• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

kuYuri

Looking to get a 1080ti

Is the asus strog worth the 100 bucks more than their turbo gaming edition?

What about the gigabyte aorus? I feel id rather save the 100 bucks and get an extra hard drive or mouse or something

Aorus is definitely worth getting over the Strix since it's a bit cheaper and performs on par with the Strix. I would not go for the Turbo unless it's a mini-ITX build.

Bought all my parts.

Parts and price for each after tax/shipping/rebate:

MB: MSI B350M Gaming Pro mATX; (Open Box, all parts included) - $15
CPU: Ryzen 1700 - $324
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3000 MHz DDR4 - $90
GPU: Gigabyte 960 OC 4GB; (reused from old build) - $0
Case: ThermalTake Core V21 - $35
PSU: SeaSonic M12ii 620w fully modular - $40
SSD: Kingston SSDNow 240 GB; (reused from old build) - $0
HDD1: WD Blue 500 GB; (reused from old build) - $0
HDD2: WD Green 2.5 TB; (refurbished) - $55
Fan Splitter: Evercool 5-way - $9
Thermal Paste: Arctic MX4 - $9

Grand total is $597. However, I sold my old PSU for $18 profit and I am very confident I can sell my DDR3 sticks, i5-2500k, case, and p67 motherboard for at least another $100. I'll be pretty psyched to get this all together for a total cost of under $500. I'll grab a new GPU and 1440p monitor sometime down the road, once GPU prices stop being absolutely stupid.

Looking forward to some bad ass rendering with this thing. Happy it stayed under my $600 budget.

Urthor

Currently running an I7-2600, with 1600mhz ram and a GTX 970 with a Z-68 motherboard from what, 7 or 8 years and umpteenth hardware cycles ago?

Am I actually going to see actual real world gains by doing a full CPU/Mobo upgrade in the near future, or even 6 years later is slotting a new GTX 1080 straight into my coming on 8 year old PCIE 2.0 slot with 32nm Sandy Bridge CPU going to be the most cost effective way to get real world gains while gaming?

Considering a GPU upgrade in the next 12 months depending on the next cycle of AAA releases that might finally make the 970 cry uncle, especially at 1440p. Already struggles quite a bit with the most demanding titles.

Any UK Gaffers ever use Aria PC before? Just been on PCpartpicker and they came out on top as the cheapest for the components I threw together.

If anyone would have a look at this and see if it makes sense, I would be grateful.
It would be used mostly for gaming (4k in the future).

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Jkdqf8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Jkdqf8/by_merchant/

CPU: *Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor (£209.95 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£186.84 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£123.60 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£114.00 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.95 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£77.40 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£90.78 @ Aria PC)
Total: £842.52 (this seems impossible compared to the prices from other sites)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-26 02:22 BST+0100

Currently running an I7-2600, with 1600mhz ram and a GTX 970 with a Z-68 motherboard from what, 7 or 8 years and umpteenth hardware cycles ago?

Am I actually going to see actual real world gains by doing a full CPU/Mobo upgrade in the near future, or even 6 years later is slotting a new GTX 1080 straight into my coming on 8 year old PCIE 2.0 slot with 32nm Sandy Bridge CPU going to be the most cost effective way to get real world gains while gaming?

Considering a GPU upgrade in the next 12 months depending on the next cycle of AAA releases that might finally make the 970 cry uncle, especially at 1440p. Already struggles quite a bit with the most demanding titles.

Depends on games. I had a 2600k with a 1080 Hybrid not long ago and switching to a 7700k (with same GPU) made a big difference in Watch Dogs 2, for example. As we know some games demand more CPU.

For 1440p and most games though just getting a 1080 would be a big improvement.

plushyp

For reference my original post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241734849&postcount=5287

Thanks for the recommendation guys. I just have a few questions:

1) Which SSD should I go for? The Samsung 960 M2 512GB is around the same price as a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB.

2) I'm looking at 1440p G-sync monitors and the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q seems to be one of the best. But its nearly 2 years old now and doesn't have any HDR support. Any chance of it receiving a refresh like the new 4K addition by Asus any time soon?

3) Which motherboard is the best choice for i7700k if I don't want to overclock and stick to air cooling? Don't need any good looks but need a solid and useful feature filled one.

4) 32GB RAM is overkill, right? Would anyone recommend Kingston for RAM/storage?

5) CPU cooler suggestions? Kind of lost on this one.

Thanks.

LilJoka

Any UK Gaffers ever use Aria PC before? Just been on PCpartpicker and they came out on top as the cheapest for the components I threw together.

If anyone would have a look at this and see if it makes sense, I would be grateful.
It would be used mostly for gaming (4k in the future).

I used Aria PC, albeit a long time ago.

thenexus6

So I am looking to upgrade my graphics card. My girlfriend is getting a PC which I am going to build her - I currently have a GTX 950 and she is going to have it. So I need a new card for myself.

I am currently stuck with what to purchase.. I think its between the 1050ti or RX4/570.

I currently use a i3 6100 and have been pretty happy with my 950 performance. I would like to play games like Horizon 3, Gears 4 and some upcoming games later down the line which I can't comfortably at the moment.

The 1050ti ranges between £120-160. I like them because they seem compact, energy efficient, cool, quiet etc. However I am not sure i'll see a big enough boost in performance. Looking at online videos it seems the 1050ti can pull out 1080 60fps on games like Gears 4 which is good for now but what about later down the line?

Because of all the miners the RX cards are pretty expensive now but a few cards still lurk around the £180 range. I know the performance boost will be pretty significant compared to the 950 and 1050ti, but power consumption and heat may be an issue.

Ideally this card should last be another couple of years so maybe just spending the extra is the best idea.

Also rocking 1080p screen and that isn't changing anytime soon. I guess with the AMD card I have the cheaper freesync option later

kmfdmpig

RAM installation question:
I know that when going from two sticks to four it's important to get matching RAM (same brand, type, speed). Is there anything else I should know or is it just turn off system, pop the new RAM in and turn on again?
Do I turn off XMP prior to installing the new RAM or just leave everything as is?

Anyone here have experience using the Evercool 5-fan PWM Splitter?

Trying to wrap my head around it, but it seems like I plug the molex plug into my PSU, then plug the 4-pin (female) into my CPU 4-pin header on my mobo, and then plug my CPU cooler 4-pin (male) into the Evercool's single 4-pin (female). This serves as the master fan by which all the remaining fans (which plug in their 3-pin (female) into the Evercool's four 3-pin (male) headers) will imitate in terms of RPM.

Does that sound correct?

kuYuri

So I am looking to upgrade my graphics card. My girlfriend is getting a PC which I am going to build her - I currently have a GTX 950 and she is going to have it. So I need a new card for myself.

I am currently stuck with what to purchase.. I think its between the 1050ti or RX4/570.

I currently use a i3 6100 and have been pretty happy with my 950 performance. I would like to play games like Horizon 3, Gears 4 and some upcoming games later down the line which I can't comfortably at the moment.

The 1050ti ranges between £120-160. I like them because they seem compact, energy efficient, cool, quiet etc. However I am not sure i'll see a big enough boost in performance. Looking at online videos it seems the 1050ti can pull out 1080 60fps on games like Gears 4 which is good for now but what about later down the line?

Because of all the miners the RX cards are pretty expensive now but a few cards still lurk around the £180 range. I know the performance boost will be pretty significant compared to the 950 and 1050ti, but power consumption and heat may be an issue.

Ideally this card should last be another couple of years so maybe just spending the extra is the best idea.

Also rocking 1080p screen and that isn't changing anytime soon. I guess with the AMD card I have the cheaper freesync option later

1050 Ti will be a minor upgrade, RX 470/570 would be a step up but are almost impossible to find.

If you can get a used 970, that would be an upgrade and not to expensive since it's secondhand.

Hey guys, I need a little bit of advice. I'm still rocking a 760 GTX and I'm planning on upgrading by the end of the year.

My question is whether I should expect a new series of cards to drop this year for Nvidia? I know that the Volta series is planned on coming out in 2018, and that the new 500 series for AMD was just a revamp of the 400 series so maybe Nvidia will do something similar? Currently looking at the 1070 GTX since I'd like something that'll last at least 2-3 years.

I'll be gaming on 1080p and I have no qualms with reducing settings a tad if it means I can maintain 60 fps. Also would like to keep it below 400$.

Hey guys, I need a little bit of advice. I'm still rocking a 760 GTX and I'm planning on upgrading by the end of the year.

My question is whether I should expect a new series of cards to drop this year for Nvidia? I know that the Volta series is planned on coming out in 2018, and that the new 500 series for AMD was just a revamp of the 400 series so maybe Nvidia will do something similar? Currently looking at the 1070 GTX since I'd like something that'll last at least 2-3 years.

I'll be gaming on 1080p and I have no qualms with reducing settings a tad if it means I can maintain 60 fps. Also would like to keep it below 400$.

The problem right now is, all mid-range and some mid/upper-range cards are seeing huge price hikes due to their use by coin miners. As of about the last 1-2 weeks, even the GTX 1070 is getting a price hike and is going out of stock rapidly. It's not worth buying it right now unless you literally have no other alternatives, IMO.

We have no idea when the mining craze will slow down. So, in the meantime, my advice is to not make any purchases for a bit until card prices return to normal. However, yeah, I'd say the 1070 would be a good purchase for you if it weren't going for $50-$100 above MSRP right now... which means, basically, wait a while until it drops, by which point it's possible the next line of GPUs will be out anyway and you can buy an 1170 (or whatever name it'd be) or AMD equivalent.

The problem right now is, all mid-range and some mid/upper-range cards are seeing huge price hikes due to their use by coin miners. As of about the last 1-2 weeks, even the GTX 1070 is getting a price hike and is going out of stock rapidly. It's not worth buying it right now unless you literally have no other alternatives, IMO.

We have no idea when the mining craze will slow down. So, in the meantime, my advice is to now make any purchases for a bit until card prices return to normal. However, yeah, I'd say the 1070 would be a good purchase for you if it weren't going for $50-$100 above MSRP right now... which means, basically, wait a while until it drops, by which point it's possible the next line of GPUs will be out anyway and you can buy an 1170 (or whatever name it'd be) or AMD equivalent.
Cool. As I said, I'm pretty much upgrading by the end of the year but I'd like to plan ahead as I live in Pakistan and I'll have to tell my family abroad of the stuff beforehand as they'll be bringing it to me.

Thanks for the advice!

Buggy Loop

Can anyone explain to me this mining craze ?

You invest a lot of $$$ for a GPU, with a specific hash rate.

Considering the initial investment, the cost of electricity and the hashrate, isn't the return on investment like in a long long time? How much can a single GPU generate per month on Ethereum ? ~70$ a month? And that is hoping that the stock of Ethereum does not drop like a brick?

Is it me or it's one of the most ridiculous money craze ?

Can anyone explain to me this mining craze ?

You invest a lot of $$$ for a GPU, with a specific hash rate.

Considering the initial investment, the cost of electricity and the hashrate, isn't the return on investment like in a long long time? How much can a single GPU generate per month on Ethereum ? ~70$ a month? And that is hoping that the stock of Ethereum does not drop like a brick?

Is it me or it's one of the most ridiculous money craze ?

Let's say you make $70 in a month. You've now broken even, because you can re-sell your used GPU for probably $50-$70 less than the cost you spent on it. You'll re-sell it once the price of coins crashes or mining becomes not very profitable. After that point you're money ahead.

So yeah, you invest about a month of time and $300-$400 up front, break even in a month, then are profitable from there on out. Something like that.

Bread

Banned
Anyone have any tips for selling my GPU on ebay? I know it's risky since buyers seem to be given the benefit of the doubt on disputes, do I just get signature confirmation and hope for the best?

LQX

Anyone have any tips for selling my GPU on ebay? I know it's risky since buyers seem to be given the benefit of the doubt on disputes, do I just get signature confirmation and hope for the best?

First try the sales thread on GAF and price it under EBay.

hitgirl

I'm asking here again since I didn't get much help last time.

I am looking for the ultimate 1080p experience, where I preferably can run all games on high settings at 60fps as the minimum. Budget isn't of a concern.

And if you happen to live in Denmark, what sites do you recommend checking out?

I'm still doing 1080p until variable refresh rate TVs come out. I have a GTX 1070 Strix for my recent build, it's great for 1080p though there was one area in the Witcher 3 where I had to bump down shadows a notch because I was getting framerate drops. If budget isn't a concern I'd step up to a 1080 so you could definitely downsample everything and have some headroom.

Only accept PayPal.
Only ship to the confirmed address on their PayPal account.
Only ship within the USA (mark the box to dis-allow international buyers).
Take lots of pictures. Take a video/picture of the card running on your PC.
Describe the card thoroughly and accurately in the description.

Bread

Banned
Only accept PayPal.
Only ship to the confirmed address on their PayPal account.
Only ship within the USA (mark the box to dis-allow international buyers).
Take lots of pictures. Take a video/picture of the card running on your PC.
Describe the card thoroughly and accurately in the description.
This is great, thank you!

Bread

Banned
No problem. I've sold hundreds of items on eBay included some computer parts and haven't had any issues (yet).
So I definitely did not check off the "Sell to international buyers" area yet I've received a couple bids from people whose profiles say they are located in Russia and Georgia...how do I deal with this if they win the auction?

Lunar FC

Anybody here using a NZXT S340 Elite with a Kraken cpu cooler? Really like the design and ergonomics of this case but heard the cooling isn't the greatest so was hoping to get some impressions.

Thanks.

kmfdmpig

Anybody here using a NZXT S340 Elite with a Kraken cpu cooler? Really like the design and ergonomics of this case but heard the cooling isn't the greatest so was hoping to get some impressions.

Thanks.

I have that case with a Corsair h100 cooler and just stock fans (for now at least).

I haven't stress tested it, but it's been fine with gaming and doesn't really get past ~42-45 degrees on stock speeds for a 7700k.

Bloodember

So I definitely did not check off the "Sell to international buyers" area yet I've received a couple bids from people whose profiles say they are located in Russia and Georgia...how do I deal with this if they win the auction?

If you had checked "Sell internationally with the Global Shipping Program. Just send it to the US shipping center when your item sells." Then you will just send it to eBay and they will take care of it, this is the only way I ship internationally on ebay, less hassle for me.

If you had checked "Sell internationally with the Global Shipping Program. Just send it to the US shipping center when your item sells." Then you will just send it to eBay and they will take care of it, this is the only way I ship internationally on ebay, less hassle for me.

Yeah, I think you need to uncheck the "sell to international buyers" box as it is checked by default. Personally, I'd cancel the auction and re-list it with the correct settings to avoid this, but Bloodember is correct that you can use the GSP program most likely to ship to eBay and they'll ship it from there. I've never used that though so I can't speak about how it works.

Bread

Banned

Yeah, I think you need to uncheck the "sell to international buyers" box as it is checked by default. Personally, I'd cancel the auction and re-list it with the correct settings to avoid this, but Bloodember is correct that you can use the GSP program most likely to ship to eBay and they'll ship it from there. I've never used that though so I can't speak about how it works.
My listing only says "ships to: United States" so i think i'm alright

I'm too shook to ever use eBay. GL friend!
pray for me friend, i'm about to reach smokey levels with the 1080 if this all works out!

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Build question. My new case is a Corsair 450D. The standoffs are built-in into the case, and the middle has the guiding pin for the motherboard. No problems putting it in. But there is a single standoff in the box. Is this an extra or do I need to put it in? There is a hole in the middleish of the case where it fits, but the manual doesn't say what to do with it.

Cyanity

Banned
Hi friends, I could use a little feedback on a build I'm working on for my brother. We have an i5-6500 lying around that hasn't been used yet, so I thought I'd base his build around that CPU. I'm gonna pair it with an ASUS H170 mobo and a gtx 1060. Is this still a viable build? Or is the i5-6500 old hat at this point?

R aka Bon

I appreciate all the help. Has been very helpful. ps: How can one know when the prices are adequate, because some posters above keep mentioning something about high prices, due to something I have trouble understanding...

I'm still doing 1080p until variable refresh rate TVs come out. I have a GTX 1070 Strix for my recent build, it's great for 1080p though there was one area in the Witcher 3 where I had to bump down shadows a notch because I was getting framerate drops. If budget isn't a concern I'd step up to a 1080 so you could definitely downsample everything and have some headroom.

I will definitely consider a GTX 1080 but from my research a 1070 should be just enough, My monitor does support high refresh rates, and a GTX 1080 makes sense for future proofing. I won't be buying now anyway, somewhere in the fall, so will make sure I decide what's best for my situation.

Mozendo

Hi friends, I could use a little feedback on a build I'm working on for my brother. We have an i5-6500 lying around that hasn't been used yet, so I thought I'd base his build around that CPU. I'm gonna pair it with an ASUS H170 mobo and a gtx 1060. Is this still a viable build? Or is the i5-6500 old hat at this point?

6500 is fine the difference in Kaby Lake and Skylake counterparts are negligible for you to buy a new CPU. Also not sure if you know but it doesn't specifically need to be a H170, you can also use B250s and H270s, and if you can find them cheaper Z170 and Z170s.

But a 6500 with a 1060 (6GB preferred) is still great for 1080p.

Also got a question, is it possible to dual boot W10 and W7 if I installed 7 first?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
How often do amazon get stock in? Seems like a solid month since ive seen 1060's or rx570's

kmfdmpig

I appreciate all the help. Has been very helpful. ps: How can one know when the prices are adequate, because some posters above keep mentioning something about high prices, due to something I have trouble understanding...

I will definitely consider a GTX 1080 but from my research a 1070 should be just enough, My monitor does support high refresh rates, and a GTX 1080 makes sense for future proofing. I won't be buying now anyway, somewhere in the fall, so will make sure I decide what's best for my situation.

The prices for video cards right now are inflated as people are using them to "mine' e-currency. This hit AMD cards hard (570/580), but prices for 1060/1070 have also increased. Not only have prices gone up, but demand has soared, so it's hard to find cards in stock.

If you can wait a few weeks things are likely to stabilize.

In terms of motherboards you can look at the best prices for that socket by going here:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#s=30

Basically look at price, reviews and what features it has (USB-C or not, RGB if you care, how many USB ports, etc.. and then make an informed decision.

JWiLL

Banned

Thanks.

The case design overall is fairly similar to the standard S340 right?

I have one of those with a Cryorig H7 and a 140mm Corsair for intake at the front, same 140 at the top for exhaust and a 120mm at the back for exhaust and my 4.5 OC 6700k never hits higher than 71 degrees even under full load.

Playing ME: Andromeda for example with an unlocked framerate @ ultra settings hits 71 degrees on my CPU and 73 on my GPU (1080). 100% load on both.

Best advice with s340 is to run front intake and top/back exhaust from every suggestion I've seen online. You'd be fine considering your cooler is certainly better than my air Cryorig.

Bread

Banned
welp the highest bid on my 480 was to someone from russia using a freight forwarding address in Delaware.

Fuck that! I'm not sending them shit.

The Game

Primary use gaming on 55" KS8000

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($228.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 GAMING iCX Video Card ($779.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2162.92

Pretty much settled on this, the only things I am debating is the case, read it has bad airflow and motherboard I am unsure is IX hero that much better then Strix or MSI gaming M7 which are 40$ cheaper.

Is there anything I can do better?

Carm

I have a question about the coolermaster hyper 212 evo. How tight should I be screwing in the mounting bracket that goes on the back of the board? I'm concerned about going to tight but using the included tool with screwdriver. The mounting screws for the crossbar are still turning when tightening from the back.

Hrm, put on the crossbar without he and bottomed out the screws like I see youtube installs say to do. Now unscrewing is moving the mounting nut that the cross bar goes into =x

Retightened and put the heatsink on, hopefully everything is fine.

Still getting weird noises from my new machine. One's like a mechanical 'beep' (not a note/tone) that happens sporadically, maybe every hour or so?

It sounds like a hard drive noise, but a) the HDD is brand new and b) It's practically unused (all files + OS are on SSD). What could be the culprit? I can hardly sit with my ear to the case waiting for a noise that occurs at random.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Well because you already got the motherboard, it is a little late now, but a Ryzen 5 series would have been much better. If you want a cheap CPU, there is the Pentium G4560, alternatively you can get the the 7500 or 7600 I5 (newer processor to what you listed, the 7600 is $20 extra on Newegg).

Only issue could be the motherboard might need a bios update for these newer processors. How long ago did you get the motherboard and does it by any chance mention what bios it comes with? Looking at bios history, I think the 7.1 bios released last October updated CPU support.

Also, you really should be getting a SSD, it makes one of the biggest upgrades for doing anything on a computer and especially gaming. A mechanical hard drive results in exceedingly long load times in some games (think console load times) and often micro stuttering. Marvel Heroes for instance plays horribly off a hard drive when I moved it over to save on disc space on my SSD.
Sorry for the late reply but it's this
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157679
I bought it literally a little over a year ago

Top Bottom