• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake shifts to internal dev under Mobius project leader

MartyStu

What I want to know is why FFVII Remake wasn't developed in-house to begin with? It's their biggest game in years. A game of such importance being outsourced is weird to me.

I do not think they truly realized just how reverently fans hold FF7.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What I want to know is why FFVII Remake wasn't developed in-house to begin with? It's their biggest game in years. A game of such importance being outsourced is weird to me.
Resources.

It takes A LOT of people to make a modern AAA game, and Square Enix only has so much staff.

We're looking at a ton of them being eaten up by Business Division 2 (300-350 people, made Final Fantasy XV, 200+ are still on the DLC with others looking at other BD2 projects) and Business Division 5 (Final Fantasy XIV, presumably still has 200-300+ people on that game alone, plus all their other projects with even more staff).

liquidtmd

Banned

It's weird. I thought once full scale dev on FFXV winded down, internal dev on FFVIIR would ramp up hell for leather alongside CC2 development in order to get the massive project moving.

We've got two years in and it seems this 'hmm this outsourcing wasn't working, we better do it ourselves' message is nuts. Hoping we are missing major details.

duckroll

Nomura is a Cg movie director.

No he's not. That's Nozue. Even if that's a knock on Nomura directing FFVIIAC, he directed that after KH and KH2.

It would be more accurate to say that Based Lord Nomura-sama is an artist, game designer, writer, game director, CG director, creative producer, and all round procrastination god.

Slater

Banned
You joke, but I think you are closer to the truth than you realize.

I'm actually pretty serious, he does presentation well, he builds hype and has a cultish fanbase. Those are all valuable assets, but I'm pretty sure at this point he isnt cut out to be a modern day video game director.

I totally get why they tried to pair him with Tabata, on paper those two should be able to balance each other out magnificently

Neonep

I might be misunderstanding things but...why are people saying that this is going to further delay the game? If anything, I think this might speed things up.
Nope because there is things like KH3 which should come out before this.

Laplasakos

CyberConnect2 is great at flashy graphics and QTEs, not so much at anything else these days. It could be that originally Nomura intended on letting CC2 handle most of the day to day design decisions based on his notes, like how he makes all the KH games these days, but CC2 isn't delivering on what he expects.

Naoki Hamaguchi's involvement was already highlighted in the recruitment notice, where he talked about how he would be the development manager overseeing the management of the internal development staff. Mobius also didn't have a standard "director" role as far as they've made public, and his role was also 'Project Lead", a more management-centric role than a creative lead one. He was previously a lead programmer on all 3 FFXIII titles.

I am so confused about this ''project lead''. I mean it sounds as important (or more?) as the director. Could you (or someone else) could go into more details about this? Like what are the differences between project lead and director and who is higher in the positions? At this point i wonder if SE will move Nomura out of the project like Versus and let Naoki have full control.

Also, i am not surprised about the shifting to internal development. Nomura spoke openly after the PSX 2015 saying that he was not happy with CC2 results. This was from a Famitsu interview that Gematsu translated

"However, Square Enix is keeping close with CyberConnect2, as their production tastes differ from that of Square Enix. Nomura was annoyed by the direction of the the new trailer (laughs), so Square Enix brought it closer to the company’s style."

I assumed, at first, the reason it was was outsourced was because they were scared about FF15 and how it would turn out. They wanted to have something not have as much risk put on them as FF15. Then it turns out FF15 made it's money back and more.

My attitude towards this, which is probably wrong is: "Hey FF15 turned out okay and that was a development nightmare, we can do this again."

I do not think they truly realized just how reverently fans hold FF7.

Also I think this.

All those people getting hyped over a cgi trailer with no gameplay back at 2015 e3

I thought it was neat, wasn't the hypest because FF7 isn't my favorite but I know it's probably the most known. Like other games though I didn't expect too much from it immediately.

wmlk

I am so confused about this ''project lead''. I mean it sounds as important (or more?) as the director. Could you (or someone else) could go into more details about this? Like what are the differences between project lead and director and who is higher in the positions? At this point i wonder if SE will move Nomura out of the project like Versus and let Naoki have full control.

Also, i am not surprised about the shifting to internal development. Nomura spoke openly after the PSX 2015 saying that he was not happy with CC2 results. This was from a Famitsu interview that Gematsu translated

That was regarding just the trailer. Nomura came in and gave suggestions/edited it more to his liking.

ffvorax

No he's not. That's Nozue. Even if that's a knock on Nomura directing FFVIIAC, he directed that after KH and KH2.

It would be more accurate to say that Based Lord Nomura-sama is an artist, game designer, writer, game director, CG director, creative producer, and all round procrastination god.

So he is like everything and nothing, the alpha and the omega.... lol

I was so hyped for this remake, but now I just try not to think about it, ready to buy a PS5 to get the Remake (they will do a PS4 and PS5 version at this rate)

I am honestly surprised that development was being done externally. This news confirms what we all feared. On the outside it appears that Nomura isn't the best project lead, but I don't know. It certainly feels that whenever he is put charge, the project stalls for whatever reason. I give up on understanding Squeenix development strategy of the FF franchise at the moment.

I understand he directed KH and KH2 but what else since?

jett

D-Member
He makes good trailers Jett, anybody who can keep there reputation for over a decade and give a character who never did jack shit a culty fanbase with nothing but CGI trailers is obviously an important asset

I see. Hypeman just wants to eternally hype his shit, without ever actually delivering a product. The hype must flow. For all time.

It's about time he's sent to developer jail, Gooch-style, and occupy his time with his real passion: ogling at pictures of Gackt.

KarmaCow

I forgot this was meant to be episodic. Welp, I wonder if they'll continue with the idea of splitting the game into several full priced releases.

FinalAres

When it comes to Final Fantasy, Neogaf is both a great source of information, and an uninformed cesspool of drive-bys and try hard comedians.

wmlk

I guess we'll have to stop the "UE4 saved SE" meme temporarily. It takes more than DQXI coming out on time.

DieH@rd

Banned
I had hope that the game will be out in late 2018 or early 2019. Now... who knows.

Knowing Square's speed of development, the game will be ready by the time PS5 arrives.

Isn't that the one that kinda bombed in comparison to Exvius?

Acording to the latest stats, Mobius FF has sold 10 million copies.

Alex

Square needs to get over their issue of promoting people to roles outside of their element. They keep taking people who are clearly wonderful at a more simple, contained job and forcing them into a larger swath of power and it rarely works out.

The closest thing they have to a golden age Sakaguchi is probably Naoki Yoshida in terms of getting shit done and done right but it's still too soon for him to transition off of the XIV team at all.

Nanashrew

Banned

Nomura sleeping at his desk suddenly wakes up.

"I thought up some really cool ideas that would make a really cool game! But I think I'm gonna take a nap and dream on them a bit more and maybe iron out some details."

- Procrastination God Nomura

duckroll

Credits are just titles assigned to roles people do on a game. There is no real industry standardization that can be accurately applied across everything to determine seniority or whatever. In this case it's pretty straightforward, the project/development leader is the person in-charge of managing the development team and overseeing the project progress. I would say it's more of a junior producer role than a director role.

I am honestly surprised that development was being done externally. This news confirms what we all feared. On the outside it appears that Nomura isn't the best project lead, but I don't know. It certainly feels that whenever he is put charge, the project stalls for whatever reason. I give up on understanding Squeenix development strategy of the FF franchise at the moment.

I understand he directed KH and KH2 but what else since?

Every Kingdom Hearts game, they've just been portable which is why people are skeptical about him directing a HD console game.

Fredrik

300-350 people, made Final Fantasy XV, 200+ are still on the DLC
Are you serious??? That's insane. Has any other dev that many people for one game? No wonder most publishers push their games on every platform including mobiles now.

Mister Wolf

I will rephrase it then duckroll. Nomura is a director of vaporware.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Are you serious??? That's insane. Has any other dev that many people for one game? No wonder most publishers push their games on every platform including mobiles now.

Some Assassin's Creed titles are over 1000 employees. GTA V and Destiny 2 would also be in the 1000+ range. 300 is pretty average to on the lower end of a really major AAA game.

DMONKUMA

Destiny ,GTA and some other popular game brands have a lot more I imagine.

jett

D-Member
Resources.

It takes A LOT of people to make a modern AAA game, and Square Enix only has so much staff.

We're looking at a ton of them being eaten up by Business Division 2 (300-350 people, made Final Fantasy XV, 200+ are still on the DLC with others looking at other BD2 projects) and Business Division 5 (Final Fantasy XIV, presumably still has 200-300+ people on that game alone, plus all their other projects with even more staff).

If most of BD2 is still on FFXV for the foreseeable future, who's going to develop this then, internally, allegedly? It will literally be Versus XIII all over again.

Literally 95% of people in this thread are making quips about Nomura. It's like this in any thread about Final Fantasy, even those not about this game, as well as many Sony threads. It's got boring to read.

That's true, it does happen a lot. I don't usually go into these threads all that much but, I am honestly just trying to understand how Square works as a company at this point. It's fascinating.

FinalAres

If most of BD2 is still on FFXV for the foreseeable future, who's going to develop this then, internally, allegedly? It will literally be Versus XIII all over again.
I actually think resources will now be shifting from XV. We knew that 70% had stayed on, but not for how long.

duckroll

FFVIIr is a BD1 game. The recruitment notice is specifically for BD1.

wmlk

Difference is that VSXIII didn't have any resources for development, and with this change 1st Production is working on FFVII internally.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Naoki Hamaguchi is from Business Division 1, so I would guess it's being made by the Final Fantasy XIII people.

Tohsaka

Might as well just forget this project even exists for a few years since there's no way we're going to see the first part anytime soon.

Squire

Banned
Not a good look for CyberConnect2.

Square looks no better. CC2 still has a history of consistent releases that SE hasn't had in ages. If CC2 had trouble, it's not likely SE was much help. Nomura is in charge now and always was. This reflects poorly on him as well. Accountability.

Remember when Square-Enix was just Square and made super great games reliably in reasonable time frames?

Welcome to AAA games in the 8th generation.

Many other companies (not all, of course) don't work on these kind of protracted schedules, despite increased development time in general, because they have efficient project management and clear direction.

It's not easy to make a game in the 8th gen, it's not quick either, but let's be real: Square-Enix struggles with it. This is to say nothing of the quality of their games (that's another discussion) -- I'm speaking only of the efficiency of their productions.

HeelPower

Resources.

Is it safe to assume the XIII trilogy team is working on this ?

It would make sense since Kitase probably established a good working relationship with them over the years ,and they're experienced with HD developme

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I actually think resources will now be shifting from XV. We knew that 70% had stayed on, but not for how long.

They wouldn't be able to make Business Division 2's next game if Business Division 2 actually let them go.

I imagine that's part of why they're making DLC. It helps keep staff until the next project is ready to enter full production without having to lose them to the Final Fantasy VII Remake for a decade.

Top Bottom