• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Aizo

Banned
I laughed at this panel. Does Atom have a power I didn't know about called self immolation?
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGIpIJbUwAARE7D.jpg[/IMG]

Aizo

Banned
Honestly I didn't get it. But don't explain it, that'll ruin the joke.

Read Black Science volume 5. Pace has slowed down but I'm really happy with the direction the series is looking to take.
I won't explain the joke...
unless you quote this post to see the secret.

Read Black Science volume 5. Pace has slowed down but I'm really happy with the direction the series is looking to take.

Mmm I much preferred 4-5 to the earlier volumes. The art is unquestionably amazing throughout and the worlds they go to are pretty cool but I didn't really like the pacing in the earlier books, and honestly I felt like I was being told by Remender why a character was interesting, deep or flawed oppose to actually seeing, experiencing and coming to that conclusion myself; I was kind of apathetic to McKay. Also, while this is a kind of general concern with his last few years of work, Remender's love for that
shock GoT main character style death that isn't so shocking after awhile
rears it's head too.

However. All that negative to say that the way he pays everything off that's happened so far in the newer books, slows the pace and actually digs in to the characters, I think he's brought the series to an interesting place and almost kind of made me forgive him for the first few volumes frustrations; it kind of makes it all worth it:
I really didn't like being told Grant McKay over and over was this flawed but interesting fellow I should root for, but seeing him completely strip the character down to nothing and make the character face that ego head on is very, very well done
and it does kind of weave the whole thing together.

My only struggle now actually is something that has popped up over in Deadly Class too: Dinisio is good on colours but it just feels less than what it was before with White. I find the change really jarring, and strange since I've experienced a similar feeling with Deadly Class' change in colourist (none of the colourists are the same folks it's more the trend I'm comparing)

Mmm I much preferred 4-5 to the earlier volumes. The art is unquestionably amazing throughout and the worlds they go to are pretty cool but I didn't really like the pacing in the earlier books, and honestly I felt like I was being told by Remender why a character was interesting, deep or flawed oppose to actually seeing, experiencing and coming to that conclusion myself; I was kind of apathetic to McKay. Also, while this is a kind of general concern with his last few years of work, Remender's love for that
shock GoT main character style death that isn't so shocking after awhile
rears it's head too.

However. All that negative to say that the way he pays everything off that's happened so far in the newer books, slows the pace and actually digs in to the characters, I think he's brought the series to an interesting place and almost kind of made me forgive him for the first few volumes frustrations; it kind of makes it all worth it:
I really didn't like being told Grant McKay over and over was this flawed but interesting fellow I should root for, but seeing him completely strip the character down to nothing and make the character face that ego head on is very, very well done
and it does kind of weave the whole thing together.

My only struggle now actually is something that has popped up over in Deadly Class too: Dinisio is good on colours but it just feels less than what it was before with White. I find the change really jarring, and strange since I've experienced a similar feeling with Deadly Class' change in colourist (none of the colourists are the same folks it's more the trend I'm comparing)

I feel the first 3 volumes are supposed to be this hectic, chaotic, mad-dash, end of the world escape. The crew never really get a break to sit down and take stock. And I like that a hell of a lot. It's something that's skipped over in other books. I think reading the trades help sell that idea alot.

You aren't suppose to really side with Grant until Godworld. To me the title of the first arc 'How to fall Forever' is really about Grant as well as the concept. He was on a downward spiral and took that into other dimensions and brought his kids along for the ride.

I honestly haven't noticed the colour situation.

I feel the first 3 volumes are supposed to be this hectic, chaotic, mad-dash, end of the world escape. The crew never really get a break to sit down and take stock. And I like that a hell of a lot. It's something that's skipped over in other books. I think reading the trades help sell that idea alot.

You aren't suppose to really side with Grant until Godworld. To me the title of the first arc 'How to fall Forever' is really about Grant as well as the concept. He was on a downward spiral and took that into other dimensions and brought his kids along for the ride.

I honestly haven't noticed the colour situation.

I did read them in trade, so I don't think I had any different experience in the reading, just the interpretation. I do agree that it was supposed to be hectic, but I think hte book suffered for it when it came to the characters and while it worked as an adrenaline rush, it was kind of sad to see so many interesting worlds and situations unexplored outside of danger and death. I think Remender's heavy pivot and as he described it himself *reboot* of the series speaks for itself but I appreciate you feel differently on the McKay thing.

Ironically I don't side with him post volume 4, I just think Remender started presenting him as what he clearly is and gave him the consequences for his behaviour needed to take the character seriously haha. Regardless, I considered dropping it at vol 3 whereas now I am pretty interested in where things go, so there's that.

I did read them in trade, so I don't think I had any different experience in the reading, just the interpretation. I do agree that it was supposed to be hectic, but I think hte book suffered for it when it came to the characters and while it worked as an adrenaline rush, it was kind of sad to see so many interesting worlds and situations unexplored outside of danger and death. I think Remender's heavy pivot and as he described it himself *reboot* of the series speaks for itself but I appreciate you feel differently on the McKay thing.

Ironically I don't side with him post volume 4, I just think Remender started presenting him as what he clearly is and gave him the consequences for his behaviour needed to take the character seriously haha. Regardless, I considered dropping it at vol 3 whereas now I am pretty interested in where things go, so there's that.

Yeah I enjoyed that aspect of it a hell of a lot and by extension the use of other worlds reminds me of Primer, where in you aren't supposed to see a detailed picture but they at to the bigger picture of the chaos of interdimensional travel.

I'm interested to see how being stupid and forced to be in the asylum will help Grant in the long run. I'm glad Remeder didn't just lean into the rescuing the family angle because it's too predictable and the unpredictability is what hooks me.

Mr. Skeleton, I explained the joke for you.
Please laugh.

IT'S CAPTAIN! And did you!?

Messi

Don't we already have a recommendations thread by Zombine? The start up thread is a recommendation thread no?

Aizo

Banned
Don't we already have a recommendations thread by Zombine? The start up thread is a recommendation thread no?
Kinda. It's also super dead, though. Cough. Zombine.
Honestly, though, it is a bit different. Zombine's thread is very good, but it's not just about general recommendations.

Messi

What's in two months?

Nobody ever told me if the hardcover one has higher paper quality than the softcover one.

the OHC has nicer paper usually

NYCC is in two months. Where I get to meet up with Zombine and form the ComicGAF super powers.

You sacrificed the lives of those books so you could have great savings. You monster.
DC One Million TP(which I now have the omnibus for), Sandman TP vol 1(which I have the first omnibus for(in swedish sadly))and 2 JoJo manga volumes(that I have the JoJonium volumes for now).

I'm looking forward to movember now with all the Superman mustache stuff.

Will DC support it? I hope so!

A fan has already done the work for them:
DFh1JxbU0AAqjx_.jpg

Seriously, would be great marketing for a fantastic cause. The film even comes out in November!

Nice job on the thread as usual guys.

I've been neglecting my weekly books and reading some old stuff on Marvel Unlimited for a change. My conclusion from reading Thanos Quest and Infinity Gauntlet: Thanos has issues.

Top Bottom