• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida man shoots out tires of AT&T truck outside home

http://wsvn.com/news/local/elderly-hialeah-man-shoots-out-tires-of-att-truck-on-property/

HIALEAH, FLA. (WSVN) - A retired Miami-Dade firefighter took extreme measures to get AT&T workers to remove their trucks from his property, Wednesday morning.

According to Hialeah Police, the AT&T utility employees were working on lines near a home located near the corner of Southeast Fifth Place and Sixth Avenue when the resident, identified as 64-year-old Jorge Jove, came outside and approached them, at around 11 a.m.

“The owner of the house came out,” said Hialeah Police Sgt. Carl Zogby. “He was upset that the trucks were parked in front of his house, asked them to move.”

Police said the workers told Jove they would remove the vehicle as soon as they were finished with their repairs, but that did not appear to satisfy him. “They said, ‘We’ll move in a few minutes. We’re just working on the poles. We’re supposed to be here,'” said Zogby. “He went back into his house, came out a few moments later with a gun and started firing at both AT&T trucks that were on the scene.”

Cellphone video captures the gun-toting homeowner as he circled the trucks and opened fire. “There’s a guy shooting out my tires. There’s a guy shooting out my tires,” the employee is heard telling police in cellphone video of the incident, followed by audio of air hissing out of the tires.

The worker who recorded the video then called 911 asking for help as Jove continued reloading a second and third time. Meanwhile, a second AT&T employee was up in the air working on one of the poles.

The footage also shows Jove taking aim at one of the trucks’ engines. “He flattened their tires, he shot into the bodies of the trucks, he shot at one of the radiators of the trucks,” said Zogby. “We’re trying to determine now whether he was actually intentionally trying to shoot the workers or just shoot the vehicles.”

In all, police said, Jove unloaded at least 18 shots. “He seemed to be a quiet man, and something made him snap today,” said Zogby.

No injuries were reported.

Speaking to 7News in Spanish, Jove’s neighbor said she was stunned after seeing the video showing Jove, whom she knows well. “Never, never. This man is impeccable,” said Luisa Morales. “He’s a retired firefighter. He’s an impeccable man.”

Morales said this is not the first time Jove has confronted AT&T employees outside his property. “They had a discussion because he didn’t want them in front of the driveway,” she said. “It has happened before, and they had to repair it, and he asked them to remove the truck out of the driveway.”

AT&T released a statement in response to the incident that read, “We’re grateful nobody was hurt, and we’re working with law enforcement in their investigation. Because there’s an active investigation, I need to refer you to them for any questions.”

Police took Jove into custody and questioned him. The investigation is ongoing.

Lkr

"Something made him snap"
It's the fucking weather!!!

Shooting the tires just means they won't be able to move the trucks

Socivol

My issues is he wasn't charged with anything when there was a video. I don't understand what investigation you need to do to determine that man destroyed property.

Pagusas

Elden Member
is Florida one of the states with a server penalty for discharging a weapon in public without cause? I recall someone getting a lot of jail time for shooting into the air once, and thought it was florida

jfkgoblue

My issues is he wasn't charged with anything when there was a video. I don't understand what investigation you need to do to determine that man destroyed property.
They don't know whether to just charged with vandalism or also attempted murder on top of it.

tkscz

"I want you to move your trucks!"

"We can't, we are working, but will move them when we finish"

*Shoots trucks making them unable to move them*

I understand being pissed if the workers keep doing it, but not enough to do this.

Socivol

is Florida one of the states with a server penalty for discharging a weapon in public without cause? I recall someone getting a lot of jail time for shooting into the air once, and thought it was florida

Yup it was a black woman. She fired warning shots and got sent to prison for years.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
By Jove, he got it!

tlAcFKU.jpg

BriGuy

The AT&T guys should send a photo of their trucks parked in his driveway (maybe with a bikini clad girl sitting on one of the hoods, like an album cover from a 1980s hair band) to him in prison.

In all, police said, Jove unloaded at least 18 shots. “He seemed to be a quiet man, and something made him snap today,” said Zogby.

Responsible gun owner turns crazy. That's why we need more gun regulation.

If he was doing this in protest of AT&T's awful customer service I'd understand, but this is too much for just a parking nuisance.

WarLox

So he fired off 18 shots and gets taken into custody? Lol

I'm surprised he made it out alive. I need to see a picture of this guy to confirm my suspensions. Lol

Assholes from Cox parked on top of brand new grass I had planted.

When they wouldn't move I started filling their van with my hose.

Suddenly they were able to move their van what a shocker.

Yup it was a black woman. She fired warning shots and got sent to prison for years.

Defending oneself from violence when black gets you years of jail time in Florida. Perpetrating violence against others for "reasons" makes you a hero when white in Florida.

The law couldn't be any more clear people!

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
He clearly wasn't trying to injure anyone, just really f up the trucks.

Just charge him with reckless endangerment and have him pay a fine and for damage to the trucks then move on.

If this guy is a real firefighter he knows that his property line doesn't extend into the street and those trucks were allowed to be there.

Keasar

What does he expect to solve? He wants them to move, but now they can't even move so even if the workers would try to move them the trucks are on flat tires and cant!

So in this case, he might get a small fine?

WarLox

He clearly wasn't trying to injure anyone, just really f up the trucks.

Just charge him with reckless endangerment and have him pay a fine and for damage to the trucks then move on.

If this guy is a real firefighter he knows that his property line doesn't extend into the street and those trucks were allowed to be there.

Nope... throw the book at him. He wasn't in any kind danger and he could have killed someone. I hope he goes to prison.

Top Bottom