• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Complete Edition announced

Elandyll

Banned
I guess this means no more DLC...

Really cool cover though.
Well, Zero Dawn 2 isn't going to make itself really.
Specially for a PS5 launch title in November 2019 :)

Already have the game (my 2017 goty), looking forward to the Dlc on December 5th!

So tired of this trend.

Base Game - Released
DLC - Released a month later

COMPLETE GOTY EDITION - Released 6 months later

Horizon and Nioh are both guilty of this.

DLTkQt0WkAAnR2A.jpg
I like how the dino on the right is like “Ooy, the ‘ell she doin’ up there, bruv?” And the left one is like “Forget ‘er mate, we got robot shit goin’ on.”

Great cover. Love how the robot looks up to Aloy.

Might get this instead of the DLC depending on its price. But a CE already? Too soony man.

Zero315

Banned
So tired of this trend.

Base Game - Released

Horizon came out in February, the DLC is coming out in November, and the complete edition is in December. The DLC is almost 9 months after the game released and the complete edition is almost 10, so idk what you're even talking about.

Jagsrock

Banned
It looks like she's mufasa looking down on her kingdom. "Everything the light touches will be yours robo little foot"
Pure cheese.

Excited to finally finish the game tho.

So tired of this trend.

Base Game - Released

Not sure why this is such a bad thing to you. Nothing forces you to buy the game at launch. Nothing forces you to buy the DLC either. If you buy both then awesome, you get both and you don't have to wait. If you wait then awesome, you save $25 and get the complete edition.

You're talking about $25 difference between playing it 10 months early and waiting.

Stop making this out to be more than it is.

muteki

Would be perfect to finally pick this up when I have the time to play it.

I like the other cover better though.

On Demand

Banned
When waiting pays off.

This and RE7 gold edition in December. RE7 i'm most happy the box gets rid of the ugly PSVR advertisement.

It's a shame people can't see the point I'm trying to make due to exact dates not being applied.

Games release, then release DLC and then release COMPLETE Edition well within 12 months of the base game's release. This wasn't entirely aimed at Horizon, which I even said. Nioh has done the same thing, for example.

To me this just comes across as content removed to be added as DLC, so publishers can effectively charge you twice (maybe in three times) for one IP (Base+DLC (+Complete/GOTY)). However, judging by people's 'LOL' replies, I'm guessing I'm the only one that feels this way so whatever.

Venture

Really looking forward to Frozen Wilds but I might just wait and get this instead since it's only a month later. Unless it turns out the DLC isn't included on the disc.

It's a shame people can't see the point I'm trying to make due to exact dates not being applied.

Games release, then release DLC and then release COMPLETE Edition well within 12 months of the base game's release. This wasn't entirely aimed at Horizon, which I even said. Nioh has done the same thing, for example.

To me this just comes across as content removed to be added as DLC, so publishers can effectively charge you twice (maybe in three times) for one IP (Base+DLC (+Complete/GOTY)). However, judging by people's 'LOL' replies, I'm guessing I'm the only one that feels this way so whatever.

Why would you buy the Complete Edition if you already own the release edition? It is geared for people that didn't buy it yet and it hits the holiday buying period.

If you buy it twice that is your fault.

EDIT - Also, the DLC is out in November, 9 months after release. They didn't hold anything back from original release.

Not Drake

Sweet cover. I sold my copy of the game after I finished it, but I'll pick it up again along the DLC somewhere down the line.

So tired of this trend.

Base Game - Released

#altfacts

mejin

Neither Horizon or Nioh fit this description. Maybe that's the problem.

Then wait from now on.

stryke

There's a very big difference between 1 month and 9 months. If you want to make a point, get your numbers right.

Or show proof that GG purposefully withheld this "removed content" for fucking 8 months just so they can sell it to us later. Go on, we're waiting.

How long do you think it takes to make these DLCs? When you already have all the assets of the main game ready to build off, it's not like it's going to take two years after the game launches to make an expansion. Having separate paid DLC ready for launch or very shortly afterward is another story, but we're talking about an expansion released nine months after launch here. And considering that the original game wasn't lacking in content at all, I really don't share your feeling here.

fatherKratos

Neo Member
Great!! This, Nioh & Resident Evil 7, all three I wanted to play but cudnt bcoz of time constraints. Will be buying complete edition for all of them.

I already own Horizon. I'm not buying this. I will just get the DLC separately.

Guerrilla's gone above and beyond in post-launch support *and* launched the game in a tremendously complete and polished state. This isn't a case of initial buyers playing the beta, and it's very clearly not a case of the DLC being content removed from the game (I'm sure some of it is stuff that was scrapped at some point during development, but it's also pretty clear that they didn't start working on the DLC until after the initial game came out and was a smashing success).

Nothing was held back hell i bet they didn't even start the dlc till after the release. Within 3 months is a different story but 9 months come on man, also they didn't announce anything related to dlc till after the game shipped.

How long do you think it takes to make these DLCs? When you already have all the assets of the main game ready to build off, it's not like it's going to take two years after the game launches to make an expansion. Having separate paid DLC ready for launch or very shortly afterward is another story, but we're talking about an expansion released nine months after launch here. And considering that the original game wasn't lacking in content at all, I really don't share your feeling here.

First thanks for the decent reply.

I mean that's fair enough, and I can't stress that this wasn't entirely aimed at Horizon, but I can see why people will think it is since it's in a thread about it. Perhaps I've got it wrong on Horizon, but in general I still feel the same way. The push to get 'DLC' out and then a 'Complete GOTY' version to extend the life of a game is becoming shorter and shorter, and far too common.

Horizon Complete Edition
Nioh Complete
RE7 'Gold'

Granted if this is a BIG expansion and not a 15-20 minute fluff piece then fair play.

Socivol

I agree with this with stuff like UMVC3 but not with Horizon. Horizon is a pretty damn complete game as it is. It's so cohesive and complete I actually wonder how they will cohesively integrate the Frozen Wilds into the story.

I mean that's fair enough, and I can't stress that this wasn't entirely aimed at Horizon, but I can see why people will think it is since it's in a thread about it. Perhaps I've got it wrong on Horizon, but in general I still feel the same way. The push to get 'DLC' out and then a 'Complete GOTY' version to extend the life of a game is becoming shorter and shorter, and far too common.

Horizon Complete Edition
Nioh Complete
RE7 'Gold'

Granted if this is a BIG expansion and not a 15-20 minute fluff piece then fair play.

It's honestly been pretty common for a while - see the longtime phenonemon of the 'game of the year edition.' Devs generally want to reserve about a 1-year timeline for DLC (while people still have copies of the game and haven't traded it in) and release a 'game of the year'/'complete' edition while it's still fresh in the minds of consumers, then move on to developing the next game.

Con Con

Ha, Aloy looks like Mufasa ghost from Lion King.

Anyway, I can't wait for frozen wilds. Just bought a 4K tv with HDR so I'm gearing up to replay the whole game again.

Horizon Complete Edition
Nioh Complete
RE7 'Gold'

I'll counter this by saying that internet culture has made it harder for single-player focused games to stay relevant for that long. It's literally like one or two weeks after release that you'll see people discussing what should be in a sequel for a game like this. It certainly doesn't help that GaaS titles have frequent updates that keep the conversation going.

I'm really glad that Sony/Guerilla took this approach, as it will likely bring Horizon back into consideration for folks getting a PS4 this fall. I don't view it as them stripping out content, they're just smartly planning releases. Nintendo is doing the same thing with BoTW.

Yeah, perhaps I picked the wrong thread to air my jaded attitude in. It also allows them to extended the price point of the game in some ways too, buffing it back to $60 (which I guess discounts the DLC). Anyway, enjoy your game folks!

This release will have an MSRP of $50, so it's $10 less than buying the vanilla game. Not trying to call you out, just correcting the info for new people in this thread.

It's honestly been pretty common for a while - see the longtime phenonemon of the 'game of the year edition.' Devs generally want to reserve about a 1-year timeline for DLC (while people still have copies of the game and haven't traded it in) and release a 'game of the year'/'complete' edition while it's still fresh in the minds of consumers, then move on to developing the next game.

Yeah, perhaps I picked the wrong thread to air my jaded attitude in. It also allows them to extended the price point of the game in some ways too, buffing it back to $60 (which I guess discounts the DLC). Anyway, enjoy your game folks!

I'll counter this by saying that internet culture has made it harder for single-player focused games to stay relevant for that long. It's literally like one or two weeks after release that you'll see people discussing what should be in a sequel for a game like this. It certainly doesn't help that GaaS titles have frequent updates that keep the conversation going.

But I like games I can finish in 10 hours/a week or two. I don't want all games to be GaaS where I need to invest a day of the week for 52 weeks to progress in, I just don't have the time. I like to sit when I can and immerse myself in a world without the feeling that I'm not progressing quick enough before the reset (Destiny 2, Diablo seasons, etc). But I see what you're saying, publishers have to find ways to keep their IP relevant in a culture where you're the game of the week and done (you see this a lot on twitch where the top game outside of MOBOs, WoW, PUBG changes weekly as the top streamers chase after the next 'big release'). I just wish there were others ways to do it, although in fairness I can just wait and buy the GOTY cheap a few months later anyway.

Top Bottom