• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Pachimari

Is the consensus, that we have already seen Gran Turismo 6 in that latest trailer or is it still GT5 but a trailer with improved effects?

I'm all in for GT6 on PS4 even though I just recently bought GT5 - though, have been with this series since the first one on PSone.

AI has been busted for 5 games, it will not be better next time.

Sad but true.

GT5 Mobile has the best AI produced by Polyphony. Dat rubberbanding:

snap010lojub.jpg

Did cars crashing horribly on certain sections of tracks happen in the previous games? I'm thinking of Monaco chicane after the tunnel. The passing without bumps is much improved, but they should be aware of using slipstream which they ignore at the moment.
But it could be better, seeing cars combining into an unstoppable road train on Route X is a great sign of teamwork, i'm not sure that's great A.I.

Pachimari

I really need to get going with this game! I have only raced like one or two races and that's it.

I probably spent more than a 100 hours on Grab Turismo 2 and then GT3 came out and I were disappointed like never before. Though I imported GT4 and liked it but never got into it for real.

Gran Turismo 5 has to be that game where I make my grand return to the Gran Turismo scene. I even have two pair of wheels for it heh.

I really need to get going with this game! I have only raced like one or two races and that's it.

I probably spent more than a 100 hours on Grab Turismo 2 and then GT3 came out and I were disappointed like never before. Though I imported GT4 and liked it but never got into it for real.

Gran Turismo 5 has to be that game where I make my grand return to the Gran Turismo scene. I even have to pair of wheels for it heh.

What.

Pachimari

Well, I were not that old back then and were bored for some reason. It was a really weird feeling. I remember I totally quit the game when I found out there weren't any stop pit men or stuff going on when I drove to the stop pitt. Ridiculous!

EDIT:
Excuse me, I totally forgot my English here at 5 in the morning but what is the area called where to drive in to get your tires and all changed mid-race? It's definitely not COCKPIT.

EDIT 2:
Stop pit!

Hoplatee

I still remember getting the GT3 demo. Trial Mountain with the Mazda RX8 I think. Could have been Toyota Supra as well!

One of few gaming moments where my mind was just completely blown away by graphics. It was glorious. In some ways I liked 3 more than 4.

Also remember Amar showing the first Nurb footage (that I remember..) with his with his mighty BMW demo. Good times.

e) Somehow missed some posts and saw PS4 specs rumor. How excited should I be? Complete tech noob console wise.

Hoplatee

Pit stop.

I'm amazed that anyone could be disappointed with GT3. It absolute blow me away, the graphics, the physics, everything was phenomenal.

It also has by far the most awesome Seattle version. How that never made it into GT5 is just beyond me.

One of my favorite race tracks in well... any racing game.

Pachimari

Well I'm not saying GT3 were bad by any means. But I were probably too young for that kind of game back then, where I didn't understand any of it. :)

Today, I see Gran Turismo as a masterpiece.

Well I'm not saying GT3 were bad by any means. But I were probably too young for that kind of game back then, where I didn't understand any of it. :)

Today, I see Gran Turismo as a masterpiece.

Just to help you with your English, you're using 'were' incorrectly. 'Were' is a plural of the past tense, but you're using with a singular of the past tense, what you should be using is 'was'.

I was probably too young for that kind of game.

We were probably too young for that kind of game.

Pachimari

Just to help you with your English, you're using 'were' incorrectly. 'Were' is a plural of the past tense, but you're using with a singular of the past tense, what you should be using is 'was'.

I was probably too young for that kind of game.

We were probably too young for that kind of game.
You're actually right and I remember that rule. But it's great with a reminder.

spats

Spill it nao. ;)

Watching the Seattle part of the NSX trailer, it seems they went yet again with a high noon time of day... same case for Motegi. In GT4 both were afternoon.

hmm...

A sprawling city track with changing time of day and dynamic weather would be my dream. Would make for some killer time lapse videos (and awesome racing of course).

dubc35

They may have redesigned it to fit with the modern stadium area, I think we should find out soon enough.

They should. It has been almost 13 years since the Kingdome imploded. Highway 99 is also being redone too. Maybe if it comes out soon for GT5 I'll drive the roads it's based on and upload a video of it.

Mikey Jr.

One question guys:

1. Ok, I'm doing the amateur races where they want super cars. I bought a ford mustang '71. I upgraded some parts on it. The problem is that in game, the car wants to go faster than I can gear shift up.

Like, the needle will reach the red, and the light will come on saying to switch to the next gear, but I can't. The car is stuttering because it wants to go faster, but I can't do anything to make it go faster. I upgraded to the 5 speed transmission already, but its still the same problem.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I had the same problem with my pickup truck.

dubc35

Hi, you need to adjust the gear ratios. Usually this can only be accomplished via a fully adjustable 6 speed transmission. Buy it, then click on the dial icon where you can adjust it. You'll get an screen similar to one like these (random images I found via google):

transcomparo.jpg

The most user friendly way to adjust it is to click on the top speed part at the bottom right and increase it. There are some advantages to adjusting each gear individually but at this point the top speed adjustment should suit you fine.

e* as a rule of thumb you should aim to be at the redline (the red on the tachometer) in your top gear (usually 6th) at the end of the longest straight of each track.

Mikey Jr.

Hi, you need to adjust the gear ratios. Usually this can only be accomplished via a fully adjustable 6 speed transmission. Buy it, then click on the dial icon where you can adjust it. You'll get an screen similar to one like these (random images I found via google):

transcomparo.jpg

The most user friendly way to adjust it is to click on the top speed part at the bottom right and increase it. There are some advantages to adjusting each gear individually but at this point the top speed adjustment should suit you fine.

e* as a rule of thumb you should aim to be at the redline (the red on the tachometer) in your top gear (usually 6th) at the end of the longest straight of each track.

Ahh, ok, thanks. Now maybe I can actually beat that damned indy 500 with the pickup trucks.

Archon473

I finally bought a Formula Gran Turismo. Dear god this car is hard to control on anything that isn't an Indy track. It's the first I feel like I've actually had to use skill to control the car. Plus I'm sure using a controller doesn't help matter.

I completely agree. I broke in my FGT completing the Grand Valley Endurance race and found myself spinning anything I turned into corners while braking. The FGT requires a finer touch than the F1 cars of GT3 and cannot be abused like the invincible Red Bull Prototype X2011. I have not yet attempted the Formula GT Championship, but Kwicko at GTPlanet offers a guide to managing the B-Spec championship.

Dead Man

I completely agree. I broke in my FGT completing the Grand Valley Endurance race and found myself spinning anything I turned into corners while braking. The FGT requires a finer touch than the F1 cars of GT3 and cannot be abused like the invincible Red Bull Prototype X2011. I have not yet attempted the Formula GT Championship, but Kwicko at GTPlanet offers a guide to managing the B-Spec championship.

Good read, but I gave up on B speccing that one ages ago, too frustrating simply because Bob can't drive on the track.

amar212

... too frustrating simply because Bob can't drive on the track.

Taming and grooming a Bob is greatly satisfying process once you begin to do it right way.

I have 6 Bobs which can literally obliterate anything and anyone, anywhere and anytime. However, I was among the people who greatly enjoyed B-Spec back in the GT4 days and have invested lots of time to understand the way Bob is groomed in GT5.

GT5 elevated the B-Spec experience ten-fold and greatest work has been done in the very grooming process. However, I can understand the frustration of 99% of players who just couldn't understand the path, because game ultimately failed to deliver any kind of meaningful guide regarding the ways players should tackle B-Spec.

Despite having great, great, great in-game manual, GT5's guides (even the Apex book or official Prima Guide) is just not enough. They really did a wrong job with that because I am certain how 90% of initial dissatisfaction of players would never happen if they knew how to communicate their design-decisions as well as in-game philosophy and some GT-unique quirks to players. And B-Spec is just one of those fields.

I hope they will learn for the GT6, because I am assured how reception of GT5 would be 500% better if all those details would have been communicated properly for majority of players.

Dawg

Probably getting the GT5 Academy Edition today, but I've got a few questions (it's been a while since I played prologue):

-Is the game do-able for a "casual racer"? I've completed Burnout: Paradise and most NFS games, but GT5 has always been on a different level. I remember enjoying GT5: Prologue though, but then I tried out the GT5 demo (long time ago) and the driving was totally different and it felt much harder than prologue

-Is there a lot of DLC in the Academy Edition? Is it a GOTY edition or more of a "every free update included with a few extra cars" edition?

-Is it
FUN?

Angst

Probably getting the GT5 Academy Edition today, but I've got a few questions (it's been a while since I played prologue):

-Is the game do-able for a "casual racer"? I've completed Burnout: Paradise and most NFS games, but GT5 has always been on a different level. I remember enjoying GT5: Prologue though, but then I tried out the GT5 demo (long time ago) and the driving was totally different and it felt much harder than prologue

-Is there a lot of DLC in the Academy Edition? Is it a GOTY edition or more of a "every free update included with a few extra cars" edition?

-Is it
FUN?

It's certainly do-able for a "casual racer". Question is - will you have any fun?

Don't get me wrong, GT5 is my most played game ever, but it's not for everyone.

Dawg

It's certainly do-able for a "casual racer". Question is - will you have any fun?

Don't get me wrong, GT5 is my most played game ever, but it's not for everyone.

Well, that's the question. Thing is, I LOVE collecting cars. And this seems like the game that would fulfill that passion. I'm just not too sure about the driving style. Like I said, I loved prologue driving, but GT5 felt different.

Angst

Well, that's the question. Thing is, I LOVE collecting cars. And this seems like the game that would fulfill that passion. I'm just not too sure about the driving style. Like I said, I loved prologue driving, but GT5 felt different.

Then it should just be a matter of adjustment. Driving style and feel of the track is MUCH better in GT5 than in Prologue. Having a wheel helps improves the enjoyment dramatically as well.

Dead Man

Taming and grooming a Bob is greatly satisfying process once you begin to do it right way.

I have 6 Bobs which can literally obliterate anything and anyone, anywhere and anytime. However, I was among the people who greatly enjoyed B-Spec back in the GT4 days and have invested lots of time to understand the way Bob is groomed in GT5.

GT5 elevated the B-Spec experience ten-fold and greatest work has been done in the very grooming process. However, I can understand the frustration of 99% of players who just couldn't understand the path, because game ultimately failed to deliver any kind of meaningful guide regarding the ways players should tackle B-Spec.

Despite having great, great, great in-game manual, GT5's guides (even the Apex book or official Prima Guide) is just not enough. They really did a wrong job with that because I am certain how 90% of initial dissatisfaction of players would never happen if they knew how to communicate their design-decisions as well as in-game philosophy and some GT-unique quirks to players. And B-Spec is just one of those fields.

I hope they will learn for the GT6, because I am assured how reception of GT5 would be 500% better if all those details would have been communicated properly for majority of players.

The Apex book is great, but yeah, Bspec detail is lacking. I love the idea of B spec, and GT4 was great. Pure B spec races never really interested me, I liked being able to use Bob as a team and drive the same race together.

Niks

For me personally, B-spec was one of the weaker points of GT5.. no point in it really.

Business

Yes it's perfectly doable in my opinion. With all aids on it shoudln't be frustrating for anyone.

For me personally, B-spec was one of the weaker points of GT5.. no point in it really.

Agreed.

Dibbz

How do you get the Stingray?

I downloaded it and installed it, but i didnt received any gift in game. :/

You got to go to the DLC option in the main menu and install from there if you haven't. It's the red icon to the right at the very first screen.

dubc35

Same here, I wish they wouldn't waste their time on it. That said, I have not looked in to the process of training your Bob. Maybe I would like it if I knew more about it. As is I come very close to falling asleep when even doing a 5 lap b-spec race on Tsukuba.

Total opposite for me. I reckon I have spent more time with B-spec than A-spec.

I became totally addicted to watching my little fella work his way up the field and go on to win races. The only thing I hated about it was the total lack of ability to negotiate that damned chicane at Monaco. That is something they should have fixed a long time ago.

Dawg

GT5 seems to benefit a lot from my SSD. I used a spare 128gb ssd (I didn't have a spare HDD) and the "optional" installation only took ~15 minutes. Loading times seem to be half of an HDD as well.

Coolio.

amar212

GT5 seems to benefit a lot from my SSD..

It does. My friend has installed SSD and he says how GT5 literally flies.

He says how he does GT Auto Machosim™ routines in the blink of an eye (get in car, go to GTAuto, change oil, refresh chassis, rebuild engine, save & exit, step& repeat with another car) and how races are loading in stellar speed (track loading / AI loading).

He also reports how overall speed of in-game transitions within GUI are halved in speed.

TCLSS - SDD upgrade does wonders for GT5

The Apex book is great, but yeah, Bspec detail is lacking. I love the idea of B spec, and GT4 was great. Pure B spec races never really interested me, I liked being able to use Bob as a team and drive the same race together.

I bought the Signature Edition and have never looked at the Apex book :-/ Also I believe my original Japanese Gran Turismo had a seperate driving styles book too (in Japanese)

GT5 seems to benefit a lot from my SSD. I used a spare 128gb ssd (I didn't have a spare HDD) and the "optional" installation only took ~15 minutes. Loading times seem to be half of an HDD as well.

Coolio.

I have a spare 128GB disc as well, but sadly my digital games would take up too much room I think. It's tempting to do given that I'm on a 30meg line and getting back my old games shouldn't be too hard as and when I want them.

Top Bottom