• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Watevaman

I'm level 40 in both, but I used the Indy trick to get A. As much as I liked GT5, I wasn't going to play as much as they wanted me to. I mainly did it to unlock the 24 hour races.

amar212

Congrats! Whats that Indy trick and does it still work? I'm level 34 and gave up on grinding.

For A-Spec you should not grind. Take your Ferrari F1 car into F1 seasonal, master the Nordschleife with 800PP and drown yourself in Aspec points for every one-lap-run. Other 4 tracks are great too.

For BSpec just go through all regular endurances, but take some advices overthere at GTPlanet to avoid problems regarding strategies and such. Or just use X1 for each of them and never look back.

Who has reached both A and B spec lvl 40?

This brings back memories. My plan all along was to grind it out the game, collect all cars and reach level 40 so i could concentrate on enjoying the game afterwards.

I was going as planned, the grinding was becoming tedious until the SSR7 Nurb exploits. I´ve made a bunch of points there and left some endurances b-spec running overnight.

I finnally got to level 40 sometime in 2011 and collected all the cars. Once i got the platinum, i thought, "well, now it´s time to enjoy the game", except the fact that most of my friends had already stopped playing online.

So what i take is this, the grinding was so absurd, that once i was finished, i ended up a bit bored with the game.

GT Academy, GAF races and a few races with some friends were the only great moments i had. Lately there´s not much going on the online scene.

I still have some endurances to do and the god awful X2010 special events. I think I'll reach 40 with one endurance alone but the X2010 events...

I heard it's easier with a controller but I can't drive to save my life with that.

Watevaman

Congrats! Whats that Indy trick and does it still work? I'm level 34 and gave up on grinding.

Back before they really updated the game, you could take the X2010 to one of the Indy races (the 10 lap one?) and setting up your controller properly with a rubber band allowed you to constantly win and start the race over automatically. I'm not sure if it still works, but it might be worth a shot looking it up.

This was before the seasonals and login bonuses came along, though.

spats

I attended the "Dramatic 4K experience" at the Sony building yesterday and got to play the Gran Turismo 4K demo too. I was left really impressed by the whole thing, but there were a few small technical things I noticed: mainly tearing and pop in. The screen tearing wasnt the same type you have in GT5, but it would tear both horizontally and vertically in the center, basically creating seams that split the view into four smaller screens. It was pretty minor but it was there. Then I dont remember if the spectators actually popped in or out on Eiger Nordwand (I dont think they did) but in the 4K demo a fair amount of them disappeared when you drove close enough to them. There seemed to be be some new or custom UI too. I have a few videos and pictures too - theres nothing terribly interesting to show but Ill try to get them up when I have the chance.

The car they set you up with was a BMW Z4. Seemed like all of the assists were on and you couldnt do manual shifting.

Im giving off a negative impression but it really was absolutely stunning. The tunnel section in Eiger running at a 4K res and 60fps was some next level stuff.

edit: sorry for the bad typing, not really figuring out this keyboard.

I attended the "Dramatic 4K experience" at the Sony building yesterday and got to play the Gran Turismo 4K demo too. I was left really impressed by the whole thing, but there were a few small technical things I noticed: mainly tearing and pop in. The screen tearing wasnt the same type you have in GT5, but it would tear both horizontally and vertically in the center, basically creating seams that split the view into four smaller screens. It was pretty minor but it was there. Then I dont remember if the spectators actually popped in or out on Eiger Nordwand (I dont think they did) but in the 4K demo a fair amount of them disappeared when you drove close enough to them. There seemed to be be some new or custom UI too. I have a few videos and pictures too - theres nothing terribly interesting to show but Ill try to get them up when I have the chance.

The car they set you up with was a BMW Z4. Seemed like all of the assists were on and you couldnt do manual shifting.

Im giving off a negative impression but it really was absolutely stunning. The tunnel section in Eiger running at a 4K res and 60fps was some next level stuff.

POOOOOOST IIIIIT

spats

Thanks for the info spats.

How big were the displays? How did textures looked?

It was being projected from what I assume was their top-end 4K projector. The tearing I described was probably a result from the way theyve offset one part of the screen for one ps3. The overall image was really bright and sharp and it must have been about three to four meters wide. Textures looked unchanged to me, but obviously the image quality was completely pristine. It was like looking at a poster in motion to my eyes.

benzy - yep, looked exactly like that apart from the slight tearing.

Buying one or more ps3 to buff up the resolution and performance would be awesome but I dont see it happening at this point, at least with GT5.

Sethos

Banned
Haven't played this game in ages, is it possible to access the TG track somehow without beating that certain race? I just want to mess around on the track, can't be bothered doing those frustrating races.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Downloaded and installed the latest update last night. What exactly did the update do? Also, due to renovation of the house I haven't been able to use the TV/PS3 for like a week. Was there some new GT5 DLC put up on the PS Store? If so, what is it?

Goldrusher

Downloaded and installed the latest update last night. What exactly did the update do? Was there some new GT5 DLC put up on the PS Store? If so, what is it?
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/09/19/new-dlc-on-its-way-for-gt5/

8003572461_be5b3b35a0.jpg

Meh. I rather have higher res/detailed textures with a stable frame rate.

That demo is 60fps locked. And yeah, higher res textures would be very nice. Can't wait for GT6, it better be for PS4 and it BETTER blow the competition away... the industry has moved a lot since GT5 came out.

raindoc

FYI:
you also made it into the austrian newspaper "Der Standard" online edition:
http://derstandard.at/1350258794904/Gran-Turismo-5-in-4K-Aufloesung-auf-vier-PlayStation-3s-spielbar

spats

http://www.gtplanet.net/snoop-dogg-to-headline-at-2012-gt-awards-november-1-at-palms-resort-in-las-vegas/

Hip-hop star Snoop Dogg (or “Snoop Lion”, as he now prefers to be called) will be headlining at the 2012 Gran Turismo Awards, to be held at the Palm Resort’s Rain Nightclub in Las Vegas, this Thursday, November 1st at 9:30pm.

Kazunori Yamauchi will also be announcing the “Best in Show” at the event, among the finalists in the five categories, Best Truck or SUV, Best Hot Rod, Best Domestic Automobile, Best European Import and Best Asian Import.

The overall winner, of course, will be playable in a future Gran Turismo title.

“Gran Turismo is the most real-deal driving game I have ever experienced,” said Snoop Lion. “I have been a PlayStation fan for years, and am excited to help make this 10th year celebration for the Gran Turismo Awards into an ‘off the hook’ affair.”

I hope he performs Dogg's Turismo live.

Toxa

Race with us tomorrow

The NeoGAF 100mi of Spa

YXEcf.png

Everybody is welcome to join.

Race starts in:
t1351972800z0.png

Allowed car:

All Super GT Cars (No Stealth Cars)

Tuning:
Cars will be balanced per NeoGAF SGT League Rules
After these chances only non PP tuning is allowed.
(New NSX specs pending).

Tyre Selection
Racing Hard​
Track:
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
Laps:
~23
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Heavy (Light damage only if requested by the majority of participants)​
Assists
ABS&TCS

Players Participating (6 / 16):
  • 01 - paskowitz
  • 02 - weekend_warrior
  • 03 - Toxa
  • 04 - Sleeplessnights
  • 05 - FootballFan
  • 06 - chillumchilla
  • 07 -
  • 08 -
  • 09 -
  • 10 -
  • 11 -
  • 12 -
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 -
  • R2 -
  • R3 -
  • R4 -
  • R5 -
  • R6 -
  • R7 -
  • R8 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7pm GMT
Lounge reset - 7:55pm GMT
Qualifications start - 8:00pm GMT
Race start - 8:15 GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules: Car balancing is TBD. We will probably use our old metric from the SGT League.

Standing start​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

As posted in the other thread:

I think it would be a good thing to sort of design the sound a little bit, and so that is something I would like to challenge ourselves with in the future.

Too real but they need to sort the sound design? Sounds like a miss translation/interpretation. He knows everyone has been complaining about the engine sounds.

The full question/awnser:

Critics often complain about the car engine sounds in GT5, claiming they sound sterile or artificial. What is your opinion on these engine sounds in GT5, and will these critics’ concerns be addressed in future games?

My perspective is that the sounds in Gran Turismo are just too real. With the recording method we use, we use a dyno and put the load on, and the sound we produce is just too accurate. I think it would be a good thing to sort of design the sound a little bit, and so that is something I would like to challenge ourselves with in the future.

What I find is that one of our themes with Gran Turismo is to create something that is real; that is what our team is focused on, but that can be an issue sometimes as well. If we see something in front of us, we try to reproduce that very accurately, and that tendency is getting stronger.

But, I think we maybe need to make things sexier sometimes, and I think that is something the Gran Turismo team might need to work on. It could also be because our team is growing in number, which could be one of our barriers to that goal.

Either way, glad that someone finally had the balls to question him on that.

Yeah, I think the translation might be off. Fact is that they do know what the cars should sound like. That's why they overlay real engine sounds for the cars in some of the trailers. Just give us those sounds and everyone will be happy.

paskowitz

The problem is not just their recordings, which maybe real, it is how the recordings are transferred into the game. Also, we all know that a car under dyno does not produce the same note as a car under load (driving on a road).

Basically it comes down to this. KY and team focus too much on the process, not the result. It does not matter how you get to the result, just that the result is what is real. In my opinion, this interview paints KY as inept and arrogant. He honestly does not have the ability to take a step back from his product and judge it dispassionately.

I look at what SMS are doing with pCARS, T10 are doing with Forza, and even iRacing and I see the genre innovating and growing. I look at GT and all I see is more of the same. You have to ask yourself, what has GT added to the "sim" racing genre in the last 10 years? The list is pretty short. In fact the biggest thing has nothing to do with the actual game, GT Academy.

The problem is not just their recordings, which maybe real, it is how the recordings are transferred into the game. Also, we all know that a car under dyno does not produce the same note as a car under load (driving on a road).

Basically it comes down to this. KY and team focus too much on the process, not the result. It does not matter how you get to the result, just that the result is what is real. In my opinion, this interview paints KY as inept and arrogant. He honestly does not have the ability to take a step back from his product and judge it dispassionately.

I look at what SMS are doing with pCARS, T10 are doing with Forza, and even iRacing and I see the genre innovating and growing. I look at GT and all I see is more of the same. You have to ask yourself, what has GT added to the "sim" racing genre in the last 10 years? The list is pretty short. In fact the biggest thing has nothing to do with the actual game, GT Academy.

If you compare it to offerings just on consoles and not PC, that list is actually pretty big. That's the problems of a limited hardware.

Also pCARS will be release like 3 years after GT5 was... and on PC.

paskowitz

If you compare it to offerings just on consoles and not PC, that list is actually pretty big. That's the problems of a limited hardware.

Also pCARS will be release like 3 years after GT5 was... and on PC.

Has nothing to do with the platform. The platform determines things like graphics, IQ, performance, and yes some features like night racing and weather. None of these things have to do with the actual game design.

Look at what pCARS is doing with pit crews, in car camera views, immersion, etc. Forza with online modes, customization and actual community cultivation. iRacing with its online career format is also very innovative.

Then you look at how GT has almost gone backwards. GT3 and to some extend GT4 had a far better structure.

Has nothing to do with the platform. The platform determines things like graphics, IQ, performance, and yes some features like night racing and weather. None of these things have to do with the actual game design.

Look at what pCARS is doing with pit crews, in car camera views, immersion, etc. Forza with online modes, customization and actual community cultivation. iRacing with its online career format is also very innovative.

Then you look at how GT has almost gone backwards. GT3 and to some extend GT4 had a far better structure.

Ofcourse it has everything to do with the platform. Pitcrews animations cost memory, helmet cam costs memory, etc... You're comparing a game on an open platform, releasing 3 years later, and being designed without even a set hardware. Once (if?) the game releases on consoles, not only will it be 30fps, it will also be extremely limited compared to the PC version. And I don't mean just as far as graphics go.

I also found it funny you say "Look at what pCARS is doing with pit crews", when you can easily say the same replacing pCARS with GT and GT with Forza. Just one example on how GT has done "nothing" to the genre.

Top Bottom