• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The perfect game?

Z..

FF7.

I replay it every year to see if it still holds up, and it really does. It is not without flaws, but the package as a whole is really quite something. It saddens me that we will never see its like again.
Fuck this noise. Downgrade in every way from VI and completely outclassed by IX. Good game but has the most idiotically hyperbolic fanbase ever.

Velius

Banned
I guess I can't really say that any game is completely perfect.

I think I can create a list of games that I would never change. Ironically my favorite game of all time would not be on that list.

Games I would never, ever change:

Dark-Souls-view.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

a05524477cbe1e54c8a3bb6efc04030d7c72c91047646a35aa2cd2fa7ceff1e8_product_card_screenshot_600.jpg

150754-Killer_7_(USA)-2.jpg

chrono-trigger.png

A-Link-to-the-Past-featured.jpg

images

portal2-wheatley.jpg

23862-chrono-cross-playstation-screenshot-cool-feature-choosing-different.jpg

960.jpg

590dfe15ae653a554156c600

latest

Rathorial

Thief 2

Solid story, solid gameplay with real systemic depth, amazing level design, great sound design and a decent soundtrack.

Divinity Original Sin 2

1st game already had the gameplay and soundtrack chops, but the story was much improved, as was the level design on top of convenience features. Also, out of the many RPGs I've played, it easily has the best turn-based combat...and that is a huge portion of what you spend time doing.

Bayonetta is probably the perfect character action game for me. It's super silly and ridiculous and feels like the only thing people really got deadly serious about when making it was the gameplay, which I generally feel is the best approach unless you're making a sim or some super serious Schindler's List type game.

Soodanim

Mechanically, The Phantom Pain is as close to perfect as I've ever seen in a game. It was just contained in a game that was developed in very unfortunate circumstances. I'd still love a remake of 3 in that engine.

BibiMaghoo

Fuck this noise. Downgrade in every way from VI and completely outclassed by IX. Good game but has the most idiotically hyperbolic fanbase ever.

Na, 6 has poor character development and a worse story and 9 is too simplistic with a gash ending and irritating skill system. I'd rank 8 above them both.

Burn0ut

Neo Member

So why is FF7 worldwide so big and iconic and not 6 or 9?

I know the answer. Because it’s so fantastic.
But maybe you have some excuse why it’s the most beloved part of the series.

DKPOWPOW

In terms of strictly design, with the least amount of flaws...

Metroid Prime

There's a few games I like better, but it's incredibly hard for me to point out anything in Prime 1 that could've been done better.

Wiped89

Wipeout 3

Each to their own. Games are a question of taste in games and genre. Not just about ticking boxes in some ostensibly 'most popular genre'

I'm sure to others Fifa or Theme Park are the perfect game.

T8SC

Because Square went balls to the walls with 7 in terms of marketing, and didn't do it as much for 6 and 9.

In 1997, but what about all the people who didn't play it back then and still think its the best when there was no marketing in 2005/6/7 or whenever they decided to play it?

JaxBriggs

Interesting lore ✔
Exciting gameplay ✔
Sweet visuals ✔
High replayability ✔
Great (non-toxic) community ✔

ERCRd8p.jpg

Regolego

Neo Member
Demon's Souls
Super Mario games
RE4

And when you got long periods of being secluded from society:
Monster Hunter-series, Fallout-series etc.

Burn0ut

Neo Member
Because Square went balls to the walls with 7 in terms of marketing, and didn't do it as much for 6 and 9.

That argument should holp up for more FF’s then. They have had big marketing campaigns for other FFs too.

But yes we are stupid, the millions of FF7 fans. We love FF7 because of some commercial ads in the 90’s. We dont get it.
The smaller groups of FF6 and 9 fans they truly understand it.
Thanks.

BibiMaghoo

This is only applicable to sales, not critical reception. Games with huge marketing budgets sell mostly in accordance with that, and FF7 had a monstrous amount of money spent on it. So did the Old Republic, or the first Battlefront game. People actually liking a game, especially years (or decades) after any hype is nothing to do with how much advertising was done. Only sales are reflective of it, and even then not always.

Fbh

My favourite franchise is the Souls series but I don't think any of its games are perfect.
I don't like the disconnected worlds, performance, and some of the bosses in Demon Souls
I think the second half of DS1 has several issues
Dark Souls 2 has been talked about at length over the years
Dark Souls 3 feels too much like more of the same and lacks the creativity of the previous games
Bloodborne (my favorite) could have used more build variety, the health regen system is a step back from the estus flask and I would have liked 1-2 more areas instead of chalice dungeons

So, the closest one to me is Chrono Trigger.
The world and characters remain great, the story is really enjoyable, I think it has a timeless graphical style and art direction and the music remains as some of the best in gaming. Chrono Trigger is the only game where I struggle to really think of many things I'd improve

In my dreams...

From Software BLAME!
blame_manga_reprint-1200x984.jpg

That would be so fucking amazing

jobrro

The perfect game doesn't exis-

Dog%27s_Life_Coverart.png

Isn't this the game with a really weird ending? You turn the antagonist into dog food or something? I think I saw that on YouTube.

I have been playing games 20 something years and probably the closest I came to a game that is perfect for me was KOTOR near launch on PC. The end boss still annoyed me though so it wasn't perfect, but it was pretty close to a perfect experience and I am not even close to a die hard Star Wars fan. KOTOR 2 was good too but they cut development short and ended it with exposition.

wvnative

I believe no game is perfect, but here is one that I believe is as close to perfection as possible for a video game.

burnout_paradise_ps3.jpg

To this day, I consider this the pinnacle of video games. You have insane amounts of content, a year of FREE updates that added substantial amounts of content like motorcycles, day/night cycle, constant QOL updates with updated interface every few months, and when they finally started charging for stuff, they charged for cool shit like classic movie cars and a new area of the map that essentially adds a new campaign. You can create your own races. Competitive events are fun as hell and don't all revolve around racing, you have stunt competitions, road rage (which was basically a violent tag your it with cars) and other modes. You have imo, perfect car handling while still maintaining a noticeable control difference between cars. Different boost styles reward different styles of play. They were among the first devs to add custom soundtrack and screenshot support to the PS3. They had an in-game messaging system you could access long before in-game XMB was a thing. Easy Drive remains the most seamless and innovative menu system ever, with true seamless online/offline switching, and car switching, music track switching and restarting races ALL without having to stop your car or see a load screen. Open ended racing rewards map exploration. Collectables help the player learn shortcuts and the like all across the map. Online cooperative challenges were not only the most fun I've had in video games, but helped me at least to foster what has become lifelong friendships. When my friend and I were stuck on DSL, this was the only game that worked FLAWLESSLY. No lag, no disconnects, crystal clear voice chat, a testament to the game's online infrastructure. They had what felt like at the time, infinite paint combinations for most cars, allowing you to make your car truly your own. This was everything modern gaming COULD be. Gaming Perfection. Fuck the haters.

Also, everything I just listed is just what made it into the game, read up on what got cut, and I'll leave you something to imagine.

Morbid

Banned
I believe no game is perfect, but here is one that I believe is as close to perfection as possible for a video game.

burnout_paradise_ps3.jpg

To this day, I consider this the pinnacle of video games. You have insane amounts of content, a year of FREE updates that added substantial amounts of content like motorcycles, day/night cycle, constant QOL updates with updated interface every few months, and when they finally started charging for stuff, they charged for cool shit like classic movie cars and a new area of the map that essentially adds a new campaign. You can create your own races. Competitive events are fun as hell and don't all revolve around racing, you have stunt competitions, road rage (which was basically a violent tag your it with cars) and other modes. You have imo, perfect car handling while still maintaining a noticeable control difference between cars. Different boost styles reward different styles of play. They were among the first devs to add custom soundtrack and screenshot support to the PS3. They had an in-game messaging system you could access long before in-game XMB was a thing. Easy Drive remains the most seamless and innovative menu system ever, with true seamless online/offline switching, and car switching, music track switching and restarting races ALL without having to stop your car or see a load screen. Open ended racing rewards map exploration. Collectables help the player learn shortcuts and the like all across the map. Online cooperative challenges were not only the most fun I've had in video games, but helped me at least to foster what has become lifelong friendships. When my friend and I were stuck on DSL, this was the only game that worked FLAWLESSLY. No lag, no disconnects, crystal clear voice chat, a testament to the game's online infrastructure. They had what felt like at the time, infinite paint combinations for most cars, allowing you to make your car truly your own. This was everything modern gaming COULD be. Gaming Perfection. Fuck the haters.

Also, everything I just listed is just what made it into the game, read up on what got cut, and I'll leave you something to imagine.
Bro that's not even the best Burnout game.

Behold your master.

ps2_burnout_3_take_down-110214.jpg

wvnative

Bro that's not even the best Burnout game.

Behold your master.

ps2_burnout_3_take_down-110214.jpg

I go back to both of these regularly. Burnout 3 is indeed awesome. I'll admit it has a better soundtrack than paradise and better crashes. They are both amazing in their own ways, I just give a tiny edge to Paradise.

Morbid

Banned
I go back to both of these regularly. Burnout 3 is indeed awesome. I'll admit it has a better soundtrack than paradise and better crashes. They are both amazing in their own ways, I just give a tiny edge to Paradise.

I don't feel the open world aspect really did Burnout any favours, Burnout 3's tracks were perfectly crafted, with the change to open world the races didn't flow anywhere near as well.

TBH this is a problem with many open world racers, and is why I prefer NFS Underground 1 to 2.

wvnative

I don't feel the open world aspect really did Burnout any favours, Burnout 3's tracks were perfectly crafted, with the change to open world the races didn't flow anywhere near as well.

TBH this is a problem with many open world racers, and is why I prefer NFS Underground 1 to 2.

It was a different type of game I feel that put more emphasis on the driving aspect than the racing aspect which honestly was another aspect that imo really set Paradise apart. The open world really helped foster modes like stunt race and cops and robbers and road rage and the co-op challenges. Just dicking around for hours in free roam was unlike anything else i'd experienced at the time. Still think the racing is great though.

Top Bottom