• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 announced: "better in nearly every way" (The Verge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apath

I honestly haven't used the SP3 at length so I can't comment on the previous implementation. I've just heard very positive things about the stylus performance on the new units.
Just know that the SP3 pen implementation was janky and not good at all.

szaromir

Banned
I'm mainly referring to the ram. 4gb is just not enough, even at entry level. Given how aggressively MS is going at the air with the sp4, I guess it makes sense that they match it tit for tat in price but it still sucks.
I wonder about it. I want to buy a SP4 mostly for DrawboardPDF and OneNote, and on my laptop I'm running atm Firefox (10 tabs) + Drawboard + Onenote as a test scenario and it's consuming below 3GB... But my laptop has a discreet GPU and separate VRAM, so that probably changes things a lot. Will I be fine on the entry level SP4?

Totakeke

Just know that the SP3 pen implementation was janky and not good at all.

It's perfectly fine for my uses which is note-taking and simple sketching. I don't think for the most users they would run into the issues that you claim (which I don't agree with at all).

I'm mainly referring to the ram. 4gb is just not enough, even at entry level. Given how aggressively MS is going at the air with the sp4, I guess it makes sense that they match it tit for tat in price but it still sucks.

I see. I don't think I've ever encountered a situation where I need more RAM than 4 GB, but then again I'm doing any photoshopping, 3D rendering or anything like that.

dLMN8R

That... doesn't change anything I just said.

Yeah it does.

The type cover with the fingerprint sensor only makes sense for people with a Surface Pro 3.
Surface Pro 4 doesn't need it because it has a Hello camera
Surface Pro 3 was primarily sold in the US (speculation, like I said)
Therefore, type cover with fingerprint sensor primarily targets people in the US (people who already have a Surface Pro 3)
Therefore, type cover with fingerprint sensor is only sold in the US

Hesemonni

Banned
So no USB type C?
Having just announced USB 3.0 Type-C Lumias it’s disappointing to see Microsoft not follow Apple’s MacBook and Google’s Chromebook Pixel 2 and Nexus lines in moving to this ingenious, reversible and universal power, video and data connector.

Forbes

With such a wonderful and universal alternative available I'm getting a bit tired of proprietary chargers...

Apath

It's perfectly fine for my uses which is note-taking and simple sketching. I don't think for the most users they would run into the issues that you claim (which I don't agree with at all).
I used it for note taking and it was so jittery it drove me insane. It's no where near as smooth and intuitive as the SP1 or 2's writing. The only advantage it has over the previous implementations is that you can write at the border of the screen without issue.

Here is a link showing it is a well known issue. If you don't run into it, great!

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I wonder about it. I want to buy a SP4 mostly for DrawboardPDF and OneNote, and on my laptop I'm running atm Firefox (10 tabs) + Drawboard + Onenote as a test scenario and it's consuming below 3GB... But my laptop has a discreet GPU and separate VRAM, so that probably changes things a lot. Will I be fine on the entry level SP4?

If you use Firefox or Chrome you won't be fine. Both in terms of RAM and power consumption. But Edge with ten tabs + Drawboard PDF + OneNote + Word + Media Player = less than 2.5 GB RAM useage.

szaromir

Banned
If you use Firefox or Chrome you won't be fine. Both in terms of RAM and power consumption. But Edge with ten tabs + Drawboard PDF + OneNote + Word + Media Player = less than 2.5 GB RAM useage.

The problem with Edge is that it's extremely barebones and doesn't support extensions. At the very least, I need my OneNote and Evernote clippers.

Luigiv

I can't confirm about N-Trig but Wacom does exactly what I describe with their digitizer variations. Simple firmware change that ups the pressure levels. The pen top feed analog value to the controller board. Firware can divide that up whatever levels you want. Wacom went from 256 levels in 2005 to 1024 levels in 2015 with the same UD seires digitizer board. The same pen from 2005 will give you 256 levels on old systems while give you 1024 levels on the new.

That's interesting, I had no idea. I guess it makes sense, given Wacom Pens communicate to the board via EMR. I have no idea about N-Trig either. I though it communicated pressure through bluetooth but some googling reveals that apparently that's for the digital buttons only. Apparently pressure is communicated through some other means. The more you know.

Anyway, prices are now live on the Aus portal and T_T god damn exchange rates and Australia tax. Doesn't look like student pricing applies yet either. Given that the thing wont launch here until the semester is already over, I may be better off waiting until they do.

szaromir

Banned
9gQAjct.jpg

The "hybrid cooling system" explained. Also, they've shrunk the batter from 4200mWh to 3820mWh. Between this and the higher resolution screen, I'm not expecting the battery life to be "at least as long as SP3"...

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm still weary about any tablet that has vents and a fan.

I wonder if they could have stuck with a completely fanless design on the tablet and stuck all the beefy hardware in the base.

szaromir

Banned
Also, it seems this passive cooling plate is between the battery and the screen. I'm not sure the battery being the recipient of the heat generated by the CPU is such a good idea.

Blablurn

I wonder if they could have stuck with a completely fanless design on the tablet and stuck all the beefy hardware in the base.

i barely notice the fan in my SP3. it's not that bad

strata8

The "hybrid cooling system" explained. Also, they've shrunk the batter from 4200mWh to 3820mWh. Between this and the higher resolution screen, I'm not expecting the battery life to be "at least as long as SP3"...

The processor is 2 generations above the one used in the SP3 though. And the screen is now IGZO IIRC.

It's not like a decrease in capacity with an increase in battery life hasn't happened before. The iPad Air went down to a 32.5 Wh battery vs. the 42.5 Wh battery in the iPad 4, and still managed to last for 30 minutes longer.

Luigiv

I'll assume you mean for the Surface Book not the Pro 4 (thread topic). Not really possible unless you want to go dual CPU and drive up the cost and performance discrepancy between modes even further. Core i# CPUs just run too hot for fanless (unless you way downclock them).

If you want a fanless tablet you're better off going for something in a different class.

Tablo

I definitely need to know about student discount

And y'all saying u don't notice the SP3 fan must not do shit with your computer or mine is damaged because it gets warm for sure and spins up, especially while charging. And a ton when playing back locally stored video and photo editing in LR.

Hopefully Skylake+IZGO is enough to more than offset smaller batter.
I like how much more robust the new cooling system seems!!

Luigiv

No student discount for surface 4 and surface book?

Not yet, guess they're going to clear out SP3's first. I don't know about the rest of the world but the semester's almost over here anyway. I imagine student prices will go live here after Christmas, in time for the back-to-school rush. Or at least that's how I'd do it if I were in charge. Who knows really.

Grazzt

Not yet, guess they're going to clear out SP3's first. I don't know about the rest of the world but the semester's almost over here anyway. I imagine student prices will go live here after Christmas, in time for the back-to-school rush. Or at least that's how I'd do it if I were in charge. Who knows really.

Well, that would make sense. I got my surface pro 3 on February this year just before the semester began. And it was the lowest price of history in Australia.

TTG

So, how is Black Friday going to work? Are there going to be deals for this plus the keyboard and what about the outgoing model?

artsi

Looks like the SP4 can now be pre-ordered over here too. I'm wondering if the m3 is enough for drawing / painting in Photoshop, or if it's worth it to pay 150 euros more for the i5.

So is there not a regular Surface 4, only the Pro version? If this is the case, I think I will wait for Black Friday when there should be a fire sale of Surface 3 models (hopefully bundled with the type cover). I want to get one for the wife and she will use mainly for browsing and Office so she doesn't need a lot of power.

thenexus6

So is there not a regular Surface 4, only the Pro version? If this is the case, I think I will wait for Black Friday when there should be a fire sale of Surface 3 models (hopefully bundled with the type cover). I want to get one for the wife and she will use mainly for browsing and Office so she doesn't need a lot of power.

The "surface" and "surface pro" have alternate refresh cycles, so expect a surface 4 next year.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Does anyone know if they have the sp4 in NYC at their store? I can head down there and give you guys artist impressions of the pen.

Wasn't there nearly a year gap between the SP3 and S3? Might just wanna wait.

The surface 3 came out in May, expect a new one next May. They're not on the same update cycle.

Surface Pro 3 isn't the Xbox One. It had good reviews world wide and launched in a timely manner.

I still find that assumtion hilarious. You just can't make that US-centric view up. It really explains a lot of decisions at Microsoft.

"What do you mean that feature for France? Are we even in that market?"

Futureman

When will the student discount go live ;;

I read somewhere yesterday that once preorders are over and the SP4 is actually shipping, you should be able to order with a student discount.

That's fine with me as I can read all the first impressions/reviews and then make a decision.

Futureman

Sean Ong (he has a youtube channel dedicated to the Surface line and was at the MS event) said that on reddit after specifically asking about it MS guys.

It has a fan. Look at the image. He says it runs the fan LESS not that it's fanless. Unless you mean something different...

CQsHhCnWEAADjzH.jpg:large

Does anyone know if they have the sp4 in NYC at their store? I can head down there and give you guys artist impressions of the pen.

Reddit guy impressions:

"Tactile feedback with the new pen's nib and eraser was significantly better. I was only able to test in OneNote, but varying pressure provided different levels of drag that are not present in the old pen.
Drawing out slow diagonal strokes with the SP3 pen, it was impossible to avoid jitter. With the new pen, jitter was still present, but dramatically reduced. Increasing my stroke speed slightly eliminated the jitter altogether.
The eraser tip is amazing. Truly feels like a rubber eraser.
The pen has a magnet along its flat edge that connects to other magnets in the Surface Pro 4 and Book. The SP3 pen will attach to the new tablets but the magnetic hold is much weaker.
The keyboard of the Surface Book is much better than the type keycovers of the Surface Pro 4; however, the keyboard is still inferior to the typing experience offered by a Lenovo Thinkpad.
The larger glass trackpads are excellent: probably the closest to Apple trackpads found on Windows devices."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/co...artist_talks_about_the_pen_experience/cvrac5x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom