• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Mobile Developer Program (Vita & Android)

Does anyone know how much of the Vita's power this suite restricts you to?

Can it take full advantage of the vita's hardware? Could we potentially see graphically intense games released through this suite?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Can it take full advantage of the vita's hardware? Could we potentially see graphically intense games released through this suite?

64 or 96 MB ram or something. Someone correct me on the precise amount please.

mclaren777

I hope not as Real Racing is kind of a shit racing game. :p

What don't you like about it? I've never played it, but I've gotta think something similar would be awesome with analog control.

If the Vita gets a proper racing sim, I'll buy one almost immediately.

ReaperXL7

So Gaf, quick question.

Does this seem like it would be a solid way to teach yourself some basic game programming? The most experience I have with game development is on the music/sound design side, but i've been wanting to start teaching myself atleast some basics. I have a few books, and what not, but I need a good program to allow me some room to learn in a practical manner. You think the SDK is a good jumping in point, or would it be too advanced?

So Gaf, quick question.

Does this seem like it would be a solid way to teach yourself some basic game programming? The most experience I have with game development is on the music/sound design side, but i've been wanting to start teaching myself atleast some basics. I have a few books, and what not, but I need a good program to allow me some room to learn in a practical manner. You think the SDK is a good jumping in point, or would it be too advanced?

It's too advanced.

Your best bet is starting with QBasic... it's designed for DOS...
You can probably jump to VisualBasic then to either Java or C++. Both are nearly the same, but since C / ++ is used more often, it'll probably your better bet... it's a big jump though.

neptunes

It's too advanced.

Your best bet is starting with QBasic... it's designed for DOS...
You can probably jump to VisualBasic then to either Java or C++. Both are nearly the same, but since C / ++ is used more often, it'll probably your better bet... it's a big jump though.
You one of the few people I've ever heard that says C++ is harder to learn the C#.

A simple understanding of Programming logic (arrays. else if statements, and dependencies) should help you with most languages.

C# isn't any more advanced than X-Code or Objective - C (which some claim is the most complex)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
tried some of the sample on vita the 2d action game and 3d rpg, both run kinda sluggish on vita. Is that normal?

*i know nothing about programing just that it looks like fun.

The RPG demo doesn't deviate much beyond 31ms for me (i.e. ~30fps)... there is some pop-in and a weird pause or two when it seems to be loading certain animations (e.g. barrel breaking), but that's more an engine thing...

It can't take advantage of the full Vita hardware, no. The software runs on top of a virtual machine but what spec that is, I don't know - just that it has to be low enough to at least run on Xperia Play level hardware upwards.

So Gaf, quick question.

Most development environments are good enough. I think depending on where you want to go, this one is as good as any. The easiest currently though would be using something like with Visual Studio C#.Net Express Edition ... there are tonnes of examples of anything you want to do, and it is easy to find programming tutorials.

Obviously though from there it is easy enough to move to the PS Suite SDK, as it uses the same syntax, and programming stuff like graphics and audio is actually pretty clean in here with some good examples provided in the SDK.

Particularly for games programming this is a good, limited environment with good examples, and there isn't much that will be easier, unless you decide to go straight to something like Unity or Unreal Engine if you want to do 3D stuff.

Above all, before you do games programming it is good to have a handle on basic programming concepts. These days you should really start immediately with the concept of objects and methods as the basis of your learning, and learning about inheritance, events and callbacks is as important as learning about basic loops and variable manipulation.

It is actually better to start with high-level concepts and then drill down to the details than the other way around in my experience. You will almost learn the detail stuff intuitively, and only need to look at specific instructions if those details aren't clear for some reason.

Note that I wrote a Yabasic for PS2 tutorial back in 2001 where I do the exact reverse, taking the traditional approach that I learnt from the books I used myself (which was among others a course in Atari Basic for the Atari 800 :D)

You one of the few people I've ever heard that says C++ is harder to learn the C#.

A simple understanding of Programming logic (arrays. else if statements, and dependencies) should help you with most languages.

C# isn't any more advanced than X-Code or Objective - C (which some claim is the most complex)

...? C# and Java are practically the same thing. C/C++ is what threw me off in school (which is the farthest I got before switching to game design).

Most development environments are good enough. I think depending on where you want to go, this one is as good as any. The easiest currently though would be using something like with Visual Studio C#.Net Express Edition ... there are tonnes of examples of anything you want to do, and it is easy to find programming tutorials.

Obviously though from there it is easy enough to move to the PS Suite SDK, as it uses the same syntax, and programming stuff like graphics and audio is actually pretty clean in here with some good examples provided in the SDK.

Particularly for games programming this is a good, limited environment with good examples, and there isn't much that will be easier, unless you decide to go straight to something like Unity or Unreal Engine if you want to do 3D stuff.

Above all, before you do games programming it is good to have a handle on basic programming concepts. These days you should really start immediately with the concept of objects and methods as the basis of your learning, and learning about inheritance, events and callbacks is as important as learning about basic loops and variable manipulation.

It is actually better to start with high-level concepts and then drill down to the details than the other way around in my experience. You will almost learn the detail stuff intuitively, and only need to look at specific instructions if those details aren't clear for some reason.

Note that I wrote a Yabasic for PS2 tutorial back in 2001 where I do the exact reverse, taking the traditional approach that I learnt from the books I used myself (which was among others a course in Atari Basic for the Atari 800 :D)

That's what I heard. My uni taught us the most basic first... so when we finally got up to the more complex stuff, my brain was full of fuck. That's probably why neptunes was perplexed by my statement...

FinKL

Hmm, am I wrong to think that the PS Suite was the app that made it possible for everything from the Android Store to work on Vita =/

ALSO,
Can we expect a port of Dudebro: My Shit Is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time? ;)
+1

test_account

XP-39C²
id like the vita to get hacked if suite is not open enough, so someone makes an n64 and dreamcast emu. just give it to me. space channel 5 on the go? give it to me.
If someone havnt made a (proper) Dreamcast emulator for the most powerful system (PC), it is very unlikely that someone will make it for Vita.

...what!? You gotta be shitting me.
It is true about the patent:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...AN/Nintendo&RS=(ISD/20120417 AND AN/Nintendo)

But it is not about emulators on handheld. They talk about "low-capability target platform (e.g., a seat-back display for airline or train use, a personal digital assistant, a cell phone)". Regarding cellphones, keep in mind that this patent was filed in 2003. Today's cellphones are not low-capability.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder what PSN access they'll allow.

Can I use PSN features? When will I be able to use them?

We can't provide detailed information at this stage, but we are doing everything we can to make requested features available as soon as possible.

I'm sure there won't be trophies (sorry Wario), but basic friends list access might be a reasonable expectation.

I have a couple guys willing to sell me a Vita for $200 with a 4 GB memory card. I'm considering it... Is that a good deal?

Oh... How is the 3D? Is it basically OpenGL? And do they have any sort of 3D engines included? (I read they have a 2D engine in the SDK.)

androvsky

Only free during the Open Beta, testing on Vita will be a premium feature when the Open Beta is over.

Where did you see that? The main PS Suite community/developer guy said that the all the tools are free and the fee is only for submitting and keeping your apps in the store.

ReaperXL7

Skype would be a good start. I am kind of liking the "waking up alliance" and "Painting park" apps that were put on the JPN store though. :)

I was under the impression that Skype was already coming from Sony no? Thought it was coming by the end of the month.

androvsky

I wonder what PSN access they'll allow.
Yeah, I wonder too. :)
I'm sure there won't be trophies (sorry Wario), but basic friends list access might be a reasonable expectation.
I wouldn't be too sure. I mean, I wouldn't expect trophies either, but I think there's a lot of room for surprises in the PSN integration area.

desu

2D physic examples are nice, you can switch with left/right through various different samples.

ragdoll1vaki.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yes and the app on the Vita running

Try this:

If you have the Suite Studio open, go to File -> Open.

Then navigate to the Pss folder in public documents folder. On my machine that's C:\Users\Public\Documents\Pss

Then go to sample\demo\FlightDemo and click on the FlightDemo.sln file, and then Open.

That'll open that sample. To run it on your PC, go to Run -> Run With -> Playstation Suite Simulator.

To run on your Vita you need to download the Suite Dev app on to your Vita, open it, connect your Vita to your PC, and then there should be an option to run on Vita...you might have to twiddle with a drop-down menu first...

Here's the drop down menu I was referring to, make sure Vita is selected there:

dcmh3.png

And here's the run menu in case you can't find it:

3AmxW.png

Shikoro

Man, I can't even find the samples or how to load them for the life of me. Vita is connected to the PC now.

Open Pss Studio, click Open Solution or File, go to your PUBLIC Documents folder, open the Pss folder, then the sample folder and just go through the samples by opening the .sln files.

To run it on your PC, go to Run -> Run with -> PS Suite Simulator. To run it on your Vita, just go to Run with -> PS Vita...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Finally got it. Loading up all the games I can to play them while not having to be plugged in. The RPG demo reminds me of that one PSP game from early in it's life. Can't put my name on it.

theBishop

Banned
Any chance we can bar Jeff_rigby from this thread?

Glad to see Suite finally launched. I've had the private beta for a while, but didn't get a chance to do much.

I'm having trouble connecting... My vita connects to my pc fine and content manager confirms its connected. PSS recognizes it but as soon as I boot into playstation suite development assistant it disconnects. Every single time. I've tried restarting and rebooting. I don't think the vita's drivers installed properly. I've uninstalled and tried to have it auto install it every time but it keeps failing.

I'm on windows 7.

Any ideas?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm having trouble connecting... My vita connects to my pc fine and content manager confirms its connected. PSS recognizes it but as soon as I boot into playstation suite development assistant it disconnects. Every single time. I've tried restarting and rebooting. I don't think the vita's drivers installed properly. I've uninstalled and tried to have it auto install it every time but it keeps failing.

I'm on windows 7.

Any ideas?

Start the PSS app on your PC

Find the samples folder on your PC and load a file

Go to Run on the top options tree - then hit run in PS Suite emulator (something like that). Anytime during this process just plug in your Vita, forget the content manager. This is nothing to do with that. Your Vita should should up in the little pulldown tab that says Playstation Suite Emulator and say Playstation Vita with a bunch of unique numbers to identify your unit.

Now that you know your PC is seeing your Vita, go to the run part after you've started to run it in emulation mode and then choose to run it on your Vita, give it some time as bigger files take a little longer to load. The little command box will tell you what's happening. Hit me up on Steam or SteamGAF chat if you want me to walk you through it.

KAL2006

Banned
I wish PS Certified minimum spec requirement was much higher so we could have got much more power hungry games that use more of the Vita's power.

Top Bottom