• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct trademark application/renewal refused by the USPTO

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It won't be hard to argue against it simply because games are not TV shows

It doesn't matter if some games become tv shows or some TV shows become games

Fox didn't apply for games
MS didn't apply for TV show

And using a fox subsidiary (ign) as a source is kind of funny

You're right -- the deciding factor isn't the whole games become TV shows and some show become games thing, but it's still important. The basic standard for trademark infringement is whether a likelihood of confusion between two things using a mark exists. Fox's TV show might be completely unrelated, but there's still a reasonable possibility (as far as the USPTO is concerned) that someone could hear there's a game called Killer Instinct, and think it's in some way connected to the show. And that's made reasonable by the fact that TV shows have a tendency to be spun off into games. And that's all that matters as far as the law's concerned. Sure, there are arguments against it like "nobody's heard of this shitty TV show that lasted for like 2 episodes," but uh, yeah, none of that really matters at this point.

Rösti;45021473 said:
As long as the mark is not abandoned or cancelled, it will be considered "Live".

No idea, but seeing as one Ukrainian guy (Roman Bilko) and four US guys (Joe Ortiz, Michael Grover and Paul Richey) on the 30th of August this year trademarked Jet Force Gemini (serial number 85717170), it could be difficult for Rare to renew their marks (one is abandoned, one is cancelled). It's not published for opposition yet though.
Whoa...what?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa...what?
It's not game related.

Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Digital materials, namely, CDs and audio files featuring music
IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services in the nature of live musical performances; Music production services

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
You're right -- the deciding factor isn't the whole games become TV shows and some show become games thing, but it's still important. The basic standard for trademark infringement is whether a likelihood of confusion between two things using a mark exists. Fox's TV show might be completely unrelated, but there's still a reasonable possibility (as far as the USPTO is concerned) that someone could hear there's a game called Killer Instinct, and think it's in some way connected to the show. And that's made reasonable by the fact that TV shows have a tendency to be spun off into games. And that's all that matters as far as the law's concerned. Sure, there are arguments against it like "nobody's heard of this shitty TV show that lasted for like 2 episodes," but uh, yeah, none of that really matters at this point.

I totally see how a tv show about the son of a serial killer chasing down serial killers is anything like a fighting tournament between aliens, werewolves, dinosaurs, robots, skeletons, gargoyles, boxers, secret agents and stuff

Totally confusing me just thinking about the two and how they are so similar that it implies they both come from the same companies!

(Sarcasm, just in case uspto tries to use this as evidence)

Rösti;45022917 said:
It's not game related.

But some games are turned into music CDs and some music is turned into games! That's how the uspto thinks

Kinect Instinct

that'll be the only way to play it too :( but i would buy it day 1, just bring back Thunder and his axes and "sonnaabee" move B^)

someone took the name "Jet Force Gemeni" too? smh Rare you gotta keep those names, i should have bought it

Danny Dudekisser

I totally see how a tv show about the son of a serial killer chasing down serial killers is anything like a fighting tournament between aliens, werewolves, dinosaurs, robots, skeletons, gargoyles, boxers, secret agents and stuff

Totally confusing me just thinking about the two and how they are so similar that it implies they both come from the same companies!

(Sarcasm, just in case uspto tries to use this as evidence)

I don't see how Street Fighter: The Movie and Street Fighter 2010 are related, either, and yet...!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I don't see how Street Fighter: The Movie and Street Fighter 2010 are related, either, and yet...!

I'm half assuming you don't know street fighter 2010 is an off-shoot from the original street fighter (a lot of people don't know it exists)

Otherwise, kinda odd comparison because its still based on the same mark, sorta.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Microsoft's best bet here might be to argue that Fox has effectively abandoned the trademark by not using it in the last 3 years.

border

Who cares? Rare teased people about a new KI game for at least a decade, but by most accounts weren't actually doing anything.

At this point we all know there is nobody at Rare left capable of making a new, proper Killer Instinct game.

If anything was actually in development I'm willing to bet they were more-than-likely planning some Kinect garbage rather than a new 2D fighter.

gatti-man

Oh c'mon. Fox ruins enough movie IPs I love as it is now they are trolling me in video games too? Besides there is about zero chance of confusion here Jesus.

ghostmind

Perhaps if Microsoft had attempted to do something with the franchise in the last 10 years since they purchased Rare this would not have happened.

gaming_noob

In reference to the combo names:

Triple Instinct
Super Instinct
Master Instinct
Brutal Instinct
Awesome Instinct
Monster Instinct
Killer Instinct
King Insintct
Ultra Instinct
Ultimate Instinct.

Did I miss any?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft's best bet here might be to argue that Fox has effectively abandoned the trademark by not using it in the last 3 years.
I'm glad I don't have to explain this.

MS can argue that Fox hasn't been actively using the mark. I recall a case where the firm I worked for did that as the other party couldn't provide proof. It took a long time though...

And to all the suggestions...nothing with killer and instinct in it will work. I can't change I to 1, I can't add 'the' or 's' or put a tag line with it.

Personally, I think MS should argue this and I think they have a decent chance of winning. The examiner is being a bit of a dumb ass since they are different goods and fox never applied for killer instinct the game.

Danny Dudekisser

MS can argue that Fox hasn't been actively using the mark. I recall a case where the firm I worked for did that as the other party couldn't provide proof. It took a long time though...

And to all the suggestions...nothing with killer and instinct in it will work. I can't change I to 1, I can't add 'the' or 's' or put a tag line with it.

Personally, I think MS should argue this and I think they have a decent chance of winning. The examiner is being a bit of a dumb ass since they are different goods and fox never applied for killer instinct the game.

In my paltry experience, at least, the USPTO is particularly persnickety with entertainment stuff. The examiners usually seem to be dumbasses.

In reference to the combo names:

Triple Instinct
Super Instinct
Master Instinct
Brutal Instinct
Awesome Instinct
Monster Instinct
Killer Instinct
King Insintct
Ultra Instinct
Ultimate Instinct.

Did I miss any?

They can just call it "KI" and make it one word (pronounced KAI) like DOTA.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
They could...but killer instinct is more well known than KI. If I saw KI on a game walking by a shop one day, I wouldn't assume killer instinct. Dota is a special case where blizzard and valve negotiated. Kinda wished more companies did this, but those lawyers gotta get paid I guess.

Danny Dudekisser

People are gonna see "KI," not associate it with Killer Instinct (which is the only selling point a hypothetical Killer Instinct sequel would have), and not wanna play a game that they're going to pronounce "Key." Because Key is a stupid name for a fighting game.

They could...but killer instinct is more well known than KI. If I saw KI on a game walking by a shop one day, I wouldn't assume killer instinct. Dota is a special case where blizzard and valve negotiated. Kinda wished more companies did this, but those lawyers gotta get paid I guess.

As long as it has the horribly designed CGI characters that the KI games are famous for people will get the connection.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
any reason they took this long to secure it? KI came before this show sad to see they got bumped out of the way
Microsoft actually never had a trademark on Killer Instinct before. Nintendo held the trademark until 2006 when they finally abandoned it.
As far as the USPTO cares, Nintendo held the trademark until 2006 when they abandoned it. Fox entered the trademark in 2005 and finally got it in 2008 (probably in part due to Nintendo's abandonment of it). And now Microsoft is trying to fill for the trademark but has been denied due to the similarity to Fox's trademark.

Yeah, the examiner went to quite the trouble to screencap amazon customer reviews and IGN so as to show that consumers link video games based upon tv shows to said tv shows.

And considering that Fox hasn't released DVDs, syndicated the show, streamed it in any capacity or even mention it on any of their websites anywhere, Microsoft should be able to argue for abandonment.

Microsoft's real problem here is time. Even if everything goes there way, its still going to take over a year for anything to be remotely decided. Even the initial appeal could be a 6 month wait on Fox's behalf. Whatever release plans they had for this mystery Killer Instinct project have probably been ruined.

Yeah, the examiner went to quite the trouble to screencap amazon customer reviews and IGN so as to show that consumers link video games based upon tv shows to said tv shows.

And considering that Fox hasn't released DVDs, syndicated the show, streamed it in any capacity or even mention it on any of their websites anywhere, Microsoft should be able to argue for abandonment.

Microsoft's real problem here is time. Even if everything goes there way, its still going to take over a year for anything to be remotely decided. Even the initial appeal could be a 6 month wait on Fox's behalf. Whatever release plans they had for this mystery Killer Instinct project have probably been ruined.
That is depressing...

If they have to claim ownership of a trademark in 5 years, how likely is it that FOX would reclaim trademark of a property that (from their perspective) is largely useless and hasn't been around in forever? If it's a 5 year duration, that would make the expiration in 2013. If Rare/MS started development now, the trademark would be expired by the time they're ready to go gold.

Better yet, agree with the other people that say call it KI. 3 or fewer letter branding is the in-thing nowadays. Just use a large sans-serif font for the box art and they're good to go.

Better yet, don't make a new Killer Instinct game at all. The game was terrible.

Danny Dudekisser

If they have to claim ownership of a trademark in 5 years, how likely is it that FOX would reclaim trademark of a property that (from their perspective) is largely useless and hasn't been around in forever? If it's a 5 year duration, that would make the expiration in 2013. If Rare/MS started development now, the trademark would be expired by the time they're ready to go gold.

Better yet, agree with the other people that say call it KI. 3 or fewer letter branding is the in-thing nowadays. Just use a large sans-serif font for the box art and they're good to go.

Better yet, don't make a new Killer Instinct game at all. The game was terrible.

If Fox did that, the renewal would likely be cancelled because they're not doing anything with it and probably can't show any need to retain the trademark.

In any case, I agree that the best option is to not make a new Killer Instinct.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

KI didn't age well at all, but KI2 is fine for casual play. It reminds me of the first gen Capcom vs games.

Fox Mulder

MS needs new trademark lawyers.

At least they haven't publicly done anything with this yet, like with Double Fine's Trenched game and Windows 8 Metro.

People are gonna see "KI," not associate it with Killer Instinct (which is the only selling point a hypothetical Killer Instinct sequel would have), and not wanna play a game that they're going to pronounce "Key." Because Key is a stupid name for a fighting game.

"Ki" is a way of spelling Qi/Chi, the life force that lets martial artists do Hadokens. So it's a pretty good name for a fighting game.

Top Bottom