• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calvin and Hobbes: Share Your Favorite Strips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fafnir

Pretty much went through all of the strips looking for this one, I do this to my nephews when they try to shoot me with toy guns:

tVPbt.gif

I also remember laughing at this one back in the day:

ci3jz.gif

Nert said:
I really enjoyed all of the bizarre explanations that Calvin's dad would give him (as well as the furious reactions from his mom when she was in earshot).
They are really awesome. I like the lengths he goes instead of just admiting he doesn't know.

I also like Stupendous-Man epithets:
"Opponent of Oppression"
"Defender of Free Will"
"Lover of Liberty"

Plumbob

Kano On The Phone said:
This thread is awesome, but please, please stop with this shit. Nonsense like this is like posting a phone camera picture of a great painting. Nothing can touch the heart and relevance of the comic itself, and everything even remotely referencing Calvin and Hobbes and not done by Bill Watterson is just completely trite and unnecessary and detracts from celebrating the comic.

This is a "here, this is my favorite Calvin and Hobbes comic" thread, not a "hey, I found something vaguely related to Calvin and Hobbes on StumbleUpon 2 years ago let me show you because I just have to have something to post" thread.

There's no need to throw a fit. That picture is sweet, and it's a good tribute to the comic. If you don't like it, ignore it.

Maron

Plumbob said:
There's no need to throw a fit. That picture is sweet, and it's a good tribute to the comic. If you don't like it, ignore it.

I kinda like the picture, but it's stuff like those "final" comics where Hobbes disappears after Calvin takes medicine that bother me. I think the reason for that is that I feel it goes against Watterson's intent with the character. I preferred his explanation of him saying that Calvin sees Hobbes one way and everyone else sees him another way. It just doesn't seem like anything Watterson would ever do with Calvin, so I guess thats why I dislike it (although I guess the same thing can be argued for the daughter picture too...)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Maron said:
I kinda like the picture, but it's stuff like those "final" comics where Hobbes disappears after Calvin takes medicine that bother me. I think the reason for that is that I feel it goes against Watterson's intent with the character. I preferred his explanation of him saying that Calvin sees Hobbes one way and everyone else sees him another way. It just doesn't seem like anything Watterson would ever do with Calvin, so I guess thats why I dislike it (although I guess the same thing can be argued for the daughter picture too...)
Yup, direct quote from the 10th anniversary anthology, which included such fantastic commentary on a lot of the strips and awesome history. Loved that book as a kid.

Maron

The_Technomancer said:
Yup, direct quote from the 10th anniversary anthology, which included such fantastic commentary on a lot of the strips and awesome history. Loved that book as a kid.

Yeah, that quote in particular made a lot more sense to me as a kid than diagnosing the character. For the sake of my enjoyment of C&H, I tended to look at Hobbes the way Calvin did and not look at him as some stuffed tiger that only talks when everyone leaves.

bengraven

All the nostalgic or contemplative ones, the ones with real heart, are the best, just not the funniest.

All are fantastic though. I miss Calvin and Hobbes so much.

I have the complete collection, but I haven't pulled it out for a few years. Pure, unrivalled genius, though. No doubt about it. I love how it can be enjoyed on so many levels. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it as an 8 year and a 21 year old and every age in between. At each point I've loved it, and for various reasons. Just looking through this thread I'm finding additional depth and hilarity that I haven't before in my probably dozen plus readings of them.

Piano

Banned
Maron said:
Chill out, they're meant as a joke.

On topic, still have every single C&H book and read them regularly. Such beautiful, timeless stuff.

Plumbob said:
It's not Calvin and Hobbes. Calvin and Hobbes is in Watterson's voice and Watterson's art, especially since no merchandise or non-comic material was ever made with it.

It's at least a good attempt at it, though. That drug comic everyone posts is awful and I hate seeing it everywhere. It's like you're looking through photos of classic Paris architecture, but some guy keeps putting pictures of his dick in there to ruin it.

I started reading C&H (in French! very few other people read it there) when I was pretty young, and the question of whether Hobbes was just a stuffed animal or somehow actually came to life when no one else was around was the biggest metaphysical question i had to struggle with as a kid. Even as I was growing up, the thought he was not real felt like a lie that i couldn't not accept!

I shamefully admit never having read far side (we had very different stuff over there, and I don't think far side was known at all - garfield was, though).

So what would be the optimal age to start introducing Calvin and Hobbes to a kid? I don't have any kids of my own, but I have a godson who is 8 years old, and this thread inspired me to pick up a collection and let him read it. Do you think that's a decent age, or should I wait a little longer?

Parts

ThLunarian said:
So what would be the optimal age to start introducing Calvin and Hobbes to a kid? I don't have any kids of my own, but I have a godson who is 8 years old, and this thread inspired me to pick up a collection and let him read it. Do you think that's a decent age, or should I wait a little longer?
I started reading at that age, but bear in mind I've always adored reading anything period. I don't get how anyone couldn't love C&Hs, so go for it, and if it doesn't take just try again in a couple of years.

ThLunarian said:

I'd say wait a few more years. It can be particularly wordy at times and the philosophical ones when Calvin and Hobbes go sledding/wagoning can be hard to swallow and understand.

Lebron

I once knew a guy who said Calvin and Hobbes was shit. He ended up getting some girl pregnant at 16 and had to marry her when he turned 17(had to go to court or something like that). He hasn't been happy since I hear.

Myself, however, bought all of these over the years when the Book Fair would be held at our school. I still have them boxed up somewhere. Plan to pass them to my children, spread the love.

ThLunarian said:
I started reading them at age 6 or so, but I had to ask to have a lot of words explained to me. I still really liked them though. As I mentioned earlier in the thread though, sometimes I wonder how I even got some of them at that age...

cooljeanius said:
I started reading them at age 6 or so, but I had to ask to have a lot of words explained to me. I still really liked them though. As I mentioned earlier in the thread though, sometimes I wonder how I even got some of them at that age...
I remember not understanding half of the comics when I was younger. Then I got the full collection and read through it all and I understood every single one.

Kids are dumb.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Kano On The Phone said:
This thread is awesome, but please, please stop with this shit. Nonsense like this is like posting a phone camera picture of a great painting. Nothing can touch the heart and relevance of the comic itself, and everything even remotely referencing Calvin and Hobbes and not done by Bill Watterson is just completely trite and unnecessary and detracts from celebrating the comic.

This is a "here, this is my favorite Calvin and Hobbes comic" thread, not a "hey, I found something vaguely related to Calvin and Hobbes on StumbleUpon 2 years ago let me show you because I just have to have something to post" thread.

You're not going to like the Sequel...

Enoch

Watterson really understood that comics didn't have to be a series of joke boxes. When that format wasn't forced upon him he did great things.

3Cmvv.gif

It is actually impossible to appreciate Calvin and Hobbes enough. Out of all media, period, Calvin and Hobbes influenced me the most. Even more than the Simpsons.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
this was my favorite c+h strip as a kid, and it made 'it's psychosomatic, you need a lobotomy' my automatic response to anyone saying they were sick

Salmonax said:
I like this one.

doctor_calvin.gif

drohne said:
this was my favorite c+h strip as a kid, and it made 'it's psychosomatic, you need a lobotomy' my automatic response to anyone saying they were sick

such a classic. I'd also say C&H and Simpsons were by far the most important influences on my sense of humor.

Jintor

Oh my god, I never noticed that F-16 had two Triceratops silhouettes spraypainted on the side

That's fucking hilarious

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I love C&H more than just about anything else in the world. I really think it's helped me become who I am today.

As for favourites, most of mine have been named - Spaceman Spiff, the snowmen, the transmogrifier, and so on. There are just too many to name and to be honest every strip is my favourite.

However, one that stood out for me was the short series with "Chewing" magazine, which Calvin subscribes to thanks to his Dad's credit card.

The crazy thing is, there are so many bizarre special interest publications that a title like that could just about exist. The features were exactly the sort of thing that you find in real magazines - for example, an article mentioning that the '92 spearmints are out, and the questionnaire entitled "Does your gum deliver?"

Just a wonderful commentary on how kids are so easily manipulated by media and advertising. It's the most meaningless thing in the world, but to Calvin, these things really matter!

FooTemps

To anyone asking about an appropriate age to read C&H:

I started reading them at age 7 and I ended up especially enjoying the wagon and sled strips due to their philosophical and metaphysical nature. It's put in a tone and style that can be easily understood by children, even at a young age. The vocabulary was a bit extravagant for me when I started reading it, but contextually it was absorbed into my kid brain. Calvin waxes poetic while moving through the world at breakneck speed, what a great metaphor for childhood. Watterson linked the visual to writing so well that even a child can understand metaphor and allegory. I also especially enjoyed spaceman Spiff since everything was cool and I could relate his imaginative powers to my own. Every kid, at one point in his life, imagines himself the hero and his surroundings as some strange construct of another world they have to explore.

Cyan

Banned
ThLunarian said:
Get him the Lazy Sunday Book.

That's what first hooked me at about that age. Beautiful full color, dinosaurs, Spaceman Spiff, and more. I don't think 8 is too young--I didn't get some of the jokes, but they were still great to read.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Love the stories about people trying to find Watterson.

from wiki:
In 2005, Gene Weingarten from The Washington Post was sent with a gift of a first edition Barnaby book as an incentive for Watterson's cooperation. He passed this, along with a message, to Watterson's parents and declared he would wait in the hotel for as long as it took Watterson to contact him. The next day, Watterson's editor Lee Salem called to tell him that the cartoonist would not be coming.

Sibylus

Banned
Calvin and Hobbes is brilliant. Loved it as a kid, even though a lot of the vocabulary threw me. It's aged well and I love it just as much as I always have, was a big part of my childhood :)

I loved the beginning of one of the collections, can't remember which, that has a long poem about the monsters under Calvin's bed.

Oh, blood red eyes and tentacles!
Throbbing, pulsing ventricles!
Mucus oozing pores and frightful claws!

Worse in terms of outright scariness,
Are the suckers, multifarious,
That grab and force you in its mighty jaws.

Also, anybody remember the one where Calvin writes that story where he locks his dad in the basement, who subsequently has to live off mice and gruel for the rest of his life? So good.

bengraven

Tied with Peanuts for my favorite comic strip of all time. Both had funny jokes, social commentary and quiet, introspective moments.

My life is better because of both these comic strips.

Oh man, I gotta read every book from the first to the last as soon as I get home.

nny said:
Reading C & H takes me to such a cozy, warm place...it feels like home, somehow.

I totally understand that feeling!

Enron

Banned
SenseiJinx said:
I loved the beginning of one of the collections, can't remember which, that has a long poem about the monsters under Calvin's bed.

Oh, blood red eyes and tentacles!
Throbbing, pulsing ventricles!
Mucus oozing pores and frightful claws!

Worse in terms of outright scariness,
Are the suckers, multifarious,
That grab and force you in its mighty jaws.

Also, anybody remember the one where Calvin writes that story where he locks his dad in the basement, who subsequently has to live off mice and gruel for the rest of his life? So good.

Pretty sure that's from "Something Under the Bed is Drooling"

Oozer3993

Enron said:
Pretty sure that's from "Something Under the Bed is Drooling"

No, it's from The Essential Calvin and Hobbes treasury. Bill Waterson felt bad that the treasuries were just combinations of previously released collections so he drew a special story for each.

Yep, here's part of it. The whole thing is priceless, though, I'm going to have to dig up my collection just to go read that.

spooktober27_nauseausnocturne.jpg

I love the look of pure fear on Calvin's face.

EDIT: Oh, and I just remembered one of my favorites! Does anybody else remember the one where Calvin sells the earth to a couple of aliens for a leaf collection?

Sibylus

Banned
SenseiJinx said:
EDIT: Oh, and I just remembered one of my favorites! Does anybody else remember the one where Calvin sells the earth to a couple of aliens for a leaf collection?
Another reason why Calvin and Hobbes is such a joy to read, it has some awesome and lengthy story arcs:

hX2uw.gif

d9tOP.gif

ozUU8.gif

I5Gtr.gif

6un23.gif

PdSV9.gif

ovuhK.gif

T2iDG.gif

kYIJi.gif

UxdFr.gif

0PMTS.gif

9Diks.gif