• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland Burrito cart closed after owners accused of cultural appropriation

Fuchsdh

Even in that passage makes them seem kinda of like assholes

Not disputing that they've got that young entrepreneur thing going on. But how much they come off as assholes has a lot more to do with what people are reading into those words than what they said themselves.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I would imagine also seeing that as the controvery grew, half of their defense force began seriously showing themselves in their spirited defense to be diet racists was a little demoralizing as well.

Oh my, thanks for sharing Bobby. So media played a role into this, I thought it might be related to the highly competitive food scene here but I wouldn't of expected they backed out from media and racism coverage.

I would imagine also seeing that as the controvery grew, half of their defense force began seriously showing themselves in their spirited defense to be diet racists was a little demoralizing as well.

I would love to see how many of them were from the Portland area. I can imagine quite a few of those voicemails coming from Oregonians outside the Portland city limits like Tigard, Tualitan, Lake Oswego, and Beaverton.

norm9

The peeping through the windows statement sounded like an attempt by the two to spice up what would have been a very boring "we learned about burritos on YouTube."

smurfx

get some go again
i kinda wish more people would steal the corn tortillas recipes from some of the restaurants in mexico i've been to. i could eat those tortillas by themselves they were so good.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Our office has been getting clogged with waaaaay out of state emails and voicemails from an amazing number of diet- and flat-out-racists not only blaming our op-ed for closing the place down (they had already closed before Jagger's op-ed was written, much less posted) but just very, very upset at... well, a lot of shit. At Portland for being Portland (I get that), at people being pissed at little things (which I also get, but that's sort of an inherently counterproductive complaint in this case, considering), but largely at the notion that two poor white women can't just make burritos in peace without mean hypersensitive minorities and their liberal enablers making life hard for them.

There's a ton of that. It usually gets signed off with "Well my culture invented X, so I guess now you can't eat it/do it."

I've seen some chicken & watermelon shit tossed Jagger's way, too.

They stopped doing it because the Willy Week article made them sound like peeping toms thieving secrets from poor old women. They got hung out to dry by the writer/editor and when the backlash came quick, they said fuck it.

Jesus.

Is there a term for whatever the opposite of "virtue signalling" is? Asshole signalling? Cuz people sure love to do that whenever anyone wants to talk about cultural appropriation.

If you ever come to Portland, you owe it yourself check out the food carts. I miss going to school downtown where there were a ton of them.

I need that spicy beef chow mein.

Is this the woman?

Screen-Shot-2017-02-25-at-10.37.20-PM.png

Not disputing that they've got that young entrepreneur thing going on. But how much they come off as assholes has a lot more to do with what people are reading into those words than what they said themselves.

This is where lost context (that a lot of people don't have, and really aren't in a position to have) comes into play. I don't blame people outside the city for not having the context - why would they? Why SHOULD they?

But the paper that ran the profile in the first place has an arts/culture section head who is an amazing troll. And his notion of what this city is, is such a weird, twisted, skewed, antagonistic thing, that his tone permeates almost everything he touches, and it's been cause for a lot of ill-will between the paper and its readers (and, obviously, the other papers in town, specifically the one I work for).

So readers weren't inclined to give that paper any leeway, and that paper was obviously not inclined to write the profile in a way that didn't lean into its editor's ethos. Instead of softening the profile a little, or omitting the weird "we peeped into their windows for the realest tortillas you could eat," they leaned into that shit, and framed it in a way that I would imagine absolutely made these two women sound way more opportunistic than they might have actually been.

So the reaction wasn't just to them, it was to a paper who has been faceplanting on these sorts of issues for years now.

I don't know where fried chicken came from (other than being delicious), but the black people and watermelon thing is a reference to slavery. Plantations fed field slaves watermelon on hot days because they are good for hydration, and are cheap to grow. Afterwards, racists used it as a stereotype, even though everyone loves watermelon.

Fried chicken and fried foods in general are a staple of Southern cuisine, passed down to the region by the Scots, who gave the world the delicacy we now know as the fried Mars bar.

kswiston

Fried chicken and fried foods in general are a staple of Southern cuisine, passed down to the region by the Scots, who gave the world the delicacy we now know as the fried Mars bar.

I guess I just don't know why fried chicken became a racial stereotype. I have been in the Southern states, and everyone eats fried food pretty much all of the time. It would be like making ice cream a racial stereotype.

It really should be illegal for anyone to prepare or eat any food that is not part of their ethnic heritage. People should also have to offer DNA based ID cards at grocery stores to ensure they are not purchasing fruits, veggies, meats, grains or herbs/spices from outside of their ethnicity.

Pizza

Damn that sounds like they were trying to be cute tbh

Like they were trying to sound like their shit was TRADE SECRETS that they've gone out of their way to learn authentically and less "lol we're stealing shit"

Like if you're not Italian I'd beat not ever see you learning how to make pizza

Edit: unless you make a pizza-ish equivalent from any of the other parts of the world that have not-pizzas. But only if you're from that place.

It really should be illegal for anyone to prepare or eat any food that is not part of their ethnic heritage. People should also have to offer DNA based ID cards at grocery stores to ensure they are not purchasing fruits, veggies, meats, grains or herbs/spices from outside of their ethnicity.

^^^ yeah, it's a lot of that shit coming into our office.

Some meaner. Some a little more clever. But mostly it's that, preceded with some indignant set-up about Jagger's failings as a writer/person.

But a lot of people are essentially mashing that button like its wakeup dp.

The Argus

This is so weird. Reminds me of the stories last year of college kids shutting down their dorm cafeterias because the Thai food was not authentic and therefore appropriation. We're moving in the wrong direction, folks.

kswiston

What if your ethnicity isn't Monsanto?

Damn that sounds like they were trying to be cute tbh

Like they were trying to sound like their shit was TRADE SECRETS that they've gone out of their way to learn authentically and less "lol we're stealing shit"

Yeah, this is where that context I was talking about upthread would come into play. The paper in question has been caught out there basically promoting a tone where "lol, we're stealing shit" would be presented straight-faced as a positive. So readers in the city weren't as quick to offer that benefit of the doubt.

Was wondering when this was gonna get here.

There was a passage in the original article (and the alt-weekly that ran it has gotten in a lot of recent trouble with the food & service industries for awhile now for their content) that featured the two women in question describing themselves as more or less shaking down the women in the small town they were visiting, and when they were denied more detailed recipes, they described peeking through the windows of these women as they made their tortillas to watch and take notes on what they were doing and how they were doing it.

That was the passage that had people essentially responding along the lines of "what the fuck you were peeping in these old women's fucking windows and you're bragging on it as a means to make your pop-up foodcart sound more authentic?"

From there the comments & facebooks started filling up with (mostly) peeved and miffed white men & women upset that people of color in the city thought that sort of behavior was suspect. (A senior editor at that alt-weekly was, at one point, all on his facebook page misunderstanding the term "drag" and trying to suggest that people were using it as a death threat by way of referencing Matthew Shepard)

Once the phrase "cultural appropriation" was broached and then dropped into the mix, it was more or less open season. The "fight" went from 0-to-"Yeah well my people invented the printing press so your being able to communicate in text is cultural appropriation" in a fuckin' hurry.

In the midst of all this, the women, who basically got hung out to dry by the writer/editor of the alt-weekly, decided this attention wasn't worth their fledgling pop-up (it wasn't even their own foodcart, they were just guesting at someone elses for a little while) and closed up shop.

After they had closed, A Fox News affiliate discovered an op-ed for the paper I work at, written by a black woman who went in hard on our very white city's weird attitudes about race, especially as it pertains to Portland's very well known food scene, and once Fox found it, the Blaze found it, and once the Blaze found it, shit was off to the fuckin' races.

The best piece I've seen on this whole thing since was actually a roundtable discussion at Uproxx.

It's very long, but also very well thought out.

Thanks Bobby, that's a damn good break down / overview of what happened and puts the whole situation in a lot of context. Thanks for the effort of relaying all of that

Caelus

This is so weird. Reminds me of the stories last year of college kids shutting down their dorm cafeterias because the Thai food was not authentic and therefore appropriation. We're moving in the wrong direction, folks.

Are we?

I don't think the classic "liberal issues" like excessive PC-ness or cultural appropriation drama are as widespread as people claim.

Issues of dialogue and cultural appropriation are real, but they seem to be framed by these news stories that makes people ignore the wider context.

Cultural appropriation specifically is when the culture that is borrowed from is disrespected while the borrowers reap the benefits. I'm not sure if that's the case here, but it's an interesting discussion to be had in regards to cuisine.

Automatic shutting down of an establishment if the owners don't match the food's cultural origins is silly, of course. e.g. White people running an Indian restaurant isn't an inherent issue, it's more to do with their behavior and interactions regarding Indian culture, and so on.

Darryl

Banned
people were so outraged over this that a group i was in on facebook froze posting and banned half the posters who were pro-burrito cart, just in case anyone thinks the outrage was fabricated and this is a non-story

my mind is blown by how much of a parody people have begun to resemble. how does this story gain traction in 2017, yet alone in portland. i can't even count how many tattoo shops, yoga studios, or coffee shops have used the "we traveled to ____ foreign country ourselves to learn the ancient technique!!" hook. restaurants, too! you name it! it's same trick every other child of an upper-middle class family pulled on their parents to get a paid vacation and a sizeable investment into their easy, low-commitment job. "the australian coffee market is booming, father. i must go learn their techniques by hand and bring it to No Where, Wisconsin. also i need to go spend 6 weeks backpacking vietnam to the source beans. may as well go to cambodia, too, for spiritual reasons"

Kart94

Banned
cultural appropriation is one of the stupidest terms ever made. Hope that term or anything that gives it crediblity dies.

anyway if this is true, then yeah still dumb.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I don't see how making burritos is cultural appropriation. What the fuck. Gordon Ramsay can't serve Italian food now? You better be Japanese to sell sushis? This is fucking dumb.

Infinite

I don't see how making burritos is cultural appropriation. What the fuck. Gordon Ramsay can't serve Italian food now? You better be Japanese to sell sushis? This is fucking dumb.
Read bobby Roberts posts in this thread. The article in op is essentially click bait

Madness

Damn what a story. To be honest, no one forced them to close. Making it seem insidious. They should have ignored the criticism and kept on. But it is Portland. I knew someone who was from Portland who said his name which was inspired from the word for Peace in Sanskrit/Hindi had it changed because it felt like an act of colonization. Once their yelp started getting trashed, they wouldn't have survived there. Some people actually writing on the Yelp review that they should take all sales profits and go back and apologize to the old ladies and give the money to them. What world are these people in.

Read bobby Roberts posts in this thread. The article in op is essentially click bait

I picked the article, because it was the first one I saw that seemed pretty even keel compared to those on one side (Portland mercury/Mic) and those on the other (Fox/Blaze). Bobby mentioned the uproxx article I can link that

Eh unless I'm reading Bobby wrong as I understand it, there was a huge controversy around the situation. But basically the original thing that started it all WAS clickbaity and kinda screwed the whole situation up / blew it all up.

Portland. A city where you wouldn't be caught dead with even a light tan for fear of being mistaken for being non-white...

White people telling other white people what can and cannot be appropriated...

I feel like I shouldn't be surprised, but I still kind of am.

I picked the article, because it was the first one I saw that seemed pretty even keel compared to those on one side (Portland mercury/Mic) and those on the other (Fox/Blaze). Bobby mentioned the uproxx article I can link that

The Uproxx article is a much better sum-up/investigation of what the fuck is really going on, absolutely. Four really good writers putting some serious thought into not just the pop-up itself, but the culture, and the media response, and why people are reacting the way they are to that media response.

More than anything, this is a big fucking brouhaha because the utility it provides as a chance to easily mock something absurd/ridiculous/privileged is too juicy. It's a laffy-taffy setup and people cannot wait to slap down their best punchlines about italian food, greek food, chinese food, etc. (cyanide, apparently)

White people telling other white people what can and cannot be appropriated...

The initial response to this article wasn't "white people telling other white people what can and cannot be appropriated." It was minority women, mostly.

The preponderance of white responses, so far as I've seen, have been along the lines of "yeah well, a chinese guy made my pizza so I guess I'm racist now lol you guys are ridiculous"

MisterNoisy

Once again, Portland gonna Portland.

Honestly, a little cyanide in the water of that city would go a long way towards making the PNW a better place.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
The best local carry out Italian place near me is run by one Caucasian woman, one Korean woman and one Chinese woman. And mostly Korean staff. It used to be an Italian family but they got bought out.

I'm saying you can run whatever you want, just keep your p.r. in check.

But it is 2017, so these are all guesses.

From the Uproxx piece:

I'm trying to pull back the curtain on the media coverage of these stories for a reason: There are multiple levels of journalistic responsibility in regards to the food appropriation conversation: 1) Food writers need to stop anointing white chefs as the ambassadors of foods that developed in places where the residents have been victims of American bigotry. It's happened with everyone from Rick Bayless (Mexican food) to Andy Ricker (Thai food). That's not to say that the two chefs deserve no coverage, it's just to say: ”Damn, food media, stop creating white savior stories." 2) Food writers need to tell the stories of mom and pop shops, hidden gems, bodegas and... people like Sean Sherman. If you've followed Sherman's story on Uproxx, you'll note that we covered it from a variety of angles. Why? Because these stories are told far too rarely and they're important. 3) When controversies pop up we need to talk about these things. Splashy headlines and Twitter shout downs only go so far. What the world needs is brave, clear-eyed conversation about the massive systems of food growth, production, and consumption in America. I don't think we're getting that from food media, instead, we get outrage.

This is really, really good.

Top Bottom