• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanity Fair debuts four The Last Jedi covers

-griffy-

Banned
It's a multibillion dollar franchise, I would think all of their media should be carefully vetted and implemented. I'm not gonna walk back what I said because if I'm paying that much for a shoot I would like for them to be near perfect. But if there's a fold out then that would make more sense, I hate how it came out to be on the cover though.

I don't really get what the problem with that cover is. She's a new character, of course the established characters that people already know and love are gonna be more prominent.

mortal

Gold Member
yeah, here's the pic w/ no text & uncropped

DAhtWmIXsAUZBQU.jpg

That whole look is cold as fuck, wow. Almost like an old masters painting.

matt360

Reminder:

This is a 100% Rian Johnson movie. Written and Directed.

Everyone who has read Johnson's script has noted that it fucked with them, and it will do very weird things to Star Wars.

Guy wrote and directed Brick, Brothers Bloom, and Looper, and also directed the two best episodes of Breaking Bad.

Also, John Williams has been scoring this movie since December.

So with episodes 7, 8, and 9 all having different writers and directors, how is the story coming together? Did the Lucasfilm storygroup create the basic storyline and then let the directors kind of fill in the gaps, or do they just work together with the directors/writers while they come up with each new script? Even with Rian penning the script, surely there are still plenty of places he's been told he can't go. I really have no idea how any of this works.

bill0527

So with episodes 7, 8, and 9 all having different writers and directors, how is the story coming together? Did the Lucasfilm storygroup create the basic storyline and then let the directors kind of fill in the gaps, or do they just work together with the directors/writers while they come up with each new script? Even with Rian penning the script, surely there are still plenty of places he's been told he can't go. I really have no idea how any of this works.

It was my understanding (and I'm sure a bigger SW nerd will correct me if I'm wrong) that JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan laid out the arc of the trilogy for the main and returning characters and it's up to the writers and directors of the successive movies to fill in the gaps. They were also flexible in changing some things if asked by the other writers and directors. Rian Johnson did ask for some changes in TFA to flow better with his story but they weren't major changes, just a few little details.

It was my understanding (and I'm sure a bigger SW nerd will correct me if I'm wrong) that JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan laid out the arc of the trilogy for the main and returning characters and it's up to the writers and directors of the successive movies to fill in the gaps.

Nope!

I had thought the same as The Force Awakens was finishing up, but as it turns out - neither Abrams or Kasdan had time to plan out a whole arc for the sequel trilogy, and any plans that there might have been were not used (or even really fleshed out enough to be considered).

The Story Group at Lucasfilm also doesn't steer what direction the stories are going to go. Their function is less as an engine and more maintenance, I guess: The writers/directors get to chart their course and travel wherever they wanna go. The story group is supposed to figure out how to make that fit in the universe as smoothly as possible, either by suggesting already existing characters/planets, or trying to find spots within that canon where the story they're writing will fit.

The Force Awakens was Kasdan and Abrams. Johnson came in and asked them to move some stuff around so he could do with Last Jedi what he wanted to do, and they acquiesced on a couple things. Johnson wrote and directed what he wanted to do. Trevorrow is going to pick up the ball from there and go where he wants to go. Johnson had written a treatment for Episode 9, but whatever he wrote isn't being used, and whatever they were going to do had to get rewritten anyway due to Fisher's death.

There isn't any real overarching plan.

As per the Original Trilogy, and the Prequel Trilogy, and the strategy employed by a certain Professor Henry Jones Jr. - they're making it up as they go.

wandering

Banned
It's a multibillion dollar franchise, I would think all of their media should be carefully vetted and implemented. I'm not gonna walk back what I said because if I'm paying that much for a shoot I would like for them to be near perfect. But if there's a fold out then that would make more sense, I hate how it came out to be on the cover though.

Do you really think that the photographer is responsible for the final composition of the cover? The photo would have been cropped and manipulated by a designer. Take it up with Vanity Fair.

As far as the films go, the Lucasfilm Story Group is really just a resource made available to the filmmakers to use to facilitate continuity. The directors and writers for each film have complete creative control over their films.

TFA's story was entirely JJ, Kasdan, and to a lesser extent Arndt. Although JJ and Kasdan naturally had ideas of where the storylines they setup in TFA would go, and shared those notes with Rian for TLJ (who also gave some notes back to JJ for tweaks he wanted to help setup his plans for TLJ), Rian has said he had as much creative freedom on TLJ as he's ever had on any of his films. The movie he made was 100% his through and through, and he wasn't beholden to some rigid grand scheme JJ and co. concocted. Meanwhile, while Rian did a story treatment for Ep. IX and gave a lot of notes to Trevorrow, and I imagine JJ and Kasdan passed off a few minor notes and ideas as well, the treatment got torn up when Fisher died and Trevorrow started over from scratch and will, as with JJ and Rian before him, be making the movie he wants to make.

So basically:
- each director/writer team has full control over their movie
- the teams give each other notes to help set up their own movies and explain what they had in mind when they set up their various plot lines
- none of those notes actually have to be "obeyed"
- the Story Group is available to give directors/writers an easy way to maintain consistency without doing the research for themselves, and help with background elements (like, "this existing ship would be a good thing to use here, since it was built by ___ and used for ___"), but doesn't actually take the reins

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.

As per the Original Trilogy, and the Prequel Trilogy, and the strategy employed by a certain Professor Henry Jones Jr. - they're making it up as they go.

Is this for real? That's worrisome...

The previous trilogies, even the OT, are very uneven in quality. I was hoping this new trilogy would have been mapped out in advance to keep the quality more consistent and avoid another ROTJ situation. *sigh*

Is this for real? That's worrisome...

The previous trilogies, even the OT, are very uneven in quality. I was hoping this new trilogy would have been mapped out in advance to keep the quality more consistent and avoid another ROTJ situation. *sigh*

While Trevorrow having complete control over the finale of what is quite possibly shaping up to be my favorite Star Wars trilogy is pretty terrifying to me, I actually prefer that there's not some rigid roadmap that the actual writers and directors have limited control over. It's precisely why I'm so excited to see TLJ and its thorough Rian Johnson-ness.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
re: Phasma - she wasn't TR-8R because TR-8R is dead as hell, and she had an extremely limited role in TFA because her character was squeezed into the movie somewhat late in development purely because JJ really, really liked the chrome Stormtrooper design and didn't want to completely discard it after they settled on Kylo Ren as the main villain.

Odds are TLJ will actually make use of her, now that's already been established.

Goddamn she looks amazing.

Best Leia outfit.

It looks cool.

I mean, like, that's probably more or less the canon even. It's a flashy uniform that denotes her status.

I'm really struggling to come up with a good reason for this comment popping up throughout the thread...

Not sure what your problem is with me and others simply not liking it?

What point is it that you think you're clarifying for me here

Jesus

Christ.

Get off your high horse already. People are allowed to have differing opinions - I never attacked anyone for what they liked or didn't like; you should have the maturity to do the same. I dislike all the covers ... even the Leia one doesn't look quite right to me. The worst of the lot are the First Order goons ...

Get off your high horse already. People are allowed to have differing opinions

I didn't say you can't have one. I just remarked on how bad it was.

You can have that bad opinion, if you think it's that precious to you. (shrug)

edit: You see him wearing the glove in the trailer.

Do you really think that the photographer is responsible for the final composition of the cover? The photo would have been cropped and manipulated by a designer. Take it up with Vanity Fair.

Pretty sure they didn't know who Annie Leibovitz was, either.

Not sure what your problem is with me and others simply not liking it?

Get off your high horse already. People are allowed to have differing opinions - I never attacked anyone for what they liked or didn't like; you should have the maturity to do the same. I dislike all the covers ... even the Leia one doesn't look quite right to me. The worst of the lot are the First Order goons ...

That got defensive.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I didn't say you can't have one. I just remarked on how bad it was.

You can have that bad opinion, if you think it's that precious to you. (shrug)

edit: You see him wearing the glove in the trailer.

Pretty sure they didn't know who Annie Leibovitz was, either.

You failed to explain why it was a bad opinion; instead you resorted to being patronising and then predictably bringing up Annie.

Annie's work is fantastic, but these covers fall flat for me. What works for you obviously may not work for me. That's art for you.

That got defensive.

Wasn't intended be: just responding to your drive-by on my post.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wait, did someone really suggest the photographer be fired because they didn't like the positioning of a a single person in one out of 4 photos?

You failed to explain why it was a bad opinion; instead you resorted to being patronising and then predictably bringing up Annie.

Annie's work is fantastic, but these covers fall flat for me. What works for you obviously may not work for me. That's art for you.

Wasn't intended be: just responding to your drive-by on my post.

You yourself haven't actually explained what exactly is wrong with Kelly. You literally just said she "detracted" from the photo she was in and nothing else, followed by "what's your problem bro", "geeze, no one's allowed to have opinions anymore?", and a reframing of the context of the exchanges when pressed. Add in bizarre comments from other posters, like whatever the fuck "she looks so out of place and bad. Like she is in some sitcom or lady from Interview movie" is, and I'm uh, curious.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
You yourself haven't actually explained what exactly is wrong with Kelly. You literally just said she "detracted" from the photo she was in and nothing else, followed by "what's your problem bro", "geeze, no one's allowed to have opinions anymore?", and a reframing of the context of the exchanges when pressed. Add in bizarre comments from other posters, like whatever the fuck "she looks so out of place and bad. Like she is in some sitcom or lady from Interview movie" is, and I'm uh, curious.

These type of arguments are pointless. I can turn your post back on you and ask you why you think the covers are great. I could have used your words against you by saying that 'I'm waiting for a good reason why people think they're good covers". But I didn't because the covers are different things to different people.

I don't understand the sitcom comments either but what I do know is that the covers don't work for me and that's all there is to it. As for my problem with Kelly, I think she's framed poorly in that shot, and her outfit clashes negatively with the other two. Maybe if she was in the middle and the other two flanked her but that would raise other questions about the significance of her role in the movie.

These type of arguments are pointless. I can turn your post back on you and ask you why you think the covers are great. I could have used your words against you by saying that 'I'm waiting for a good reason why people think they're good covers". But I didn't because the covers are different things to different people.

I literally never once in this thread took a stance on the quality covers, so no, you couldn't turn it against me, but ok. Perhaps you're conflating me with Bobby or someone else somehow, or perhaps you're just saying shit.

And forgive me if I find your explanation dubious. You said Kelly detracted the photo, not her framing or her outfit, and took multiple, frankly odd posts to get around to making your it.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I literally never once in this thread took a stance on the quality covers, so no, you couldn't turn it against me, but ok. Perhaps you're conflating me with Bobby or someone else somehow, or perhaps you're just saying shit.

And forgive me if I find your explanation dubious. You said Kelly detracted the photo, not her framing or her outfit, and took multiple, frankly odd posts to get around to making your it.

Then why didn't you ask the same question of the folk that received the covers positively? Why single us out? What's your agenda?

What part of the word 'detract' don't you understand? You ask me to clarify why I thought that cover failed, I provide the reasons and you still have your panties in a twist. Your last sentence isn't even coherent.

matt360

Nope!

I had thought the same as The Force Awakens was finishing up, but as it turns out - neither Abrams or Kasdan had time to plan out a whole arc for the sequel trilogy, and any plans that there might have been were not used (or even really fleshed out enough to be considered).

The Story Group at Lucasfilm also doesn't steer what direction the stories are going to go. Their function is less as an engine and more maintenance, I guess: The writers/directors get to chart their course and travel wherever they wanna go. The story group is supposed to figure out how to make that fit in the universe as smoothly as possible, either by suggesting already existing characters/planets, or trying to find spots within that canon where the story they're writing will fit.

The Force Awakens was Kasdan and Abrams. Johnson came in and asked them to move some stuff around so he could do with Last Jedi what he wanted to do, and they acquiesced on a couple things. Johnson wrote and directed what he wanted to do. Trevorrow is going to pick up the ball from there and go where he wants to go. Johnson had written a treatment for Episode 9, but whatever he wrote isn't being used, and whatever they were going to do had to get rewritten anyway due to Fisher's death.

As far as the films go, the Lucasfilm Story Group is really just a resource made available to the filmmakers to use to facilitate continuity. The directors and writers for each film have complete creative control over their films.

TFA's story was entirely JJ, Kasdan, and to a lesser extent Arndt. Although JJ and Kasdan naturally had ideas of where the storylines they setup in TFA would go, and shared those notes with Rian for TLJ (who also gave some notes back to JJ for tweaks he wanted to help setup his plans for TLJ), Rian has said he had as much creative freedom on TLJ as he's ever had on any of his films. The movie he made was 100% his through and through, and he wasn't beholden to some rigid grand scheme JJ and co. concocted. Meanwhile, while Rian did a story treatment for Ep. IX and gave a lot of notes to Trevorrow, and I imagine JJ and Kasdan passed off a few minor notes and ideas as well, the treatment got torn up when Fisher died and Trevorrow started over from scratch and will, as with JJ and Rian before him, be making the movie he wants to make.

So basically:
- the teams give each other notes to help set up their own movies and explain what they had in mind when they set up their various plot lines
- none of those notes actually have to be "obeyed"
- the Story Group is available to give directors/writers an easy way to maintain consistency without doing the research for themselves, and help with background elements (like, "this existing ship would be a good thing to use here, since it was built by ___ and used for ___"), but doesn't actually take the reins

Thank you both for your replies. That's actually very surprising to hear! I would have thought at the very least there would be a road map with Lucasfilm saying to the writers/directors, "Here is your destination, and you need to make these stops along the way. But besides that, how you get there is up to you." But instead they are saying, "Yeah man, go where you wanna go."

I think that's actually really cool. I can certainly understand why that would be worrisome for some people, but flying by the seat of your pants is more Star Wars anyways. The end product may come out more divisive, but they should at least be more interesting that way.

But I wonder how much is real freedom and how much of this is the illusion of freedom? I'm just being cynical, but would Disney really let a crap Star Wars movie hit theaters? We all know what happened with the Rogue One reshoots, no matter how hard they try to spin that as par for the course.

jediyoshi

Okay! When the "look" we're discussing is a look that is very obviously being tightly tied to why and how the villain works as a villain, what do you think my criticism of that particular connection is speaking to? If your criticism of the villain who is villainous because he's not a badass is that "he doesn't look like a badass" then what is it you think I'm trying to get at when I address that criticism?

So again: What is it you think you're clarifying for me that I didn't already understand?

Right, you're continually talking about, within the universe, how this character chooses to portray himself.

What people are talking about insofar as looks is, literally Adam Driver's face, in a vacuum, and how its qualities pertain to notions of how evil characters look.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'm really, really, really curious how they're planning to write out Carrie Fisher in this trilogy, and whether this film will end in any kind of capacity that will allow them to do it with some degree of elegance.

But I wonder how much is real freedom and how much of this is the illusion of freedom? I'm just being cynical, but would Disney really let a crap Star Wars movie hit theaters? We all know what happened with the Rogue One reshoots, no matter how hard they try to spin that as par for the course.
I think it's worth considering there may be a difference in approach between the Saga films versus the Story films. For VII/VIII/IX, all they had layed out is "new trilogy, return of some old characters" and hired directors to fill the films with their own story.

With the Story/Anthology films, they seem to be figuring out the general story, premise, or characters to focus on first and then hiring separate writers and directors to make that story. Rogue One had a lot of different writers from the very start, who were hired to flesh out John Knoll's idea. With the Han Solo film as well you've got the Kasdans writing and Lord/Miller directing. Saga films are all written by the directors, with whatever partners they choose to work with.

I mean, obviously they aren't going to let a true lemon out there. Then again, other mega movies like Jurassic World exist and were let out into the world. There is only so much you can course correct, and I would say Lucasfilm did their due diligence up front with the Saga directors.

What people are talking about insofar as looks is, literally Adam Driver's face, in a vacuum, and how its qualities pertain to notions of how evil characters look.

It's not in a vacuum, Yosh.

This scab didn't need picking 2 days later if this was how you were gonna eat it.

Top Bottom