• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 30th Anniversary to one of the GOAT - Robocop (1987)

im glad this thread exists because i was just watching it, and im curious.

what was the purpose of the heart transplant scene at the beginning of the movie? it seems out of place for the rest of the senseless commercials and news reports

Commentary on capitalism essentially. The director was parodying how commercialized everything was and how...weird the media was in America.

Or if you prefer, predicting the dark dystopian nightmare we currently live in.

Leynos

It demonstrates the commodification of medical care. And that "And remember...we care," at the end was completely disingenuous.

One of my favourite movies, however...

There's one really poor scene in the movie which isn't thought out well at all and it's when Robocop arrests Clarence Boddicker and brings him into the police station.

There is zero reaction from everyone that Robocop has just brought in the most hated and despised police killer in old Detroit. In fact, most of them are more shocked that Robocop has abruptly walked into the station.

Sergeant Reed even says 'what's the charge?'. He's just brought in Clarence ****ing Boddicker. What do you think the charge is?!

It'd be like the Rebels bringing in Darth Vader, not reacting and asking what the charge was!

matthewuk

I remember when the robocop games came out, I think it stayed on top of the gameing charts for nearly a year. And the zx spectrum had one of the best 8-bit soundtracks ever.

Sephzilla

One of my favourite movies, however...

There's one really poor scene in the movie which isn't thought out well at all and it's when Robocop arrests Clarence Boddicker and brings him into the police station.

There is zero reaction from everyone that Robocop has just brought in the most hated and despised police killer in old Detroit. In fact, most of them are more shocked that Robocop has abruptly walked into the station.

Sergeant Reed even says 'what's the charge?'. He's just brought in Clarence ****ing Boddicker. What do you think the charge is?!

It'd be like the Rebels bringing in Darth Vader, not reacting and asking what the charge was!

I believe their reaction is likely because this isn't the first time Boddicker has been brought in. He has a mugshot and a record. They probably just figured he'd get out right away again because of his connections

matthewuk

Commentary on capitalism essentially. The director was parodying how commercialized everything was and how...weird the media was in America.

Or if you prefer, predicting the dark dystopian nightmare we currently live in.

OCP=GOP

Actually preibus looks a bit like Bob Morten, there's a trump fireing preibus by grenade meme there I'm sure

Top Bottom