• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

Out of all of the football memories you could associate with Junior, is it weird that the first thing that comes to mind is him separating Ryan Leaf from that reporter he freaked out on?

LJ11

but that completely changes the hit. Yes if we change those things that would make it a clean hit, but we could take a lot of plays like that in hockey and say, well hey, if he only didn't do that illegal thing that would have been clean!

Hossa would have taking a licking for sure though, but if he hits him shoulder to shoulder I don't think he's taken off on a stretcher.

I'm not justifying it, in my mind even even a similar "clean" hit is much too dangerous.

Hossa probably wouldn't have gone off on a stretcher, but the hit would've rocked him and may have still caused a concussion. Just watching the head whip back, brutal.

This stuff can be mitigated in hockey, just get rid of these blindside open ice hits on puck carriers.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
You know what I mean, though. Has there been anything close to this kind of punishment in the NFL before?

I think Alex Karas and a couple of other players were banned for a year for betting on games.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
From Bentley's Twitter:

LeCharles Bentley ‏ @LeCharlesBent65

Any other smart ass player want to question why the league is cracking down? One of THE baddest dudes MAY have just killed himself....

One PR nightmare after another for the NFL. Hopefully some good will come out of researching Seau's brain. No one deserves to die this early in their life due to something as trivial as a sport.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
The Seau news is sad. When I was a youngster playing pop warner football we went up to Husky Stadium(King Dome was having its roof tile problems) to play on the field prior to the Seahawks vs Chargers. The Chargers walked in near where we were all waiting and Seau was super friendly and gave us all high fives. It was a pretty big deal and I remember being in awe of him.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Get out with this, no way in hell was it remotely. He jumped 6 inches in the air and dropped his shoulder square into Hossa's head.
you really think that was a borderline clean hockey play?
Eh. It would have been a clean hit if he hadn't left his feet. Regardless, this isn't the thread for it.

Just heard :( dude text his kids. :(
Ex-wife too, I heard. The day before, just to say goodbye. Horrible stuff.

People keep talking about the concussion angle because that's the big story the last few years, but a lot of this is probably just as tied to steroid use. Not to single Seau out, but that's not a stretch with him to assume.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Sad to hear about Seau.

I hope this doesn't end up causing people to blame football injuries for him committing suicide. Who knows what kind of stuff he was dealing with?

In other news, we STILL haven't cut Hargrove?

People keep talking about the concussion angle because that's the big story the last few years, but a lot of this is probably just as tied to steroid use. Not to single Seau out, but that's not a stretch with him to assume.

Would certainly explain a bunch of his teammates killing themselves.

Sanjuro

Patriots sign Jabar Gaffney.

Still stocking up for our 2012 WR WORLD TOUR!

Featuring:

84 Deion Branch WR 32 5-9 195 10 Louisville
-- Britt Davis WR 26 6-3 215 1 Northern Illinois
-- Jeremy Ebert WR -- 5-11 200 R Northwestern
11 Julian Edelman WR 25 5-10 198 3 Kent State
-- Anthony Gonzalez WR 27 6-0 193 5 Ohio State
-- Brandon Lloyd WR 30 6-0 188 9 Illinois
85 Chad Ochocinco WR 34 6-1 192 11 Oregon State
18 Matthew Slater WR 26 6-0 200 4 UCLA
-- Donte' Stallworth WR 31 6-0 220 9 Tennessee
10 Tiquan Underwood WR 25 6-1 183 3 Rutgers
83 Wes Welker WR 31 5-9 185 8 Texas Tech
XX Jabar Gaffney WR

squicken

I'm not justifying it, in my mind even even a similar "clean" hit is much too dangerous.

Hossa probably wouldn't have gone off on a stretcher, but the hit would've rocked him and may have still caused a concussion. Just watching the head whip back, brutal.

This stuff can be mitigated in hockey, just get rid of these blindside open ice hits on puck carriers.

What I don't like about that is that it encourages players NOT to protect themselves. Puck handlers need to have their head on a swivel. Guys going over the middle need to weigh the consequences of jumping for a ball in traffic. It's absurd, imo, to reward an offensive player for disregarding his own safety.

Wow what the hell. It took me a while to piece together the shot in the chest with what happened to that other player a few years ago, for science. My god...

I am with Goddell now, we need to do something.

RIP Seau, one of the greats.

Milchjon

Damn, what a shitty day for the NFL. Player health was the one aspect of football that was bugging me ever since I started watching. An older post of mine that summarizes how I feel about it:

You know, after some years of watching football, I still occasionally get put of by the risks of it. I don't know how people can cheer a crushing hit or make fun of someone who's got signs of a concussion when you know that it's taking years off his life. Or maybe he'll just lose brain functions and kill himself or others.
All those "pussy" discussions don't make alot of sense. Rugby isn't more exciting just because they play without pads.

The problem I guess is that you'll probably need external intervention to really change something, as everyone involved kinda likes the violent nature. Fans want to see crushing hits, Players want to add to their market value and feel like modern day warriors. Another old post of mine:

I think one of the reasons why the NFL has to care about player safety is a potentially diminishing talent pool.
Just over the last few days, I've stumbled upon two articles (Grantland and Deadspin) that raise this point.
Sure, this is anecdotal and GAF won't like the sources, but I truly think that the backlash against the NFL/football on all levels will only get bigger as scientists, journalists, lawyers, ex-players and moms dig deeper into the issue.

RIP Junior Seau.

ATF487

Also, being a professional athlete is like a 10 to 15 year high, it's really hard to adjust when coming down from that. What do you do with your life?

Wrayfield

Damn, what a shitty day for the NFL. Player health was the one aspect of football that was bugging me ever since I started watching. An older post of mine that summarizes how I feel about it:

The problem I guess is that you'll probably need external intervention to really change something, as everyone involved kinda likes the violent nature. Fans want to see crushing hits, Players want to add to their market value and feel like modern day warriors. Another old post of mine:

RIP Junior Seau.

So, you don't cheer for a crushing hit? A knock-out punch in an amazing fight? I get it, it's conflicting. On a day like today? Sucks balls big time. But you still like (love?) football, right? Surely, tough hits are part of it. For me they are. Player safety is important, but so much is on these guys as well (helmet choice, right mouth piece, etc.). Not saying they are the only ones to blame, but if I box, play football, hockey, (rugby as well, btw.) it comes with the territory.

The pussy talk? Come on, that's just sports talk. Guys talking big, on the internet especially. Applies to less violent sports as well.

Also, being a professional athlete is like a 10 to 15 year high, it's really hard to adjust when coming down from that. What do you do with your life?

Sell cars.

bfrVb.png

squicken

I know this is off topic but I can't believe the Mets are still paying bobby Bonilla all that money. What a terrible organization. How is McCourt the poster boy for bad owners? At least he knew what he was doing with the fraud and made a ton of money anyway. Wilpon was actually trying and still sucked!

BigAT

Nice Seau story from Eric Olsen:

"Wow this is a tough one.. When I was a frosh in HS Junior Seau worked the Jay Fiedler Football camp and at the end of one of the days he Challenged any1 to a 1 on 1. Being one of the 'big' kids, I was volunteered by my buddies and went up in front of the whole camp to face This monster of a man. Shaking in my cleats, he gave me a wink before a coach gave the cadence. He let me pancake him. And he sold it too I can't even tell you how good I felt at that moment; it changed me forever. The whole camp cheered for me, a chubby kid that didn't know If he even liked football. From then on I was addicted. All thanks 2 this 10 time all-pro that felt like making some snot-nosed kid's day. Doesn't seem like much but it meant a lot to me. Sorry for the essay just had to share. RIP Junior I'll never forget what you did for me."

Taken from his Twitter:
https://twitter.com/#!/EOlsen69

Bowser

Jonathan Vilma said:
I am shocked and extremely disappointed by the NFL’s decision to suspend me for the 2012 season. Commissioner Roger Goodell has refused to share any of the supposed evidence he claims supports this unprecedented punishment. The reason is clear: I never paid, or intended to pay, $10,000, or any amount of money, to any player for knocking Kurt Warner, Brett Favre or any other player out of the 2009 Divisional playoff game, 2010 NFC Championship Game or any other game.

I never set out to intentionally hurt any player and never enticed any teammate to intentionally hurt another player. I also never put any money into a bounty pool or helped to create a bounty pool intended to pay out money for injuring other players. I have always conducted myself in a professional and proud manner.

I intend to fight this injustice, to defend my reputation, to stand up for my team and my profession, and to send a clear signal to the commissioner that the process has failed, to the detriment of me, my teammates, the New Orleans Saints and the game.

drew-brees-saints-qb-tight-file-photo-7beae47bb100b244_large.jpg

"THAT'S RIGHT! WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE ROGER?!"

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Vilma never denied saying he was offering $10,000 bounties. All he said in that statement is that he would have never actually paid anybody $10,000.

So he offers bounties and then doesn't even intend to pay them! What a scumbag.

Milchjon

So, you don't cheer for a crushing hit? A knock-out punch in an amazing fight? I get it, it's conflicting. On a day like today? Sucks balls big time. But you still like (love?) football, right? Surely, tough hits are part of it. For me they are. Player safety is important, but so much is on these guys as well (helmet choice, right mouth piece, etc.). Not saying they are the only ones to blame, but if I box, play football, hockey, (rugby as well, btw.) it comes with the territory.

The pussy talk? Come on, that's just sports talk. Guys talking big, on the internet especially. Applies to less violent sports as well.

Actually, I really don't enjoy them. Of course I have my primal instincts (Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you, Ray Rice), but I think because I started watching this late in my life I've always been aware of what a knock out hit really means. So no, no matter what team is playing, if it crosses a certain line I'll never enjoy it.

And yes, I am a bit conflicted.
Thankfully the Pats secondary seems to think it is playing flag football. Their non-tackling ways make it a bit easier for me ;-)

snesfreak

Banned
Bucs are the classiest team in the NFC South.
Aints? Cheaters with a bounty program.
Failcons? HAH!
Kitties? Their QB steals laptops.

cajunator

Banned
Now that the suspended players are known and their relation to the CAP, I think the deal with Brees will be done pretty quickly. Saints did not know the numbers they had to work with u till this point. Now they have an extra 4 milll in cap space and that will make it a lot easier to get the deal done. Then Saints fans can get this shit behind them and just focus on the season. I'm tired of all this bountygate talk.; I don't give a fuck anymore. Just get the season started so I can watch football.

Also, R.I.P. Junior Seau.

snesfreak

Banned
Now that the suspended players are known and their relation to the CAP, I think the deal with Brees will be done pretty quickly. Saints did not know the numbers they had to work with u till this point. Now they have an extra 4 milll in cap space and that will make it a lot easier to get the deal done. Then Saints fans can get this shit behind them and just focus on the season. I'm tired of all this bountygate talk.; I don't give a fuck anymore. Just get the season started so I can watch football.

You're gonna be hearing about it all year.

Bowser

Fuck that pic is NSFW.

u mad? It's on NY Times bro!

Still, edited for the ninnies.

The New Orleans Saints and quarterback Drew Brees are not any closer to a contract extension and have made little progress on a long-term deal, a person familiar with the negotiations told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...orleans-saints-not-close-contract-source-says

This was reported today :jnc

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Until Brees feels insulted again and ditched the shitstorm that NO is going to face this year.

Niners'll pick him up.

Top Bottom