• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy Micro <3 Thread

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
plik said:
so how does the screen brightness compare to the SP and vs DS? i am interested in picking up a Micro as well, but since i have both an SP and a DS Lite. i'll only do it if the screen is nice and bright.
It's plenty bright.

womp

Princess Skittles said:
If I recall, it should be the same as the Lite, maybe the Lite's Level 3 brightness at least.

Lite is brighter at its brightest setting but yeah, maybe brightness 3 is rather comparable.

Baron

Farore said:
I know this is a thread about the micro, but... how hard to find is the SP [I'm talking about the backlit version]? What's the price? Anyone?

I bought my gray GBA SP backlit version around December of 2006. To put it into perspective, I haven't seen them for sale anywhere since, online or off.

GMB

Banned
Damn all of you who posted pictures.
I just ordered the Famicom version AND the silver one...

but I guess it's ok since they were so cheap on play-asia anyways.

Also felt like playing pokemon for the first time in many many years (I played the blue and red when they came out) when I saw that mudkip on gbm picture. Guess I'll have to get my hands on one of those newer pokemon games.

plik

oh god, i am so ready with Credit Card out of my wallet to order the Famicom version from PlayAsia. my only worry is dead pixels, it would be a bitch to try to exchange it. is it a big problem with the micro's? anyone buy one new and have dead pixels?

Daigoro

plik said:
oh god, i am so ready with Credit Card out of my wallet to order the Famicom version from PlayAsia. my only worry is dead pixels, it would be a bitch to try to exchange it. is it a big problem with the micro's? anyone buy one new and have dead pixels?

never heard of one with a dead pixel.

sweetfish

Gold Member
Just ordered the Famicom version from play-asia. :D It's 110v, but I think I'm also going to pick up a used GBM with correct charge cable for Sweden.

One question though, have anyone tried M3 Perfect on the Micro? Does it fit/look alright?

Arturo

Hi, this is my first post here at GAF. I've just seen this GBM Love thread and couldn't resist :D so, here is my collection:

Silver GameBoy Micro (European).
This is the one I actually use to play :) In pretty good condition as I bought it the day of the release in Europe.

silvereu01vp5.jpg

silvereu02rm0.jpg

Blue, Green & Pink GameBoy Micros (European).
The boxes are a bit scratched, but I bought them at such a low price that I couldn't complain. The actual GBMs are completely new.

blueeu01zw4.jpg

blueeu02za5.jpg

blueeu03ir0.jpg

greeneu01iv0.jpg

greeneu02ai7.jpg

greeneu03vx7.jpg

pinkeu01lb8.jpg

pinkeu02zf2.jpg

pinkeu03qn0.jpg

Black GameBoy Micro (Japanese).
I love this one. A full black GBM was only released in Japan. The american model was released with a silver faceplate (and the silver one with a black faceplate). I still have to get those ones.
blackjp01sl4.jpg

blackjp02lr4.jpg

blackjp03dp1.jpg

Famicom Edition (Japanese).
A beautiful model released to celebrate Mario's 20th Anniversary in Japan.
20thanniversaryjp01la3.jpg

20thanniversaryjp02fq2.jpg

20thanniversaryjp03mb6.jpg

20thanniversaryjp04iv2.jpg

20thanniversaryjp05qy4.jpg

20th Anniversary Edition (American).
Basically the same as the Japanese edition with the exception of the HappyMario seal of the back. This one doesn't have it.
20thanniversaryusa01gl2.jpg

20thanniversaryusa02ex4.jpg

20thanniversaryusa03tf7.jpg

Pokemon Center Limited Edition GameBoy Micro (Japanese).
Metallic red & black colored model with a silhouette of Pikachu
pokemonedition01yl3.jpg

pokemonedition02zz3.jpg

pokemonedition03bz3.jpg

pokemonedition04wx9.jpg

Final Fantasy IV Limited Edition GameBoy Micro /w Final Fantasy IV game (Japanese).
Beautiful model with an original faceplate designed by Yoshitaka Amano and a Final Fantasy seal in the back.
finalfantasyiv01oe7.jpg

finalfantasyiv02sp4.jpg

finalfantasyiv03ko7.jpg

finalfantasyiv04uw6.jpg

finalfantasyiv05ct9.jpg

finalfantasyiv06xj7.jpg

Mother 3 Limited Edition GameBoy Micro /w Mother 3 game (Japanese).
The special edition features a red metallic body, a red protective cover with the Mother 3 logo, a 'aged' Mother 3 faceplate, a copy of the game, and a Franklin Badge - one of the in-game items from Mother 2.
mother01kb2.jpg

mother02mv1.jpg

mother03tv0.jpg

mother04vo6.jpg

mother05oa0.jpg

mother06uw6.jpg

mother07os2.jpg

mother08tp6.jpg

mother09ux0.jpg

mother10aq6.jpg

mother11cl5.jpg

That's it! I hope you like it :)

Arturo

holy crap! How limited is/was the Pokemon Centre one? Love the boxes for that one & the FF one. I make do with my rather-underused blue GBM..

BitchTits

Amazing! The Mother 3 one packaging and pouch are lovely.

I ordered a Famicom one yesterday from PlayAsia just based on the love in this thread, already shipped, and should be here next week :D

Arturo

Princess Skittles said:
Those are freaking AMAZING pictures.

Could you take a picture of the pink GBM with the black faceplate and vice versa?

Thanks! :) I will take it this weekend, no prob. It sounds like a good color mix.

Martial Loh said:
holy crap! How limited is/was the Pokemon Centre one? Love the boxes for that one & the FF one. I make do with my rather-underused blue GBM..

Mmm… I'm not sure, but I believe it was sold only at the Pokemon Center and for a limited time. I think you still can find it in eBay.

GauntletFan said:
the only handheld i can put in my pocket and realistically carry it around everywhere.. great machine with awesome screen quality.

I couln't agree more with you. It's my favorite handheld by far.

Lé Blade Runner said:
Arturo, count me officially jealous. :O

XDDD LOL!

Princess Skittles said:
Please tell me what camera you used to take those beautiful close up pictures.

I use a Panasonic Lumix LX2. It was the compact camera thas was closest to a big SLR one. I needed something really portable. It has a great Leica lens (in fact, the LX2 is the exact same camera as the Leica D-Lux 3, just with different branding and $100 dollars less if you buy the Panasonic), manual controls, a great macro and an amazing panoramic ccd (16:9).

JaCy

JoeMartin said:
Earthbound series in Japan.

What an difference in names, I would have never guessed they were the same series.
I haven't played Earthbound either.
:lol

Awesome photo set, Arturo.

I still love my Famicom Micro. I haven't been using it as much lately, as I've finally been digging into my DS and PSP backlog, but the entire GB Micro line still one of the sexiest handheld systems ever. It was nice to be able to use a handheld system that actually did fit in a jacket pocket.

tim1138

Jazzem said:
That's the one I've got! :D

I'll be getting a green DS Lite this weekend to accompany it :)

I am so, SO jealous. I've been tempted to import that beautiful DS Lite, but I didn't even know the Micro existed until now sadly.

pachuco

I thought the GBM was okay looking. I didn't know it was backlit. I still have my GBA-SP, which I will probably keep for ever. I need it for all of my GB and GB color games.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
If that Mother 3 micro wasn't so fugly, I'd fork over a lot of cash to get that set.

Darnit Arturo, you're gonna make me start collecting these things. My problem at this point is going to be finding ones that are in box and as good condition as those.

Anywho, I have a silver one with black faceplate I play and my Famicom version on the way that I don't even plan on opening. Collectible!

Odrion

Banned
God I want a new micro.

A shame the US ones are crappy colors. I'd kill a mule for one of those blue or mint green ones.

japtor

maximumzero said:
I have a Black on Silver Micro and I'm gonna be picking up a Famicom Edition (To keep sealed as a collectible) from Play-Asia as soon as I can find a coupon code.

Anyone know where to find faceplates?
Nintendo's online store, assuming they still sell them. Or you can go big and just get the silver on black one too like I did a while back. There are four more faceplates actually (two per micro), but the later lower priced micro packages don't come with them. Not a huge deal unless you're an obsessive completionist (...I have them).

And looking at Arturo's pics, apparently only the US ones got that damn barcode/serial number strip on the back. That only comes to mind cause the clear plastic on top kinda eventually rubbed off on mine, then I worked off the barcode/number for some reason I don't remember (it was either sticky or getting smeared I think). Now I just have a white box left from that.

Did they ever make an all (or nearly all) white micro?

I started playing mine again a few days ago, I still feel this is the best piece of hardware Nintendo has ever created. And yes the dpad is one of the best ever created, too bad the DS lite and Wii ones are such a step back.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Odrion said:
God I want a new micro.

A shame the US ones are crappy colors. I'd kill a mule for one of those blue or mint green ones.

It's weird but I'm the exact opposite. I live in Europe and those blue/green ones were readily available, but I only wanted the black micro, which we didn't have. I ended up settling for silver

sweetfish

Gold Member
Picked up this beauty today, and I'm surprised how crisp and clear the screen is, not to mention how tiny the thing is. :lol

gbm_green.png

My famicom version just shipped from play-asia also, can't wait.

The_Dan_x

Neo Member
Holy crap, seeing all of the pics of the Micros makes me want to go out and buy more and more. Right now, I only have the black Mirco which I picked up during Christmas 2006 because they were so dang cheap ($40). Nintendo should have set them at $50 from the get-go and then it could have been a lot more successful.

Successful or not, the Mirco is indeed a thing of beauty. At the moment, I'm living in Japan and I sometimes see the FFIV Micro set and am always tempted to buy it. Hopefully before the end of this year it will be mine.

Sule

Wow, Nintendo sure did push the Micro hard with all those different colors/limited editions etc. All of them are beautiful.

Fewr

Princess Skittles said:
Quick question, if I get a European GBM, it should charge with the US charger, right?
I've got an american gb micro that I brought to the UK and I need to use a step down converter. I suppose you could check the product specs in amazon or another store to see if you need a step up / step down converter.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Fewr said:
I've got an american gb micro that I brought to the UK and I need to use a step down converter. I suppose you could check the product specs in amazon or another store to see if you need a step up / step down converter.
But are you using the US charger or did you get a UK charger and still needed the converter?

tim1138

sweetfish said:
Picked up this beauty today, and I'm surprised how crisp and clear the screen is, not to mention how tiny the thing is. :lol

My famicom version just shipped from play-asia also, can't wait.

Where did you get the Green Micro?

Fewr

Actually, I've got an American PSP, and a Japanese GB Micro and DS.

The Japanese GB Micro charger says:
INPUT: AC100V 50/60Hz 7VA
OUTPUT: DC5.2V 320mA

PSP charger says:
INPUT: 100V~240V 0.3A 50/60Hz
OUTPUT: 5V - 2A

The DS charger differs a bit, but it's basically the same as what the GB Micro says. All I know is that The Micro and the DS need the converter whereas the PSP doesn't.

bgudna

had to throw mine in here too! :D
DSC036062.jpg

i´ve mostly played mother1+2+3 on this wonderful piece of equipment, but I snagged this awesome Wario game on sale at play-asia and I can´t put it down...

Top Bottom