• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the Biggest Box Office Bomb of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Effectively Knight & Day 2 is about as real as Jack Reacher 2.

But Jack Reacher 2: Never Reach Around is real?

There's an emoji movie coming out?

Yes, and just in case you were in any doubt it would bomb, it's being produced by Sony. Sony fucking Pictures.

Just a reminder that Monster Trucks cost 125 million to make and that Viacom has already basically apologized for how much that movie is going to bomb even though it hasn't come out yet.

ob_d8e257_att15839-3.jpg

Plus it's a Fuck You It's January film, which basically means the studio expects it to do terribly and they're just shoving it out.

I could only see GITS bombing if they spent a ton of money, like superhero movie levels.

Also If its US only The Great Wall is my guess, after seeing the trailers "I was like are they calling the Mongolian people lizards?"

The mythos of The Great Wall of China wont connect with american film goers or maybe with Trump in Office it could break records

Copy paste synopsis
When a mercenary warrior (Matt Damon) is imprisoned within the Great Wall, he discovers the mystery behind one of the greatest wonders of the world. As wave after wave of marauding beasts besiege the massive structure,

Does that not sound vaguely racist to someone like me who knows almost no Chinese history?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I could only see GITS bombing if they spent a ton of money, like superhero movie levels.

Also If its US only The Great Wall is my guess, after seeing the trailers "I was like are they calling the Mongolian people lizards?"

The mythos of The Great Wall of China wont connect with american film goers or maybe with Trump in Office it could break records

Copy paste synopsis
When a mercenary warrior (Matt Damon) is imprisoned within the Great Wall, he discovers the mystery behind one of the greatest wonders of the world. As wave after wave of marauding beasts besiege the massive structure,

Does that not sound vaguely racist to someone like me who knows almost no Chinese history?

Very racist.

And then you actually look at the movie and see that it is not a historical documentary, but it does in fact has gigantic beasts trying to invade China.

xOdxFWO.jpg

Mr. Robot

Very racist.

And then you actually look at the movie and see that it is not a historical documentary, but it does in fact has gigantic beasts trying to invade China.

xOdxFWO.jpg

For some reason i always enjoy alternate universe historic films, like noah and the like...

kswiston

The low hanging fruit that was Monster Trucks more or less performed as was expected.

Live by Night is also an early bomb of the year contender. No doubt there will be more spectacular bombs going forward though.

UrbanRats

And then it became a beloved cult classic. That said, they're also tagging it with "from the director of Lucy", which both bombed and was terrible.

I love Fifth Element though, so I'll go see Valerian regardless. There may be enough Fifth Element fans to prevent total bomba.
Lucy did a bunch of money last i heard.

I hope Valerian is an fun as 5th Element tho.

The low hanging fruit that was Monster Trucks more or less performed as was expected.

Live by Night is also an early bomb of the year contender. No doubt there will be more spectacular bombs going forward though.

$75 million dollar loss, according to Variety

Warner Brothers and Big Ben starting the year off right

edit: Lucy bombed!? The only reason Valarian AND Ghost in the Shell are happening this year because Lucy made close to half a billion dollars worldwide.

He is the star of the new Gore Verbinski horror-thriller, A Cure For Wellness, so we'll see how that does before we can declare his career to be over.

Oof. So long, Dane.

I say XXX will bomb. No one wanted that shit 15 years ago.

I also thought XXX would do poorly as it felt like a sequel no-one asked for and the trailers looked very bad, but according to Wikipedia it's made $345 million on an $85 million budget! I really don't like Vin's dumb action shtick, but I guess plenty of people must do.

Anyway, I came into this topic to find the person who doubled-down on Beauty and the Beast being a flop, but I'm now thinking maybe it was in a different topic.

Did anyone vote for Ghost in the Shell? Looks like that's going to lose a shit load of money for Paramount.

Smurfs seems to be doing very poorly compared to its predecessors as well, although it only cost $60 million to produce so Sony may turn a minor profit on it.

kswiston

Did anyone vote for Ghost in the Shell? Looks like that's going to lose a shit load of money for Paramount.

Smurfs seems to be doing very poorly compared to its predecessors as well, although it only cost $60 million to produce so Sony may turn a minor profit on it.

I think that Monster Trucks is still winning. After that comes Live By Night.

People saying XXX-3, lol. Makes me wonder about Gaffers and their inability to realise there's a big world outside the USofA.

same for ....

In that's it's made more than it cost to make? It bombed domestically sure, but not worldwide.

same for ....

Triggerhappytel said:

In that's it's made more than it cost to make? It bombed domestically sure, but not worldwide.

Deadline: Ghost in the Shell to lose $60+ million

According to Wikipedia it has currently made $154 million against a production budget of $110 million. At a conservative estimate you could probably add another $30 million in marketing, and it will need to make approximately twice its expenditure back at the Box Office before it starts earning profit for Paramount. Even if we say as a baseline it needs to earn $220 million at the Box Office before it gets into the black (twice its production budget), it's extremely unlikely to do that in its theatrical run.

Plus, I'm not from the "USofA", so thanks for the patronising comment and maybe double-check the figures next time before replying.

kswiston

Everyone who said King Arthur should pat themselves on the back. If it isn't the biggest bomb of the year, it will be pretty close.

Everyone who said King Arthur should pat themselves on the back. If it isn't the biggest bomb of the year, it will be pretty close.

I read the other day that it could lose $150 million for WB. $175 million development budget and apparently another $100 million in marketing, which I guess puts it in the region of $550 - $600 million at the Box Office to turn a profit?!

Looking like King Arthur will be the bomb of the year. Not surprised it looked like shit.

Yeah but The Fifth Element also bombed pretty hard.

The Fifth Elements was huge in Europe though. It did fine numbers in the state, but since it was largely a French production, it was considered a hit regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom