• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America says Metroid Prime 4 and "new Pokemon game" are 2018 titles

Shiggy

Reggie Fils-Aimé said:
The response to what we've showcased, and it really is just a small tip for 2018, has been exceptionally positive. You've got fans seeing Metroid Prime 4, hearing that Mr. Tanabe, who's been involved in all of the Metroid Prime games, is going to be at the helm of that, the fans are tremendously excited. To hear that there's going to be a core Pokémon RPG experience on the Nintendo Switch, the fans are incredibly excited.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...ins-why-they-didnt-focus-on-indie-games-at-e3

Now Reggie is also hinting at both MP4 and Pokemon being part of their 2018 lineup.

NSESN

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...ins-why-they-didnt-focus-on-indie-games-at-e3

Now Reggie is also hinting at both MP4 and Pokemon being part of their 2018 lineup.

Make me wonder if Pokemon Switch will be a new gen or S/M 3

Be still my beating heart.

I wonder when we're going to see our first glimpse of Prime 4? The VGAs? A direct in 2017/2018? Later?

It's hard to tell with Nintendo.

I still don't believe in 2018.

Knowing Geoff I think he might be able to pull off Metroid prime for VGA's. Pokemon should be announced next year at around the same time USUM was this year.

Lynd7

If Prime 4 is Xmas 2018, maybe the logo only reveal wasn't because they didn't have anything yet. I could see a trailer dropping in another big Direct around August/September then.

KingBroly

Banned
They have 3 games announced for 2018 that we've seen nothing of: Fire Emblem, Pokemon and Metroid Prime 4

There are 2 games announced for 2018 that we have seen footage of: Yoshi and Kirby

Perhaps the latter 2 are early 2018, BUT it'd be a terrible mistake for Nintendo to release 2 2D platformers really close together like that on the same platform. So I think 1 will come later, meaning I don't think 2 of the first 3 games I mentioned are making it next year.

Fire Emblem will likely be a fall 2018, worldwide launch.

NSESN

Nintendo don't like to show games until they are somewhat playable. The only exception to this rule is Zelda. Even things like TMS was only shown as a concept.

They have 3 games announced for 2018 that we've seen nothing of: Fire Emblem, Pokemon and Metroid Prime 4

There are 2 games announced for 2018 that we have seen footage of: Yoshi and Kirby

Perhaps the latter 2 are early 2018, BUT it'd be a terrible mistake for Nintendo to release 2 2D platformers really close together like that on the same platform. So I think 1 will come later, meaning I don't think 2 of the first 3 games I mentioned are making it next year.

There's also Pinkmin 4/Reboot that we don't know nothing about.

NeonZ

I have serious reasons to believe Pokemon actually just started development between April and June, and so will be a 2019 title.

https://youtu.be/vB8EskmscKg

In this interview (at 1:28), Masuda states that they don't know what to do with the Switch (regarding Pokémon). He mentions that at first he thought that people were going to use it mostly as a home console, but he was surprised to see people taking it with them, and wasn't quite sure who the main audience of Switch was. He even asks the interviewer how he uses his own Switch, and seems very surprised when he mentions that he always brings it with him on the train.

Unless Masuda is blatantly lying, I think until recently they were undecided on the future of the franchise, but they finally decided to embrace the Switch (or Nintendo just told them they are not planning a 3DS successor)

There was that hiring ad for a worldwide popular RPG for home consoles from Gamefreak though.

https://www.destructoid.com/game-fr...based-on-a-globally-popular-rpg--426223.phtml

I'm thinking: Fire Emblem: Summer Pokemon: September, Metroid: Holiday

AGITΩ

If True, Nintendo is really killing it with that First Party output on Switch for Year 1 and Year 2 already. Now if only third parties would get the memo...
Though I gotta say, I'm still reluctant on Pokemon Switch for Next year. I really feel they forced that announcement on the E3 show just because they realized how salty people where from the Direct the previous week. I heavily poured salt on myself.

Nintendo has been going for short announcement to release schedules for a while now, probably since that infamous January 2013 Wii U Direct. Probably partly because of that Direct too.

I googled that video after reading your post...and my god, what a mess. I can already iamgine the GAF reactions and live commentary when that thing first went online. That was...something.

RIP to Iwata though :(

I googled that video after reading your post...and my god, what a mess. I can already iamgine the GAF reactions and live commentary when that thing first went online. That was...something.

RIP to Iwata though :(

The entirety of Nintendo's effort to make the Wii U a thing can be summed up as "A complete and utter mess, but Splatoon and Mario Maker though"

If this is real, Miyamoto wasn't screwing around when he said Nintendo 'Mastered' the Unreal Engine huh?

I'd imagine they'd be using it as a blueprint to make their own tools (to add capabilities) and using it for games that need a speedier development time like in this case.

Good to see all hands on board with the Switch though. Iwata's planning and investments have paid off well so far.

If this is real, Miyamoto wasn't screwing around when he said Nintendo 'Mastered' the Unreal Engine huh?

I'd imagine they'd be using it as a blueprint to make their own tools (to add capabilities) and using it for games that need a speedier development time like in this case.

Good to see all hands on board with the Switch though. Iwata's planning and investments have paid off well so far.

We don't know what engine they are using yet. For Prime 4, there's probably a decent chance they are using a modified version of Retro's engine.

There's zero footage or info about Fire Emblem Switch for 2018. But that was announced with just a logo in January and no one doubts that's coming. The common theme between the two games? They have other entries in their franchises coming this year.

Also, when has a Metroid game ever been delayed? I honestly don't know. As has been repeated quite a bit here, Zelda is pretty much the only series that constantly has delays, and it hasn't even been every 3D Zelda. Nintendo in general rarely, rarely ever delays games.

It's certainly possible. It's also possible they're using UE4 which would greatly speed up development though probably make it harder to maintain 60fps. But with Nintendo's announcement to release schedule lately it certainly could be coming in 2018.

Yep, exactly. Everyone claimed it was super rough and there's no way it's from a real game releasing anytime soon.

Nintendo has been going for short announcement to release schedules for a while now, probably since that infamous January 2013 Wii U Direct. Probably partly because of that Direct too.

Well Xenoblade X was delayed quite a bit which is why no one believe chronicles 2 is coming this year. But with that exception and zelda, nintendo is usually done well before their titles release.

hatchx

Banned
I really don't think metroid will make it next year. It doesn't sound like it's been in development for even 9 months. I thought it was heavily indicated development had just began (or am I wrong)

Next year will be yoshi, Kirby, retro's game and pikmin 4 alongside wiiU ports of smash bros and Mario maker (and maybe others like DK:TF and Bayonetta2) metroid prime 4 and Pokemon are 2019 games. This is my guess.

Zedark

I really don't think metroid will make it next year. It doesn't sound like it's been in development for even 9 months. I thought it was heavily indicated development had just began (or am I wrong)

Next year will be yoshi, Kirby, retro's game and pikmin 4 alongside wiiU ports of smash bros and Mario maker (and maybe others like DK:TF and Bayonetta2) metroid prime 4 and Pokemon are 2019 games. This is my guess.
Don't think we know that. As far as I know all that is deduced from "now in development", which is quite uncertain evidence. Tanabe had been talking about Prime 4 since June 2015, so it's possible they already started then, and are, as a result, able to release in 2018.

Heyt

Banned
The 2018 Switch lineup they are hinting is just as strong as 2017's... Kirby, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Pikmin 4, Mainline Pokemon and Metroid Prime 4... hope they are able to pull it off!

JoeM86

The issue with Pokémon here is that people are trying to fit Pokémon into their views of Nintendo schedules, and disregard how The Pokémon Company actually plots things out.

I will be incredibly surprised if we get a new Pokémon generation next year on Switch

Forkball

If they are really putting a Pokemon game on Switch next year, I bet it's just Pokemon Stars. AKA another Sun/Moon. It sort of makes sense because UltraMoon and UltraSun are being billed as an "alternate story" and Stars maybe ties everything together or is a direct sequel. They already have all the assets and people have already bumped them up to 1080p. It would also technically be a "core Pokemon RPG".

Don't think we know that. As far as I know all that is deduced from "now in development", which is quite uncertain evidence. Tanabe had been talking about Prime 4 since June 2015, so it's possible they already started then, and are, as a result, able to release in 2018.

He took over three years to make Federation Force. It's probably going to take 4 or 5 to make Prime 4.

Heyt

Banned
The issue with Pokémon here is that people are trying to fit Pokémon into their views of Nintendo schedules, and disregard how The Pokémon Company actually plots things out.

I will be incredibly surprised if we get a new Pokémon generation next year on Switch

So you are expecting a remake or an extension of the S/M generation right?

Roo

I mean, it's completely possible Metroid Prime 4 is a late 2018 game but let's not forget Nintendo is no stranger to delay a game if a) it's not ready yet or b) its release prevents a long drought between other major releases.

So far, outside of Zelda (which was mostly due to being a cross platform game), they've been doing a nice job with the release schedule of their games so I really hope Metroid is a Holiday 2018 one. We'll see.

I don't see Metroid Prime 4 first footage being revealed in a Direct. It deserves something bigger like the VGA's. Geoff would make sure he can get it if it exists.

JoeM86

So you are expecting a remake or an extension of the S/M generation right?

No, because they wouldn't jump device mid-generation

I'm expecting nothing in 2018, a Mystery Dungeon Switch game at most, but 2019 will be the main game

goldage

Banned
its about time nintendo focus on metroid prime again

imagine they had nurtured the series and gave it a bigger budget and fleshed it out with more features/modes that are modern, sure it wasn't likely to be as big as games like cod but im sure with shooters being the epitome of market for so many years now, metroid prime has the potential to be up there

its also a series that has selling points as 2d or 3d, theres so much potential in this ip

i cant think of another nintendo ip that use to sell big in many games but then got ditched creatively

to think its a nostalgic main staple amongst the likes of zelda/mario just adds more salt to the wound

takriel

No, because they wouldn't jump device mid-generation

I'm expecting nothing in 2018, a Mystery Dungeon Switch game at most, but 2019 will be the main game
Yeah, 2019 sounds most likely. That will give them enough time to prepare the first HD generation.

goldage

Banned
pokemon is definitely 2018

metroid could be, just depends on when development started, considering they've basically developed nothing for the wii u for the last few years, i dont doubt that metroid has been in dev for a long time.

they're most likely just holding back footage for later, no need to start the hype machine yet when its coming out next year, same reason for pokemon switch

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
2018 seems too soon for Gen 8 or another Alola game.
Potentially 5 Alola based games within the span of 3 years is just overkill.

If we are getting one, I hedge my bets on a Red/Blue sequel. There's a ton of foreshadowing, and the series' first home console adventure being Kanto would be very fitting, not to mention it'd add even more to the hype.

Still got me doubts though, they do have year breaks and 2018 seems like a prime time for it to happen.

2018 seems too soon for Gen 8 or another Alola game.
Potentially 5 Alola based games within the span of 3 years is just overkill.

If we are getting one, I hedge my bets on a Red/Blue sequel. There's a ton of foreshadowing, and the series' first home console adventure being Kanto would be very fitting, not to mention it'd add even more to the hype.

Still got me doubts though, they do have year breaks and 2018 seems like a prime time for it to happen.

I'm definitely thinking something like Pokemon XD that doesn't add new monsters, but then add in the multiplayer hooks from the handhelds.

A Red/Blue sequel could work if they use an "Alola variants" style mechanic to fix the type balance issues with Gen 1. Maybe a game where you investigate the origins of Mewtwo, and there are other genetically engineered Pokemon variants in the labs?

JoeM86

I'm definitely thinking something like Pokemon XD that doesn't add new monsters, but then add in the multiplayer hooks from the handhelds.

A Red/Blue sequel could work if they use an "Alola variants" style mechanic to fix the type balance issues with Gen 1. Maybe a game where you investigate the origins of Mewtwo, and there are other genetically engineered Pokemon variants in the labs?

XD was a spin-off, not a main game though. Game Freak only develop main games and having it jump console mid-generation is not how Game Freak work

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well

Fire emblem
Pikmin
Pokemon
Yoshi
Kirby
Metroid

If this will pan out, maybe with retro game and smash 4 DX. .

Would be one he'll of a year for a Nintendo home console

Son Of D

Yoshi - Jan or Feb
Kirby - April or May
FE - October
Pokemon - November
MP4 - December

Random guesses and assuming no delays.

Metroid Prime 4 will not be 2018.

cobble together a game like MP in 1 1/2 years?!

It's not illogical to assume Tanabe started work on the game shortly after FF released in August last year. So if it releases in late 2018 that would be around two years. But still, there is NO WAY they will complete Prime 4 in two years, considering it took over three to make FF. I just don't see how this game will make it out before mid 2019 at the earliest, and a delay to 2020 would not surprise me one bit. Unless of course, the game was being developed in conjunction with FF and has actually been in development for a while... It doesn't really seem that way though.

XD was a spin-off, not a main game though. Game Freak only develop main games and having it jump console mid-generation is not how Game Freak work

A lot of your arguments seem to be based on the idea that the unprecedented cannot happen. If we don't use this logic, is there any other reason a generation couldn't span two consoles?

Chauzu

A lot of your arguments seem to be based on the idea that the unprecedented cannot happen. If we don't use this logic, is there any other reason a generation couldn't span two consoles?

The biggest hurdle is lack of seamless connectivity betseen 3DS and Switch. We know they can connect online due to MH XX, but locally probably not. Is this an issue? Only Game Freak knows.

Is there a reason for Game Freak to break precedent? The most obvious one is lack of backwards compability between 3DS and Switch, which is unprecedented for Nintendo. Is it an issue that you can't play 3DS Pokémon games on Switch? Only Game Freak knows.

Precedent defo supports no Pokémon on Switch until 2019, but if precedent gets broken, it won't be hard to justify why.

Kinyou

The games are almost ready and all they did was a logo reveal? Hell, afaik did the Pokémon game not even get that

Top Bottom