• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft promise a Wii U exclusive Rayman Legends demo.

D_prOdigy

Also where is this from? It's like the perfect reaction gif. This wasn't in Metroid Prime was it?!
s5ibn9.jpguwjg8.gif

No.

Metroid Prime 2

Squire

Banned
Isn't this one of the team's main complaints? Crunching to finish the game while simultaneously putting together demos for trade-shows this past year?

LOL, Ubi alright.

Portugeezer

No, it actually isn't proof of that.

I don't think that's the case, it wasn't about fucking over the employees. Ubisoft wanted to delay for PS3/360 versions and that was it, in the process all that hard work and overtime (crunching as people say) to get the February Wii U launch ended up being pointless.

MisterHero

Neither you nor the devs know when the decision to delay the game was finally made.

That is proof enough that management willfully fucked their employees.

dev post in other thread said:
For practical matters, you'll have to wait for some months for the game to be released and will most likely serve for more content to be added and do it better. For us, this means we've spent 6 months barely seeing our wifes, kids, and friends for nothing because, after all, such a haste wasn't needed. Believe it, it was a hell to swallow these news.
It's known that game developers can have harsh schedules, but this is a pretty serious charge. It really does sound like execs are jerking them around.

Ubi dev 1:"Yay! the game is over now we can go have more time with our families!"

Ubi executive:"Not so fast guys! we just announced the 360/PS3 versions!"

Ubi dev 2:"Right...but...the Wii U version is finished so other team can..."

Ubi executive:"Yeah....no, Wii U is delayed to september so you can polish the game even more alongside doing the ports!"

Ubi dev 3:"The fuck with that! I barely saw my wife in all those months!

Ubi executive 2:"You're wife is doing good! trust me! HAHAHA"

Ubi dev 3:"FUCK YOU!""

Ubi executive:"Now now...so rude, I think you and your companions need some extra work to learn some manners so....now you also have to do another Wii U demo"

Ubi devs:"NOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Ubi executive 2:"What are we gonna do with that demo?"

Ubi executive:"Exclusive demo for compensation to Wii U users"

Ubi executive 2:"That's brilliant!"

Ubi executive 1:"I know! HAHAHHAHAHAHA"

LOL. Nice!

guek

Banned
Yes but it still baffles me in a way. Let's say there's a new Zelda coming out. It's looking awesome. It's releasing Next week. Nintendo says "we are delaying it till September because we want to release it with it's 3DS port", does that change the fact that it's going to be a game that people want to buy? Does it really matter what the release date is?

Yes, it is frustrating that the game is being held "hostage" but if you are a fan of the original or if you loved the demo and want the final game, release date should be the last thing in everyone's mind.

This reaction is fueled by frustration and impatience, not a lack of interest. The release date of a game can make a world of difference. Just look at games like FFvs or Last Guardian. Are you saying people anticipating those games shouldn't be the least bit upset or concerned with how long its taking for them to be released?

I don't think that's the case, it wasn't about fucking over the employees. Ubisoft wanted to delay for PS3/360 versions and that was it, in the process all that hard work and overtime (crunching as people say) to get the February Wii U launch ended up being pointless.

Welcome to software development. Ultimately all their hard work will be on display, which is a much better proposition than projects where people are pushed incredibly hard, only to see the project completely canceled.

Microsoft won't like that.

Is one of Microsoft's many insane rules that you can't give something exclusive to another platform and still be allowed to release on 360? I wouldn't doubt it.

The_Monk

Oh yeah? Well sony is going to get an EXCLUSIVE T-shirt of Rayman so you can use it on Home and MS will have one EXCLUSIVE gamer pic for your profile.

There, your move again Ubi.

Nairume

Banned
Neither you nor the devs know when the decision to delay the game was finally made. Unless you have proof that management willfully fucked their employees, it's a rather shitty thing to accuse them of.
Let's put it this way, going by what we know coming straight from people on the dev team.

Management set and retained the release date for later on this month, being more than aware of the state of the game and the state of WiiU sales.

Management almost definitely forced them to go on crunch to meet the deadline.

Management then went into deliberation on whether to delay/port the game while they were still on crunch to finish the game for this month

Management then made the decision to delay/port the game while they were still on crunch to finish the game for this month.

Management then made the announcement to delay/port the game while they were still on crunch to finish the game for this month.

Management is now almost definitely making them sit on a very complete game that was set to be released at a good time for the game while they rush to port it to other consoles for a wider release during a time when the game is more likely to fail and the development team is put in a precarious position.

That's pretty willful fucking right there.

No, it actually isn't proof of that.

Enough for what? To make baseless accusations about a situation you have zero knowledge of? Perhaps.

Do you work for Ubi upper management? What's going on? Did you not see the post about the Monpelier employee that said they got fucked over?

Hoodbury

Yes, it is frustrating that the game is being held "hostage" but if you are a fan of the original or if you loved the demo and want the final game, release date should be the last thing in everyone's mind.

I disagree, release date is very important. A lot of Wii U gamers have plenty of free 'gaming time' around now. We've played our launch games and are ready for the next installment of games. We have open time to play right now.

Come September, I'm assuming our 'gaming time' will not be so open anymore.

For the die hard Rayman fans, maybe not so much. But there are plenty of us where this would only be a nice to have game and now is a really good time to get it due to the timing. Come September, I most likely won't care anymore. I'll have plenty of other games that were a higher priority to me.

Foffy

Banned
Yes but it still baffles me in a way. Let's say there's a new Zelda coming out. It's looking awesome. It's releasing Next week. Nintendo says "we are delaying it till September because we want to release it with it's 3DS port", does that change the fact that it's going to be a game that people want to buy? Does it really matter what the release date is?

Those delays do not happen less than three weeks from the launch of a product, though. When Twilight Princess got delayed, and people did get pissed, that title wasn't dated. It was given a ballpark release date.

Rayman Legends was specifically dated for this month. That is what people are so furious about with this. They literally pulled the rug out for the product as it was gearing up to be released on Wii U to announce other versions and hold back the Wii U release for it.

And its release period does matter. Rayman stood out because there's not much out right now. By the end of the year we will have all of that big E3 stuff to look forward to, and GTA V. Will Rayman stand out then? Fuck no.

This reaction is fueled by frustration and impatience, not a lack of interest. The release date of a game can make a world of difference. Just look at games like FFvs or Last Guardian. Are you saying people anticipating those games shouldn't be the least bit upset or concerned with how long its taking for them to be released?

I understand this, which is why I stated that it's frustrating. You brought up The Last Guardian. I've been waiting for that for quite some time. 2 years delay to be exact. It's looking to be a PS4 title now. Does that change the fact that I won't be buying the game? No, it won't.

sd28821

the real question is how long it will be exclusive as they may decide to delay it for 7 months and release it on all systems.

bounchfx

I don't understand.. why can't they just release the Wii U version now since it's ready and the other platforms later? wtf?

I absolutely buy my games based on schedules. I know when I have to buy presents and I will be purchasing other games. I like Rayman, but there's a number of titles I would purchase over it (Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart, Pikmin 3, GTA V, and games I held off purchasing til they drop to 20 dollars or less). Rayman falls under the category of Ill pay full price if Im not otherwise buying other titles.

Rayman is great but does not compare to Zelda. For me, Rayman is a title that I planned to get in Feb because I don't see a whole lot of other games that I'm interested in and my Wife and I enjoyed Rayman Origins. When Sept. comes around I plan on playing GTA and clearing out my backlog to make room for dem Next Gen MS/Sony systems :)

Ubi executive 2:"You're wife is doing good! trust me! HAHAHA"
So, so bad lol. I still can't believe that Ubi's gotten themselves into this mess. Surely they could have made enough changes to Legends to make a unique release for the PS360 this fall without delaying the Wii U version. I always assumed that was going to happen anyway with Legends becoming Origins 2.

Do you work for Ubi upper management? What's going on? Did you not see the post about the Monpelier employee that said they got fucked over?

I said willfully fucked over. Getting fucked over by circumstances beyond your control isn't the same as an executive at the corporate offices twiddling his fingers Mr. Burns style thinking of ways to torment his employees.

Management is now almost definitely making them sit on a very complete game that was set to be released at a good time for the game while they rush to port it to other consoles for a wider release during a time when the game is more likely to fail and the development team is put in a precarious position.

That's pretty willful fucking right there.

Development isn't sitting on the game. Ubisoft is. Dev has been paid for their work and will continue to get paid for it. Ubisoft is the one losing out on money right now due to the delay. One would think they're willing to sacrifice that money because they believe there's more to be earned by releasing it later.

I have a great idea for a demo if they're actually going to go ahead with this whole September thing, and it's called a free "limitless full game trial" available to eeeeevvvveryone who downloaded the first one on Wii U.

You can borrow my idea, Yves.

Portugeezer

Welcome to software development. Ultimately all their hard work will be on display, which is a much better proposition than projects where people are pushed incredibly hard, only to see the project completely canceled.

Thank you for the welcome.

It's not whether their hard work will be on display, obviously it will, but they didn't have to work their asses off for a February release date. It takes the piss.

Salz01

Is today April 1st? I mean this is a joke right? Ubisuck is trolling now. I don't want a demo, I want the game. Here is my money for Feb, release it... Then take my money.

Nairume

Banned
I said willfully fucked over. Getting fucked over by circumstances beyond your control isn't the same as an executive at the corporate offices twiddling his fingers Mr. Burns style thinking of ways to torment his employees.

They circumstances weren't beyond their control.

They had the ability to communicate to the development team at any point between the time that they even considered that the game needed to be ported/delayed, and that they may or may not have needed to remain on crunch to meet the release date that management set. Alternatively, they could have let the team finish the WiiU version, launch the game, let them enjoy a brief break following their crunch, and then set them to port the game.

Ubisoft's management may not have greedily wrung their hands while laughing about how they were going to fuck over the team, but they sure as hell willingly chose the worst way to handle this for the dev team, the game itself, and their fans.

Fucking Ubisoft :lol

See, they are just trying to make us laugh so we calm down a little bit!

Why did I buy a Wii U so soon ;_;

guek

Banned
I understand this, which is why I stated that it's frustrating. You brought up The Last Guardian. I've been waiting for that for quite some time. 2 years delay to be exact. It's looking to be a PS4 title now. Does that change the fact that I won't be buying the game? No, it won't.

Oh sure. I agree that boycotting the game isn't necessarily rational, if that's what you're getting at. It's kind of paradoxical though. People boycott the game because they are angry, they are angry because they want the game, but they don't want it enough to pick it up when it's finally available. Yet they want it enough to get angry enough to boycott the game. @_@

the petition though I think is more about wanting to buy the game NOW when people know they'd buy it rather than wait 7 months when they're unsure of the purchase. It's basically a petition asking ubisoft to take their money.

Effect

This is really just throwing gasoline on the fire. Ubisoft really should just stay quiet and hope it goes away. They've already killed any sales they'd get for the game. They should just hope they sell a lot of copies in 2014 after the game hits the bargin bin.

AniHawk

execs made a decision they knew would result in a lot of super hard work being all for naught. this was followed up by a decision they knew would take more time and resources (people).

they didn't do it just to be dicks, but it was a dick move.

They circumstances weren't beyond their control.

They had the ability to communicate to the development team at any point between the time that they even considered that the game needed to be ported/delayed, and that they may or may not have needed to remain on crunch to meet the release date that management set. Alternatively, they could have let the team finish the WiiU version, launch the game, let them enjoy a brief break following their crunch, and then set them to port the game.

Ubisoft's management may not have greedily wrung their hands while laughing about how they were going to fuck over the team, but they sure as hell willingly chose the worst way to handle this for the dev team, the game itself, and their fans.

When did Ubisoft management decide the delay was necessary?

execs made a decision they knew would result in a lot of super hard work being all for naught. this was followed up by a decision they knew would take more time and resources (people).

they didn't do it just to be dicks, but it was a dick move.

It's called a business move. If you're a developer and these types of things bother you, you're in the wrong line of work.

farnham

Banned
Ubi dev 1:"Yay! the game is over now we can go have more time with our families!"

Ubi executive:"Not so fast guys! we just announced the 360/PS3 versions!"

Ubi dev 2:"Right...but...the Wii U version is finished so other team can..."

Ubi executive:"Yeah....no, Wii U is delayed to september so you can polish the game even more alongside doing the ports!"

Ubi dev 3:"The fuck with that! I barely saw my wife in all those months!

Ubi executive 2:"You're wife is doing good! trust me!I was just with her tonight HAHAHA"

Ubi dev 3:"FUCK YOU!""

Ubi executive:"Now now...so rude, I think you and your companions need some extra work to learn some manners so....now you also have to do another Wii U demo"

Ubi devs:"NOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Ubi executive 2:"What are we gonna do with that demo?"

Ubi executive:"Exclusive demo for compensation to Wii U users"

Ubi executive 2:"That's brilliant!"

Ubi executive 1:"I know! HAHAHHAHAHAHA"

Wife of Ubi dev 3 : "Hahahaha"

completed

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Guek: But they're not delaying it because the release date is better. In fact, it's much worse: They'll be going up against GTA, Madden, Wind Waker HD, and other heavy hitters across all systems. Rayman will be forgotten in the shuffle.

Not only that, but the conditions for release on the Wii U couldn't be any more favorable to them than they are right now: There's nothing for them to compete with until the end March, and the launch window itch still exists, so the userbase will be more willing to impulse purchase Rayman on the Wii U right NOW.

There is no reason why they can't release the game now on the WiiU and in September on the 360 and PS3. There's no logical reason for the WiiU version to be delayed: The conditions will be less favorable for sales in the fall than they, and the game is DONE. Plus they released a demo already, and announced the delay less than 3 weeks before the game's release date. There are probably some Rayman WiiU discs and boxes sitting in warehouses now.

All this does is hurt the sales potential and piss the people already prepared to buy the game off. As well as the people who worked on the game.

Top Bottom