• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu's original cross-review of Final Fantasy IV found. Translation help

Translation by me.
5: An action-scidescroller like we had them often in the past. But isn't it a little too hard? You can start with any of the 6 stages, but I couldn't reach any of the bosses no matter where I started. Uhm, I guess it's a balancing-problem.

7: It feels a bit malicious, but somehow this action-game gets me fired up. Once there were so many of these games, but in recent times they've been rather scarce. Even the characters, even though they are original, are quite good (excuse my rudeness). Well, it's quite welcome.

7: A really totally very hard game. You have to take a really close look at the movements of the enemies while calculating your next 2-3 steps, otherwise you will fail. If you miss the timing just a little bit it's already over. You have to use your skills of course, but also your head quite a bit. Although I love the animation when Rockman gets hit.

5: A rather rare type of game these days. You can start this game from any stage, but there are some stages that if you don't clear them in a specific order you won't be able to advance. I won't hint any further than this. The characters are cute, but typical of Capcom it's super-hard.

That's unfortunate... The original Mega Man, while a bit janky compared to the later games, is actually really good still. Almost all the weapon powers are very useful as well, unlike later games that tend to have only one or two overall useful powers. The game was hard when I played it as a kid, but once I figured out the Rock/Paper/Scissors system, it was a lot easier.

One of the reviewers didn't beat any levels and then gave it a low score. The truth is that the game does get significantly better after you beat a couple levels and get more powers. That said, Gutsman and Cutman both have easy levels and easy bosses with the default weapon (which are also the first two levels on the list), so it's unfortunate they didn't finish even those.

The last reviewer is right, though... If you don't finish Gutsman before Elecman, then you can't defeat Wily stage 1 without using a code to re-enter Elecman's stage.

Long story short, the game deserves an 8, or at least a 7, while later NES Mega Man games are easily 9s-10s IMO. It's really fun looking at old reviews in hindsight, though.

Square2015

So the translations posted so far have been put in the original OP.

If someone could translate the original FF1 reviews that would be super gnarly...

dadjumper

So the translations posted so far have been put in the original OP.

If someone could translate the original FF1 reviews that would be super gnarly...

Got any higher res scans? These are okay but would be easier with bigger images.

Also, where are you finding these, by the way? I'd like to trawl through old SNES era famitsuus

Square2015

Got any higher res scans? These are okay but would be easier with bigger images.

Also, where are you finding these, by the way? I'd like to trawl through old SNES era famitsuus

I do not, I found that FF1 scan online.

I either buy these famitsu issues from Buyee.com or a friend in Japan, Cheesemeister, picks up issues he comes across and I pay him to send high-res scans to me.

I could share some scans with you. I'm collecting all the charts from the SFC era.
Check this thread for the TOP30 chart scans that I've collect so far > http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1298109

Addendum
Also found this:

CJCVZhV.jpg

Final Fantasy 1 (plus Mega Man 1, Tokimeki Highschool, and Metal Gear)

Holy shit, Hironobu Sakaguchi-sama's masterpiece... Nakayama Miho no Tokimeki High School 😎

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I can kinda see where the 8 guy is coming from. The original SNES version IS kinda hard on the eyes. I got a headache playing it when I was a kid. Never played it through until the PSX version that redid the graphics.

dadjumper

I do not, I found that FF1 scan online.

I either buy these famitsu issues from Buyee.com or a friend in Japan, Cheesemeister, picks up issues he comes across and I pay him to send high-res scans to me.

I could share some scans with you. I'm collecting all the charts from the SFC era.
Check this thread for the TOP30 chart scans that I've collect so far > http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1298109

Neat! Where's Cheesemeister finding them, do you know? Would be cool to pick up a couple myself

BTA

I’ve never played FF4 (or any numbered game earlier than 13, admittedly), but I’m wondering about the 3rd reviewer? What was the waving/swinging thing they mentioned? One of the translations says something very different than the others.

Garou

Since nobody else did, Final Fantasy 1:

8: An RPG that fits the expression "laborious work" perfectly. The display on screen, the unfolding story, etc., while being aware of Dragon Quest, lets you see the wish to surpass Dragon Quest. If you want to judge the spots where it's too hardcore as faults, they are faults, but as long as you have a positive attitude towards having fun with the game you won't mind. It's a bull's-eye.

9: One might think that the people at Square were the ones who were happiest about the delay of the release of Dragon Quest III. You can say that "Final Fantasy" is a well made RPG. From a story-perspective as well as from a game-design perspective is is all above the current standard. The controls are nice as well.

9: This might be a general rule for RPGs, but this game's way how to do magical equipment is difficult, so when you get around to understand how it works, as well as when you start to get into the story, it becomes really enjoyable. The characters by Yoshitaka Amano are very refined, a very well made RPG.

8: During battle, one of your characters in your party will step forward one-by-one and attack. That kind of control is from a remote past. You might start recalling a time when you were cheering "♬ We want that kid. We don't understand which kid you mean ♬" while playing (You might say "As if I know what you are on about?!?" here). A good game isn't just stimulating your frontal lobe, it's making your cerebral cortex work.

I kid you not, that fourth reviewer acutally writes that. If you don't believe me look up 前頭葉 and 大脳皮質.

120v

i'm kind of surprised they were conscious of the series' shift to linearity at the time. would've figured they'd be too enamored with the graphics, sfx, story ect to notice

The last one would be more comprehensible in English if you just say the way they step forward one at a time and attack reminds me of playing Hana Ichi Monme as a kid

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
The PSX version is literally exactly the same.

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of the GBA version.

I did play the PSX version through though and don't remember it bothering me then. Maybe it was something to do with the emulator I was playing the original on as a kid.

Garou

The last one would be more comprehensible in English if you just say the way they step forward one at a time and attack reminds me of playing Hana Ichi Monme as a kid

Awesome! Thanks for this, I suspected it was something like that but had no idea which. I added a link to the line.

Top Bottom