• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2017 (Apr 17 - Apr 23)

Well there hasn't been any new releases except for Romance of the 3 Kingdoms back in 3/30 (which didn't even chart in the top 50), and now Spelunker, a f2p game turned into a normal game.

Fates (especially Conquest) had good gameplay and maps though. I hear that Gaiden's maps were terrible.

Yeah but the story was trash that it soured the gameplay imo. Good gameplay could not save that game from mediocrity.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Price drop is right around the same time as Splatoon 2 launching.
There won't be a Switch price drop anytime soon.

They might have a Mario Kart Bundle for the Holidays or something along those lines but thats it. Price drop will only happen of they aren't confident in their lineup. Switch is appealing enough hardware wise that it sells on word of mouth alone - don't know why Nintendo would drop the price this year with that kind of demand.

Also since I expect the Switch to have more hardware refreshes than past Nintendo consoles they have to be smart about the timing of price drops.

Same reason why MonHun4 was 3DS only and SF5 was PS4 only. $$$

To break it down a bit more: Making a third party title exclusive to a platform generally revolves around 3 reasons:
1) The console maker has just straight up paid for exclusivity
2) The console maker and the developers/publisher have arranged some kind of specific deal, better than the usual third party fare. So ideally, the console maker will profit because they'll have all the sales, rather than a third or half, while the third party either gets more money per sale or doesn't have to pay as much to be on the platform.
3) Particulars of hardware, whether in power or some feature that doesn't easily translate across all platforms.

Points 2 and 3 are likely most applicable here. I really doubt Nintendo would prefer to pay out of pocket for each MH game versus simply giving Capcom a favourable set of conditions for the franchise. MH on the 3DS also made the capacity for local multiplayer a key factor of the mainstream franchise, particularly in Japan, while any PS4 version would have to lack that outside of a complicated setup. Easier to encourage people you know IRL to get the game themselves and play with you in that regard. So it's not as simple as presuming that being on more platforms will directly translate to more money overall for Capcom.

Branduil

They might have a Mario Kart Bundle for the Holidays or something along those lines but thats it. Price drop will only happen of they aren't confident in their lineup. Switch is appealing enough hardware wise that it sells on word of mouth alone - don't know why Nintendo would drop the price this year with that kind of demand.

Also since I expect the Switch to have more hardware refreshes than past Nintendo consoles they have to be smart about the timing of price drops.

No I mean Splatoon 2 is releasing around the same time in Switch's life as the 3DS price drop.

He means Splatoon 2 launching is time-aligned with the 3DS's unprecedented price drop.

EDIT: the man hath spoketh

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Speaking of Fire Emblem: while it's certainly not a bad result per se, I believe Nintendo could have had higher expectations for its Japanese debut. We'll see how it performs in the next future, though.

In the next few hours we'll get the first Famitsu Monthly Ranking with Switch games included; reposting myself from the other thread

Some early tidbits from Famitsu's March Digital + Retail Top 30, coming from Hokanko (feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong)

MHXX at the top of the DL chart, but low ratio
Horizon: Zero Dawn second
God of War 3 Remaster (thanks to the 100 Yen deal for PS+ users) and Assassin's Creed Unity selling well
Zelda: BOTW on Switch with a digital ratio of over 10%? (It's how Hokanko wrote it complete with the question mark)

cw_sasuke

No I mean Splatoon 2 is releasing around the same time in Switch's life as the 3DS price drop.
Oh sorry I didn't get that... Yeah both of these point align. Will be interesting to compare the performance of both systems after that.

LordKano

Why are people anticipating a price drop for a console that sell out every unit shipped every week

EDIT : oh it's about the 3DS, nevermind

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2017 (Apr 17 - Apr 23)
09./00. [NSW] Minna de Wai Wai! Spelunker <ACT> (Square Enix) {2017.04.20} (¥4.980) - 7.447 / NEW

So this is the first non-launch Switch title to chart if I'm not mistaken (then again there have only been 2 Switch titles after launch thus far).

Why are people anticipating a price drop for a console that sell out every unit shipped every week

The poster clarified he was saying Splatoon 2's launch is happening for Switch at around the same time as the 3DS pricecut (although it looks like that might be slightly off).

Switch VS Other Launches
switch2_zps0obhajo5.jpg

QONVIyz.gif

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's probably going to become more of a monument than a wall.

Post January conference almost the entire forum was down the device and not insignificant number thought it was DoA. Though this the same forum the completely misjudged wildlands, so it's par for course really. I don't really blame them I was fairly down on the thing myself.

random25

There won't be a 3DS price cut anytime soon, especially with DQXI dropping. Holidays will be the soonest possible price drop for it.

L~A

We time travel now.

Well someone had to travel back in time to prevent the MH5 PS4 exclusivity deal from being signed! ;)

Seriously, putting March instead of May (and vice-versa) is a typo I make way too often to my liking : |

It's still way too soon for a wall of shame. Unless you want to risk winding up on a different wall of shame.

Nintendo's forecasts coming today/tomorrow will help us figure out when we can do a wall of shame.
Wall of shame is ready. I still remember the Reggie topic about him talking about inviting friends with the phone app. Had many people saying it wouldn't outsell the Wii U. Same with that other topic where some place predicted is would sell a certain amount by the end of 2019 I believe. And you had people in there saying the same thing about how dead the Switch will be.

Post January conference almost the entire forum was down the device and not insignificant number thought it was DoA. Though this the same forum the completely misjudged wildlands, so it's par for course really.

I remember being uncertain about the price. There had been a lot of discussion by people on how $250 (and its various equivalents) was what they felt would be the upper limit of what would be acceptable price wise, so when 299 flashed up on screen... yeah.

I get it's actually cheaper in Japan by about thirty dollars, but still it's kinda amazing how Nintendo have been able to sell the value proposition on this thing.

Edit:
Wall of shame is ready. I still remember the Reggie topic about him talking about inviting friends with the phone app. Had many people saying it wouldn't outsell the Wii U. Same with that other topic where some place predicted is would sell a certain amount by the end of 2019 I believe. And you had people in there saying the same thing about how dead the Switch will be.

Man I would love to see just how long that thing is.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So this is the first non-launch Switch title to chart if I'm not mistaken (then again there have only been 2 Switch titles after launch thus far).

The poster clarified he was saying Splatoon 2's launch is happening for Switch at around the same time as the 3DS pricecut (although it looks like that might be slightly off).

Minna de Wai Wai! Spelunker is a game for which I'd love to get a better context in order to judge its sales. Small first week for sure, but do we have infos on how successful Spelunker World / Minna de Spelunker Z has been so far as a F2P on PS4 / Vita? I suppose even a small range of success must've been reached, since the game is still getting special events as of a week ago (http://www.spelunkerworld.com/info/2017/04/20/event_information_updated_420.html), but I fear we have no ranges of any sort, have we?

cw_sasuke

Post January conference almost the entire forum was down the device and not insignificant number thought it was DoA. Though this the same forum the completely misjudged wildlands, so it's par for course really. I don't really blame them I was fairly down on the thing myself.
Launch Switch week was even worse on GAF... Overreaction everywhere, people where losing their minds about everything and made it look like Virtual Boy 2 just got launched.

Meanwhile the system performed just fine IRL. The negativity during the first couple Switch days was something I haven't witness before on GAF... even with DS/Wii/3DS/WiiU it was never that bad. Maybe its because the user growth in the past years... But still, wasn't a good look.

PS4 is really slowing down now, and there isn't really any big new releases for it in Japan for a while unless I'm forgetting something.

Great legs for Switch. Hopefully Nintendo are doing everything they can to have a large amount of units ready to go for Mario Kart.

The negativity during the first couple Switch days was something I haven't witness before on GAF... even with DS/Wii/3DS/WiiU it was never that bad. Maybe its because the user growth in the past years... But still, wasn't a good look.

The lead up to the release of the Xbox One was the most negative of any console on GAF. That was in many ways justifiable though

Eh I'm as confident in its success as anyone but it still hasn't overtaken the Wii U in Japan, and likely not worldwide either (due to the oversupply of Wii U's at launch no doubt) so I still think it's a bit premature.

I'd say give it 6 months from launch.

L~A

Combined, both versions of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild have sold 500 344 units. Next milestone: 600 000 units. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe launch + restocks + Golden Week should provide a healthy boost for the Switch version.

Of course, that's retail only.

If I were you I would wait 2-3 months before saying Switch can't match the 4,3m of 3DS first year.

Well I guess we shall see. Maybe if Switch manages to build enough buffer before holidays it could have chance. Hard to see anything selling like 3DS did in 2011 december ever again.

Price drop is right around the same time as Splatoon 2 launching.

Switch might keep up somewhat with 3DS for month or two after the price drop but I am mainly sceptical of it doing anywhere near the 3DS numbers during holidays as 3DS was killing it during 2011 december even compared to holidays of allmighty DS.

ggx2ac

I remember being uncertain about the price. There had been a lot of discussion by people on how $250 (and its various equivalents) was what they felt would be the upper limit of what would be acceptable price wise, so when 299 flashed up on screen... yeah.

I get it's actually cheaper in Japan by about thirty dollars, but still it's kinda amazing how Nintendo have been able to sell the value proposition on this thing.

$299 was a concern regarding price but it ended up being surprising how the price didn't really affect sales like the Wii U on launch.

I point out how there were threads for Wii U units on clearance somewhere in Europe, etc where you'd get the comment that someone wouldn't&#8203; buy it unless it was €200 and came packed in with two games etc etc.

Now instead we have a Switch stock thread where people are trying to hunt one down still even though it's been out for over a month and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will launch in around 48 hours.

kswiston

Decent but expected sales for Fire Emblem Echoes. Not much there for some of the new fanbase who liked the matchmaking stuff, plus it's a remake. Is FE Gaiden on eShop? I expect western sales to be proportionately better, if not down from Awakening and Fates.

I wonder how the Switch version of Fire Emblem will do.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
PS4 is really slowing down now, and there isn't really any big new releases for it in Japan for a while unless I'm forgetting something.

Great legs for Switch. Hopefully Nintendo are doing everything they can to have a large amount of units ready to go for Mario Kart.

The lead up to the release of the Xbox One was the most negative of any console on GAF. That was in many ways justifiable though

Yeah Microsoft deserved that. Microsoft's arrogance during the whole thing was the weirdest part, they didn't even win the gen and PS3 sold very, very close to the 360 in the end.

Nintendo clearly had a thought through plan of the switch. Even though people did not like the digital show in general it seemed the game adverts themselves were on point and sold the concept well. Stark difference to the Wii U and even 3DS.

$299 was a concern regarding price but it ended up being surprising how the price didn't really affect sales like the Wii U on launch.

I point out how there were threads for Wii U units on clearance somewhere in Europe, etc where you'd get the comment that someone wouldn't&#8203; buy it unless it was €200 and came packed in with two games etc etc.

Now instead we have a Switch stock thread where people are trying to hunt one down still even though it's been out for over a month and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will launch in around 48 hours.

The biggest issue of the price was all the rumours I feel. most expect 300, but we'd had rumours for months saying $250 so it was inevitably going to disappoint. That and the western 3rd party support was and still is a major question mark.

Branduil

Well I guess we shall see. Maybe if Switch manages to build enough buffer before holidays it could have chance. Hard to see anything selling like 3DS did in 2011 december ever again.

Switch might keep up somewhat with 3DS for month or two after the price drop but I am mainly sceptical of it doing anywhere near the 3DS numbers during holidays as 3DS was killing it during 2011 december even compared to holidays of allmighty DS.

I mean it's really hard to say anything for sure about the Switch's trajectory as long as it continues to sell every unit Nintendo ships.

Combined, both versions of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild have sold 500 344 units. Next milestone: 600 000 units. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe launch + restocks + Golden Week should provide a healthy boost for the Switch version.

Of course, that's retail only.

I wonder what the next Zelda lifetime sales to conquer are. I know it's outpaced Skyward Sword with gusto.

Seriously. Hell, there are multiple threads dedicated to its price in differing regions, several hundred pages long. People reacted with shock and then bought it anyway.

cw_sasuke

If Smash Bros. + Pokémon Stars rumors are true I could see it happen - add one big 3rdParty release for the Holidays.. Let's call it Monster Hunter and we are good to go

3DS 2011 was strong but it still had more competition than the Switch right now and the appeal of the system was lower. OG 3DS without an XL version - Switch is more than just a handheld so it might eclipse portable hardware sales of the past. Remember... No matter how shitty Nintendo home systems were doing, when the Holidays started they performed relatively well. With Switch we have a system that caters to both audiences, so especially around the Holidays demand might get crazy. People spending time with their families and the Switch being the hybrid console with local multi-player from the get go? Winter is coming.

Edit:

Sure, but MS deserved it with the One. The system was just inferior and more expensive than the direct competition that launched the same Holiday season.

Then mental gymnastics that some people went through to convince themselves that the Switch would be another WiiU during week 1 though... I was impressed lol.

L~A

17./19. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5) {2016.12.15} (¥4.800) - 3.163 / 707.846 (+13%)

Looks like Ver. 3.0 is doing wonders with sales. Wonder when 4.0 will launch. Ver. 3.0 was initially announced in January, roughly a month after 2.0 shipped iirc.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I wonder what the next Zelda lifetime sales to conquer are. I know it's outpaced Skyward Sword with gusto.

Seriously. Hell, there are multiple threads dedicated to its price in differing regions, several hundred pages long. People reacted with shock and then bought it anyway.

I mean it's a $50 difference. It wasn't that large of a jump if you were interested. $599 it was not.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Looks like Ver. 3.0 is doing wonders with sales. Wonder when 4.0 will launch. Ver. 3.0 was initially announced in January, roughly a month after 2.0 shipped iirc.

Is it not just a pre-Golden Week boost? I assumed that's why Bomberman sold slightly more and Zelda basically stayed flat.

ggx2ac

I'd say Zelda was a big factor for people buying it. Not many people expected it to go higher than the low 90s in Metacritic, then suddenly it just blows away everyone&#8203;'s expectations.

It's the Mario 64 of the Switch, with Bomberman being Wave Race.

Top Bottom