• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Off Screen Images

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wait, what game has done 'online' better than Halo 3 on consoles?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ah crap, mods. Don't give me a stupid tag please. Fucking "Member" is better than being stuck with Tom Marello for the rest of my GAF life.

voltron

Ok Im confused.

How the hell does anyone outside of Bungie even have the opportunity to take pics off sreeen anyway?

What am I missing?

And for those proudly claiming "same engine", give me a fucking break. THEY ARE STILL, BLURRY IMAGES. No, YOU cannot discern game engine from that limited information.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Amir0x said:
The best you could call the way Uncharted sold was "mediocre", so we're playing at semantics. They put millions of dollars into making it, they advertised it with commercials, and they squeezed a couple hundred thou out of its first few months at best.

Halo, by contrast, sells fifteen billion copies every millisecond and yet ODST was such a low rent effort visually that it felt as if the commercial for the game had higher production values.

I don't even think it looks like a good game period. I applaud its use of color, in contrast to many FPS, but it has abysmal character models, extremely low geometry compared to other games in the genre on the platform. It'd make sense if they lowered that detail for multiplayer, it perplexes me that it looks so bad EVEN in single player. I don't mean to be nitpicky, but the fucking wheels on the vehicles in the early level of ODST isn't even round. It's like a hectagon or some shit.
I agree, Halo could be a better looking game, however you have to take in consideration the scale of the battles that play out. No other console FPS has that scale with over a dozen enemies per encounter.
Rez said:
None, and it is not a point that should be argued.

kylej

Banned
voltron said:
Ok Im confused.

How the hell does anyone outside of Bungie even have the opportunity to take pics off sreeen anyway?

What am I missing?

And for those proudly claiming "same engine", give me a fucking break. THEY ARE STILL, BLURRY IMAGES. No, YOU cannot discern game engine from that limited information.

I have compared the rock textures in these screens to the rocks in Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2's rocks are unquestionably more rockier than the rocks seen here. Open your eyes.

Halo universe and Halo gameplay with something at the level of killzone 2s engine, and I'll be all over this! Can they push the 360 anymore?? Not really sure.

That said even from the blurry screens I can tell this is a different engine. The gun models alone look to have ambient occlusion.

5btfh5.jpg

Haunted

Off-screen nature, blurriness and size of the shots obviously contribute to the "the completely new engine kinda looks like the old one" effect these are having.

voltron said:
Ok Im confused.

Guy (who posted them on MLG), said he played it at MS. MS must be part of the testing too, as they expand their netcode testing.

voltron said:
I know.. have come to really losing my temper with so many god damn idiots judging GOD DAMN ALPHA CAMERA-PHONE PICTURES!

Ooops.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
gnarkill bill said:
http://i38.tinypic.com/5btfh5.jpg
"is a character in Guitar Hero..."
fucking sad when that's the first thing that comes to people's mind.

Gui_PT

Dani said:
Ah crap, mods. Don't give me a stupid tag please. Fucking "Member" is better than being stuck with Tom Marello for the rest of my GAF life.

You're just giving them ideas :lol

Amir0x said:
I don't mean to be nitpicky, but the fucking wheels on the vehicles in the early level of ODST isn't even round. It's like a hectagon or some shit.

Bad choice of words since a hectagon's got 100 sides, which'd be more polygons for a wheel than almost any game that isn't a racing sim. :lol

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Orlics said:
HEY BUNGIE.

Please learn to model human faces before you release this.

Signed,
A concerned fan

and please make your weapons NOT sound like fisher price toys.

Signed,
another concerned fan

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Well shit, I would that people don't make their decision whether or not to purchase games based on graphics. Especially not on this forum.

Amir0x

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Bad choice of words since a hectagon's got 100 sides, which'd be more polygons for a wheel than almost any game that isn't a racing sim. :lol

Whatever, I was always bad at geometry!

Octagon! That's eight sides, right? That one!

GhaleonEB

kylej said:
I have compared the rock textures in these screens to the rocks in Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2's rocks are unquestionably more rockier than the rocks seen here. Open your eyes.
If you are seriously going to draw any conclusions about visual fidelity from a from blurry, off-screen pics of an early development build, you have issues better suited to a thread on the OT that the gaming forum.

There are a lot of interesting features on display (backpacks?), but graphics are not one of them.

Tokubetsu

If this is sub hd and using the same engine Im probably gonna pass. I loved ODST's story and characters/score and setting but at this point I'm sick of the "feel" of Halo 3. I was really hoping things would be different.

FrankT

Zeouterlimits said:
Guy (who posted them on MLG), said he played it at MS. MS must be part of the testing too, as they expand their netcode testing.

Ooops.

Yep, heads gonna roll.

No_Style

I was sent here by Shane Bettenhausen.

Seriously though, those pics are pretty much the worst. Why are leakers are the worst photographers?

Amir0x

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
If you are seriously going to draw any conclusions about visual fidelity from a from blurry, off-screen pics of an early development build, you have issues better suited to a thread on the OT that the gaming forum.

There are a lot of interesting features on display (backpacks?), but graphics are not one of them.

GhaleonEB your defense mode is causing you to miss sarcasm.

Tashi016 said:
Well shit, I would that people don't make their decision whether or not to purchase games based on graphics. Especially not on this forum.

What is this, a Nintendo thread?

There's no need to pretend around here. In Xbox 360 and PS3 threads, individuals know graphics are one massive part of the game experience.

kylej

Banned
No_Style said:
Seriously though, those pics are pretty much the worse. Why are leakers are the worst photographers?

You're right, I can't think of any reason why these aren't direct captures.

SPEA

kylej said:
...yeah that John Denver is full of shit man.

Amir0x said:
Whatever, I was always bad at geometry!

Octagon! That's eight sides, right? That one!

Yes!

I was actually assuming you meant the seven-sided one (heptagon), but I couldn't remember the spelling either so I googled and discovered the (not) amusing mistake!

No_Style

kylej said:
You're right, I can't think of any reason why these aren't direct captures.

I'm not expecting high quality direct captures. I'm just wondering why these people go through the effort of capturing and not capturing well. Was he wearing a camera on his chain or something?

The addition of sprint is a big plus.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
:lol This thread is going to be the top Google search result for Mr. Morello for the rest of his life.

Cerrius said:
and please make your weapons NOT sound like fisher price toys.

Signed,
another concerned fan
And please figure out anti-aliasing. But this really isn't the thread for complaining, is it?

jett

D-Member
Haunted said:
Off-screen nature, blurriness and size of the shots obviously contribute to the "the completely new engine kinda looks like the old one" effect these are having.

Why do people think this game is gonna use a "completely new engine"? It'll use the same thing Halo 3 and ODST used.

I dont know, I feel majorly burned by ODST. So if there is going to be evenly a remote chance I buy this, they better step up there game with Halo...seriously.

MMaRsu said:
Looks great too! Too bad its still using the same engine though :(.
How are you able to tell that the game is using the same graphics engine from a few blurry pictures? Let alone that Bungie has said that the engine being used for Reach is an entirely new engine.

OMG Aero said:
Well this is a bit disappointing, I was expecting something all new but it just looks like Halo 3 with better graphics.
Honestly: Do some people just enjoy concluding so much from so little?

And taken what I said from the ODST thread, I hope there is no BR in campaign. ODST has the best campaign out of all the Halo's. The removal of the BR along with the addition of the pistol, and the improvements on the traditional gameplay, went a long way.

Edit -
jett said:
Why do people think this game is gonna use a "completely new engine"? It'll use the same thing Halo 3 and ODST used.
And where did you hear that? Because Bungie has said otherwise.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
No_Style said:
Seriously though, those pics are pretty much the worst. Why are leakers are the worst photographers?

Because ninjas don't care for technology. You gotta be handy with the stealin' ya know what I mean, earn ya keep.

J-Rzez

Rez said:

Chromehounds. Believe it or not, SOCOM Conf in it's current state. CoD4 was a better overall performance/experience. And MAG especially does it better.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Amir0x said:
GhaleonEB your defense mode is causing you to miss sarcasm.

What is this, a Nintendo thread?

There's no need to pretend around here. In Xbox 360 and PS3 threads, individuals know graphics are one massive part of the game experience.

No I get that. And I appreciate games that have great and amazing graphics that just blow my mind. But I've played a lot of Halo 3. A LOT. Never have I once thought that game looks "bad" Now, I'm not a blind idiot. I know it doesn't look as good as Uncharted 2, Gears of War, or Killzone 2 but it's not a bad looking game. I guess I'm blinded by the amazing gameplay.

Arhal_Katarn

jett said:

Bungie have confirmed that Reach is using a new engine a number of times.

Magni

jett said:

jett
Mr. Negativity

Bungie has stated multiple times that it'll be a new engine. Are you seriously expecting a full-scale Halo game to use a three year old engine?

Top Bottom