• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojo2

Neo Member
My son (3,5 yo.) made a Switch. The dock might scratch it though.

We are this excited to go and get MK8D tomorrow.

giphy.gif

So, we have a Portable-only Switch game in that one indie game

When are we going to see a TV-only Switch game?

We kind of already have one with Just Dance 2017, as it doesn't do shit all in portable mode and only a very small set of circumstances seem to make tabletop mode viable (close up, at or near eye level).

anyone have a problem waking a docked Switch from sleep?

I am using a pro-controller wired to the console and I still have issues, it takes like a minute or two to respond

is this just normal booting from sleep?

_Clash_

Got a Switch today purely for Mario Kart (and Ultra Street Fighter II next month). I hope it's worth it, have not touched a MK game since Mario Kart DS (which I purchased a DS-Lite just to play lol).

Don't ever intend on buying Zelda: BOTW - game doesn't interest me one bit. The only Zelda I would look into buying is a VC re-release of Zelda II: Adventure of Link from the NES, loved it. I've found every Zelda game I attempted to play in the years since, severely lacking and boring.

...bruh, your Switch is cry

Poppyseed

Picked up some new JoyCon tonight from Target (just got a new shipment), and they still have the poor signal issue.

Sigh. Nintendo, fix this nonsense!

sirap

anyone have a problem waking a docked Switch from sleep?

I am using a pro-controller wired to the console and I still have issues, it takes like a minute or two to respond

is this just normal booting from sleep?

I don't think so. My Switch wakes up instantaneously when I press the home button (green light turns on)

It does take a while for all the HDMI voodoo to wake up my TV, but definitely not a 1-2 minute wait.

Inotti

Meh, that's not a problem. I tried the Pro Controller at Best Buy, and I prefer the Joy-Con Grip. I'll be getting the one with the charger and another set of Joy-Con before the Pro Controller.

I thought that I was the only one! I really really like the joycon grip even better thatn pro controller. :D

Turrican3

Hey guys, did Nintendo silently made the savegame backup available on the Switch or am I missing something obvious?

EDIT nope, guess I get what happened but I have to check a couple of things to be 100% sure

Phoenixus

So I'm gonna be one of 'those people' for a moment and make note that the 'Successfully Downloaded' message is incorrectly spelt on the Switch, missing a c letter. I'm curious if Nintendo will ever feel the need to fix it. :p

Edit; UK Switch, maybe the word is spelt differently elsewhere and they forgot to correct it, I dunno.

I really just don't want to play video games on any other system at this point.

I ended up getting Hollow Knight for the pc and I really enjoyed my experience with it, but the whole time through I kept thinking "I wish I was holding the Switch pro controller, joy-con or playing this in bed right now".
I've always split my time between consoles, pc and handheld so I was already sold on the idea of having a hybrid before even getting it, but I'm still blown away by just how convenient this system is.

I'll double dip on Hollow Knight once it's released on the Switch.

Kudo

I really just don't want to play video games on any other system at this point.

I ended up getting Hollow Knight for the pc and I really enjoyed my experience with it, but the whole time through I kept thinking "I wish I was holding the Switch pro controller, joy-con or playing this in bed right now".
I've always split my time between consoles, pc and handheld so I was already sold on the idea of having a hybrid before even getting it, but I'm still blown away by just how convenient this system is.

I'll double dip on Hollow Knight once it's released on the Switch.

Heh, I refunded Hollow Knight on Steam just because few minutes on to the game I realized it'll be perfect metroidvania on Switch once it releases.

Mr. F

Banned
Joycons are getting a bit wobbly when attached to the screen. I'm a bit worried for the long term wear from normal use, I've been as careful to not apply pressure as possible.

LNuneek

Neo Member
First post! Just got approved for membership.

I'm an older casual gamer and signed up to the site around the time The Switch was officially announced. I'd like to get back into the loop of things as I haven't been gaming much for a few years (don't own any current gen systems yet), and think I might want to pick the hobby back up.

With the Switch how is 3rd party support looking for the near future and does it look like an abundance of games in general will eventually be released?

I'm asking because when I visit my local games store, there is only a handful of games. Zelda being the only one that interests me, and right now just one game isn't enough for me to justify the purchase of a Switch.

Also, I have a Wii (the first one, not the Wii-U) that I purchased classic Nintendo games on through the e-shop, will I be able to migrate those games to The Switch and the account I create on there?

Thanks!

Bendo

With the Switch how is 3rd party support looking for the near future and does it look like an abundance of games in general will eventually be released?
In terms of indie 3rd party games it's looking very good. The hybrid nature of it makes it a natural fit for shorter games. 3rd party AAA however, are very much an unknown. So far there has been little other than token efforts from EA and Ubisoft, and even though that might change as the install base grows, it's unlikely to be anything close to the PS4 for a while, if ever. We'll probably have a better feel for AAA support after E3, but I'm not terribly optimistic.

Also, I have a Wii (the first one, not the Wii-U) that I purchased classic Nintendo games on through the e-shop, will I be able to migrate those games to The Switch and the account I create on there?
We don't know yet as no details of Virtual Console have been published. I'd be surprised if some form of migration isn't available, but you never know with Nintendo. Again, we'll probably know more after E3.

LNuneek

Neo Member
In terms of indie 3rd party games it's looking very good. The hybrid nature of it makes it a natural fit for shorter games. 3rd party AAA however, are very much an unknown. So far there has been little other than token efforts from EA and Ubisoft, and even though that might change as the install base grows, it's unlikely to be anything close to the PS4 for a while, if ever. We'll probably have a better feel for AAA support after E3, but I'm not terribly optimistic.

We don't know yet as no details of Virtual Console have been published. I'd be surprised if some form of migration isn't available, but you never know with Nintendo. Again, we'll probably know more after E3.

Thank you for the response!

I will hold tight and wait for E3 to get a better impression on what the future holds for the system.

Just a simple question about this site. Is there notifications if someone quotes/replies to you? Just wondering because I don't think I got one when you replied.

disco

Is Mario Kart Switch really that difficult to find? I walked into Gamespot Düsseldorf yesterday and paid and reserved one outright for pickup 10am Friday with no hiccups whatsoever.

Is Mario Kart Switch really that difficult to find? I walked into Gamespot Düsseldorf yesterday and paid and reserved one outright for pickup 10am Friday with no hiccups whatsoever.

It's not picking up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the Switch that will be difficult, it's picking up a Switch for the day Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes out that will be difficult.

Unai

Do we know if Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be a true direct sequel, or will it be unrelated (like most Final Fantasy games)?

Plum

So I bought a pair of Neon Joycons...

...god damn these look good. I really regret not changing my pre-order to Neon back when I could now. My Grey ones are going to be relegated to multiplayer get-togethers.

muteki

Got my Switch yesterday and after some stress with the screen protector everything works great! My dock does appear to be bent a bit so no way I was using it until I had something on the screen.

I did discover a problem I haven't had in the past - but due to the thing having an exhaust fan I have to be really careful not to fall asleep while playing in bed or the vent will be blocked. I may need to pick up one of those bendy arms...

mojo2

Neo Member
That was my first thought too, my niece is 3.5 and she couldn't set out to make something like this. Though I suppose not all children develop at the same pace...

Christ.. You guys are fucking crazy. I'll make sure to not post anything like that in here again. Sorry if I offended you!

Check YouTube what 3,5 yo. can do.

Damn. That's weird.

It's a port of a mobile game that's controlled exclusively through the touch screen. If you watch some footage of the game, you'll see that there's really no way they game could be designed around anything but a touch screen. I think allowing games like that to be locked to handheld mode exclusively, is fine.

ParityBit

Is there a way to redeem my eShop giftcard from Amazon on the phone web browser? I am having a hell of a time finding a place to enter it.

e_i

I think the Switch does have a (hidden) browser. My work (library) has public WiFi, but requires people to read through our rules through a webpage that automatically opens up using IE after joining the network. When I joined the network, it came up with a message saying the network requires a sign in, then opened up something to open up the page.

BizzyBum

I do like the quick and clean UI but it does have some odd quirks.

When you have 13 games in your library there's an option all the way to the right panel to display them all so it then shows multiples rows of games. Not sure why Nintendo is hiding this feature but okay. What's really dumb is that it's only temporary. Once you play a game or go into sleep mode it reverts back to the single line and thus hiding all your games.

WHYYYY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom