• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

So I am leaving C21. They're incredibly adamant about having me prove that I am unavailable on the new hours they want me to work.

Unless I find work right away, I have a lot of free time since I just finished school. Going to spend the free time practicing photography and cinematography. You guys know any locations that are interesting to shoot?
I usually do my shoots in Central Park and the Highline, I do a good amount of street portraits in the Duffy Square area. Southstreet Seaport is ok, I was in Riverside Park a couple of weeks ago. Bryant Park can be interesting at times depending on what's going on.

That's a load of crap but leaving the wonderful world of retail behind is for the best. Are you transferring to a senior CUNY college or you going to take time off?

I was in Red Hook for the first time last Sunday and liked the area a lot. I was at the Valentino Pier hanging out there for a while and enjoying the view. The warehouses in the area put Williamsburg's last remaining warehouses to shame. I also think the area near the Pulaski Bridge in Greenpoint seems pretty interesting and anywhere where the BQE extends. It ultimately depends on what kind of stuff you're looking to shoot though. I'm a sucker for warehouses, graffiti, and urban decay.

For any comic book fans out there, this might be of interest to check out:

If you haven't already, you should definitely check out the Waste Water Treatment plant in Greenpoint.

dickroach

anyone going to that Play NYC Convention at terminal 5 this weekend? is that thing still happening? really bad lack of promotion/updates/etc

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
anyone going to that Play NYC Convention at terminal 5 this weekend? is that thing still happening? really bad lack of promotion/updates/etc

Was planning on at least going on Saturday, but probably not in the cards anymore since I'm dealing with a family emergency right now.

If anyone is going, I hope they take lots of pics. Would like to know how it is.

I usually do my shoots in Central Park and the Highline, I do a good amount of street portraits in the Duffy Square area. Southstreet Seaport is ok, I was in Riverside Park a couple of weeks ago. Bryant Park can be interesting at times depending on what's going on.

Thanks. I haven't been to Southstreet seaport in ages. Use to live in the LES.

Jhoan

If you haven't already, you should definitely check out the Waste Water Treatment plant in Greenpoint.
Sounds like an interesting place. How far is it from the Pulaski Bridge?
I'm volunteering there this weekend. Have mandatory orientation tomorrow night.

They are worried about the success of it but I think we got a solid group of con veterans in our ranks. I've worked a bunch of newbie cons and some of them were bad, whereas others had a good team of people behind the scenes. I'll have a good idea of how many people are in tomorrow night.

@seductivepancakes, tonight's film that I saw, Beach Rats was filmed in South Brooklyn/Coney Island. The actors were recruited from the area. You should look into it.

Penguin

I guess diff for me since know the guy who is running/organizing it and always see updates for it. Also think was doing press this week.

But not going with all of the SummerSlam activities this week gonna be drained.

Also how does mid-Sept sound for our DnD day?

Jhoan

I guess diff for me since know the guy who is running/organizing it and always see updates for it. Also think was doing press this week.

But not going with all of the SummerSlam activities this week gonna be drained.

Also how does mid-Sept sound for our DnD day?

Hmm...mid September looks ugly for the picture for me personally. I'm planning on signing up to volunteer for Photoville at Brooklyn Bridge Plaza so if we were to meet at Fulton Mall, that could work. I'm going to be volunteering at an event almost weekend in September; I'll be uber busy the weekend of the 23rd/24th.

Oh and I didn't hear any thunder up here but I can confirm that it is indeed humid. I'm pretty sure that I'll be sweating up a storm even after showering and hitting the gym today.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hmm...mid September looks ugly for the picture for me personally. I'm planning on signing up to volunteer for Photoville at Brooklyn Bridge Plaza so if we were to meet at Fulton Mall, that could work. I'm going to be volunteering at an event almost weekend in September; I'll be uber busy the weekend of the 23rd/24th.

Oh and I didn't hear any thunder up here but I can confirm that it is indeed humid. I'm pretty sure that I'll be sweating up a storm even after showering and hitting the gym today.

I'm out of state for the second week of October, so September is cool for me.

Seigyoku

There was rain this morning??

(Full disclosure, when I lived in California I regularly slept through earthquakes. A roommate thought I was a dead once because I didn't budge as the whole room moved.)

Jhoan

But is there a place near Fulton Mall that allows booze? Million dollar question.

For anyone going to Play NYC tomorrow, I'll be working at the info booth. Unfortunately, the shirts were lost in transition so volunteers will be wearing generic black shirts. Can't miss my long, curly hair that looks like Sideshow Bob. I'm probably going to switch lanyards to either a Final Fantasy one with all the protagonists in 8 bit or one that has a ton of pins on it.

Attendees are getting free Monster energy drink, Monster lanyard (limited supply), a USB drive, and a fruit bar among other swag goodies. The venue is small but cool. Entrance is on 55th between 11th and 12th.

Joe

Can anyone recommend a chill bar or lounge within walking distance of Herald Square/Penn Station?

I'm catching up with an old friend and I know most bars in that area are loud as fuck.

Mainly just looking for a chill environment and a crowd that skews a little older.

Well left my job at Century 21. As far as retail jobs go, it is a shit place to work. I don't plan on giving them business until they start treating their employees better and create a more sanitary working environment.

Now I am officially unemployed. Commuting into the city is gonna suck with no income lol

hoggert

5:47am and some dude playing splatoon2 on the train lol
Christ some half naked guy on something or another tried/threatened to kill himself by dropping down between the cars. Stopped when some Spanish kid talked him down I think? I think the fucked guy couldn't understand him but was just happy enough to stop because someone showed him concern. fucking hell.

Fuchsdh

Christ some half naked guy on something or another tried/threatened to kill himself by dropping down between the cars. Stopped when some Spanish kid talked him down I think? I think the fucked guy couldn't understand him but was just happy enough to stop because someone showed him concern. fucking hell.

Train's been a bundle of excitement recently. Was on a packed 5 train when this white lady exploded at a guy that he was shoving his dick in her face (from all appearances, he was standing normally, and she got triggered being eye level with his crotch.) She starts screaming that she's a lawyer and he'll go to jail for 30 years. She in turn sets off a black lady near here who threatens to punch her teeth in if she doesn't stop talking to her, and keeps up the screaming long after the white lady has been cowed to silence. People around her try and calm her down, which only makes her more unhinged. Was a collective exodus from our car once we got to 86th street.

Yea I feel like shit is always going down at night in the subway.

Penguin

Heck of a commute

Train's been a bundle of excitement recently. Was on a packed 5 train when this white lady exploded at a guy that he was shoving his dick in her face (from all appearances, he was standing normally, and she got triggered being eye level with his crotch.) She starts screaming that she's a lawyer and he'll go to jail for 30 years. She in turn sets off a black lady near here who threatens to punch her teeth in if she doesn't stop talking to her, and keeps up the screaming long after the white lady has been cowed to silence. People around her try and calm her down, which only makes her more unhinged. Was a collective exodus from our car once we got to 86th street.

Shit like this is why I try to take the Q home to the UES whenever possible.

Worst I've seen on the Q are a few homeless people, not an issue. The 4/5 trains are notoriously shitty.

Hey guys,

Could you please spare some advice for this tourist from Costa Rica?

I will have 4 full days in NY next week. I'm traveling with my wife. This would be her first time there and I have been to NY a couple of times already, but on business, so I haven't had the chance to really experience it.

We have a rough itinerary draft of the things we would like to do and I would like to get some input. Keep in mind that we are not planning to see the museums, zoo or botanical garden 100%. We would just do a 2-3 hour tour each and walk around the area where these places are.

Anyway, here it is:

Day 1
The MET
American Museum of Natural History
Times Square
Rockefeller Center

Day 2
High Line Park
Chelsea Market
Maybe a bit more of Central Park or some shopping
Paul McCartney concert

Day 3
9/11 Memorial
Soho
Chinatown

Day 4
Bronx Zoo
Botanical Garden
Little Italy

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fuchsdh

Hey guys,

Could you please spare some advice for this tourist from Costa Rica?

I will have 4 full days in NY next week. I'm traveling with my wife. This would be her first time there and I have been to NY a couple of times already, but on business, so I haven't had the chance to really experience it.

We have a rough itinerary draft of the things we would like to do and I would like to get some input. Keep in mind that we are not planning to see the museums, zoo or botanical garden 100%. We would just do a 2-3 hour tour each and walk around the area where these places are.

Anyway, here it is:

Day 1
The MET
American Museum of Natural History
Times Square
Rockefeller Center

Day 2
High Line Park
Chelsea Market
Maybe a bit more of Central Park or some shopping
Paul McCartney concert

Day 3
9/11 Memorial
Soho
Chinatown

Day 4
Bronx Zoo
Botanical Garden
Little Italy

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I know you say you aren't trying to 100% a museum, but you could easily spend two full days at the Met, it's huge. You may want to plan a bit more time for it, unless you're just going to do the Chinese tourist blitz through the big names.

Also, the Met and AMNH have pay-what-you-want suggested donations, but only if you pay in person (kiosks and the like will hit you full price).

Also, you should do Little Italy on Day 3. It's basically been eaten by Chinatown so there's no point in going up to the Bronx and then coming back downtown for four square blocks.

I know you say you aren't trying to 100% a museum, but you could easily spend two full days at the Met, it's huge. You may want to plan a bit more time for it, unless you're just going to do the Chinese tourist blitz through the big names.

Also, the Met and AMNH have pay-what-you-want suggested donations, but only if you pay in person (kiosks and the like will hit you full price).

Also, you should do Little Italy on Day 3. It's basically been eaten by Chinatown so there's no point in going up to the Bronx and then coming back downtown for four square blocks.

I have been to the Met, so I get what you are saying, but I know my wife won't like to walk all that much in a museum hehehe.

As for Little Italy, I was doing some research and read about the "real" Little Italy being in the Bronx, Arthur Avenue specifically. Is this true or am I being conned? I mostly want some great italian food. :p

I have been to the Met, so I get what you are saying, but I know my wife won't like to walk all that much in a museum hehehe.

As for Little Italy, I was doing some research and read about the "real" Little Italy being in the Bronx, Arthur Avenue specifically. Is this true or am I being conned? I mostly want some great italian food. :p

Yeah, I'd pick one museum or the other on day one -- personally like the Met more than Natural History, though the latter has dinosaur bones.

Arthur Ave is legit - Little Italy in Manhattan is kind of a scam. You can't go wrong with Enzo's or Zero Otto Nove (though there's also a solid location in Flatiron, which is less of a schlep - but you'll be in the Bronx for the zoo, so you're good).

Fuchsdh

Oh, sorry, didn't know you were talking about Arthur Ave. Yeah it's bigger and less touristy up there and you'll be close to the Zoo anyhow.

At this point going by who's actually Italian Little Italy in Manhattan doesn't exist anymore, everyone decamped to the boroughs or Jersey. Chinatown took over from the Italians, before the Italians it was the Irish, before the Irish it was actually the posh part of New York, way back when. </history>

TimmmV

Hi Everyone - I have another tourist noob question to ask if possible?

Me and my GF will be in NYC for a couple of weeks from this Saturday, and thought it would be good to go and see IT while over there, but don't really know which cinemas would be best to go to - the nearest one to where we are staying is AMC Magic Johnson Harlem 9, is that one ok or should I go somewhere else for better price/screen/other guests etc etc?

Thanks!

Penguin

Me and my GF will be in NYC for a couple of weeks from this Saturday, and thought it would be good to go and see IT while over there, but don't really know which cinemas would be best to go to - the nearest one to where we are staying is AMC Magic Johnson Harlem 9, is that one ok or should I go somewhere else for better price/screen/other guests etc etc?

Thanks!

Well I always recommend the Alamo
But I'm Brooklyn so a journey for you

I like Lincoln Square

Jhoan

Thanks!
The AMC Theater on 67th and Broadway is pretty solid. You can take the 1 train there. I would avoid the Times Square AMC theatre. The Regal Cinema near Union Square is also pretty solid. If you want a premium experience without any annoying disturbances, then you definitely can't go wrong with making the trek to the Alamo Drafthouse inside Fulton Mall in downtown Brooklyn by Jay Street. It has the added perk of being near the Brooklyn Bridge/DUMBO for good views and good pizza.

Speaking of Brooklyn, this isn't the DnD meetup we've discussed but it's a board game thing. We're getting the gang together this Saturday:

GAFDekalb.jpg

hoggert

Speaking of Brooklyn, this isn't the DnD meetup we've discussed but it's a board game thing. We're getting the gang together this Saturday:

Goddammit, I've been so out of it lately. What games and such will be played? Might finally meet up with you guys depending on gf, etc.

Jhoan

Goddammit, I've been so out of it lately. What games and such will be played? Might finally meet up with you guys depending on gf, etc.
So far we have Uno, Gwent, possibly Lascaux, The Wisconsin Dance Hustle, among others. Also there will be booze stops at Trader Joe's for room temperature six packs and snacks. This can only bode well.

TimmmV

Well I always recommend the Alamo
But I'm Brooklyn so a journey for you

I like Lincoln Square

The AMC Theater on 67th and Broadway is pretty solid. You can take the 1 train there. I would avoid the Times Square AMC theatre. The Regal Cinema near Union Square is also pretty solid. If you want a premium experience without any annoying disturbances, then you definitely can't go wrong with making the trek to the Alamo Drafthouse inside Fulton Mall in downtown Brooklyn by Jay Street. It has the added perk of being near the Brooklyn Bridge/DUMBO for good views and good pizza.

Checked out the Alamo and it looks good - the pizza suggestion sounds great as well. We will be in Brooklyn plenty of times while there, so will just make sure to squeeze that in as well!

Thanks for your help too!

hoggert

So far we have Uno, Gwent, possibly Lascaux, The Wisconsin Dance Hustle, among others. Also there will be booze stops at Trader Joe's for room temperature six packs and snacks. This can only bode well.
Sounds cool. Unfortunately, I just got called in for overtime this weekend so prob not going make it but if I do I'll hit you up on discord about other games to bring. I have Gwent too lol, plus Catan, Dominion, and a few other good group games that don't require a ton of table space.

hoggert

Hex Cafe on 111th and Broadway is amazing. Really amazing retail stock and a shit ton of random good games to play. Dunno who would ever play mage knight or other longplaytime games in cafe thou lol. Met the owner and same guy from the uncommons and Brooklyn strategist.

Peltz

I lived on Arthur Ave back in college. It's legit as fuck.

Top Bottom