• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Has Some Kind of Cryptic ARG Happening Right Now

Subjective. I still think it sucks. So do most.

Updates to a shitty game I bought under a bunch of lies. Peachy.

Why bother posting in this thread?

The amount of people who come into these threads just to shit on a game they haven't played in almost a year is incomprehensible. Your stance is well know.

Raven117

Gold Member
Man, I've say time and time again that I should really come back to the game, but I would like to start over from the beginning and that kinda dampen my enthusiasm.

Also, they haven't modified the amount of fuel you need to take off, right? 25% was too much per launch :/

Stuff breaking was too much...

I was perfectly fine just crusin around the universe, but the game actively tried to stop you ALL THE TIME.

That's when I realized I wasn't having fun.

But...with enough updates....I may be back. Good for them for continuing to keep working.

Assuming it's portals...

To where?

Just other planets?

I hope there is more to it than just teleportation on the same world or to another world.

To be honest, the galaxy is kinda boring.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I wouldn't, still runs like garbage here and I have a 1080Ti and 6700k over 4.5ghz. Screen tearing just kills it.

Hmm i think you have something configured wrong then. I get constant 60 fps with v-sync on a 980ti and 6700k. There is one setting though that kills performance and it isnt an obvious one. I remember it running like crap and then i found the right config.

Prurient

Banned
Sounds intriguing, think I'll reinstall. The base game was definitely a huge disappointment to me overall, but there was still enough there that I sunk about 40 hours into it. If this is substantial enough then I'll jump back in.

It's a dream on the Pro. I'd recommend.

That's my main version at the moment.

Hmm i think you have something configured wrong then. I get constant 60 fps with v-sync on a 980ti and 6700k. There is one setting though that kills performance and it isnt an obvious one. I remember it running like crap and then i found the right config.

I tried a lot of things, even disabling some .ini stuff. I gave up but I can assure you that it wasn't for lack of trying.

Nydius

Assuming it's portals...

To where?

Just other planets?

I hope there is more to it than just teleportation on the same world or to another world.

To be honest, the galaxy is kinda boring.

Yep, this is still my biggest issue with the game. I'm glad they've taken the time to add some major QoL stuff, base building/sharing, ships, ground vehicles, the ability to portal back to a base, and so on. However, the entire core gameplay is still go gather X, build Y, repeat a bunch of times, warp somewhere else, see similar terrain, gather X, build Y...

paulogy

1280x720-9un.jpg
?

I'll gladly come back to the game if they fix the screen tearing on PC. I've tried the in-game Vsync, Driver Vsync, and Freesync with frame limiting so it doesn't go over the max... and the game just tears constantly anyway...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
This much effort, myltiplayer might be coming. Feels like a "relaunch".

Edit: or VR!

VR is a possibility but I think once they are done with their big patches, there will be a relaunch since the last one will reset the universe. I think they'd send out a PR statement prior that happening.

Speaking of updates. what does 1.24 do? Its 3.9 gigs and I thought I was up to date on all the NMS updates Its currently downloading now.

Harlock

You know, the base building is very cool, but I like more that you go anywhere without nothing but your spaceship to care. I hope the new content is more toward this way.

Pepboy

This statement would hold more weight if they hadn't put out a couple of hefty patches already and look to be priming up another one.

Hefty patches following bald-face lies... yeah I think his statement still holds plenty of weight.

That being said, 16 cassette tapes that require people to connect to hear the whole thing, sounds very likely they are going to announce multiplayer for up to 16 people. Like you can go around the galaxy with a few friends. But possibly the changes only get saved to the leaders account or something.

Someone on reddit aligned and layered all the tracks received so far and...

There are definitely different frequencies on each track, and I for real hear someone talking. I imagine things will get more interesting once we have around 6 tapes to layer. Also, if you match them up, and make the total length around 5 minutes long, half way through you can hear clear as day a mining beam...

t hicks

Banned
? It looks amazing. Are you referring to how it made the UI look because that was fixed.
Last time I played (which was probably a couple of months ago) it just looked really washed out and unpleasant idk... I'll reinstall it tonight and give it another shot though

Always loved No Mans Sky, even from day 1 i got 30+ hrs out of it, all the patches have dramatically improved the game (even if some of it is nothing i want like base building).

Look forward to seeing what the next update brings, portals would be good but again pointless if there is nothing interesting to discover on these planets.

I want crashed massive frigates that have 1000s of resources, the resource grind is so slow, need more interesting ways to find resources.

Also need something other then sentinels for ground combat, or just a lot of more interesting things to find on planets.

Still love the tech/ideas , just needs more content and tweaks

I would be down to jump back into NMS, I'm going back and replaying some older stuff right now and it's pretty comfy after the rush at the beginning of the year.

OuterLimits

The last update gave more weapon choices to both your ship and multitool. The problem is that the game needs some more hostile enemies to use them on.

I'm hopeful a future update brings a real threat into the Galaxy. Perhaps a new alien species or something.

Both updates have greatly improved the game. Excited to see what the game will be like after all updates are finished.

Since Sean was inspired by the original Elite and those vintage computers often had a tape drive for loading apps, I'm wondering if the tapes' audio could contain data for a program.

OuterLimits

it definitely seems that Hello Games is trying to get the game closer to what they wanted and hoped it to be. Base building/freighters and such are certainly nice additions in the updates so far, but an even bigger deal to me was the reducing the density of buildings on planets(some planets don't even have certain structures) and making blueprints harder to get which makes the game more balanced.

I doubt it will ever truly achieve what they envisioned it to be, but perhaps they get damn close. It was a mess at release. Glad they have stuck with it. They could have easily closed up shop and moved on after the release debacle.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
It's cool and all, but they'll probably just add more stuff that don't actually fix the underlying problems with the game, but give the "what do you do" folks things like bases and rovers.

eXistor

It's cool and all, but they'll probably just add more stuff that don't actually fix the underlying problems with the game, but give the "what do you do" folks things like bases and rovers.
Exactly how I feel. You can dress up a turd all you want; underneath it's still a turd.

Chev

Exactly how I feel. You can dress up a turd all you want; underneath it's still a turd.
The base game never was a turd though. Some people are just unhappy because they had crazy expectations and got a normal game instead. Those of us who enjoy chilling in fantasy space have been having a fine time.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
I loved NMS and I love this ARG. Definitely gonna be checking it out again soon!

Jacobson

I really hope this game eventually resembles what the devs originally promised. It's sitting there in my Steam library as a constant reminder to never preorder anything again.

The base game never was a turd though. Some people are just unhappy because they had crazy expectations and got a normal game instead. Those of us who enjoy chilling in fantasy space have been having a fine time.

Buahahahahaha really!? The defense force is still blaming consumers for believing the lies!? Haven't come up with a better angle yet? Don't shoot the messenger just because you got played, son!

Expecting the things we were told the game would have is "Crazy Expectations" now?

Top Bottom