• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WoW Beta Testers List

akascream said:
Beta accounts are still going for like 300 bucks on ebay. So tempting. :(

That would be a colossal waste of money (not to mention that Blizzard will disable any account they see auctioned). The beta is fun, but many things are disabled currently.

akascream

Banned
I'd spend 100 easy to get in the beta. And no offense to Blizzard, but how do they know what account to cancel? Besides.. I doubt they are very upset about thier game being so anticipated that beta accounts are being sold. I never had any problems selling D2 loot back in the day.

akascream said:
I'd spend 100 easy to get in the beta. And no offense to Blizzard, but how do they know what account to cancel? Besides.. I doubt they are very upset about thier game being so anticipated that beta accounts are being sold. I never had any problems selling D2 loot back in the day.

Umm, Blizzard is very adamant about taking down WoW beta auctions. I can easily find out who sells which WoW beta auctions, as in, their home phone and address. Ownage follows shortly thereafter.

Anyone know if Talents have always been disabled or if it's just recently. It's really boring leveling up as I have barely any skills points (4 at level 4), and the only skills I can buy (Learn Sword/Stave) cost 50 skill points each! It says I have 3 Talent points, but Talents is FUBARed. The only thing that's keeping me playing is the promise of new magic spells for my Warlock (just got my Imp today).

ManaByte

Gold Member
DJ Demon J said:
Anyone know if Talents have always been disabled or if it's just recently. It's really boring leveling up as I have barely any skills points (4 at level 4), and the only skills I can buy (Learn Sword/Stave) cost 50 skill points each! It says I have 3 Talent points, but Talents is FUBARed. The only thing that's keeping me playing is the promise of new magic spells for my Warlock (just got my Imp today).

Talents have been disabled since the last push (before this one).

JackFrost2012 said:
They should be in next push, and they're gonna rock city blocks!

Are they going to revert skills/stats back to manual increase or is auto-increasing skills/stats a part of the gameplay--i.e., Defense, Demon Magic, etc. skills rising as you level automatically along with auto-rising stats like VIT, STR, AGI, etc.?

DJ Demon J said:
Are they going to revert skills/stats back to manual increase or is auto-increasing skills/stats a part of the gameplay--i.e., Defense, Demon Magic, etc. skills rising as you level automatically along with auto-rising stats like VIT, STR, AGI, etc.?

I'm not sure exactly how they're going to work, but the impression I get is that talents will be well fleshed out complementary to the existing skills and stats. Auto-rising stats doesn't bother me - I always maxed out my potential stats, anyways - but skills/spells will continue to require use to increase. Talents will affect the ways and effectiveness of which your skills/spells can be used.

JackFrost2012 said:
I'm not sure exactly how they're going to work, but the impression I get is that talents will be well fleshed out complementary to the existing skills and stats. Auto-rising stats doesn't bother me - I always maxed out my potential stats, anyways - but skills/spells will continue to require use to increase. Talents will affect the ways and effectiveness of which your skills/spells can be used.

I guess the root of my question is: Is it possible to obtain every skill/talent (barrring exclusive class talents/skills) by the highest level? Or is there an element of picking and choosing (like in CoH, where you can only have 20 powers out of 44 based on the subsets you choose).

DJ Demon J said:
I guess the root of my question is: Is it possible to obtain every skill/talent (barrring exclusive class talents/skills) by the highest level? Or is there an element of picking and choosing (like in CoH, where you can only have 20 powers out of 44 based on the subsets you choose).

Every skill, yes, since you just buy those in stores for money.

Talent points are highly limited by level. Also, I think it's possible that you'll be able to assign multiple "points" into a single talent to increase its effectiveness. So though everyone will have the same skills available, the talents will allow them to differentiate their characters according to their play style. So talents are going to be more "this or that" choices. Gain a new talent or improve an existing one? Focus on this set of talents or that? Should be interestnig.

JackFrost2012 said:
Every skill, yes, since you just buy those in stores for money.

Talent points are highly limited by level. Also, I think it's possible that you'll be able to assign multiple "points" into a single talent to increase its effectiveness. So though everyone will have the same skills available, the talents will allow them to differentiate their characters according to their play style. So talents are going to be more "this or that" choices. Gain a new talent or improve an existing one? Focus on this set of talents or that? Should be interestnig.

Not skills like magic spells, I'm talking about skills like learning to use new weapons or crafting skills. How will these work? Right now I have 4 skills points...Learning to wield swords would take 100 skill points! Unless there is a staggered level earning (1 for 1st, 2 for 2nd, so on) for skill points or if it's a continuous, non-leveling-related earning, I don't see how you can learn those skills and customize your character.

DJ Demon J said:
Not skills like magic spells, I'm talking about skills like learning to use new weapons or crafting skills.

Ah, trade skills you could theoretically learn them all and max them all out. But it would take a verrrrrrrrrrrrry long time. Maybe something to keep you busy once you hit L60. ;)

akascream

Banned
I'm done bitching about not being in beta.. but I'm real curious about the mechanics. Any of you guys studied the numbers? I have a few questions regarding agro.

How much damage in hate does taunt generate?
How much hate does feint reduce?

Do dots generate hate? If so, when is the hate generated?.. at the time the dot is used?.. or when damage is actually dealt? Is the hate<->damage ratio the same as pure dps?

I've read that agro range depends on level. Does level effect any other aspect of Hate, ie. how much is generated, ect?

Trying to get a feel for agro in general. If there are two warriors fighting two different mobs (and neither warrior has damaged the other's mob), how do the hate tables work? Do you get hate for just being near the mob you haven't damaged? What about for being in a party with somebody who has done lots of damage to it? If a Priest was to heal one of these warriors, would he generate the same Hate from both mobs?

In the 'basics' section of the webpage, it says: "Spirit - Increases health and mana regeneration. Spirit affects all characters' mana and hit point regeneration rates in and out of combat." But rogues have 'energy', warriors have 'rage'. Is this essentially the same thing? I think warriors have to build up rage, but a rogue's energy regens like mana. Does spirit effect this?

firex said:
I did a little ghost exploring into some off limits zones while I was getting flight paths on my horde priest on the PVE server. I've since switched to the PVP server, though.

Holy crap, you found the Dark Portal. You won the Internet!!

Trasher

I was wondering if any of you know for sure how much WoW will cost monthly. I have heard some rumors that it will be 20 bucks a month, but that is an absurb amount of money! I hope someone will tell me it will be less than that.....

akascream

Banned
I'd actually prefer at least 20-30 bucks a month. It will ease server load, filter annoying bnet kiddies and be just as (possibly more) profitable.

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
To those in the WoW beta: does the game play anything like Guild Wars?

firex

I didn't find the Dark Portal (as in discover it first) really. Some other guy on the WOW forums found it, wouldn't say where, and I did a little detective work (not too much really, just kind of had to say "gee, there's 3 open zones with red rocks and one that's off limits with a big crater in it...") and got there. It's definitely an endgame zone, though, as outside of it is a horde ghost npc called "Fallen Hero of the Horde" who warns you about how completely devastating the upcoming zone (guarded by Guardians of Blizzard, which is why I went in as a ghost) is. I was actually more impressed with the Blackrock Mountain zone... that will be a kickass zone and hopefully the instance is just as creepy. There are a few other off limits zones in NE lands like Felwood and Azshara. Felwood is probably going to be THE endgame zone for the alliance, as it's where the major battles in the end of Warcraft 3 happened.

Another off limits zone is just east of the Undead's newbie zone, and it's got some familiar stuff for the War3 fans like me. If you're playing a Mage, I think you can still cast the Invisibility spell that you learn at level 26 and go past Guardians of Blizzard... but it's not like they just have them at the edge of the different zones, they're all over the place (I found this out by sending in the Warlock summon that can scout areas).

I've gotta admit, when you're new to the game, the low level content seems fucking awesome... but it's boring compared to the level 20+ (and especially 25-30 and higher) content in the game. Quests don't necessarily improve, but you get more mob variety and do more exploring. And there's one section of a zone that's pretty fun to go through and good for a bit of a laugh.

A good thing to remember if you're new to WOW is that the zones always progress like this:
1) Capital city zone - You start out in a newbie town and get to about level 5 doing quests there. Then you go on to a slightly bigger town on the road to your race's capital, where you can get quests that generally take you from level 4-5 up to 10-12.

2) Then you get to branch out a bit - a few quests taking you to another race's capital, and a quest or two to lead you into a nearby, higher level zone. Those two/three zones tend to give you places to level up between levels 10-20, and generally speaking, you might wind up getting quests too hard at level 15 or so for your current zone, at which point you might want to go travel to one of the other 10-20 zones and do their quests.

3) After this you might get a small introduction to a higher level zone, and the amount of places you can go expands a bit.

4) It's when you hit level 30 that you can really go just about anywhere, and after awhile you really will go just about anywhere and everywhere doing different quests. Level 30 takes you to a lot of zones where different factions might be questing, and even some crossover in instance dungeons.

5) I haven't gotten this high yet, but the level 40 and higher stuff seems the same as the 30+ zones. I do notice that the higher the zone, the more stylized it looks. If you think Duskwood is awesome, wait'll you get to try places like Desolace, Tanaris, The Hinterlands, Arathi Highlands (ok, to some this might be a bit underwhelming, but I personally think it's amazing), Alterac Mountains, and Felaras.

Also at about level 18 or 20, you'll probably get your first instance dungeon quest (or group of quests). The game tends to introduce you to an instance (by far my favorite part of the game so far) at these levels, and you can tackle them for a lot of exp, skill points, and a chance at some great loot, or you can ignore them and keep questing in the overworld. I find the instance quests are the coolest though - Firstly because they require good teamwork to survive, secondly because they've always got challenges to throw at you, and thirdly because the bosses are pretty interesting (even if they look mundane, like the boss of Razorfen Kraul did last phase).

The Alliance side is way more polished than the Horde side right now, but I still prefer the Horde's races and zones. Blizzard just wants to get the Alliance perfect before they get to work on the Horde, it seems, which isn't that much of a bad idea. The Alliance basically has better quests and some cool zone events, which the Horde doesn't have, but the zones with content for both factions are different and cool.

Also, I've played every class but Shaman and Rogue to level 15 or higher (most of them to level 20 or higher, the only ones that didn't get there were my Paladin and Druid), so feel free to ask how Mages, Priests, Warlocks, Warriors, Paladins, and Druids play. I haven't really gotten a desire to try out Rogues or Shaman, and Hunters aren't in yet.

firex

Phase 1 - Probably about 6 hours, maybe a little more. I played NOLF2 while it was downloading.

Phase 2 - Lots faster, it might have taken me 3 hours.

Phase 3 - About as long as Phase 1, maybe longer... I watched the Pistons beat the shit out of the Lakers in Game 5 while it was downloading.

If it takes a really long time to download the client, I suggest forwarding bittorrent's ports on your router. When I did that, my download speed shot up after awhile.

golem

lowerin the pimp hand... ;)

wowpvp2.jpg

join the pvp server!

I'm finally on SamohtSlick, and if anyone wants to come in and help me that would be great. This is my first stab at a MMOG and I have no clue what to do.

JackFrost2012 said:
Bumping in hopes of sticky.

The new patch is out! Hooray! Auction houses! DII-style talent trees! And a new cool-looking ghost world! All this and more in the new patch!

Malrubius is up to 16, if DJ's keeping that updated.

They fixed the talents now? Sweet, now there's a reason to play.

Unfortunately, the forum won't let me edit the first post. :(

DJ Demon J said:
They fixed the talents now? Sweet, now there's a reason to play.

Caveat: only Warrior and Mage have talents working currently. The rest will come in later. Still, the talent system looks to give your character some major bonuses and allow for some major customization.

Yes, after some initial stupidage (having to put valuable talent points in axes and swords which I don't use, only to open up more interesting skills further down) I've specialized quite heavily in 2H and spear weapons, and also added more punch to most of my offensive skills.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Sorry I'm unfamiliar with WoW, but why is there a need for a seperate thread for the Hordes and the Alliances ? Does the two groups have different agendas which is not best to be seen by the other group ?

akascream

Banned
Yeah, horde wants better quests/gear and the alliance thinks they should take responsibility for thier situation and advance thier civilization.

Top Bottom