• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

So is this the catchall Switch thread? Just had a quick thought. I remember people usually say leaving your cell phone or tablet (anything with a battery) constantly plugged in even after it's done charging could be harmful. Is that no longer the case? I would imagine that this isn't a problem for the Switch since it's designed to be both portable and plugged in all of the time.

JoeM86

So is this the catchall Switch thread? Just had a quick thought. I remember people usually say leaving your cell phone or tablet (anything with a battery) constantly plugged in even after it's done charging could be harmful. Is that no longer the case? I would imagine that this isn't a problem for the Switch since it's designed to be both portable and plugged in all of the time.

As far as I am aware, and I may be wrong about this, but technology has progressed to a point where that's no longer actually a factor, or a large factor and that the products can detect it and protect the battery

Stock in the Netherlands seems to be improving. Multiple (web)shops now have stock. Got mine a few days ago.

Pro controller is a different story though. It goes for around 80 euro's if they have them :-\

Had to go to walmart again this morning and they still have stock of both grey and neon...nice. I'm tempted to buy one but only game I want that is out is botw...seems silly to buy it for one game

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Had to go to walmart again this morning and they still have stock of both grey and neon...nice. I'm tempted to buy one but only game I want that is out is botw...seems silly to buy it for one game

That's what the rest of us did mate but plenty games on the store to download that you won't have heard of.

Hybris

That was much easier than I feared. Created an istocknow notification on Sunday night. Wake up at 6 for work and see that a walmart on the way to my office has exactly one in stock as of 1 AM, so I stopped at their electronics dept when they open at 7, walk out with the console. This was in Baton Rouge, LA. I have a feeling that I lucked out.

TS-08

I mean, if you know other games will be coming out for it in the near future that you are interested in, you aren't just buying it for one game. So you have to decide what the purpose of waiting for is if you know you will want to buy it eventually. Are you waiting for a revision? Don't expect that to happen any time soon. Same for any potential price cut. And there's a real risk to waiting, as the thing could become even harder to find as we near the holiday season. So unless you are adamant about waiting for a new version or a cheaper price and are willing to wait for years, potentially, then I don't see why you would wait if you are interested in it now.

Just buy it, it is not going to go down in price for a long time. Might as well get it now as an investment for games later on. You do not want to be rushing to get a Switch when something big comes out like Odyssey.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The worrying thing is that it probably did, but demand is still larger than supply (to be fair, though, Nintendo would expect lower demand in summer and plan to produce less than in fall months, so the two might cancel towards a similar degree of sell-out).

Actually, that's not how it works

They wouldn't produce less in the summer. Any excess consoles would be stockpiled for the holiday.

Supply hasn't met launch demand yet.

Production is expensive and slow to adjust. You want factories producing at near capacity at all times. You cant just decrease or increase supply willy nilly.

archvile7

See, I don't understand this mentality. We KNOW a bunch of good games ARE coming, and BOTW is easily a 60-200+ hour game (depending on how much stuff you try and collect), so why would you not buy it given a chance? The NAND stock situation is going to make these things impossible to find around Christmas time, especially with Odyssey being released. And I doubt they will be dropping the price anytime soon, or do any kind of hardware revision or XL version, if that's what you are waiting for.

Vlad

Is this thing ever available on Amazon without paying a ridiculous price?

They had a restock something like a month or so ago, where it was actually available from Amazon themselves for the correct price, but it was only available to Prime members and it went super fast. I don't think they've gotten a single restock since.

Ashhong

FYI ebay has a 15$ off 75 coupon right now. I found someone selling a new Pro controller for 75.01 and used it. Got a brand new Pro controller for 60$

pget15off

AcridMeat

Banned
FYI ebay has a 15$ off 75 coupon right now. I found someone selling a new Pro controller for 75.01 and used it. Got a brand new Pro controller for 60$

pget15off
Nice! I jumped on a pro controller when I got back home yesterday for $64 (they only had 2 left in stock).

Ashhong are you getting Spla2n?

I guess I missed all of the Splatoon Pro Controller preorders?

I still have a Japanese amazon preorder at least, came out to about $85 inc. shipping, which is only a few bucks above what it would've cost with tax.

dubq

If I buy a Japanese Switch, I can change the language to English correct? And it's also 100% region free so I can play North American games on it?

Any ordered from Nintendo UK store? I ordered yesterday and they said it would be next day but still not dispatched as of tonight. Will I be waiting a while? They are supposed to be in stock.

no it's not...Pro controller feels no better than a DS4 or X1 controller and cost more. It's ridiculous, I don't see how anyone can justify the price like it has some exceptional build quality or buttons that the other controllers don't. And the d-pad sucks.

It has a much much better battery life.

DS4 has a piss poor battery life.

marmoka

Banned
If I buy a Japanese Switch, I can change the language to English correct? And it's also 100% region free so I can play North American games on it?

No problem at all with games. You may only have trouble with the menu and user interface, it would be good to know if it's Japanese only or if it's possible to change language.

dubq

No problem at all with games. You may only have trouble with the menu and user interface, it would be good to know if it's Japanese only or if it's possible to change language.

Is changing the language not an option on the American Switch?

Has anyone had any success with these options to have BestBuy/Wal-Mart contact you when they have stock available?

I just registered with both, hope to snag a Switch sometime in the next coupla weeks

Neonep

Just buy it, it is not going to go down in price for a long time. Might as well get it now as an investment for games later on. You do not want to be rushing to get a Switch when something big comes out like Odyssey.

That's pretty much what I did. I'm definitely not going to try and find one when Odyssey comes out. I've seen multiple Switches at different Bestbuys. The common thread was they line up with games being released. I saw a few on shelf the day MK8D came out (at 2 different stores) and I walked in and bought mine (they also had more) the day after ARMS comes out. My best advice to anyone given my experience is to go to Bestbuy or Target or Walmart the day a major title comes out. So ya'll might want to go the day Splatoon 2 comes out.

Just traded in a buch of games at GS for store credit...Now to find a switch lol. Anybody have any tips on potentially getting a Switch at Gamestop? Do they take shipping orders or anything? Its been a min since I bought a console/anything from them..

Just traded in a buch of games at GS for store credit...Now to find a switch lol. Anybody have any tips on potentially getting a Switch at Gamestop? Do they take shipping orders or anything? Its been a min since I bought a console/anything from them..

I think Gamestop forces bundles when they get stock in.

no it's not...Pro controller feels no better than a DS4 or X1 controller and cost more. It's ridiculous, I don't see how anyone can justify the price like it has some exceptional build quality or buttons that the other controllers don't. And the d-pad sucks.

Just the fact that I get four times the battery life for $10.00 bucks over standard price justifies the price IMO.

Jeff-DSA

I dropped into Best Buy at lunch yesterday to grab Cave Story+ and saw a pyramid of Switch boxes behind the customer service desk. I asked about that and they said it was their shipment, already all sold out and waiting for in-store pickup. Had to be around 20 consoles.

Get ready to wait for a bundle. Gamestop loves the bundle.

Ashhong

Nice! I jumped on a pro controller when I got back home yesterday for $64 (they only had 2 left in stock).

Ashhong are you getting Spla2n?

Never checked out Splatoon because I didn't have a Wii U. Might have to look into it

Can I use DS4 or X1 on the switch?

Hindl

This is all subjective. I think it feels way better than the DS4, has better battery life than either, and has a better D-Pad than the DS4. If it had analog triggers it would also be better than the XB1, right now it's tied

It's a significantly more comfortable controller than the DS4 (which I do like quite a bit) and its battery life is insane, at over 40 hours. The DS4 lasts for, what, four hours? It's pathetic.

The d-pad does kind of suck though, I'll give you that.

It also comes with a long USB C cable I think, which is expensive for a cable.

Costs about $10 in itself so....that plus the ridiculously superior battery life already makes it worth the price compared to other controllers (plus stuff people likely don't care about like HD Rumble and NFC).

I have finally jumped in and my Neon Switch arrives tomorrow. I was going to wait until Splatoon and maybe even until Mario, but E3 got me very excited about the future of the console and I cracked. I am probably getting Mario Kart, but any other suggestions very welcome. I have already played through (60 hours) Zelda, worth double dipping?

I know this is a stock thread, so just for anyone in the U.K., these are in stock at the Nintendo Store and the site that shall not be named (are they still bannned?).

ramparter

Banned
HD rumble, Gyro, NFC but yeah it's the ridiculous Nintendo tax.

Kuosi

Ironically Switch is about the first Nintendo product for god nows how many years that doesn't have stock issues in Finland, its available everywhere and in good quantities

Found 5 Gray Switches at my local Target. No neons. Associate said they came in on Monday. Pure dumb luck and now I can stop being annoyed at not having one and complaining about it on the Internet!

OryoN

Found 5 Gray Switches at my local Target. No neons. Associate said they came in on Monday. Pure dumb luck and now I can stop being annoyed at not having one and complaining about it on the Internet!

You KNOW they're gonna ask you where exactly that is, so spill it already!

Also, did you manage to get a glance at their colored Joy-con stock? My target - Atlantic mall Brooklyn - didn't have any at all, not even grey ones, iirc. I was able to snag a grey Switch last week thanks to istocknow (and just being in the right area at the right time)but now I'm trying to find some Joy-con. Double blue or yellow will do. I MAY settle for neon r/b pair, but those are hard to find too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom