• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 Box Art Leaked through Origin [Update: Large Banner Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. They have been on earth since prehistoric times.
Yes, they predate humanity as inhabitants of Earth but originally came from another world themselves, probably somewhere in the Triangulum or M33 galaxy according to the game. They're just early visitors, not natives.

squidyj

That's the problem. I remember having a blast playing the game, for the gunplay, the level design, the graphics, everything. But I can't remember anything from the story.

Your nanosuit throughout the game reverse engineers the alien virus or whatever it is that causes people to become puddles of ooze and uses it to turn aliens into puddles of ooze

Ok bow and arrow is awesome and all but tell me, how in the hell does it make any goddamn sense that a guy in the high-tech nano suit would use anything other than an automatic weapon?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ok bow and arrow is awesome and all but tell me, how in the hell does it make any goddamn sense that a guy in the high-tech nano suit would use anything other than an automatic weapon?
Looks like it's some kind of post apocalyptic scenario. Might not have a choice if ammo is scarce. Not like he can manufacture his own.

Man, I would have preferred it if they were revealing Timesplitters 4, Battlefront 3, or Homefront 2. Still, I'm excited for Crysis 3.

I thought Crysis 2 was stupid fun, and the graphics were amazing. Might be the best looking 360 game I've played.

Hope this is coming this fall, but I suspect it'll be next spring.
Actually to me it's the best looking console game. I dare anyone to match the detail and eye candy found on the seat of power level. Of course PC is best so calm down people. People really don't understand what Crytek did with the hardware provided in the 360.

Amagon

RIIIMovieBow.jpg

Looks cool to me.
:)

Hopefully. But the building on the left looks like the Empire State building to me.

Another city environment wouldn't bother me much. But if it's New York again... argh.

Exactly that looks like the Empire State Building. Where are people seeing London? Honestly I have no problem with this game returning to New York!

I dont remember the story in practically any game. But yeah, Crysis 2 especially LOL.

These video game story guys need to learn how to simplify.

For me "story" in a game is basically, here is your reward for beating that taxing section, sit back relax for a minute and enjoy some pretty non interactive visuals in the form of a mini-movie. You dont need to follow any of this.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I dont remember the story in practically any game. But yeah, Crysis 2 especially LOL.

These video game story guys need to learn how to simplify.

For me "story" in a game is basically, here is your reward for beating that taxing section, sit back relax for a minute and enjoy some pretty non interactive visuals in the form of a mini-movie. You dont need to follow any of this.

That's how I feel for quite a few games, but man Crysis 2. Easily the worst story in a game that I've played. And I've played the MW games.

I don't see how anyone made a book about it.

That's how I feel for quite a few games, but man Crysis 2. Easily the worst story in a game that I've played. And I've played the MW games.

I don't see how anyone made a book about it.
The book was worse. They made the main character such an asshole. Be happy he didn't talk in the game.

Again I really didnt think it was that bad compared to the already low bar of sci if shooter video game storytelling, but I know I'm I'm the minority for whatever reason.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
The book was worse. They made the main character such an asshole. Be happy he didn't talk in the game.

Again I really didnt think it was that bad compared to the already low bar of sci if shooter video game storytelling, but I know I'm I'm the minority for whatever reason.

I honestly try to play only high quality games to save money, so it's possible Crysis 2's story isn't as bad compared to some lesser game's. I also give slack if the story is bad, but has a good amount of cheese, like RE5.

While the story in Crysis 2 wasn't very memorable I fully enjoyed it for what it was, and thought the game had some pretty interesting concepts. The fact that Alcatraz was a "dead man walking" kept alive only by way of the Nanosuit, and the relationship of Prophet to the suit after his death - those ideas stuck with me throughout the game and even lingered afterwards.

You can rag on its story or its departure from C1's formula all you want, but there's no denying that C2 was objectively "GOOD". The gunplay was actually pretty stellar and the general mechanics were solid.

Interest be piqued.

squidyj

Hmmm... Crysis series reception timeline.

Game Release -> OMG WTF this is terrible, worst ever
Months/year later -> That game was actually pretty good
Years later -> Game of the generation.

While the story in Crysis 2 wasn't very memorable I fully enjoyed it for what it was, and thought the game had some pretty interesting concepts. The fact that Alcatraz was a "dead man walking" kept alive only by way of the Nanosuit, and the relationship of Prophet to the suit after his death - those ideas stuck with me throughout the game and even lingered afterwards.
I also thought Hargreave was an interesting character. Can't really classify him as a villain or a hero.

nyong

Banned
Also can't wait for this. I might be in the minority but I loved Crysis 2.

Crysis 2 was a few not-retarded AI away from being one of my favorite shooters of all time. I honestly wasn't expecting another until next gen, but this will "definitely" be a day-one full price purchase for me.

Lingitiz

I loved Crysis 2, it had great visuals, a great soundtrack, a solid sandbox, but a really poor story. Looking forward to the third, might have to pick up Crysis 2 PC off amazon (stupid origin).

spanks

The return to jungle environments and sandbox gameplay, coupled with a derelict city setting, definitely piques my interest. Can't wait to pretend to be Predator/Rambo/Turok

Crysis 3 Vs Far Cry 3 anyone?

Grisby

Crysis 2 was fantastic and made my 360 weep with joy. Can't wait for 3. I hope they step up the MP too as it was pretty fun, like a FPS Crackdown in a lot of ways.

zlatko

Banned
Crysis 2 was fantastic and made my 360 weep with joy. Can't wait for 3. I hope they step up the MP too as it was pretty fun, like a FPS Crackdown in a lot of ways.

You knwo what C3 needs? Team Sneak! That's how they can step up the MP! :D

One team is invisible nano suit guys with only melee knives, and tranq guns. Other team is fully visible using assault rifles/smgs/etc.

I would have an ORGASM if I could be invisible and find a group of the visibile peeps to kick a car on.

Oh and of course team sneak is an objective game type where the invisible peeps gotta grab 1 of 2 flags and bring it back to their base. If anyone on the invis team gets shot, then you can see everyone on their team for 5 seconds, and everyone goes back to invis only when the timer drops back to 0, and no one resets it by being shot at still.

Crytek, carry on the MGO torch!

Well it certainly wasn't about the gameplay in C2.

Well, I greatly enjoyed it. And the multiplayer was way better than Crysis 1 mp, except for the matchmaking problems. Two things Crysis 2 had that 1 didn't: ledge grab, which was a huge and awesome change, and slide, which is cool. Plus, the jump feels way better in 2.

You knwo what C3 needs? Team Sneak! That's how they can step up the MP! :D

One team is invisible nano suit guys with only melee knives, and tranq guns. Other team is fully visible using assault rifles/smgs/etc.

I would have an ORGASM if I could be invisible and find a group of the visibile peeps to kick a car on.

Oh and of course team sneak is an objective game type where the invisible peeps gotta grab 1 of 2 flags and bring it back to their base. If anyone on the invis team gets shot, then you can see everyone on their team for 5 seconds, and everyone goes back to invis only when the timer drops back to 0, and no one resets it by being shot at still.

Crytek, carry on the MGO torch!
Sounds like Spies vs Mercs from Splinter Cell... Now that could be amazing.

Jigsaw

Banned
read this EA:

please put crysis 1 on the blu ray too for the limited/premium edition so we can have the entire trilogy on console on discs

...and warhead too while you are at it :p

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
read this EA:

please put crysis 1 on the blu ray too for the limited/premium edition so we can have the entire trilogy on console on discs

...and warhead too while you are at it :p

Dear Jigsaw

It's nice to want things. Up yours.

-Sincerely EA

Wait. Supposedly set in NYC...has become jungle. Since when would a jungle be a naturally occurring state of wildlife?

It should be a northeastern forest and wooded area that takes over the city. Reminds me of that series on history channel called "life after people". Basically scientists stipulate that given enough time, even the largest cities would eventually resemble decrepit old ancient cities only slightly less preserved due to the more frail nature of concrete vs stone.

anyways, I preordered C2 on steam and got burned by the shitty launch. No DX11 features and low res console graphics had me rage quitting within less than an hour and it wasn't until the DX11 patch, high res texture pack and MaldoHD's textures before I picked it up again.

For this new title, I honestly would be happy if there were no "levels" so to speak but just an enormous wide open city that has been ravaged by nature and you simply have missions that send you from place to place in the city but at any time, you're free to travel about as you see fit (like GTA) and have certain areas of the city maybe become accessible as the story progresses (again like how GTA will block access to certain areas until the story deems them necessary)

I don't see why they can't do something like that. They are boasting that C3 will be "the best sandbox fps on the market" so do it. Crysis 2 was supposedly a "sandbox" game but to me, if you can't physically GET to somewhere that you can see without having to no clip to it, then it isn't a sandbox. Skyrim, GTA, just cause, etc. Those are sandbox games. Games with a slightly wider corridor leading the player from point A to point B is not.

scitek

I don't see why they can't do something like that. They are boasting that C3 will be "the best sandbox fps on the market" so do it. Crysis 2 was supposedly a "sandbox" game but to me, if you can't physically GET to somewhere that you can see without having to no clip to it, then it isn't a sandbox. Skyrim, GTA, just cause, etc. Those are sandbox games. Games with a slightly wider corridor leading the player from point A to point B is not.

Then I hope Crysis is never a sandbox game.

Alxjn

Wait. Supposedly set in NYC...has become jungle. Since when would a jungle be a naturally occurring state of wildlife?

It should be a northeastern forest and wooded area that takes over the city. Reminds me of that series on history channel called "life after people". Basically scientists stipulate that given enough time, even the largest cities would eventually resemble decrepit old ancient cities only slightly less preserved due to the more frail nature of concrete vs stone.

anyways, I preordered C2 on steam and got burned by the shitty launch. No DX11 features and low res console graphics had me rage quitting within less than an hour and it wasn't until the DX11 patch, high res texture pack and MaldoHD's textures before I picked it up again.

For this new title, I honestly would be happy if there were no "levels" so to speak but just an enormous wide open city that has been ravaged by nature and you simply have missions that send you from place to place in the city but at any time, you're free to travel about as you see fit (like GTA) and have certain areas of the city maybe become accessible as the story progresses (again like how GTA will block access to certain areas until the story deems them necessary)

Sandbox and Open World are two different things. Skyrim is open world, Just Cause 2 is an open world sandbox, Crysis is sandbox.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Crysis as a series has never been close to a true sandbox game. Out would be nice, but it's never going to happen.

DieH@rd

Banned

Maybe aliens like hot and humid environment, and their nanobots can encourage growth of plants that can sustain that entombment. Or maybe they like to recreate the environment of Lingshan island. Or maybe this is a SF game and developer can do pretty much whatever they please.

Crysis as a series has never been close to a true sandbox game. Out would be nice, but it's never going to happen.

I don't know, I can't think of many first person shooters that are much more sandboxy. Modding weapons, different types of approach (guns blazing, stealth), nano-suit, interactive environments/objects, etc.

Nizz

One thing I'm hoping from Crysis 3 is a little less "hand-holdy" moments. The suit's AI always telling you exactly what you have to do. I thought Crysis 1 handled the introduction of your suit powers well. Land on the island, make your way to rendezvous point. As you're on the beach, onscreen prompts to cloak (press R2), armor mode (L2) and more. Without feeling overly "take you by the hand".

The unskippable cutscenes also kind of hurt replays for me in Crysis 2. I still played the game at least 5-6 times but when you had to sit through a five-six minute cutscene that you couldn't skip it was annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom