• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files multiple Nintendo Switch patents (controller, dock, architecture*)

AdropOFvenom

Neo Member
Wait, am I misunderstanding, or is the center piece on the Grip controller replaceable with your cell phone?

[0003] There are conventional controllers capable of accommodating an information processing device therein. For example, there is a controller capable of accommodating a mobile telephone by means of a left key plate and a right key plate. Specifically, the controller includes a spring for sliding one key plate toward the other key plate so that the mobile telephone is sandwiched between the left and right key plates, thereby accommodating the mobile telephone.

[0004] It is only the controller that includes a holding mechanism (i.e., the key plates), but the mobile telephone does not include a holding mechanism. Therefore, the controller can easily come off the mobile telephone.

15178984-52ouugu.png

15178984-53yfuk9.png

15178984-54yluqx.png

^Grip controller without Battery Pack, cell phone insertable? 355a on the last one looks like a release button for the battery pack?

Might explain how they intend on doing a second screen experience in games such as Mario Maker where it's kinda essential.

Yeah, if Nintendo is actually doing VR they're going to be going the "Gear VR of consoles" route instead of trying to compete with PSVR.

PSVR is the "GearVR" of consoles, only difference is that PSVR has lower resolution than GearVR (depends on the Mobile but true for almost all GearVR compatible phones). Oculus and especially Hive are technically much more advanced than Gear&PSVR.

Plum

One question still remains: how much will they cost? 15€ for each part would be great. I would Take the SNES and a GameCube One.

15€ for each would be way too cheap I think. There's a lot more going on in a Joy-Con than a Nunchuck and the latter sold for about that much brand new.

How does Splatoon gyro work with the two split independent controllers, or is it only going to accept gyro input from the right-hand JoyCon, as if you were playing with pointer controls and the right stick at the same time?

I'm guessing if you use the pro controller or the middle piece to join two Joy-Con together it'll be like playing on Wii U, where you tilt an entire controller.

McNum

VR might be just future proofing a future revision. I don't see VR happening with a 720p screen.
Probably not, I doubt they're going to use a 3DS style 3D screen to split the image for each eye at that resolution for VR.

That said, though... Head tracking for a 2D screen has some potential, too. Consider the 3DS versions of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask and how you can use gyro controls to aim the bow (making the shooting galleries hilariously trivial) and think how that could work for an HMD. It mean it works fine without one, too, and I expect Breath of the Wild to have gyro aiming on Switch, too, but still... Just because it doesn't do true VR doesn't mean an HMD is useless.

Vesves

Neo Member
Loving this info. I wonder how much of the stuff we haven't even seen yet will be in launch units. So many capabilities. Eager for a tl;dr though with the highlights.

Rösti;226640506 said:
I thought about including a disclaimer, I've done so in previous patent threads, but such seems to be ignored anyway mostly so I skipped it.

Yeah that's a good point. Anyway, this is one massive pgpub, kudos to you sifting through that for this thread!

Wait, am I misunderstanding, or is the center piece on the Grip controller replaceable with your cell phone?

^Grip controller without Battery Pack, cell phone insertable? 355a on the last one looks like a release button for the battery pack?

Might explain how they intend on doing a second screen experience in games such as Mario Maker where it's kinda essential.

No that quote is from the background section, talking about the current state of the art in similar types of devices.

Plum

PSVR is the "GearVR" of consoles, only difference is that PSVR has lower resolution than GearVR (depends on the Mobile but true for almost all GearVR compatible phones). Oculus and especially Hive are technically much more advanced than Gear&PSVR.

You misunderstand. I was talking specifically abouy the console market, of which PSVR is currently the most expensive, most premium product. A Switch VR solution might be equivalent to the Gear VR when compared to the OR or Vive, a much cheaper alternative that isn't even trying to offer the same level of quality.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

No. They just want to differentiate their patent from mobile controllers patents.

The battery pack is in the Joy-con grip.

Scrawnton

Whats the point of that?
If the graphical capabilities between console mode and handheld mode are huge, some games may not be possible in handheld mode.

Remember that assassins creed thing where they said the main game would be played on the tv and the handheld mode would allow to do mini games or side content and everyone freaked out?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Multiplayer possiblilies on a single Switch (docked or undocked)

1 console = 2 players
2 console = 4 players

Effin' brilliant.

The Hermit

I bet Nintendo won't allow that.

I know, It goes totally the main idea of the thing.

But maybe after a few years, after the Switch has already established enough sales.

I won't be surprised if that happens with the PS4Pro later too

Not only that but I don't think the dock's fan is going to allow for that much extra power.

There's also that. The extra power is so negligible it doesn't make up for the lack of mobility

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
How does Splatoon gyro work with the two split independent controllers, or is it only going to accept gyro input from the right-hand JoyCon, as if you were playing with pointer controls and the right stick at the same time?

I'm guessing if you use the pro controller or the middle piece to join two Joy-Con together it'll be like playing on Wii U, where you tilt an entire controller.

There is a gyro in the tablet itself which I guess it takes precedence when Joy-cons are attached.

Damn that's a huge amount of detail good job as usual rosti. VR has me excited but i'm wondering the resolution of the screen because 720p might be to low for decent vr. But if they do release a hmd just give metroid prime with it and I'll be happy.

This is too much for me. It is so elegantly designed and how Nintendo stuff all those things into a handheld is mind-blowing even though they are only on paper (for now). I am going to bed soon, hopefully some fine gentlemen or ladies can write a summary before I wake up next morning.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
You misunderstand. I was talking specifically abouy the console market, of which PSVR is currently the most expensive, most premium product. A Switch VR solution might be equivalent to the Gear VR when compared to the OR or Vive, a much cheaper alternative that isn't even trying to offer the same level of quality.

PSVR is also the least premium VR product on console too.

Metal B

1 console = 2 players
2 console = 4 players

Effin' brilliant.
If you can buy multiple Joycon, you can use four of them at the same time. Technically you can play 4 Player Multiplayer anywhere as long as you have enough Joycons with you. Since they are small, this would be pretty awesome (of course you have to deal with the small Screen).

Forgetting VR for a moment, would an HMD allow me to, say, play VC games in some sort of cinema mode, earphones plugged in, and allow me to tune out on a long car trip?

Vic

Isn't a relatively high display refresh rate necessary for a decent VR experience?

I am assuming no on board storage capacity in this?

Didn't see this addressed, so:
[0397] The main unit 2 includes a first slot interface (hereinafter abbreviated as "I/F") 91. The main unit 2 also includes a second slot I/F 92. The slot I/Fs 91 and 92 are connected to the CPU 81. The first slot I/F 91 is connected to the first slot 23, and reads and writes data from and to a storage medium of the first type (e.g., an SD card) inserted in the first slot 23, in response to an instruction from the CPU 81. The second slot I/F 92 is connected to the second slot 24, and reads and writes data from and to a storage medium of the second type (e.g., a dedicated memory card) inserted in the second slot 24, in response to an instruction from the CPU 81.

Slot 24 being this thing, on the bottom of the unit:
ex6eXrB.png

The Hermit

The patent app does include embodiments where the nature of the game (rules, etc.) are changed when docked. That could be interesting for mini-games I guess.

Interesting.

Maybe the power difference between docked vs mobile is considerable.

There will be a lot of testing once the Switch comes out.

Xdrive05

Y'know, these patents including the VR one would likely apply for Switch refreshes too. So in a few years the Switch Pro (or whatever) could have a 4K screen, making the VR function perfectly viable. Not sure the current one's 720p would look so hot for that purpose.

oti

Banned
Forgetting VR for a moment, would an HMD allow me to, say, play VC games in some sort of cinema mode, earphones plugged in, and allow me to tune out on a long car trip?

As long as Nintendo offers a cinema mode then sure. Question is whether you'd actually want to do that on a 720p screen. It wouldn't be pretty.

So do the Joy-Cons actually have two shoulder buttons each? It somehow looked like they do.

If so that would be awesome and would give a lot more options in terms of button configurations.

AdropOFvenom

Neo Member
Yeah that's a good point. Anyway, this is one massive pgpub, kudos to you sifting through that for this thread!

No that quote is from the background section, talking about the current state of the art in similar types of devices.

Ah, thats a letdown, that's a feature I would've liked to see. Still not sure how a Mario Maker Switch is supposed to work, IR pointer feels like it'd be annoying.

ZeroX03

Banned
Isn't a relatively high display refresh rate necessary for a decent VR experience?

This isn't going to be a decent VR experience. If they do release a head mount for it, it'll be very entry level.

So do the Joy-Cons actually have two shoulder buttons each? It somehow looked like they do.

If so that would be awesome and would give a lot more options in terms of button configurations.

Two shoulder buttons in both vertical and horizontal it seems!

L~A

I bet Nintendo won't allow that.

Why wouldn't they? They never forced developers to use the GamePad (Wii U), so I don't see why they'd force anything with the Switch.

Though honestly, having dock-only games seem pointless, the dock is just a dock, and not a magical device that increase by 10 the power of the device.

Now, for handheld-mode only games, that's a different story.

I forgot to look for that. The assumption was that there might be a sensor bar at the top of the bezel that sticks out above the dock.

Anything about a camera?

They do mention the IR camera (68, figure 6) on the bottom of the right joycon, and say that it could be replaced with a visible light camera in other embodiments. They also make a general statement about cameras being possible as additional input devices.

Yes they each have a shoulder, a trigger, and an L and R button on the side which slides into the tablet.

EDarkness

For as small as those joycons are, they have a ton of buttons on them. I'm interested in all of the different types of joycons they'll have available in the future. So many possibilities there.

Vic

This isn't going to be a decent VR experience. If they do release a head mount for it, it'll be very entry level.
Yeah, I'm not excepting much. It'll be a proof-of-concept feature more than an anything else.

Plum

Ah, thats a letdown, that's a feature I would've liked to see. Still not sure how a Mario Maker Switch is supposed to work, IR pointer feels like it'd be annoying.

Seeing as it's entirely grid-based SMM would be a lot less annoying than say, Little Big Planet with an IR pointer.

Top Bottom