• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls Online Game Informer Details

sangreal

Okay why make an Elder Scrolls MMO when you take out most of the things that made ES games great ?

It's pretty funny because TES games are basically single-player sandbox MMO-style games and then for their MMO they go for theme park crap

Sounds pretty crap, when a friend told me about this last night I thought it was going to be something amazing, I got bored reading the OP halfway through and skimmed it.

FLEABttn

Banned
Can someone brief me on what's wrong with the Hero engine?

TOR doesn't run as well as it could on the high end under certain high load circumstances and runs like a dog on the low end.

That said, I've personally not had any performance issues with it that I wouldn't've experienced elsewhere, outside of some pretty ridiculous load times and some hitching in higher traffic'd areas, like the main fleet.

Aside from the fact that it breeds generic MMOs?

Yeah, all two of them.

NBtoaster

I thought you might at least be able to interact with the extinct races, but nope, it's set after the disappearance of Dwarves and Ayleids.

Maybe you'll be able to go to Molag Bal's realm somehow:

uesp said:
Molag Bal's plane of Oblivion is Coldharbour. The book The Doors of Oblivion says that his plane resembles a copy of Nirn, including the Imperial Palace, but all desecrated and ruined. The ground is sludge, the sky is on fire, and the air is freezing. The Daedroths are typically counted among his servants.

TOR doesn't run as well as it could on the high end under certain high load circumstances and runs like a dog on the low end.

That said, I've personally not had any performance issues with it that I wouldn't've experienced elsewhere, outside of some pretty ridiculous load times and some hitching in higher traffic'd areas, like the main fleet.

Yeah, all two of them.

Ilum (max lvl open pvp area) used to chug like a mofo too when I played. Anything more than ~50 or so people on the screen and your game would lag pretty bad. I was running a decent rig too, i52500k with a gtx 580. Essentially, there is no way the hero engine would be able to handle their reported 100 v 100 pvp battles.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
What in the shit.

I do like "started development in 2007" because this does seem like a great idea... from 2007.

sangreal

Can someone brief me on what's wrong with the Hero engine?

Well, TOR is the only noteworthy game to use it since it was unveiled in the 90s and TOR has serious problems with the "massive" part of MMO. Maybe Bethesda figured something out that Bioware didn't, but many people are going to be skeptical until we see otherwise.

Well, TOR is the only noteworthy game to use it since it was unveiled in the 90s and TOR has serious problems with the "massive" part of MMO. Maybe Bethesda figured something out that Bioware didn't, but many people are going to be skeptical until we see otherwise.

Since it runs on Mac, they clearly figured out something Bioware didn't.

Boss Man

Not Bethesda.

Bethesda probably would have a done much better job designing this but I'm not really sure that they could create a functioning MMO anyway.

IMO, this is for the best. People will always think they want a TES MMO because, well, it sounds "right". It sounds like a franchise that would make the transition well. Fans want it, devs want to make it...I think it's for the best that they realize sooner rather than later what a stinker it'll be so we can just move on with our lives and forget such nonsense. I don't want TES:O to be cancelled - I want it to release, and to fail miserably. I can predict no better outcome for the series.
This makes me sad, because it's probably going to happen. What drives people to not want something to exist just because it doesn't interest them? TES is a great world for an MMO and it could fit in the space very well if a genuine effort was made. This game is just going to poop out as a WoW clone and piss everyone off, and then the whole notion will be lost forever just because Zenimax screwed it up.

It's basically like if Mario 64 sucked, then everyone would have thrown stones at Nintendo and we'd still be playing 2D Mario instead of Galaxy. Except in this case, you could be getting both. This is going to cause so much backlash that we're probably never, ever going to see TES go online in any way whatsoever. I know some people are all for that, but to me it's disappointing. I'd love an optional two-player co-op function and would definitely enjoy a proper TES MMO, but if it ever happens after this it'll be a lot further off now.

FLEABttn

Banned
Anything more than ~50 or so people on the screen and your game would lag pretty bad. I was running a decent rig too, i52500k with a gtx 580. Essentially, there is no way the hero engine would be able to handle their reported 100 v 100 pvp battles.

I don't think I've experienced an engine that would handle 100v100 in that small of an area and perform well. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Raide

Ergggg...just make Skyrim and put in 8 player co-op. Do people really want an Elder Scrolls online game?

Yet another Developer makes an MMO, thinks to themselves "Don't just remake WoW!" and what do they do? Try and re-make WoW. Just give it up. You will never beat WoW. Just put your money into making games that are actually different and interesting. Thank god games like Firefall are out there to not just reskin WoW.

BigDes

The cartoony style just doesn't seem to suit Elder Scrolls, which has always (well since Morrowind anyway) had a fairly bleak look

-Features most of Tamriel including Skyrim, Morrowind, Summerset Isle, and Elseweyr.

-The game world is very large relative to Skyrim

FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL!

They will include all of Skyrim, BUT it will only be a 10th of its size!

-Visually it looks like other Hero Engine MMOs like SWTOR
-The general art style is kind of like RIFT or Everquest 2
-The combat model will not be real time due to latency

All hype of a Elder Scrolls online game just died for me with that. It will play & look nothing like there past games.

Boss Man

So we get another generic MMORPG. Nice one, Zenimax.
Zenimax™ is dedicated to bringing you the hot new gaming experiences that you love; TES V: Skyrim®, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3®, Madden NFL 13®, World of Warcraft® synergized with the classics that you've never forgotten like that "Morrowind" game and the one with the Colossus too (gamers like that one, right?) all in one, expansive online experience!

Derrick01

Banned
When we find out just how bad Prey 2 was gutted I will look to shit like this and Brink getting a full green light from Zenimax and sob like a little girl.

Thanks you two.

Cyrano, I'm giving you a cold prickly.

Jako

Zenimax™ is dedicated to bringing you the hot new gaming experiences that you love; TES V: Skyrim®, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3®, Madden NFL 13®, World of Warcraft® synergized with the classics that you've never forgotten like that "Morrowind" game and the one with the Colossus too (gamers like that one, right?) all in one, expansive online experience!

I remember an interview with a guy from EA saying something like "Yeah, The Old Republic is gonna be great, we have *looks at another guy* 12 storylines I think, yeah, it's gonna be so good!"

He didn't even know what he was talking about. That interview showed me the worst of big gaming companies.

Izayoi

Banned
You know what it looks like? One of those cheesy 90's CG intros. God damn, what a trainwreck. I still don't know what Zenimax was thinking.

Boss Man

You know what it looks like? One of those cheesy 90's CG intros. God damn, what a trainwreck. I still don't know what Zenimax was thinking.
WoW + Elder Scrolls = $$$

Honestly, I think this is going to sell a fucking ton. It probably will be a WoW killer, but a genuine Elder Scrolls MMO could have done that and a lot more.

so Monthly fee or F2P?

I would guess its part of the business plan for these things now to do monthly fee's for about a year then go F2P.

putarorex

I not happy with the generic mmo details, but I'll probably end up getting the game still; I am sucker for the Elder Scrolls world. I just hope it doesn't end up hurting the franchise.

Darklord

Banned
That doesn't look bad. I guess people are hating because they wanted a MMO with Elder Scroll's first person gameplay.

It looks bland as hell. It has no personality to it. It could be Rift, it could be LotR:Online, it could literally be ANY fantasy game.

99%

Official forums are usually a cesspool, except that before launch they are usually positive.

Not in this case...

ectmb.jpg

It's pretty funny because TES games are basically single-player sandbox MMO-style games and then for their MMO they go for theme park crap

Yeah you would think they couldn't fuck it up, yet they did.

I guess the game can only gain momentum from this disaster of an unveiling.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
It looks bland as hell. It has no personality to it. It could be Rift, it could be LotR:Online, it could literally be ANY fantasy game.

Yeah, this is what kills it for me. I love the lore and world of Tamriel and would be interested in playing this game just to explore. But the art style is incredibly bland. What a shame, Morrowind and Skyrim had strong art direction.

Jo-El

I think an Elders Scrolls game that you could play online with other people would be great. This doesn't seem to be that game. Maybe someday.

NBtoaster

It does seem like they are bringing over the enemy stats and forms of magic:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/t...etails-surrounding-elders-scrolls-online.aspx

In this image, you can see a couple player characters battling some Storm Atronachs. Storm Atronach are a species of daedra (divine creatures that come from magical dimensions) that are constructed from stone and held together by magic. The most powerful of all the atronachs, Storm Atronach are immune to normal weapons and shock attacks, are resistant to poisons, and can reflect spells back at their caster.

You'd think by now game developers would figure out that copying WoW is a good way to fail.

God forbid anyone tries to do anything unique like Ultima Online or EVE.

Elder Scrolls would lend itself pretty damn well to a UO style mmo.

Alchemy

You'd think by now game developers would figure out that copying WoW is a good way to fail.

Gotta get some of that CoD.. err.. WoW money.

Also, they're all run by idiots. This will crash and burn. So easy to see.

Saddest thing, members from the Ultima Online team are working on this. How the mighty have fallen.

Top Bottom