• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

matmanx1

I think the LC500 is amazing. Got to try it out not long ago. I don't think many people who want this car will take it to the tracks and everything. It's just a comfortable ride with some power behind it. It's definitely a grand tourer to leisurely drive around and listen to an awesome exhaust when you want. I guess it's similar to an Aston Martin but I've never driven one of those before.

The LC500 is the Japanese version of an Aston Martin. No surprise that it is designed to look and sound great over outright driving dynamics or performance metrics. If I was shopping for a sport luxury coupe in the 100 grand range I would absolutely give it a serious look.

Also, amazing pictures from the IAA show and it looks like I called the correct finishing order for the MT Driver's Car. Go me?

jamsy

Would anyone in the SF Bay Area be up for a drive around the bay sometime in the future?
I'm down! I usually like to do it early mornings on the weekends before the roads get clogged up.

Quick question - if you buy a used vehicle from a private seller, can you get away with paying minimal taxes? Like, if you buy a $25k car, can you get it to show as a $5k purchase when you register (provided the seller agrees)?

EDIT: I know there's a blue book value the DMV can look at, but what if you claim that it's a lemon and thus being sold for much cheaper than what it's supposed to be worth?

matmanx1

I went and watched some of the MT Best Diver's Car videos on Youtube and after viewing them I can see why the the 488GTB, 718 Cayman and 911 Turbo S were 1,2 and 3. The one that most surprised me was the Cayman. Having seen Lieberman's earlier review (which was positive but not glowing and in which he had some pretty pointed comments about the engine noise) I was not expecting that kind of effusive praise.

Considering the 911 Turbo S was every bit of 200 grand and the Ferrari even more a ~70 grand Cayman starts to sound like a fairly incredible performance bargain.

I went and watched some of the MT Best Diver's Car videos on Youtube and after viewing them I can see why the the 488GTB, 718 Cayman and 911 Turbo S were 1,2 and 3. The one that most surprised me was the Cayman. Having seen Lieberman's earlier review (which was positive but not glowing and in which he had some pretty pointed comments about the engine noise) I was not expecting that kind of effusive praise.

Considering the 911 Turbo S was every bit of 200 grand and the Ferrari even more a ~70 grand Cayman starts to sound like a fairly incredible performance bargain.

You're absolutely right. I think everyone is shocked. I'm shocked. I expected Top 5 among the 10 or so drivers they used to judge it every year, but 2nd was a shocker. The last episode with the Cayman S vs. Cayman GT4 was also an episode that moaned about the engine sound like 99% of other videos on YouTube.

But again, when you drive it, it's a fantastic car. If you love the 981, the 718 is better objectively in every way, except the engine sound. But regulations, emissions, progress, and whatnot, at the end of the day, it's still a fantastic driver's car.

Obviously, the 911 Turbo S and Ferrari 488 are amazing, too. They were obvious winners from the start.

Spotted another Model 3 within the past couple of days now. Rear 3/4 view takes a little time to grow on for me, but overall I like it.
9ueOO5N.jpg

eworDkg.jpg

Been forgetting to post these, but here are some pics from my SoCal trip a few months back.

Porsche Experience Center

My friends shop. Yes, that is one of the RUF CTR Yellowbird. A random 993 GT2 and an F40.

Petersen Museum. Too much craziness here, but my favorites were the Toyota 2000GT, Porsche 911 GT1, and FD RX7 Concept car.

Bonus: Charm of the Snake

So this week I decided to not drive like a grandma and use my GTI to it's full potential...

Lmao this thing is gonna get me in jail or at least a speeding ticket, and I still haven't gotten one after 10 years of driving.

*knocks on wood*

At a stop sign and going full throttle... fuuuuuuuuuuck.

This shit is absolute bananas.

I went and watched some of the MT Best Diver's Car videos on Youtube and after viewing them I can see why the the 488GTB, 718 Cayman and 911 Turbo S were 1,2 and 3.

I love how they uploaded the videos in the same order as their rankings.

I didn't even know they were doing this until recently but if I did, I'd probably be annoyed they ruined the surprise haha.

I think the LC500 is amazing. Got to try it out not long ago. I don't think many people who want this car will take it to the tracks and everything. It's just a comfortable ride with some power behind it. It's definitely a grand tourer to leisurely drive around and listen to an awesome exhaust when you want. I guess it's similar to an Aston Martin but I've never driven one of those before.

Yeah, everything I've read about it seems to point it as a GT car and that's perfectly fine imo. Hopefully Lexus does more cool shit in the future... specifically another LFA.

Futaba

So this week I decided to not drive like a grandma and use my GTI to it's full potential...

Lmao this thing is gonna get me in jail or at least a speeding ticket, and I still haven't gotten one after 10 years of driving.

*knocks on wood*

I suspect you would like my JZX quite a bit lol

In other news I'm thinking of downsizing the fleet a bunch, don't get to drive anywhere near as much as I'd like these days, a lot of business travel and long nights, may even downsize all the way back to just the dd and a project or two (second 86, GT4 and a kenmari maybe?).
Wife already sold her evo while I was out of the country last month, since she's after having a baby soon.

On the upside, If i sell the ones I don't use, that's a pile of cash with nothing better to do than go onto parts for the projects.. hmm

matmanx1

Spotted another Model 3 within the past couple of days now. Rear 3/4 view takes a little time to grow on for me, but overall I like it.

Been forgetting to post these, but here are some pics from my SoCal trip a few months back.

Porsche Experience Center

My friends shop. Yes, that is one of the RUF CTR Yellowbird. A random 993 GT2 and an F40.

Petersen Museum. Too much craziness here, but my favorites were the Toyota 2000GT, Porsche 911 GT1, and FD RX7 Concept car.

Bonus: Charm of the Snake

I like that color on the Model 3 and it has nice lines. Too bad about those wheels though. They look like they belong on a Segway.

*knocks on wood*

I love how they uploaded the videos in the same order as their rankings.

I didn't even know they were doing this until recently but if I did, I'd probably be annoyed they ruined the surprise haha.

Yeah, everything I've read about it seems to point it as a GT car and that's perfectly fine imo. Hopefully Lexus does more cool shit in the future... specifically another LFA.

Isn't it amazing how much performance you can get for the money these days? My humble 2008 MX-5 still manages to surprise and delight me pretty often (moreso with its balance and handling, but still) and like models are cheap as chips right now.

The GTI, WRX, GT86 and new MX-5 are all really, really good in the >$30k price bracket and are likely all most people would ever want or need in terms of performance on the street. Step up to the $40k bracket and you add stuff like the Mustang GT, Camaro SS, Focus RS and Civic Type R, all of which are pretty bonkers in at least a couple of categories. Again, more performance than most people would ever need but tons of fun for the dollar.

Spending more gets you more luxury and even more performance. The $50 - $60k bracket in particular has some serious, supercar like performance for the dollar. The Shelby GT350, the 718 Boxster and Cayman, the Audi RS3, CLA and GLA 45 AMG, BMW M2, etc. 60 grand is still a lot of money on a car but if you consider the performance capabilities it is still fairly mind boggling.

I say all that to say that there has never been a better time in history to be a sports car fan and I hope the golden age continues on for a while longer. It is definitely keeping me entertained and excited.

So I was in France the last two weeks, to ride one of my Buells for mile after deliciously deserted mile. If you want to see some pictures of that, visit the other thread.

But on the trip home, we saw this thing, which I do want to share here. To my surprise it sat in one of those open trucks. Considering the immense value, this seemed quite strange to me. There was also a 918 further up and what I believe was a yellow Laferrari. Though I can't entirely be sure about the latter, I had to concentrate on driving as well. Wonder what they were doing with them...

This was somewhere before Lyon coming up from the Provence and the Cote d'Azur.

So I was in France the last two weeks, to ride one of my Buells for mile after deliciously deserted mile. If you want to see some pictures of that, visit the other thread.

But on the trip home, we saw this thing, which I do want to share here. To my surprise it sat in one of those open trucks. Considering the immense value, this seemed quite strange to me. There was also a 918 further up and what I believe was a yellow Laferrari. Though I can't entirely be sure about the latter, I had to concentrate on driving as well. Wonder what they were doing with them...

Who transports a P1 and a 918 on an open container hauler?

Probably some stupid rich guy's private collection being hauled to a new house I'd imagine. Maybe a track somewhere but I doubt that.

Surprised they didn't have security, since from just 2 of those cars I wouldn't be shocked if that trailer was worth more than 10 million.

Probably some stupid rich guy's private collection being hauled to a new house I'd imagine. Maybe a track somewhere but I doubt that.

Surprised they didn't have security, since from just 2 of those cars I wouldn't be shocked if that trailer was worth more than 10 million.

Who transports a P1 and a 918 on an open container hauler?

Yeah, who transports those cars like that? Nice spotting though. Lol.

Thanks, and yeah, couldn't believe it either. I saw that car coming up in the distance and I was like 'wtf? It can't be.' But there must indeed have been in excess of 10m worth of cars on that truck.

v1lla21

There's a house I drive by every day and the owner has an older rolls Royce, I think, just chilling in the driveway all the time. Finally covered it up last weeks but there's days when I drive by and it's uncovered. Snapped a pic of it today so I'll post it later.

Ahh fuck I guess I didn't actually take the picture the second time I passed by when the cover was off.
y236Fcj_d.jpg

negitoro7

Anyone here owns a golf R? Any issues with it?

Me! Pick me! 😬

Have had my 2016 Lapiz Blue DSG R with Tech Pack (Canada) for almost two years now. Almost at 32,000 kms and she's been a treat. Love her more than I did Day 1 and that's even without adding any power. Have MSSKits Street springs, lighter wheels with Michelin PSS tires, aftermarket catback, S2T paddle replacements, MK7.5 LED tail lights, Oettinger spoiler. Next mod is an aftermarket thicker carbon steering wheel.

It's been really reliable and I drive it hard. Do have a 7 year extended warranty in case things go sour though. This is my second VW, I also had a MK6 GTI tuned to Stage 2. Besides a cylinder misfire, it was reliable too.

As a daily driver, I can't think of anything that would come close to giving me the level of satisfaction at this price point that the Golf R does. Only complaints are that I wish we got a sunroof on our North American Rs and that it would have on-throttle power oversteer with more rear-bias AWD but I knew that going in and bought it anyway.

The facelift MK7.5 R now has a 7 speed DSG box, LED lowbeams, virtual cockpit (not as nicely implemented as Audi's) and a gesture-control infotainment headunit.

Edit: forgot to mention: If you care about your paint, Lapiz Blue is an absolute NIGHTMARE to keep swirl-free. Mine's ceramic coated, I use proper wash and dry techniques, and I still have more scratches and swirls than I'd expect to. I had three black cars before this one and this colour isn't any easier.

ameratsu

^ Those paddle replacements are crazy expensive, wow. Not sure if I would part with 300 CAD for new paddles. They do look much better than the stick-on nonsense though.

Makki

Another R owner here reporting no issues. I have a manual 2016 Oryx with 10,000 miles and it still puts a smile on my face like it did new. I wish I could get a little more than 22 mpg average but its hard to stay off boost, that's my only complaint and kind of unfair considering what the car is.

I suspect you would like my JZX quite a bit lol

Have you posted pics of it before? If not, please do. If you have, do it anyway lol.

I say all that to say that there has never been a better time in history to be a sports car fan and I hope the golden age continues on for a while longer. It is definitely keeping me entertained and excited.

Yeah it sorta feels like we're in a golden age of performance cars again. I mean sure there isn't a 3000GT, RX-7 or Supra(let's face it the new NSX while cool isn't really remotely close to the NSX of yore) to keep everyone happy but you definitely won't be wrong to pick up anything these days.

Did you not spot these two cars following the trailer?

i804965.jpg

12+ hours pass and no F&F reference? Shame on y'all lol.

Anyone here owns a golf R? Any issues with it?

Not an R owner but my GTI has supposedly has R brakes and let me tell you, they shed brake dust like crazy. I've had my GTI for a total of 20 days and my rims are turning darker and darker each day lol. It doesn't help that the spokes are pizza size so they just naturally collect on top of it.

Speaking of which here's a pic with it's crazy neighbor:

negitoro7

^ Those paddle replacements are crazy expensive, wow. Not sure if I would part with 300 CAD for new paddles. They do look much better than the stick-on nonsense though.

It gets worse, I have the titanium blue ones. Let's just say I didn't get much of a discount and they were $419 USD regular price 😔.

negitoro7

Not an R owner but my GTI has supposedly has R brakes and let me tell you, they shed brake dust like crazy. I've had my GTI for a total of 20 days and my rims are turning darker and darker each day lol. It doesn't help that the spokes are pizza size so they just naturally collect on top of it.

Yup, they're known to be horrible for brake dust. Some of the local R guys have swapped out their pads for centric posi brake pads with great results.

I'm down! I usually like to do it early mornings on the weekends before the roads get clogged up.

I'm down for a bay area meet up

It looks like there's actually some interest in a drive in the Bay Area. Mostly from the SF Bay Area thread here on NeoGAF. If there's interest, I don't mind organizing a small meet up, drive, and lunch day with everyone.

If you're interested in a meet-up and drive in the South Bay, then just head over to the SF Bay Area thread:

SF Bay Area Thread, Post #3708

matmanx1

I find myself favoring grey and black wheels these days more and more not only because I like the way they look but I also like the way they hide brake dust. Dirty wheels are a pet peeve of mine and for a guy who likes to drive sports cars the way they are meant to be driven I tend to generate a lot of brake dust in the cars that I own. At least with a dark wheel it isn't as obvious.

Also, the MX-5 is probably the best sports car I've owned for not generating brake dust and making the wheels look like crap in short order. Probably because it is so light and requires so little brake pressure to stop the car.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I just met my new neighbor a few doors down. Holy shit, this guy is the MAN!

BMW M2 DCT
BMW M3 (E46)
BMW M3 (E36)
Porsche Boxster S MT (986)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro (2016)

And then an E46 330i for his son's DD, and an F30 328i for his wife's DD.

Craziest thing of all, the guy lost the lower part of his leg (below the knee) last year. And drives a stick shift with his titanium prosthetic. :|

They are from my old neighborhood in Queens, NY too - so we bonded pretty quick. He used to have a BMW 1M, SVT Terminator, and a horde of other cars.

Oh, and he bought a $500 Miata, fixed it up himself (he's an engineer) and sold it for $5000. He said he regrets selling it. High praise.

My front Brembos on my GT blow brake dust all over my wheels. I know the Camaro SS has the same issue with its Brembos.

I'm not sure if the brake dust issue is just a Brembo thing, but overall the performance upgrade from having them makes it worth it. Just gotta get used to regular cleaning... or having black wheels :).
Yeah it sorta feels like we're in a golden age of performance cars again. I mean sure there isn't a 3000GT, RX-7 or Supra(let's face it the new NSX while cool isn't really remotely close to the NSX of yore) to keep everyone happy but you definitely won't be wrong to pick up anything these days.
I agree. Don't sleep on the steal of the mid 90's though, the 1996 Mustang Cobra. $26,000 brand new for one, and could even keep up with the $40,000 Supra twin turbo.

fwoibles

Woop woop, visiting the Ferrari factory tomorrow. Hope I can get a few pictures but I wouldn't bet on it. There may be finally something interesting I could contribute :eek:

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Magazine twisty road supercar showdown shoot.

burgerdog

718 GTS
open.jpg

The new bumper design looks really good. Supposedly sounds a lot better, too. Come on, Porsche, make every 718 after this sound just as good even if it's not a GTS. I need those 981CS to go down.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
718 GTS
open.jpg

The new bumper design looks really good. Supposedly sounds a lot better, too. Come on, Porsche, make every 718 after this sound just as good even if it's not a GTS. I need those 981CS to go down.

Is it still a 4 banger? Or boxer?

Stinkles

Looks more 911-y than before, in a good way. And not enough love is being professed for the 959 near the top of the page.

Porsche's best unicorn by a country mile. And actually way ahead of its time. Lots of things in that car are now defaults. If it were made now it would have electric motors too.

My boss owns one.

Bandit1

There's a house I drive by every day and the owner has an older rolls Royce, I think, just chilling in the driveway all the time. Finally covered it up last weeks but there's days when I drive by and it's uncovered. Snapped a pic of it today so I'll post it later.

Ahh fuck I guess I didn't actually take the picture the second time I passed by when the cover was off.
y236Fcj_d.jpg

Ooooh nice find. Looks well kept even though it apparently stays outside from what you described.

Did you not spot these two cars following the trailer?

i804965.jpg

12+ hours pass and no F&F reference? Shame on y'all lol.

Rolling up on the transport like -
tumblr_nmbthjrTnV1uqqhuko1_500.gif

burgerdog

Is it still a 4 banger? Or boxer?

Still a flat 4 turbo and a 25-30 hp increase, totaling 375-380.

edit
It just hit me that we are nearing 400HP in a cayman/boxster in non GT trim. Porsche might finally be okay with those two having more horse power than a basic 911, took long enough!

ameratsu

It gets worse, I have the titanium blue ones. Let's just say I didn't get much of a discount and they were $419 USD regular price ��.

Now that you mention that... I totally remember you posting about these paddles a while back. It's too bad they don't offer a plastic version that would still be durable enough but probably half the price. The all-metal construction looks great but is absolute overkill for my needs.

It's kind of surprising that VW doesn't offer replacement paddles as a dealer-installed option. Did nobody at VW try to hit the stock paddles mid turn and realize how awkward it is to shift? It's one of the most frustrating things about my stock DSG GTI. Even the Clubsport S has the same dinky paddles.

negitoro7

Now that you mention that... I totally remember you posting about these paddles a while back. It's too bad they don't offer a plastic version that would still be durable enough but probably half the price. The all-metal construction looks great but is absolute overkill for my needs.

It's kind of surprising that VW doesn't offer replacement paddles as a dealer-installed option. Did nobody at VW try to hit the stock paddles mid turn and realize how awkward it is to shift? It's one of the most frustrating things about my stock DSG GTI. Even the Clubsport S has the same dinky paddles.

Even Audi RS model paddles are disappointing. Even if you don't (stupidly) go HAM like I did and get the blue titanium ones, I'd say the brushed aluminum or flat black S2T paddles are well worth it. Compare Porsche PDK paddles with someone local to you's S2T ones. They measure up. Too bad Double Apex doesn't make MK7 ones. I had their brushed aluminum ones on the MK6 and they were more solid than the S2T at way less cost.

Stinkles

As far as Porsche unicorns go I'd take a GT2 Evo over a 959 any day of the week. Never liked the 959s looks

I think the 959 is borderline ugly, It's got that Chevy Monte Carlo plastic cladding, but it's the innards and thinking that make it special.

ameratsu

Even Audi RS model paddles are disappointing. Even if you don't (stupidly) go HAM like I did and get the blue titanium ones, I'd say the brushed aluminum or flat black S2T paddles are well worth it. Compare Porsche PDK paddles with someone local to you's S2T ones. They measure up. Too bad Double Apex doesn't make MK7 ones. I had their brushed aluminum ones on the MK6 and they were more solid than the S2T at way less cost.

I just looked it up and wtf, how does the rs3 have such small paddles? I never would have guessed.

I find myself favoring grey and black wheels these days more and more not only because I like the way they look but I also like the way they hide brake dust. Dirty wheels are a pet peeve of mine and for a guy who likes to drive sports cars the way they are meant to be driven I tend to generate a lot of brake dust in the cars that I own. At least with a dark wheel it isn't as obvious.

Also, the MX-5 is probably the best sports car I've owned for not generating brake dust and making the wheels look like crap in short order. Probably because it is so light and requires so little brake pressure to stop the car.

Yeah, dirty wheels aren't a huge pet peeve but they do annoy me once in a while lol. I've always been a function over form kind of guy so my thinking is, they shed a lot of brake dust because the brakes work lol.

Yes, I have the mental capacity of a loaf of bread haha.

Speaking of Miatas, I've been keeping track of mine and exactly 20 days later from when I traded it in, it gets sent to another dealer in Austin. Which is quite funny because I've been wanting to move there ever since I got out of college but I just haven't been able to find work opportunities down there so I haven't been able to move there. Funny how it gets to live there first instead of me lol.

I agree. Don't sleep on the steal of the mid 90's though, the 1996 Mustang Cobra. $26,000 brand new for one, and could even keep up with the $40,000 Supra twin turbo.

Is it really $26k for one? A buddy's been eyeing one that has 30k miles and the seller wants $20k for it. I told my buddy he's crazy to go for that so the search goes on for him.

Yup, they're known to be horrible for brake dust. Some of the local R guys have swapped out their pads for centric posi brake pads with great results.

When do you usually swap pads for the PP GTI/R? 30k miles, 60k or what?

Anyway, yeah I find it crazy how it sheds dust like mad. Here's how it looked like when I did my shoot 19 days ago:

And how it looks like today:

oMaxdJ2h.jpg

On pictures it doesn't look THAT bad but up close? You'd think somebody wiped oil all over it lol.

Oh and since I'm arealdy posting pictures, here's another of my latest "mod:"

A2AywoIh.jpg

Plaid all the things!

Rolling up on the transport like -
tumblr_nmbthjrTnV1uqqhuko1_500.gif

I still dream of a video game that'll let you do that lol.

v1lla21

Ran into a stage 2 golf R... holy fuck is it ridiculously fast.

Passed by an auto shop that had ferraris parked outside, will try and snap a picture next week. There was also a De Tomaso Pantera there as well.

Pterion

Drove 3 bmws today. Nothing terribly special about the m240xdrive cab. The M2 was more fun than the M3 imo but the exhaust note was not as good as I hoped it to be. I think I like luxury almost as much if not more than sportiness, and I couldn't help but notice the road noise, hard plastics in the cabin, and relatively stiff ride. Fun but not for me, at least now.

I actually liked 440 xdrive coupe quite a bit. It was fully loaded, and it was the first time I saw the extended merino leather along the dash and door trims. Also had the m-performance package I and II, and I liked it overall a bit more than the C43 AMG and S5 sportback. Big noticeable difference between sport mode and comfort mode in the steering, suspension dampening and exhaust noise. IDrive is pretty good too and not an eyesore like the Merc Command system.

Tomorrow should be mind blowing hopefully...

negitoro7

I just looked it up and wtf, how does the rs3 have such small paddles? I never would have guessed.

R8 too. SMH Audi/VW, c'mon guys.

Yeah, dirty wheels aren't a huge pet peeve but they do annoy me once in a while lol. I've always been a function over form kind of guy so my thinking is, they shed a lot of brake dust because the brakes work lol.

When do you usually swap pads for the PP GTI/R? 30k miles, 60k or what?

A2AywoIh.jpg

Plaid all the things!

Don't quote me on it, but I believe it's at 45k miles. I'm going to swap mine out before next summer regardless cause of the brake dust.

Love the plaid license plate frame. I gifted my Klii Motorwerkes plaid plate frame to my buddy with a MK7 GTI. It served me well on my MK6 GTI.

Top Bottom