• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts 360/PS3/WiiU/PC box art appears, 11/5/2013, rumored details

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts. Activision toyed with Call of Duty: Phantoms, but settled on Ghosts.
  • Steering away from "Modern Warfare" to start its own thing, though is still kinda Modern Warfare 4.
  • Set in the future, kind of like Black Ops, but with current generation weaponry. Some plot event forces people of that time period to use our generation weapons.
  • Dynamic loading screens, as in the traditional loading countdown is replaced with some kind of animated sequence (rappel in from chopper, sneak in, etc).
  • Movement changes. Dash->slide+shooting. Corner peeking. Prone left/right roll.
  • Spec Ops gone, replaced with new mode.
  • Team aiming for more destructive environments. Working in single player, but team is having some issues with implementing it in multiplayer.
  • Launching only on next generation consoles: NextBox, PlayStation 4, and PC.
  • Reveal sometime around the start of May.

• Call of Duty: Ghosts. Activision toyed with Call of Duty: Phantoms, but settled on Ghosts.
  • Steering away from "Modern Warfare" to start its own thing, though is still kinda Modern Warfare 4.
  • Set in the future, kind of like Black Ops, but with current generation weaponry. Some plot event forces people of that time period to use our generation weapons.
  • Dynamic loading screens, as in the traditional loading countdown is replaced with some kind of animated sequence (rappel in from chopper, sneak in, etc).
  • Movement changes. Dash->slide+shooting. Corner peeking. Prone left/right roll.
  • Team aiming for more destructive environments. Working in single player, but team is having some issues with implementing it in multiplayer.

I can't for the life of me figure out why an "insider" would want to spill the beans about internal development troubles to a fan. All of these waffle-y details (almost Phantoms, but they picked Ghosts! They want destruction, but it's hard!) all sound like a classic case of providing too many details to make the whole thing seem more legit.

I don't know, though. The premise at least sounds intriguing.

demolitio

Maybe this will be my full return to COD if they actually make it different enough and actually looks different from the current engine. I reached fatigue a while ago but still bought the games just to play with my friends, but I do have some interest in the next gen games as long as they evolve it a bit.

Maybe the event that makes you use current weapons is the proposed tag system where weapons are locked to certain people and a typical rogue enemy gets a hold of the system and locks all weapons to him leaving the current technology at the time worthless forcing them to go back to the "tagless days".

There's a lot of proposed systems for weaponry that could cause problems in the future and would fit a COD game so who knows.

BLAZER

Nice, i was just in the process of doing this myself.

This is very believable indeed.

I can't for the life of me figure out why an "insider" would want to spill the beans about internal development troubles to a fan.

In the video it sounds like their relationship may extend past fan talking to an "insider".

How likely is it we see two CoDs this year? I can't imagine Activison passing up on the millions of current gen sales they could get unless they think they've got a system seller on their hands, which I very much doubt.

In the video it sounds like their relationship may extend past fan talking to an "insider".

How likely is it we see two CoDs this year? I can't imagine Activison passing up on the millions of current gen sales they could get unless they think they've got a system seller on their hands, which I every much doubt.

There was two COD's last year (HAHAhAHAH)

How likely is it we see two CoDs this year? I can't imagine Activison passing up on the millions of current gen sales they could get unless they think they've got a system seller on their hands, which I every much doubt.

It seems very unlikely. I'm not even sure how they'd market it since they'd probably release around one another. Next-gen only would be a disaster for them since we know BF4 is cross-gen. I don't see Activision giving EA that type of advantage.

El_Chino

It seems very unlikely. I'm not even sure how they'd market it since they'd probably release around one another. Next-gen only would be a disaster for them since we know BF4 is cross-gen. I don't see Activision giving EA that type of advantage.

Which is why I call bull!

Valnen

Destructible environments would get me to play Call of Duty again.

If it's next gen only, I expect a new engine too.

BLAZER

He says he trusts the insider "quite literally with his life" and is a part of the Call of duty machine.

Maybe the insider is a current or ex soldier that is helping out with the neversoft team by providing real life feedback with what really goes on and how things are done. Therefore he knows a shit tone about the game. That's my best bet.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
    [*]Spec Ops gone, replaced with new mode.

Spook Ops.

TripleSun

Seemed pretty descriptive and that guy who posted that poster made me think higher of the rumor. The subtitle sounds like the guy's proposed storyline.

He mentioned that the next-gen part came from a different source and not the person that gave him all the rest of the info about the game.

Oh okay that makes this seem more credible then. I didn't actually watch the whole video. My bad.

True but why would Activison give up an install base that's made them billions of dollars?

If it is true they might feel that the franchise is that strong that it can really spur console sales and I have no doubt that both Microsoft and Sony are willing to incentivize them to do so.

I mean I like what I'm reading and still find enjoyment in the current multiplayer from time to time.

IISANDERII

Why is everybody assuming that just because COD Ghosts exists that another COD won't be coming for PS360?
That would answer why they threw extra dev teams into this.

Box art leaked:

BOGwAf5.png

I'D TRUST MY LIFE TO MY ~INDUSTRY SOURCES~

Why is everybody assuming that just because COD Ghosts exists that another COD won't be coming for PS360?
That would answer why they threw extra dev teams into this.

Because it's hard to believe that Activision would launch two separate CoD games and then market them at full force. And if DICE can pull off cross-gen with BF4, then what would be stopping this CoD game? It's not like Activision is lacking when it comes to resources.

Tagg9

The "next-gen only" part is complete and utter bullshit, but he makes it clear that this information came from a different source.

I would trust that his main source is legit, as the rest of the information sounds spot on. He doesn't seem like the type of guy to outright lie about something like this with such a large following on YouTube.

Elsolar

So adding sliding, rolling, and paradrop spawning is a "new direction" for the series? Seems like more of the same TBH.

Also, while I find it totally believable that the game will only be on next-gen consoles, I find it kind of silly that he reports the team "struggling" to implement destructible environments when this is something that Battlefield has been doing for years on current-gen consoles.

Overall, seems like minor details in the grand scheme of things. If this is the big leak of per-announcement information then it looks like we're in for basically another MW2 derivative.

FroJay

Banned
The fact that the next-gen only part didn't come from his main trusted source makes me think that it's inaccurate. There's simply no way I can see Activision dropping the PS3 and 360. Even in a best case scenario they wouldn't get Ghosts sales up to half of what they'd pull in on those platforms. And Activision isn't in this business to help Sony and MS grow their userbases. Which is all going exclusive to next-gen consoles would accomplish.

Moneyhats might be big on this one to get Activision to go next gen only with the release.

Tagg9

That would definitely be a smart move for Sony/MS to push their next systems. Especially if there are day 1 bundles for the game.

Except it would never, ever happen. It's the equivalent of going Sony or Microsoft exclusive (actually, it would be much much worse considering the minuscule initial install base).

Takao

Banned

360/PC:

Call_of_Duty_2_Box.jpg

PS2/GC/Xbox:

256px-Cod2bre.jpg

PS3/360/PC/Wii:

256px-Call_of_Duty_World_at_War_cover.png

PS2:

Final_Fronts_cover.png

They'll just dump the lesser versions, and only market the PS4/720/PC ones. People will go into stores asking for the new Call of Duty, and they'll get the current gen release.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Next gen only is the only thing keeping me from believing this.

Well, that and the fact it's some random guy on Youtube.

Makoto

Box art leaked:

http://i.imgur.com/BOGwAf5.png[IMG]

I'D TRUST MY LIFE TO MY ~INDUSTRY SOURCES~[/QUOTE]
So the next CoD's ploy is goats while the next Battlefield is dinosaurs. The choice is obvious fellas and let me give you a hint, dinosaurs don't make goat cheese.

360/PC:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/Call_of_Duty_2_Box.jpg[img]

PS2/GC/Xbox:

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c9/Cod2bre.jpg/256px-Cod2bre.jpg[img]

PS3/360/PC/Wii:

[img]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Call_of_Duty_World_at_War_cover.png[img]

PS2:

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/aa/Final_Fronts_cover.png[img]

They'll just dump the lesser versions, and only market the PS4/720/Wii U/PC ones. People will go into stores asking for the new Call of Duty, and they'll get the current gen release.[/QUOTE]

If CoD was still a well regarded, but not mega-seller franchise you'd be right. Things are very different now. The mainstream are savvy when it comes to CoD they will know the difference between the two games much the same way a lot of them know the difference between Infinity Ward and Treyarch.

360/PC:

[ig]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/Call_of_Duty_2_Box.jpg[/img]

PS2/GC/Xbox:

[mg]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c9/Cod2bre.jpg/256px-Cod2bre.jpg[/img]

PS3/360/PC/Wii:

[ig]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/19/Call_of_Duty_World_at_War_cover.png/256px-Call_of_Duty_World_at_War_cover.png[/img]

PS2:

[ig]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/aa/Final_Fronts_cover.png[/img]

They'll just dump the lesser versions, and only market the PS4/720/Wii U/PC ones. People will go into stores asking for the new Call of Duty, and they'll get the current gen release.

That was back when the CoD name didn't mean much. Back when it wasn't making 1b in 15 days. They're going to be playing with fire if they attempt to do something like that. Especially since BF4 will exist and it's going to be marketed under one giant umbrella instead of casting off the PS3 and 360 versions (the two that will sell the most) like they don't matter.

Gav47

This is a pretty weird video for Drift0r to put out, he usually sticks to testing guns and game mechanics.

activision sitting on these 20millions sales by not making the game on current gen but only next gen that will probably sell less than 2 millions units by the end of the fiscal year ?

There is no way. No simple way. Sony and MS couldn't pay enough for having a next gen only CoD to make the player move en-masse, that missing opportunity cost is just way to big

J-Rzez

Even MS wouldn't front the bill to stop them from releasing the title on old gen machines to help push their new machines out there. First off, there are 20-some-odd million CoD gamers out there, and there's only going to be a few million consoles available to play the game on lol.

If they go that spin off route then that's sucky for those who can't get their hands on a new machine.

If this is true though, that thread about BF4 winning might actually happen.

Top Bottom