• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Betas 2017 |OT| Half Baked

First venture into this beta- scrolling seems super fast in safari

Yeah, in iOS10 they changed the inertia is safari but nowhere else. I submitted a bug/feedback report about it a year ago and it didn’t get changed so I assumed it was intentional (it was). Google AMP pages scrolled how it used to and they brought it up to Apple who changed it back

PB4 has fixed my Music widget problems and Bandcamp is working again, everything seems a lot smoother as well. Now to wait for PB5 to break everything again.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So is High Sierra stable enough to install again? I haven't touched it since I tried the first PB and it was so bad. (And was able to revert back easily and painlessly because of my backup.) But I still think it's because I used APFS which broke a bunch of apps. I bet if I just install the beta and don't use APFS until release after all the apps have been updated, it is probably fine.

No one talks about it though. I guess it's such an insignificant update that's just speed improvements and bug fixes. Really the only two things it has are APFS and Messages syncing, which has been delayed anyway.

Deku Tree

If you mean crashing while opening, it still does that.

I have a 10.5 iPad Pro and ever since the first PB discord crashes (freezes) when waking from sleep sometimes. I can force quit and restart it and it works fine. It seems to happen less now in the last PB but it still happens. I haven't checked yet on the new PB.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The latest iOS PB has broken my touch screen. I can't touch it anymore. I can't do anything. And I can't reboot because it won't shut down for some reason and Siri can't shut it down for me for some stupid reason. I'm stuck with an unusable iPhone I can't even reboot.

It was working fine when I installed it last night. And it was working fine when I woke up and browsed my notifications. Then it stopped working when I charged it. Now it's just a glowing rectangle I can't use.

Ashhong

Can everyone PLEASE make the following requests:

1. Allow Smart Playlist sharing in Apple Music
2. Allow the Music app to open by tapping the damn widget in Control Center without having to force touch.

I don't have the beta on my iPhone 6, can you "expand" the widget by just long touching?

CraigMcD

So is High Sierra stable enough to install again? I haven't touched it since I tried the first PB and it was so bad. (And was able to revert back easily and painlessly because of my backup.) But I still think it's because I used APFS which broke a bunch of apps. I bet if I just install the beta and don't use APFS until release after all the apps have been updated, it is probably fine.

No one talks about it though. I guess it's such an insignificant update that's just speed improvements and bug fixes. Really the only two things it has are APFS and Messages syncing, which has been delayed anyway.

It's always been stable for me. Only issue was OneDrive breaking, which has been fixed. I'm using APFS as well.

DOWN

Banned
In Notification settings, they changed a bunch. Is “Cover Sheet” the new name for the lock screen? And “History” is the new name for Notifications Center when you pull down from the top of the screen? I think that’s how it is

The latest iOS PB has broken my touch screen. I can't touch it anymore. I can't do anything. And I can't reboot because it won't shut down for some reason and Siri can't shut it down for me for some stupid reason. I'm stuck with an unusable iPhone I can't even reboot.

It was working fine when I installed it last night. And it was working fine when I woke up and browsed my notifications. Then it stopped working when I charged it. Now it's just a glowing rectangle I can't use.

Hold down power and volume down to force reset

In Notification settings, they changed a bunch. Is ”Cover Sheet" the new name for the lock screen? And ”History" is the new name for Notifications Center when you pull down from the top of the screen? I think that's how it is

That is correct

In Notification settings, they changed a bunch. Is “Cover Sheet” the new name for the lock screen? And “History” is the new name for Notifications Center when you pull down from the top of the screen? I think that’s how it is

apple pls just allow grouping notifications by app ;_;

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hold down power and volume down to force reset
Not working. Like literally. That was the first thing I tried. I can hold it down for an hour and it won’t shut off. And I can’t shut down because it requires touch screen interaction.

After a bit more experimenting I’ve determined that it’s the system itself that is acting weird. I first discovered it when I asked Siri to launch Tiny Tower so I could let it wear the battery down. I accidentally touched the screen and it worked. So I determined that apps work almost normally. However any scrolling is broken. I can scroll in some apps but not in others. And anything that’s system backend related, i.e. Home Screen, notifications, NC and CC, the shut down dialog and I assume the phone answering screen if I ever get a call, all don’t let me touch them. Something seems to be frozen or something. As soon as I discovered I could use apps I opened settings and set it to never sleep the screen.

If I try to force reboot it won’t do anything. Except accidentally take a screenshot sometimes. (I now have 4 shots of my home screen) if I press Power it does nothing. If I hold it it opens the shutdown screen but I can’t use it. Asking Siri to shut down gives me a mesage saying she can’t do that and giving me instructions I can’t use.

I’m running Tiny Tower right now. Down to 48%. If I can get it to 0% maybe I can force a system reboot. Hopefully it’s a bug that won’t happen much. At worst I’ll restore it from iTunes when I get home. That’ll surely shut it off.

Not working. Like literally. That was the first thing I tried. I can hold it down for an hour and it won’t shut off. And I can’t shut down because it requires touch screen interaction.

After a bit more experimenting I’ve determined that it’s the system itself that is acting weird. I first discovered it when I asked Siri to launch Tiny Tower so I could let it wear the battery down. I accidentally touched the screen and it worked. So I determined that apps work almost normally. However any scrolling is broken. I can scroll in some apps but not in others. And anything that’s system backend related, i.e. Home Screen, notifications, NC and CC, the shut down dialog and I assume the phone answering screen if I ever get a call, all don’t let me touch them. Something seems to be frozen or something. As soon as I discovered I could use apps I opened settings and set it to never sleep the screen.

If I try to force reboot it won’t do anything. Except accidentally take a screenshot sometimes. (I now have 4 shots of my home screen) if I press Power it does nothing. If I hold it it opens the shutdown screen but I can’t use it. Asking Siri to shut down gives me a mesage saying she can’t do that and giving me instructions I can’t use.

I’m running Tiny Tower right now. Down to 48%. If I can get it to 0% maybe I can force a system reboot. Hopefully it’s a bug that won’t happen much. At worst I’ll restore it from iTunes when I get home. That’ll surely shut it off.

If you’re taking screenshots you’re doing the wrong combination. It’s not power and home, it’s power and volume down on the 7’s because the home button isn’t a real button

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If you’re taking screenshots you’re doing the wrong combination. It’s not power and home, it’s power and volume down on the 7’s because the home button isn’t a real button
Oh geeze. You’re right. Thing is I’m pretty sure I’ve always been able to do it with power and home before on my Plus. I never thought volume would work because it always lowered the volume even if the power was held so I assumed it wouldn’t.

I got it rebooted and now my screen works again. I’m so relieved. But damn now I’m down to 26%. Haha

Anyway what a weird bug.

emag

So what changes are in PB4?

On iPad Mini 2: Family sharing of apps is working again for me. System animations seem not as choppy as PB3. Drag & drop of homescreen icons isn't quite as glitchy as before (but still more finicky than iOS 10).

jiiikoo

Banned
Still bugging out when dragging icons into the dock on my iPad Pro. Sometimes when I drag an app out of the dock and replace it with another, the old app icon jumps to the background of the new app and makes it so that I'm unable to open the new app (or the old).

I can't believe they haven't implemented this

Especially with the differentiation between 'new' and 'old' notifications they've got a good framework for grouping the old ones by app but keeping the new ones in the order they were received. If anything it feels like the best possible *reason* to differentiate between new and old.

EmiPrime

Like a broken record, I will once again reiterate that Apple should just copy Android notifications as they have no idea how to get them right. It's just embarrassing now.

Like a broken record, I will once again reiterate that Apple should just copy Android notifications as they have no idea how to get them right. It's just embarrassing now.

Yeah. I think that app extensions and widgets are great as ways to essentially have an app perform actions without taking over the main screen, and ideally the 3D Touch menus on apps will also do this (right now they're basically fancy URL schemes that still require the app to be opened up).

Notifications are gradually getting the capability to do this more and more often (although sometimes only being able to quick reply easily when a notification first arrives is annoying, but the problem goes beyond making notifications easily actionable windows into an app - they're also something we want to *triage*. Understanding notifications as a combination of an inbox (to be cleared) and a feed (which should display the most relevant things first) is crucial to making Notification Center as effective as possible, and I'm not certain Apple quite gets how to do that. Solving that problem is an experience that'll also help them with improving News.app and Mail.app, honestly.

Good triage doesn't just mean making them more and more actionable, it means being able to jump to a given app's notification settings (or being able to mute an app right from NC), it means (and Android doesn't do this yet either and I think it should) being able to natively 'snooze' any given notification, and it definitely means intelligent notification grouping and ordering. And fast controls for clearing them out.

I've taken a lot of time to customize my notifications on iOS to make sure that only relevant ones make their way through, but it shouldn't have taken that much work to do so.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
There are like no sexy features for High Sierra at all outside of faster Safari. If you're not a developer, don't beta test it, honestly.
I don't know where you're getting a faster Safari. For me Safari is shit at handling all major sites. YouTube is slow as molasses, Twitter slows down really badly. FaceBook. The Technology Preview on Sierra was faster (Until the most recent version which broke everything completely. Horrible corruption bug that destroys your browser until you erase all its settings and Library folders to start over again, at which point it just corrupts again.)

In fact I installed High Sierra because I figured the regular High Sierra Safari would be better than the Sierra Tech Preview. I've been using the Tech Preview exclusively on Sierra for months because Safari was shit. And it's still shit. And I don't know why.

I feel like I'm the only one with this problem. Surely it couldn't be going on forever. It was like this in the first PB too before I reverted back.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
installed the tvOS PB last night.. a cool feature I came across was, after the first tap to bring up the timeline, tap a second time and the timeline changes to an ETA. So if I had -23:00 remaining from the time of this post, tapping it would change the timeline to say 12:28pm. Pretty nice

Also you can double tap the pad now to zoom in on content that isn't 16:9. I'll never use it, but I know we just had a thread here in OT about people bitching about letterboxing.

DHNNP6QXYAQ-g8S.jpg

Ugly new App Store icon.

New maps too, Apple Park!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
App Store icon is bad but I really don't like the iTunes Store one either. I'm gonna miss the App Store icon. It was... iconic. Because it's basically the same icon Apple's used for applications for 20+ years.

"System" is taking up like half my storage space on iPad Pro running PB4, anyone else having this issue?

I had the issue on my 6S+ on PB3. System kept growing until it consumed all available storage.

I did an iCloud restore and the issue hasn't resurfaced yet. It's been about two weeks or so.

Ppl will hate the new icon but I don't see any value in the paint brush and pencil in the old one.

if anything it incorrectly made people think the app store is full of creativity and productivity software instead of f2p games. good on apple for heading off a potential false advertising class action suit tbh

Hope this one is better than the last one, which ruined my battery life. I went out for 45 minutes for lunch and it dropped from 80% down to 50%.

Majine

Banned
One thing I'm missing right now on iPad is the ability to, in multitasking view, drag one app on top of another to combine them into a split view.

jstripes

Banned
Ppl will hate the new icon but I don't see any value in the paint brush and pencil in the old one.

Paint brush, pencil, and ruler.

The old App Store icon is from the days when Macs were mostly known for desktop publishing and the creative arts.

The new icon isn't amazing, but it's a good evolution that shares the same familiar shape, is more balanced, works better at smaller sizes, and loses the old elements that no longer communicated what the App Store is.

The new Maps icon is a heck of a lot more visually balanced.

kaskade

How have the updates for the phone been? My 10.5 Pro has been fine running the betas at this point. If I didn’t know it was a beta I probably wouldn’t think anything of it.

Top Bottom