• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars V |OT| V is for Voyage! There's an ENG version!

hiten

Neo Member
As a secret mech unit, Alpha Azieru is kinda disappointing. Its most powerful attack has even less damage compared to the mass produced F91. The only advantage, it has barrier piercing and tons of HP.

As a secret mech unit, Alpha Azieru is kinda disappointing. Its most powerful attack has even less damage compared to the mass produced F91. The only advantage, it has barrier piercing and tons of HP.

Disappointing secret units have basically become a hallmark of modern Super Robot Wars.

I think that HD sprites have just become so expensive that it doesn't make sense to invest heavily in a unit and not guarantee it joining the player.

Bebpo

Banned
On one hand, V has a ton of secrets which is great. On the other hand, yeah they didn't want to put a lot of assets into stuff people might not see so they're all very minor units/attacks.

manfestival

What is the best place that has guides and advice on this game? I am terrified of committing to a unit that sucks or is going to be easily one upped

What is the best place that has guides and advice on this game? I am terrified of committing to a unit that sucks or is going to be easily one upped

I went with the mentality of "aww shit they're a main character/I recognize them" and it paid off pretty well. You'll be picking up a ton of characters as you go through the game as well as splitting paths so don't get too attached.

PSqueak

Banned

The nice thing about SRW games is you can turn any unit into a powerhouse, personally i always make sure Boss Borot (joke character from the Mazinger franchise) is a super heavy hitter by the end of the game.

Don't worry about units getting "upgraded" to new robots, because in such cases your investment carries over to the new unit (non spoiler example: Shin getter gets all the upgrades from Black Getter).

In the entire game there is only ONE robot that gets destroyed for ever, but you get your money back if you invested in it so you can just upgrade a different robot to the same point.

As a tip, try to keep all protagonists moderatedly leveled up, tho i basically got around without ever investing in
Akito

Also of note: when a route split happens, the guys from the route you didn't pick get a boost in level to more or less keep up with your main guys, so that helps keep yourself from getting important units too underleveled.

Bebpo

Banned
I always spend my money maxing the protag unit from each major series. Usually ends up being about 20-30 units and that's my team.

It's a bit plain, one of these days I should max a secondary support character and use it as a major unit.

massoluk

Banned
Letting characters use spirit after move throws the whole difficulty out of whack. Then you have the EX action that easily negate enemy defense, letting the ships transfer EX point, and ungodly amount of broken individual skills like Ruri debuffing entire army.

This is the easiest SRW yet alright

Bebpo

Banned
Yep. Totally broken because there's zero risk on the defense side. You can hirameki/miracle every individual incoming attack and they even let other people cast it on you as well.

I like my SRW fairly easy vs frustrating save/reload SR points, but obviously there's something in the middle. I definitely think seishin/spirit post-turn needs to go.

Regarding difficulty.. I'm not that far yet, but so far the bosses' weapons are so few and rather weak. Most of them even have only like 3 weapons/moves. Also, I don't remember that you can see enemy info even before engaging them. There's a scan spirit skill for that in previous games.

Bebpo

Banned
Bosses are all weak in V. I can't think of almost any outside the last two stages that are 400k HP regen tanks like a lot of the series bosses in SRW. Although the FMP novel antagonist is a little challenging in this just like in Z3 since they have insane armor so you do like 200 damage without spirits.

On one hand, V has a ton of secrets which is great. On the other hand, yeah they didn't want to put a lot of assets into stuff people might not see so they're all very minor units/attacks.

Yeah, when I got Full Armor ZZ and it only had one extra attack, and not even a great one, I was kind of surprised. I mean I shouldn't been, but I figured of any "secret unit" they might have thrown a little more effort into this one.

Yep. Totally broken because there's zero risk on the defense side. You can hirameki/miracle every individual incoming attack and they even let other people cast it on you as well.

I like my SRW fairly easy vs frustrating save/reload SR points, but obviously there's something in the middle. I definitely think seishin/spirit post-turn needs to go.

Agreed, I don't need them super hard, but spirit post-turn make the game brain dead for me. I've been outright reckless with units and have maybe had 2 units die my whole playthrough.

manfestival

I find myself playing this game a ton. It is ridiculously easy on easy but I am loving the experience. The story seemed kinda dumb at first but I am on like chapter 17 in cross ange and I am all in now. Suddenly the struggle is real of trying to decide who I want to deploy on my team. I want like almost everyone!

Bebpo

Banned
I find myself playing this game a ton. It is ridiculously easy on easy but I am loving the experience. The story seemed kinda dumb at first but I am on like chapter 17 in cross ange and I am all in now. Suddenly the struggle is real of trying to decide who I want to deploy on my team. I want like almost everyone!

Yep, that SRW addiction :)

If by Asia version you mean the SEA version, then everything is in English.

Actually, an "Asia" version doesn't exist since there are also traditional Chinese and Korean versions.

Yea I have no idea lol. I'm looking at it on Play-Asia since a friend referred me to the site, and one of the version has (English Subs) (Asia)

Gunkankun

With play asia running a sale on this and sd gundam, which is better for someone new to the series, likes srpgs and flashy special moves?

manfestival

so I think I am on mission 27. I can fully say that I am hooked. What is even more shocking to me is how long this game freaking is. I see that I am about half way through the game. The amount of content and how fun the game is. It is just surprising. 60 dollars well spent I say. Especially compared to how much I am getting out of this. The translations are top notch.Just overall surprised at how many new things the game constantly is throwing out there. I dont have experience with previous SRW games but this feels like the game that keeps on giving with its new introductions lol

Bebpo

Banned
so I think I am on mission 27. I can fully say that I am hooked. What is even more shocking to me is how long this game freaking is. I see that I am about half way through the game. The amount of content and how fun the game is. It is just surprising. 60 dollars well spent I say. Especially compared to how much I am getting out of this. The translations are top notch.Just overall surprised at how many new things the game constantly is throwing out there. I dont have experience with previous SRW games but this feels like the game that keeps on giving with its new introductions lol

SRW games are super long. I always do full scenario runs where every branch I create two (or three) saves and go through each branch to see what happens in each side before continuing with the united branch and the games probably take me about 80-120 hours each.

Sometimes it's too long as in the case of Alpha 3 and Z3 where there's a lot of bloat and fighting the same grunts over and over and over again and it's easy to get burnt out.

Other games like V or Moon Dwellers move at a pretty brisk pace so it's a lot of fun throughout.

Also fyi, the new toy fun-factor is always first-half frontloaded in SRW. You usually spend the first 25 maps getting all the characters/units, and then the second half you'll get upgrades or new moves or support units sporadically. The better the SRW, the more stuff you get in the 2nd half imo since it keeps it exciting :) The reason the split games kinda suck is because you don't get those upgrades in the 2nd half since they save them for the 2nd game.

killatopak

Gold Member
I just bought the game and it came with the day one dlc codes. The problem is it can't recognize the code. Either the code is used or something fucked up with the region coding. Tried it in my HK r3 and NA account. The code says you specifically have to live in singapore, malay, tha, indo for the code to work. Do I have to make another R3 account with those addresses?

Anybody who here who bought the asian version?

I just bought the game and it came with the day one dlc codes. The problem is it can't recognize the code. Either the code is used or something fucked up with the region coding. Tried it in my HK r3 and NA account. The code says you specifically have to live in singapore, malay, tha, indo for the code to work. Do I have to make another R3 account with those addresses?

Anybody who here who bought the asian version?

I actually just ordered it myself. If it comes with the codes I will give it a shot. You might need to go grab an address in that area. You should be able to edit this in your profile for your HK account.

Someone else here may be better versed to answer this though.

Andrew J.

Yeah. Learned that the hard way myself.

NandoGip

Wanna cop OG and V. Need help with a digital download

As far as Im aware:

1) Make Singapore PSN ID
-Question: What do I put in for the address when it asks?

2) Buy PSN SGD card

3) Buy game?

Is it that simple?

OVDRobo

Wanna cop OG and V. Need help with a digital download

As far as Im aware:

1) Make Singapore PSN ID
-Question: What do I put in for the address when it asks?

2) Buy PSN SGD card

3) Buy game?

Is it that simple?

Yeah. It's that simple. Just use google maps and find some random address in the appropriate regions of Asia. Doing it through the webstore even lets you copy+paste.

Remember to set your PS4 as the primary on the Asian PSN account as well so any content you buy is usable on your main account if you decide to use it.

NandoGip

Thanks guys. I'm so fucking excited.

I've beaten OG1/2, and the three fan translated games.

I've seriously been waiting for the day to play modern mainline SRW games for over 10 years.

Should I read summaries for the in between games of OG1/2 and Moon Dwellers?

No, you only need to read up on the OG games if you are playing another OG game honestly. Otherwise SRW games are very independent of each other unless they are part of a series like Alpha for Z.

killatopak

Gold Member
So I made the new account and activated the day one code on the SGD account. I'm playing the game on my NA account and the extra characters and stages are not showing?

OVDRobo

So I made the new account and activated the day one code on the SGD account. I'm playing the game on my NA account and the extra characters and stages are not showing?

Did you activate the PS4 you're on as the primary system associated with the SGD account when logged in to the SGD account? Doing that will give every account on the system access to the DLC. I can confirm from experience.

Also make sure that the DLC is downloaded and be aware that characters like Lottie and Velt show up in forced 'Special Scenarios'. Those two in particular you'll get after you complete mission 2 in special scenario 'Trial by Fire'

killatopak

Gold Member
Did you activate the PS4 you're on as the primary system associated with the SGD account when logged in to the SGD account? Doing that will give every account on the system access to the DLC. I can confirm from experience.

Also make sure that the DLC is downloaded and be aware that characters like Lottie and Velt show up in forced 'Special Scenarios'. Those two in particular you'll get after you complete mission 2 in special scenario 'Trial by Fire'

Yeah, I did that. Does the SGD account need to be logged in every time I play? I don't know if the the day one dlc needs to be downloaded but it showed in the purchases on the ps4 library.

killatopak

Gold Member
Yeah, just download the DLC and it'll work on your NA account.

It worked! lol

I had to find the dlc themselves and download them manually. I was so used to the system downloading stuff by themselves that it never occurred to me that I have to do it on my own.

Thanks!

killatopak

Gold Member
Having PP shared across the board kinda makes fielding every unit moot now.

Yamato is also OP then we get to the Mightgaine part and it's nowhere to be found. It hurts because I 50% upgraded it.

NandoGip

Loving Moon Dwellers. Love the complexity of the story especially since I've only played the GBA OG games. I really appreciated the game summaries, plus the character/mech summaries that you have access to during the interlude.

Also the twin system is so fucking great. It not only allows you to access the thousand mechs you get access to, but it also adds layers to the combat.

I'm really digging this game so far. Will probably replay it to access the other routes too.

Anyone know how MD compares to V? Gameplay wise

Tsukumo

Loving Moon Dwellers. Love the complexity of the story especially since I've only played the GBA OG games. I really appreciated the game summaries, plus the character/mech summaries that you have access to during the interlude.

Also the twin system is so fucking great. It not only allows you to access the thousand mechs you get access to, but it also adds layers to the combat.

I'm really digging this game so far. Will probably replay it to access the other routes too.

It's definitely tougher and because of its toughness less flexible in terms of strategy.
V you can pretty much complete with any roster from any show, while in MD you usually need to deploy the same powerful units and characters with very specific skills.
Overall difficulty in MD is also increased by the Supa Robo points, which thin the amount of possible resolution strategies even more.

Tanis

How good is the translation for the English in Moon Dwellers?

NandoGip

It's definitely tougher and because of its toughness less flexible in terms of strategy.
V you can pretty much complete with any roster from any show, while in MD you usually need to deploy the same powerful units and characters with very specific skills.
Overall difficulty in MD is also increased by the Supa Robo points, which thin the amount of possible resolution strategies even more.

I'm only about 10-11 stages in, but so far MD has been pretty easy so I'm glad to hear that it will become tougher as it goes on. I'm hoping it doesn't suffer from the same problem the old games had which is enemies becoming boring damage sponges, but I'm also building my characters to mitigate that

How good is the translation for the English in Moon Dwellers?

I think it's solid. Not perfect, but you have to be a little lenient. Typos are minimal but they're there. In the context of a low budget translation, it's great.

Things I've noticed: Some names are different than the official english translations, few typos, a weird phrase here and there, but ultimately the convoluted story still makes sense, which is a testament to the translation. I expected google translate, which this is not.

Tanis

There's a handful of rough spots, but generally flows nicely enough.

Things I've noticed: Some names are different than the official english translations, few typos, a weird phrase here and there, but ultimately the convoluted story still makes sense, which is a testament to the translation. I expected google translate, which this is not.

Thanks guys. I was under the impression it was a plain machine translation so this sounds much better. I'll be picking up Moon Dwellers and V as soon as I'm done with Final Fantasy 12.

Thinking of buying this, how good is it? I beat Z-3 with a guide open, so I'm pretty excited to play one that's officially in english.

What's the best site to buy it from? I was considering play-asia, I've used them before.

killatopak

Gold Member
Thinking of buying this, how good is it? I beat Z-3 with a guide open, so I'm pretty excited to play one that's officially in english.

What's the best site to buy it from? I was considering play-asia, I've used them before.

Very good. I actually enjoy it more and I've played quite a lot of the recent SRWs. Story is much tighter since I don't think there will be a part 2. I'm only at stage 29 at the moment and I like how easier it is than most SRWs. You can still make it harder by restricting yourself but the skill currency being shared across all characters makes it easier to just use all the op characters all the time. As for myself, I made the game a bit harder by using all characters in a rotating fashion.

Also ships are OP especially Yamato. I'm really glad that they made an english SRW and I definitely enjoy the way characters interact with each other. It just made some of the characters weakest traits more tolerable or even deviate their personality into something better like Shinji having friends, mentors and support from the group makes him less whiny and learned to stand up for himself.

killatopak

Gold Member
Anybody got tips on stage 35? I have a hard time getting the SR point here. Are there any good strategy aside from using every main characters? I prefer to use the grunt mechs along with a few main characters.

What happens is I get to kill every mech on the north and east side and all of the grunts on the west side but I always have a hard time destroying the rest of the named para-mails.

Edit: Managed to finish this a while ago by putting the mechs into the ships before using accel to shorten the distance to the enemy. I guess the problem with my setup was that I had too many low move mechs.

Top Bottom