• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends coming to Xbox 360/PS3, all versions releasing in September

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Maddening that you kept going back to this, and trying to have it both ways. The game was done in exactly the manner the devs, Ubi, and how everyone else discussed it being *done*. Of course it wasn't submitted when they finished it in Jan, it's not coming out til September. End of. You're attempting to subvert what we're discussing for the pure sake of being *right* about something silly you said a page or so back, and that none of us bought into. Get over it or move on, this is only coming up now because your dragging it up. No-one is under the impression Ubi had submitted it to Nintendo. We understand why. This is not insider info or a surprise. Cheers though.

I precise the info because some people are distorting what was said into something else. And you give me some weird goals, i was just adding to the conversation that the game hasn't hit submissions process, it's an interesting info considering i've read in both topics A LOT of people believing the game was pressed, or at least "gold" (an example on this very page here), which it wasn't.

Jeez, talk about over-reaction :p

NotLiquid

Well, they don't even need to read these reactions, as their own employees are vocal against this decision.

I think an employee can say a lot of things but ultimately it's a consumer practice they're taking here, and consumer-wise this has been a complete PR nightmare for them on every front. The fact that the developer's words themselves has gotten into public light is only going to look worse on them.

That and the consumers are generally more aware to understand it isn't just a reasoning of "hey we need more time to work on the game" , so it isn't doing their choices on this game many favors and I really hope they understand such. It's better to make noise about it than be quiet.

Well, i'm sorry but the submission process + production is a part of a game development in my view, so it wasn't ready by definition. There's is a sizable period between end of content development and being ready to hit the shelves.

People working at Ubi knew since January that the game wouldn't be ready for the scheduled date, as the executives haven't greenlighted the submission process at the time.

Now of course, in terms of content, the game was surely done. This story is a real pity.

Hi IdeaMan :)

This makes it even worse, in my mind because as I've mentioned in multiple threads, they've had to know this for a while and instead of announcing it sooner they waited until a mere 2 weeks before release. While I would have still been upset, it makes it worse that they wait until the last minute, when it was clear they knew sooner, to announce the delay.

Ubisoft has handled this entire situation about as poorly as possible, IMO.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Hi IdeaMan :)

This makes it even worse, in my mind because as I've mentioned in multiple threads, they've had to know this for a while and instead of announcing it sooner they waited until a mere 2 weeks before release. While I would have still been upset, it makes it worse that they wait until the last minute, when it was clear they knew sooner, to announce the delay.

Ubisoft has handled this entire situation about as poorly as possible, IMO.

Hey Deuce :)

Well, this is why i shared this info, because it's somewhat new. If we cross-read it with the other declarations from Ubi employees (game CONTENT being finished around the first-half of January), then i think it's safe to say the higher-ups were taking their decisions and hold their greenlight to send the build to submission around the same time. They could have warned us since roughly one month. Or they were hesitating all January until this recent announcement to do it.

This late reveal + all the hype-building months prior to Wii U launch, constitute an understandable very bitter mix for players, the uproar is normal.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well, reading through the last pages and remembering some old posts, at list I am happy that Watch Dogs will come to Wii U. :p

deviljho

All you people who keep posting about what "done" means and pressing the issue with IdeaMan... lol, give it a break.

Nit picking how other people see things is clearly missing the forest for the trees. IdeaMan hasn't expressed anything other than "there's more logistical work to be done" and isn't using that to justify Ubisoft's latest decisions. Regardless of what all may think, had Ubisoft wanted to release the game, it would not hit stores before it was ready and physically possible. If that means Feb 26 or April 30th.

Of course, now we know that it actually will be in September.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
To add to my post quite a few posts back, I have to say that I am going to love seeing this game bomb hard, just to spite Ubisoft.

I loved Origins, and I've played the Wii U demo numerous times to show off the game.

However, tailoring to fans of two systems, who are going to choose GTA V over Rayman, while shunning the Wii U fans by delaying a completed game, is going to be one massive shot in the foot for Ubisoft.

They will realize their idiotic failure, when retribution comes for them in the form of fans shunning them, like they shunned fans. Oh, the irony.

They could have just released the Wii U version early, like games release early on other consoles, but no. They want to pull this kind of move and make people wait for a completed product.

It's going to be so funny seeing where this ends up on the NPD once released. They say they care about the fans, but are not thinking of the Wii U fans at all, only the 360/PS3 fans who will only have 65 dollars to spend. Where are they spending it? GTA V!

What system will this end up selling best on, because it doesn't have GTA V? Wii U. It should have just stayed exclusive.

Down with Ubisoft's and their need for greed.

Buy it used. Publishers still get money if you buy it new.

Sigh...so tired of telling people the sky is blue. Publishers get their money no matter where or how you buy it. They were paid for a used copy the exact same amount that they were paid for a new copy.

If you're really looking to "screw" the publisher by buying the game and having the least amount of money go to them, buy the game from the biggest retailer you can, new, at the lowest price you can.

Here's why: retailers generally pay ~$48 for a $60 MSRP game, and in most cases, it's a done deal - if they sell it for $20, they just lost $28. But a big retailer may have a more favorable deal, where the publisher has to share in that loss, and refund some of the original wholesale purchase - in other words, they eat the $28 markdown (or even more) so the retailer at least breaks even.

To add to my post quite a few posts back, I have to say that I am going to love seeing this game bomb hard, just to spite Ubisoft.

I loved Origins, and I've played the Wii U demo numerous times to show off the game.

However, tailoring to fans of two systems, who are going to choose GTA V over Rayman, while shunning the Wii U fans by delaying a completed game, is going to be one massive shot in the foot for Ubisoft.

They will realize their idiotic failure, when retribution comes for them in the form of fans shunning them, like they shunned fans. Oh, the irony.

They could have just released the Wii U version early, like games release early on other consoles, but no. They want to pull this kind of move and make people wait for a completed product.

It's going to be so funny seeing where this ends up on the NPD once released. They say they care about the fans, but are not thinking of the Wii U fans at all, only the 360/PS3 fans who will only have 65 dollars to spend. Where are they spending it? GTA V!

What system will this end up selling best on, because it doesn't have GTA V? Wii U. It should have just stayed exclusive.

Ahahahahahaha.

im0zN7eCKkZO7.gif

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't get the line of thinking that no one will get Rayman due to GTA V.

Two completely different games that'll more than likely attract different audiences.

A specific date hasn't been said yet either. For all we know, Rayman could come out during the first week of September... two weeks before GTA V.

Someone pointed out to me that Microsoft had (and might still have) a policy preventing a multiplatform release from getting released earlier (or with more content?) on another system. Ubisoft might be slightly less at fault if this is the case...

True. What's more amusing is that Ubisoft can't simply burn/scrub the Miiverse, although I'm sure Nintendo moderators will prevent it from getting TOO out of hand...

If it exists then it hasn't stopped Razor's Edge from being released in a few months time.

FACE

Banned

i6ebggCJk5UOK.gif

ibilgV70caJSGO.gif

Vio-Lence

Banned

well said amigo. you have my hammer.

FLAguy954

I don't get the line of thinking that no one will get Rayman due to GTA V.

Two completely different games that'll more than likely attract different audiences.

A specific date hasn't been said yet either. For all we know, Rayman could come out during the first week of September... two weeks before GTA V.

The audience doesnt matter at the end, its all about this little thing called mindshare. Rayman had plenty of mindshare this month. In September, I can guarantee you it wont have as much mindshare as it does now. Also, the bad publicity surrounding the title has rendered rayman's mindshare to 'buried' status.

Just a quick example, lets talk about sly 4. This game came out in a month where, if marketed correctly, it would of had a great opportunity to gain mindshare, in a month with relatively no high profile titles. Instead, it was marketed incorrectly (ie minimally) and therefore the sales will suffer as a directly result. It isnt a difficult concept to grasp :/.

Massa

The sad part is that the game will now bombed even harder....

Not even on the Wii U will the game sell worse in September, let alone on the two platforms that will represent the bulk of its sales.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rayman Legends in Sep. does better than every single Wii U game in February combined.

Sure Ubisoft management handheld this terribly, but their decision will lead to better sales.

FLAguy954

Not even on the Wii U will the game sell worse in September, let alone on the two platforms that will represent the bulk of its sales.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rayman Legends in Sep. does better than every single Wii U game in February combined.

Sure Ubisoft management handheld this terribly, but their decision will lead to better sales.

Hahaha no it won't but you can continue to be delusional :p.

DaBoss

Not hard to do when there aren't any.

Better than a digital release of FoTNS and a late as hell port of Fluidity? It'll do that easily if it releases as scheduled. Even with no marketing.

So Ideaman, what, late April at the latest? If true, shouldn't change how folks feel about it in the slightest.

They just got a crapload of free press, not sure it'd sell any better if they just went forward with release.

Hahaha no it won't but you can continue to be delusional :p.

Agreed. What kind of fool would think a game could possibly do better on PS3 and 360 than the WiiU? They only have a combined install base of 150+ million, that's nothing.

He's not delusional at all. You are.

now no Rayman or rayman related stuff for smash brothers wii u :(

thanks a lot ubisoft

haha miiverse is gold for stuff like this, and since the next playstation and xbox might have this, any type of bad PR and news will be amazing

I have to say, that Miiverse stuff is mostly just sad.

I also don't see GTAV eating this games sales. It's not the ideal time to launch, but the games are worlds apart.

I've been off the internet since this news broke, so I'm only reading it now.

I have Rayman pre-ordered for Wii U and I have no problem with the game coming to PS3 and 360 or any other platform.

Delaying the Wii U version is a real kick in the balls, Ubisoft. Bad form.

you know out of all this negative rayman press the great thing to come out of this is MIIverse it's really highlighting this area of nintendos online network

SmokeMaxX

Agreed. What kind of fool would think a game could possibly do better on PS3 and 360 than the WiiU? They only have a combined install base of 150+ million, that's nothing.

He's not delusional at all. You are.
How is that delusional? If people were going to get the game, they were going to get it. The only variable that changed is now Ubisoft pissed off people. Nobody was going to say "man I'm not getting that game because it came out on WiiU first!" However, people WILL say "man fuck Ubi for what they did; I'm not buying the game now."

Miiverse is the best thing Nintendo has done in years!

Yep, meltdowns in image form are even more delicious than the posts and internet surveys.

How is that delusional? If people were going to get the game, they were going to get it. The only variable that changed is now Ubisoft pissed off people. Nobody was going to say "man I'm not getting that game because it came out on WiiU first!" However, people WILL say "man fuck Ubi for what they did; I'm not buying the game now."

Yeah, because we all know that if people were interested in this game, they were definitely going to spend $350 to get it. Are you insane?

Look, I think this is a pretty bullshit situation. Ubisoft made a DUMB mistake making it exclusive in the first place and took way too long to figure that out. That is what I think is worth being annoyed about. Porting to PS3/360 and delaying the game? Not really, that's completely understandable to me.

Misguided

Banned

I assure you that more people bought Rayman Origins on 360/PS3/Steam than they did on Wii/DS. Nintendo does not own the market for platformers, it just kind of makes sense that Ubisoft would piss less people off by opening the market for this sequel to a relatively successful game.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Better than a digital release of FoTNS and a late as hell port of Fluidity? It'll do that easily if it releases as scheduled. Even with no marketing.

So Ideaman, what, late April at the latest? If true, shouldn't change how folks feel about it in the slightest.

They just got a crapload of free press, not sure it'd sell any better if they just went forward with release.

Well, at best, if they have a change of heart and decide to release it on Wii U before, they must pass the submission process, with luck just one round-trip will be enough, but more certainly two, then the production phase, so i would say... 1 month and half from now, a release in the second-half of March is possible if they make up their mind now.

Top Bottom