• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

pitt_norton

So where did I go wrong?

I reset my snes mini back to OG with a factory reset for a clean install of Hakchi v2.21e (internal version 2.0.21.60) I also copied my folders over from v2.20 (internal version 2.0.20.15)

I custom flash kernel, then sychronize all goes well.. I recieve no MD5 checksum warning thingy .. so it all goes smoothly.

Yet on booting up the snes mini to play, all my original games have no boxarts display and give a C8 error.

Which version of Hakchi is the most stable to use? abcd... or e (which is giving me this problem.

ParityBit

So I was going to try and change my background on the main screen. How would I do it? Also would synching with hakchi overwrite it or will it be persistent?

Quoting for the new page. I see that you need to put a file in /etc/preinit.d/ with overmount commands, but is there some tutorial out there? I couldn't really find one easily. I also want to make sure Hakchi wouldn't blow away my changes.

Cloud7

I have a couple questions/requests:

1. Can anyone point to me where I can find US SNES Box Art custom covers for the Dragon ball Z games?

2. Can someone create a US SNES Box Art custom cover for the SD Battle Dodgeball game?

Is there any way to play an SNES mini on a CRT with a proper screen ratio? I saw a few people doing this.. but it looked like it squished the screen. Dunno if this hacking stuff could somehow resolve this?

Psxphile

So it's okay to exceed 63 if you're using pages, or is it still recommended not to go past that number no matter what?
DO NOT TOP OFF TANK

y'all tip-toeing on the precipice and asking if its okay to lean over to get a better view
yeah there's a bungie cord strapped to your back but why ya gotta tempt fate?

this PSA brought to you by the Can't Be Arsed Foundation™ and by readers like you

pitt_norton

Tried to restore Ubisoft's most excellent Street Racer title... I adjusted a cleaner version of the art from the PAL box and used their logo accurate to the era, replacing the ugly USA logo version (though we suffer through it anyway on the game boot up screen haha)

Sidenote: How the fuck did they pull this game off without some DSP chip that Super Mario Kart had to use... and it's for 4 players!

YbBG6Y2.png

snes mini version

WsngFf8.png

OmegaDL50

Dragon Quest 3 English translation fixed?

I think the inserted intro of the translation team credits are reason why the game does not load normally in Canoe.

If there was a way to remove the intro from the rom and just go straight to the game itself, it might get around the issue. I don't mind the translation team getting credit for their work but seeing as the patch makes it so it does not work, maybe someone will fix it eventually.

D.Lo

Tried to restore Ubisoft's most excellent Street Racer title... I adjusted a cleaner version of the art from the PAL box and used their logo accurate to the era, replacing the ugly USA logo version (though we suffer through it anyway on the game boot up screen haha)

Sidenote: How the fuck did they pull this game off without some DSP chip that Super Mario Kart had to use... and it's for 4 players!

biBTYZ6.png

snes mini version

WsngFf8.png
I believe Mario Kart uses the chip for all the on-track items (eg pipes), which it lacks. F-Zero has no chips either.

pitt_norton

I believe Mario Kart uses the chip for all the on-track items (eg pipes), which it lacks. F-Zero has no chips either.

Makes sense and I guess the DSP chip was used for the review mirror and the lower course map showing everyone's race position!

Can someone create a US SNES Box Art custom cover for the SD Battle Dodgeball game?

Wow the source material for this game is weak and low res, so here is the best I could do (it will look good on the snes mini though ;)

Mw9SMtA.png

I forgot to post this much earlier but here is also my Breath of Fire USA boxart revision. I cannot deal with the original US cover having an ugly black box cut and pasted into the top left corner to house the logo haha

Q16D2Ej.png

Is there a way to make added games not break the Classic Demo? Whenever it picks up and tries to launch one of the non-stock games, the frame zooms on screen but nothing happens, the game doesn’t start and it just returns to the menu.

One thing preventing my from digging into this yet (aside from finding the time), is how the thumbnails work at the bottom of the screen.

So, I see some of you are substituting them for smaller ones...

By default, what do they look like? If you add games, but not thumbnail data, what happens when you scroll through the games?

If you add more games than can fit in the thumbnail area at the bottom, what happens when scrolling?

Thanks

ReyVGM

Is this completely true though? The kernel is based on linux, so falls under the Linux GPL which would make it completely legal to distribute (and alter). I'm not sure Nintendo actually have a legal stand there, unless I'm missing something?

It's not Nintendo you have to worry about, it's about the powers that be in this forum.

ReyVGM

Quick question:
When you add NES games, do they load automatically with Retroarch or do you have to put the --retroacarch command?

Aeana

The code changes needed to the snes9x retroarch cores to get the Tengai Makyou Zero translation (releasing tomorrow morning!) running have been released. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the cores to build correctly. If anybody knows someone who is able to build the cores for the SNES Mini compatible target (I believe it's armhf), the relevant info about which changes need to be made to the code is available here: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23162.msg345574#msg345574

Phaenos

I decided that I really liked the way the switch-style icons look on the system and I've been benefitting greatly from the large libraries people have posted here. So thank you all so much for that.

I have Urban Strike and Wizardry V on my system that I wasn't able to find nice icons for, so I decided to make them myself. I'm not great at this sort of thing, but I am pretty happy with the way that they turned out so I wanted to share them as well.

If anyone maintaining these huge libraries wants to add these, please feel free.

kySK6mS.png

3OO0RzV.png

Robin64

I've now added the option to turn the border on and off, and set the colour of it if you want it.

I also made it so you don't need a 1280 x 720 image anymore, it will get resized accordingly. You'll get better results using that ratio, of course, and the best results supplying an already 1280 x 720 image.

YunRTmr.png

Click Me!

ReyVGM

Any way for Retroarch to save audio settings on a per-game basis?

Some SNES games playable on Retroarch have the volume set too high, if you lower it, it also lowers the volume on other RA games. I looked but I couldn't find an option to save settings on specific games.

I assume the "--volume 100" on the command line doesn't work for Retroarch?

lucius

Some those menu options in Retroarch don’t save right, the shaders and audio options seem buggy, I had to revert back to original kernel 2 times. I was looking for an option to turn down music in some games or cores but couldn’t find it. I still need to tweek some boxarts also.

The code changes needed to the snes9x retroarch cores to get the Tengai Makyou Zero translation (releasing tomorrow morning!) running have been released. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the cores to build correctly. If anybody knows someone who is able to build the cores for the SNES Mini compatible target (I believe it's armhf), the relevant info about which changes need to be made to the code is available here: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23162.msg345574#msg345574

Is there any way to play original pc doom (with sound) on this thing?
Use these RetroArch cores: https://github.com/KMFDManic/NESC-SNESC-Modifications
They're due to be made official with Hakchi 2.5

pitt_norton

Well... how does one design custom box art for a leaked unreleased/cancelled game such as Game Freak's Jelly Boy 2?

I was lucky to have found out that Ken Sugimori tweeted in 2015, a few flash photographs of magazines containing his Jelly Boy 2 artwork. Not the best source of quality... but hey what other choice do I have?! Also had to extract a decent sized logo from the game's title screen.

The fun I'm having with doing these custom snes boxarts is trying to replicate the authenticity of how the game could have been packaged at actual release... this would have been on shelves in September 1994.

So I've posted SFC and SNES versions of the custom boxart I've made. Use if desired... it's a great little game. Shame it was never officially released (Sony was to publish it... but a little disagreement with Nintendo about a CD ROM machine seemed to put an end to it seeing the light of day), though now we can pretend it had ;)

LxJtGm4.png

LEmucTi.png

Is it possible to play CD games like Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night or Final Fight CD using MP3s instead of CD audio-tracks?
This way these games should be "only" 60-100MB and thus fit on the SNESC.

windfish

first of all great work Robin, the OP really helped me and took my fear of messing with the machine.
The Pal>NTSC Patch worked perfectly for the one game I tested so far. Thank you so much for your work!

Unfortunatly I still messed things up (I think).

Tried to get into the FTP part and download the original games since I wanted to replace a few of them with my Pal versions.
For some reason something didn't seem to work out and the process crashed resulting with a promt to update Hakchi2.
I did and as a result the one game I put onto the snes mini no longer showed up in Hakchi.

Tried to uninstall everything and flash again, showing a message that the MD5 checksum doesn't match.
The Snes Mini still works and I can start the games with no problem, still irritated because the original games are listed in Hakchi2 but only take 0,5MB / 233,9MB of the space.

When I go into the Ftp and check for the original games folder there are only desktop files inside. I guess the "real" files must be somewhere? No clue what to do next (original kernel saved).

Would gladly take any advice :D''

So, it's not quite ready for prime-time yet, but there's a mod being worked on that will allow you to replace the boxart of the original games (without wasting space reuploading the games themselves).

In anticipation of that I've done a quick custom box art for Super Punch-Out!! (which never had a proper Japanese retail release, only flash cart)

pKbCKMf.png

Art source

mattneil8

Neo Member
Has anyone been able to find (or could make) US style box art for the following games:

Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium
Magical Quest 3 Starring Mickey & Donald
Super Puyo Puyo 2
The Amazing Spider-Man: Lethal Foes

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is there a way to make added games not break the Classic Demo? Whenever it picks up and tries to launch one of the non-stock games, the frame zooms on screen but nothing happens, the game doesn’t start and it just returns to the menu.
Do your added games' folders have a file called autoplay in them? I've had a problem when I tried to copy said file with the original games and it resulted in the same error as you're describing.

Unfortunately, I haven't worked out why ftp refuses to copy those files over properly (for now I've just disabled classic demos).

jholmes

I asked this, never got an answer either. EDIT: Ahh, there's one above me!

Have you tried making save states? I believe it pulls from those too.

Robin64

If you notice Pilotwings having audio issues (such as the plane engine not coming on after resuming from pause), this is because hakchi uses the Mario Kart preset ID when loading it. What you want to do is press Ctrl + Alt + E on Pilotwings in hakchi and change the preset ID to BA10. Voila, no more audio issues. (It was bugging me, had to solve it)

does it work on a computer emulator like snes9x or higan?

Hmm...actually I don't know. I never tested it on a computer. I'll try that and see what happens.

Okay I tried it and I get a glimpse of yellow text saying "bad checksum" and it goes to the black screen. It's an SMC file if that does anything.
This seems really common, but mine worked, so I don't know what to say other than try again.

I just checked and I got a "bad checksum". Can I fix that?

atrocious loading, although probably the best if u ignored that

So emulated it probably would be lol. I must say I haven't played it since I rented it back in the day, so I have no idea whether the loading times would be alleviated when you don't have to load.

Maybe I'll pick up a copy on ebay, looks cheap.

So emulated it probably would be lol. I must say I haven't played it since I rented it back in the day, so I have no idea whether the loading times would be alleviated when you don't have to load.

Maybe I'll pick up a copy on ebay, looks cheap.

saturn emulation can be pretty awful though, so who knows. loved it when i got my saturn though.

Okay I tried it again and it works on a PC emulator now! I'll try it on the Classic soon.

I tried installing Retroarch before and it said that I needed to install the driver, which I'm sure I did the first time I connected the SNES Classic, and after I hit okay there has been no progress that I can see. It just says 'installing'.

Top Bottom