• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

dankir

Goddamn they are getting pricey in HK now... going to be pretty $$ over here.
20293136_10155223026621141_2029212930055239885_n.jpg

Grabbed a Hot Toys Vision for $158 shipped from Midtown. He's not an expensive figure but that was still really well priced and he was the only Avenger I didn't actually have a figure of.

Bii

Grabbed a Hot Toys Vision for $158 shipped from Midtown. He's not an expensive figure but that was still really well priced and he was the only Avenger I didn't actually have a figure of.

Shipping for 1/6 figures from Midtown for me always adds $25+ to my order (I'm in California). :(

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
A little puffy but I think it looks pretty good. I'd like to get a Robe for mine. These days there's lots of people selling them on ebay. Used to be you'd struggle to find them and they'd sell out really fast when you did.

This seller has robes up on eBay right now but not in dark brown.
I could dye but that's a scary idea.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I saw a pretty cool custom head for sale.
This one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-K-oVR4gXc
Feng does four different styles of John Wick heads and he's taking orders again within the next few days.
The same guy is also going to be selling some really nice 1/12 pencils. Fuckin' pencils!

A blue striped tie?!

I'm bringing my sharpies to right that heinous act of fashion. Seriously, that looks ok if you're making a Hasbro John Wick but I'm willing to pay 70 plus for quality texture and articulation along the lines of this...

51l0zYVXDtL.jpg

Not to discredit the man in the video's craft, that is a stellar looking head swap. But that's what that is, a headswap :/

A very good one though.

TAJ

A blue striped tie?!

I'm bringing my sharpies to right that heinous act of fashion. Seriously, that looks ok if you're making a Hasbro John Wick but I'm willing to pay 70 plus for quality texture and articulation along the lines of this...

51l0zYVXDtL.jpg

Not to discredit the man in the video's craft, that is a stellar looking head swap. But that's what that is, a headswap :/

A very good one though.

You could really put those heads on anything. I think the main problem with that Hasbro body they used is the plasticky look of the finish. It would probably be greatly improved with a blast of matte clearcoat.

Invis

Wondering if you guys can give me some info on where to start if I want to begin collecting. I've got a handful of Pop Vinyls, but I'm looking to expand further out from there and get some larger and significantly higher detail stuff. I'm not big on action figures necessarily, but more statues. I dont even know if there's technically a difference anyway. It's a turn off for me where I can see that huge gap where the arms and legs connect to the body, that's what I'm trying to say. So trying to find just really seamless figures.

I'm not really looking to spend more than $100 right out the gate on a figure or statue, but I am willing to spend up to that right now. What are some companies making HQ and affordable statues and figures?

Specifically looking for anything Venom, Carnage, Doc Oc, Kylo Ren, DeadPool, Arkham Knight, and/or Master Chief.

jackdoe

Wondering if you guys can give me some info on where to start if I want to begin collecting. I've got a handful of Pop Vinyls, but I'm looking to expand further out from there and get some larger and significantly higher detail stuff. I'm not big on action figures necessarily, but more statues. It's a turn off for me where I can see that huge gap where the arms and legs connect to the body.

I'm not really looking to spend more than $100 right out the gate on a figure or statue, but I am willing to spend up to that right now. What are some companies making HQ and affordable statues and figures?

Specifically looking for anything Venom, Carnage, Doc Oc, Kylo Ren, DeadPool, Arkham Knight, and/or Master Chief.
I'm a big fan of the PAK Halo 2 Anniversary Master Chief:
https://www.amazon.com/Square-Enix-Master-Anniversary-Action/dp/B00OZ5I706/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500950592&sr=8-1&keywords=master+chief+play+arts+kai

dankir

Christ, here's what one of my guys in HK is getting the Toy Fair figures in Canadian with shipping being extra.

Mark 2 $480CAD
Thor $400CAD
Hulk $490CAD
1/4 Joker $720CAD
1/4 Batman $640CAD
1/6 Batman $430CAD

I'm getting priced out :(

TAJ

Apparently the Marvel Legends Thor Ragnarok wave has started popping up at Walgreens.

Besides the exclusive Punisher I've never seen a figure newer than the Hulkbuster wave at the Walgreens within 30 miles of here.
Probably a third of the stock in the area is Ultimate Green Goblin wave Electro.

dangeROSS

Random question - What do folks think about 3 3/4 inch figures vs 6 inch figures?

I have a 6 inch Marvel Legends collection now and love it, but have recently been tempted to get into the 3 3/4 inch Marvel Universe stuff as I feel like it might be easier to display the smaller figures rather then the larger ones. I am just finding it hard to drop more money to get smaller versions of figures I already have.

Or alternate question - How do you display your collection in nice clean ways?

Random question - What do folks think about 3 3/4 inch figures vs 6 inch figures?

I have a 6 inch Marvel Legends collection now and love it, but have recently been tempted to get into the 3 3/4 inch Marvel Universe stuff as I feel like it might be easier to display the smaller figures rather then the larger ones. I am just finding it hard to drop more money to get smaller versions of figures I already have.

Or alternate question - How do you display your collection in nice clean ways?

Lots to get into here.

I have a ton of 3.75" Star Wars. Like it's by far the biggest part of my collection. As a result, I'm not super big into the 6" Black Series stuff and am thrilled to be getting Vintage Collection back. On the other hand, I think I have more 6" stuff displayed because it looks nicer on display and is just easier to set up.

Alternately, I started with 6" Marvel Legends, dabbled in the 3.75" Marvel stuff, and am now back to just 6". I'm slowly realizing that outside of the high end stuff, I'm very much committed to what I initially started collecting. If you think you're willing to lose a lot of the characters that are in the 6" scale for 3.75", go for it, but I really think for Marvel, 6" will get more figures constantly.

As for displaying, it depends on the room. I have in my man cave three display cabinets, but they're filled with the expensive stuff. Hot Toys and Sideshow. I have LEGO in a couple areas too. The rest? Packed in a room in book shelves or in drawers. Just depends on the space.

dangeROSS

Lots to get into here.

I have a ton of 3.75" Star Wars. Like it's by far the biggest part of my collection. As a result, I'm not super big into the 6" Black Series stuff and am thrilled to be getting Vintage Collection back. On the other hand, I think I have more 6" stuff displayed because it looks nicer on display and is just easier to set up.

Alternately, I started with 6" Marvel Legends, dabbled in the 3.75" Marvel stuff, and am now back to just 6". I'm slowly realizing that outside of the high end stuff, I'm very much committed to what I initially started collecting. If you think you're willing to lose a lot of the characters that are in the 6" scale for 3.75", go for it, but I really think for Marvel, 6" will get more figures constantly.

As for displaying, it depends on the room. I have in my man cave three display cabinets, but they're filled with the expensive stuff. Hot Toys and Sideshow. I have LEGO in a couple areas too. The rest? Packed in a room in book shelves or in drawers. Just depends on the space.

Thanks, appreciate it. Sometimes nice to talk/write things out a bit when debating things in your head. Yea I started with Legends as well and I do enjoy them a ton. If I do jump into the 4 inch stuff I would be starting from scratch and just essentially re-buying alot of what I already have in a smaller scale. The rational side of my brain says this is dumb, the action figure side of my brain don't care.

I've looked into display cases like the Ikea Detolf. They look awesome. Currently rocking a cube bookcase and it isn't bad I suppose. Some setups I see on here look really great though.

Eh, if I am this conflicted I don't think I should pull the trigger on the smaller scale stuff I suppose. Still gonna have to think about it I guess. First world problems.

I'm jealous of everyone who has an Ikea and can just go buy Detolfs. I'm stuck either making my own or lucking into display cases. Such a hassle.

LiK

250 dollars for Play Arts Kai Harley on BBTS

No thanks.

Only around $180USD from AmiAmi with the discount...derp.

I can see the figure going for a discount after release. I know she's popular but no one is paying that preorder amount for a friggin' PAK
except Messi

Top Bottom