• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Quasar

http://www.nixon.com/au/en/mens-smart

Interesting looking sports androidwear watch. Good to see someone trying. Though really what I want is something like the featureset of a Garmin fenix or vivoactive hr in a androidwear watch. Of course shit battery life (compared to the 5 days+ on a fitness watch) make things like sleep tracking pretty impossible.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have the Vive and it's ok. I'm bored of it. No games. Google VR will be worse. So don't get excited for it.

I hear Amazon's Alexa is actually p cool. I'm interested to see Google's take on it.

Quasar

I have the Vive and it's ok. I'm bored of it. No games. Google VR will be worse. So don't get excited for it.

Well its only weeks out. Its going to take a while for games to come for Viva and Occulus. Its the whole chicken and egg thing.

As for AndroidVR, I expect more non-game stuff. I guess it will be just like Samsungs VR. Hell maybe worse in terms of ability as at least with that you can pair it with a bleeding edge phone. If androidVR includes a standalone headset I can't imagine it being on par processing-wise unless its expensive.

Quasar

and Google Chirp (like Amazon's Alexa).

Finally. I always thought Google should have been first to that, but things like the kinect scare campaign scared em off.

Hell I though Apple should have had that as part of AppleTV (as well as being a homekit hub).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well its only weeks out. Its going to take a while for games to come for Viva and Occulus. Its the whole chicken and egg thing.

As for AndroidVR, I expect more non-game stuff. I guess it will be just like Samsungs VR. Hell maybe worse in terms of ability as at least with that you can pair it with a bleeding edge phone. If androidVR includes a standalone headset I can't imagine it being on par processing-wise unless its expensive.
Dev kits have been out for years. It sucks that we're still waiting.

I noticed my 6P has started to vibrate for one moment once or twice a day for the past few days, showing no notification or any other sign that anything has happened...

Quasar

Dev kits have been out for years. It sucks that we're still waiting.

Vive dev kits havent. And I think its going to take a while to see devs get a handle on it all...doubly so the vive with its room scale actions.

I thnk at best were going to just see small downloadables or modes added to other games for a while.

Quasar

I'm in for Chirp if it's cheaper than Echo.

For me the simple fact is I dont really use amazon services. And devs seem to have been slow to integrate echo into android apps. Plus of course Echo still isnt available in Australia. And while I could import...I'm unsure how Amazon voice recog handles Australian accents.

So I did consider trying to import a dot as its cheaper....but getting one seems a problem.

Hopefully with a google device I'll be able to do things like control AndroidTV devices or chromecasts.

I'm gonna start using Two Factor Authentication for my Google account.
What will happen with mobile apps that require a Google sign-in? Will there be a force log-out in all of them or will this all go smoothly?
Pretty sure they still have the app based passwords Google generates for stuff like that

Quasar

Pretty sure they still have the app based passwords Google generates for stuff like that

Yeah. It went smoothly for me. I dont even think I've needed to use many app passcodes. Really the biggest hassle has been when I've switched phones and had to reset the authenticator.

ctfg23

I'm getting a small red exclamation point when I try to preview a song in the play store. I can still download apps through the store and can listen to music in the play music app so I don't think it's an issue with my account. Has anyone else experienced this?

Dobsie

I'm losing about 12% battery overnight on my 6p, isn't doze meant to make it so it's only a couple of %? I haven't rooted it so can't install a wakelock detector.
My old g2 running cm13 would only lose about 2% over the same period (8 hours)

Asgaro

I'm losing about 12% battery overnight on my 6p, isn't doze meant to make it so it's only a couple of %? I haven't rooted it so can't install a wakelock detector.
My old g2 running cm13 would only lose about 2% over the same period (8 hours)

Since recently there is a non-rooted way to get Wakelock Detector working:
Tutorial: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1r3VlhZIZVSufZlAeICJet6QBtyAF7z06_ysl1kUKME4/edit#slide=id.p
App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uzumapps.wakelockdetector.noroot
Support thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2179651

I'm also currently experiencing wakelocks, due to Google Play Services. Still trying to figure out what app is the cause. (Or can Google Play Services in itself be a drain? It got an update recently...)

Restarting the device fixes it but only momentarily. The next day or so after a restart, the wakelock seems to come back.

(Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. v6.0.1)

edit: Turning off Location system-wide seems to stop it. It's something

Dobsie

Since recently there is a non-rooted way to get Wakelock Detector working:
Tutorial: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1r3VlhZIZVSufZlAeICJet6QBtyAF7z06_ysl1kUKME4/edit#slide=id.p
App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uzumapps.wakelockdetector.noroot
Support thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2179651

I'm also currently experiencing wakelocks, due to Google Play Services. Still trying to figure out what app is the cause. (Or can Google Play Services in itself be a drain? It got an update recently...)

Restarting the device fixes it but only momentarily. The next day or so after a restart, the wakelock seems to come back.

(Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. v6.0.1)

edit: Turning off Location system-wide seems to stop it. It's something
Thanks, think I may have figured out what it was. I had WiFi set to "always on" under the "keep WiFi on during sleep" menu, I've changed it to "only when plugged in", I will see how it does tonight but I'm hopeful this is the cause.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just randomly went and hooked my daughter up with a cheap laptop. Ending up going with the super entry level Chromebook. They had a Win 10 model, but it was $50 more. She only uses the web browser as it is, and if she needs to type something small she can use GDocs or Office Online.

For only $150 the specs aren't gonna wow anyone. That's cheap as fuck though, and the demo unit browser ran perfectly fine.

Plus I don't have to worry about a ton of shit to install or updates or any of that. She'll just get the chrome os update and be good to go.

Hasney

Just randomly went and hooked my daughter up with a cheap laptop. Ending up going with the super entry level Chromebook. They had a Win 10 model, but it was $50 more. She only uses the web browser as it is, and if she needs to type something small she can use GDocs or Office Online.

For only $150 the specs aren't gonna wow anyone. That's cheap as fuck though, and the demo unit browser ran perfectly fine.

Plus I don't have to worry about a ton of shit to install or updates or any of that. She'll just get the chrome os update and be good to go.

Plus, if anything is ever too limited and you do need Windows, you can usually install it with only a little poking about.

clav

Keep going back and forth with a new phone.

I really hate how new phones make battery replacement impossible.

Plus, if anything is ever too limited and you do need Windows, you can usually install it with only a little poking about.

Eh, unless it's a Haswell Chromebook, you're going to run into some issues.

Vanillalite

Eh, unless it's a Haswell Chromebook, you're going to run into some issues.

She won't need Windows anytime soon anyways. By time she does there will be something else cheap to buy with Windows on it that's probably even faster.

Heck my Son has a decent laptop and is in Middle school. Only shit he uses is browser + Word + PowerPoint.

clav

Hopefully Google is serious about app integration with Android in Chromebook.

Otherwise, it just seems like PR piece.

Vanillalite

screenshot_20160514-12uuhn.png

Got that. Chrome OS site has msrp at $179, but BB had it for $149. Plus I had a $15 rewards cert.

For only $150 the specs aren't gonna wow anyone.

Keep in mind that Chromebooks demand far less than Windows laptops. Since everything is on the cloud and the operating system is super tiny, a Chromebook with slightly inferior specs to a Windows latops might very well still end up being faster.

My Toshiba Chromebook works very well. I'm very satisfied with it for basic web browsing and note taking. The screen and build quality is excellent too.

clav

I still have a C720 that I was thinking of converting to Windows 10, but I decided against it. Formally ran XUbuntu. One of few Chromebooks that have user replaceable hard drive slots and wifi cards.

CR-48 runs the latest XUbuntu although the hinges and casing fell apart. Google already abandoned Chrome OS for those users a while ago.

I like the simplicity from time to time although running some external apps would greatly benefit the system.

Vanillalite

I still got my old ass CR-48 as well. Hinges are fucked on that thing though, and its slow as a mother fucker lol

Bboy AJ

I still got my old ass CR-48 as well. Hinges are fucked on that thing though, and its slow as a mother fucker lol
My cr48 is unusable. I put Chrome OS on an old laptop and it's barely usable. Needs more ram.

Quasar

Ain't that the truth, sad to see the company go so far downhill so fast after the buyout.

Looked like just another rectangular screen with rounded corners to me. The robin is about the only phone thats done anything different in a long while. Or I guess sharp with its no bezel phone.

The pogo pins for addons is interesting, except that its another interface, I'd much rather see one android wide addon interface.

Vanillalite

Messed around with the girl child's Chromebook. Works great.

It's not super fast, but it was hardly slow. I also watched her play on first in math and that shit ran smooth.

She's just got to get use to the track pad gestures and the keyboard differences.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I noticed my 6P has started to vibrate for one moment once or twice a day for the past few days, showing no notification or any other sign that anything has happened...

If you are on 6.0.1 (this is fixed on N) and you blocked the notifications from an app that also vibrates on notification you'll get only the vibration and no notification at all.

Quasar

Chirp is going to be useless as an echo competitor unless they open it up to everything right away.

Well...as open as android and googlecast is would be good enough for me. I cant expect much more really. You're still going to see a fractured market...Amazon and Apple will not support it. Just like every other new thing.

Hangouts messages?
I don't use Hangouts, I opened it for the first time now to set it up and no messages show up there.
If you are on 6.0.1 (this is fixed on N) and you blocked the notifications from an app that also vibrates on notification you'll get only the vibration and no notification at all.
Ah! Thank you, I'll look into this...
No apps are listed as Blocked.

Jzero

Chirp is going to be useless as an echo competitor unless they open it up to everything right away.

As long as it works with my Chromecast, Sony Android TV and my Nexus 6P i'm cool.

"Okay Google, play Curb Your Enthusiasm in the living room"

I'm currently playing with my Nexus 6P and Huawei smart watch. So much fun!

How's the SmartWatch and the integration?

Ok, I brought this over from the previous thread. Hopefully you get to see them here. I have absolutely no regrets about my new phone purchase or the companion smart watch. I find that the apps that the integration of app notification is pleasant and allows me to decide when I actually need to go to my phone to handle something.

I haven't really delved much into the gestures or other aspects of the smart watch but I do love the customization, the use of OK Google making me look like an international spy and simply how stylish it looks. If you have any specific questions I suppose I could answer better? Let me know.

Looked like just another rectangular screen with rounded corners to me. The robin is about the only phone thats done anything different in a long while. Or I guess sharp with its no bezel phone.

The pogo pins for addons is interesting, except that its another interface, I'd much rather see one android wide addon interface.

Dude, the design is ugly, especially compared to their older phones, that huge round camera module looks awful, and don't get me started on the random ass 16 pin connector on the back. Also the square finger print scanner, if you're going to go with a design language stick with one, round or square, not both.

gcubed

Well...as open as android and googlecast is would be good enough for me. I cant expect much more really. You're still going to see a fractured market...Amazon and Apple will not support it. Just like every other new thing.

As long as it works with my Chromecast, Sony Android TV and my Nexus 6P i'm cool.

"Okay Google, play Curb Your Enthusiasm in the living room"

The main use that echo has that anyone really buys it for is home automation.

Very few buy it for anything else

Quasar

The main use that echo has that anyone really buys it for is home automation.

Very few buy it for anything else

Well my only experience is with podcasters who use them, and they tend to talk about using the echo for playing audible books and some music as well as timers and notes.

With a googly voice assistant I imagine I could see myself doing some the same kings of queries and commands I do on other devices. Such as setting appointments and reminders, playing music and short answer queries. Of course as always the quality of voice recog is the biggest issue.

I'm not actually that enthused by home automation, but that probably just reflects the simply nature of my home that I dont need that. And of course my security concerns overall with iot.

Top Bottom