• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

jem0208

There are literally achievements for pressing start in games. Prey itself has achievements simply for progressing through the story. If you honestly believe that all trophies or achievements are REAL achievements then you have a low bar for success. Killing all humans in Prey is not an 'achievement'. It is not difficult to achieve. It is not something to brag about. It's just a way they force shitty replayability into their game so you don't trade it after you beat it in your first weekend. And I don't like that.
1. Obviously some achievements are easy, why are you complaining about ones which actually require some time/effort to complete though?

2. You have no idea how difficult it is to kill all the humans in Prey. They might be all over the place and hidden in hard to reach areas. Some might be ridiculously powerful for whatever reason.

3. They're not forcing any replayability, you can literally just ignore achievements. They're included for those who want to replay the game and incentivise unique ways of doing so.

This is one of the most petty and nitpicky complaints I've ever seen about a game...

Stoze

Bought it and pre-loaded it since the PC version seems to be solid. I would use a VPN and play it, but I think I'm going to wait until tomorrow just in case there's a late Day 1 patch with hud options.

If people want to help get the word out about HUD options beyond twitter there's a post on /r/prey about it.

I don't know if I want to bite the bullet on this one. Watching people stream it, gives me this Deus Ex/Bioshock type of feel to it. With it reminding me of Bioshock with having to constantly be on edge. But then I hear there's some technical issues, so I just don't know

There are literally achievements for pressing start in games. Prey itself has achievements simply for progressing through the story. If you honestly believe that all trophies or achievements are REAL achievements then you have a low bar for success. Killing all humans in Prey is not an 'achievement'. It is not difficult to achieve. It is not something to brag about. It's just a way they force shitty replayability into their game so you don't trade it after you beat it in your first weekend. And I don't like that.
Why are you so angry about something that literally has no effect on you at all? This is one of the most bizarre complaints I've ever read on here.

Mifec

Killed

every single enemy in the lobby including the fire dude before even getting a the gun or shotgun.
It's really fun planning for where you want to blow them up or stun them out of reach of their friends.

You can open any of the furniture barricaded doors by just bringing a gas canister and blowing it up.

1. Obviously some achievements are easy, why are you complaining about ones which actually require some time/effort to complete though?

2. You have no idea how difficult it is to kill all the humans in Prey. They might be all over the place and hidden in hard to reach areas. Some might be ridiculously powerful for whatever reason.

3. They're not forcing any replayability, you can literally just ignore achievements. They're included for those who want to replay the game and incentivise unique ways of doing so.

This is one of the most petty and nitpicky complaints I've ever seen about a game...

Achievement hunters are usually quite petty people :p

d00d3n

Anyone who has played enough to be able to comment on "Nightmare" game mechanics?

Will I get assaulted by that thing randomly during my turret based immersive sim power trip, or is it restricted to particular areas and/or scripted events? What effect does the amount of enemy powers absorbed have?

Stranya

Is the ps4 input lag not fixed? I'm hyped for this, but that issue (and shitty controls generally) is one of the few deal-breakers for me when I comes to games.

Truant

So, I think I got into a couple of areas in the starting area (where you get the Gloo Gun) way before I was meant to. I did it by using lv2 hacking on the computer terminal next by, as well as finding a hidden keycode to the Crew areas. No story spoilers, but encounter spoilers.

It was kinda weird, the last two areas had this weird feeling to them, like I wasn't supposed to be there. At least that early.

I first found the Volunteer Area, not especially interesiting.

The other was creepy as hell. The volunteer quarters. It was almost completely dark, with creepy noises. Explored for like 15 minutes without finding any enemies, when I was suddenly attacked by an invisible monster on my way back. Creepy as hell.

I finally made it into fabrication, where this huge floating enemy attacked me instantly and summoned a bunch of evil turrets. Had to use my one psycho grenade on him to stop his DPS. Finally killed him, and found a bunch of weird materials, typhon blood, as well as a Neuromod fabrication schematic. I also found an audio log with the fabrication chief and Alex, discussing how the neuromods came from the Typhon. Very eerie.

Anyone else been to these areas early? The last story stuff I did was watching the Morgan video, haven't even visited the Hardware Labs.

Karak

Is the ps4 input lag not fixed? I'm hyped for this, but that issue (and shitty controls generally) is one of the few deal-breakers for me when I comes to games.

I don't know if its NOT fixed but it does feel off compared to the PC and xbox one. Playable for sure though but a bit different feeling

So, I think I got into a couple of areas in the starting area (where you get the Gloo Gun) way before I was meant to. I did it by using lv2 hacking on the computer terminal next by, as well as finding a hidden keycode to the Crew areas. No story spoilers, but encounter spoilers.

It was kinda weird, the last two areas had this weird feeling to them, like I wasn't supposed to be there. At least that early.

I first found the Volunteer Area, not especially interesiting.

The other was creepy as hell. The volunteer quarters. It was almost completely dark, with creepy noises. Explored for like 15 minutes without finding any enemies, when I was suddenly attacked by an invisible monster on my way back. Creepy as hell.

I finally made it into fabrication, where this huge floating enemy attacked me instantly and summoned a bunch of evil turrets. Had to use my one psycho grenade on him to stop his DPS. Finally killed him, and found a bunch of weird materials, typhon blood, as well as a Neuromod fabrication schematic. I also found an audio log with the fabrication chief and Alex, discussing how the neuromods came from the Typhon. Very eerie.

Anyone else been to these areas early? The last story stuff I did was watching the Morgan video, haven't even visited the Hardware Labs.

I belive I can access them now but havent been back cause Im in the hardware area. Thay said, on normal, Im getting my ass kicked cause Im not exactly rolling in ammo.

Stranya

I don't know if its NOT fixed but it does feel off compared to the PC and xbox one. Playable for sure though but a bit different feeling
Thanks. Really should not be a difficult thing to get right. How can QA not notice it? (Or, if they did, can devs not think it worthy of fixing?)

jimboton

Maybe one of our nice fellow GAFers could drop them a line about this on Twitter, that'd be splendid. It doesn't help that the markers are fairly large in size, say how close you are and are glaringly white ha.

umm yeah, that could help. I don't use Twitter either unfortunately..

holygeesus

Banned
Didn't like the demo at all, but still nearly bought the full game in honour of the thread title. Major kudos for that.

Pre-loading now! I hope this is fantastic, I love Deus Ex, Thief, System Shock, and the original Prey (yeah I know)!!!

I have a developer who worked on this game on my steam friends list, hope he's happy, lmao. Met him in Dota 2 way before the game was announced and I knew he was working on it :)

Where did that come from? The logic that would lead you to make such a pointless generalisation escapes me.
The one dude going on about hating achievements that require a challenge since the last page. I did add the "usually" qualifier in there :p

Pre-loading now! I hope this is fantastic, I love Deus Ex, Thief, System Shock, and the original Prey (yeah I know)!!!

I have a developer who worked on this game on my steam friends list, hope he's happy, lmao. Met him in Dota 2 way before the game was announced and I knew he was working on it :)

Oh with those games mentioned. This is up your alley!

Moff

after roughly 90 minutes, this feels like a bioshock in space, and that is not as close to system shock as one might think

Orgun

I am so glad im playing this on a 21:9 monitor, played the demo on PS4 and the FoV was killing me. It's naturally wider at 21:9 thank god.

Karak

Did someone make a story/spoilers thread yet? I can't find it and some discussion here already might be a spoiler or two. Maybe we aren't doing that anymore I can't remember.

Stoze

Did someone make a story/spoilers thread yet? I can't find it and some discussion here already might be a spoiler or two. Maybe we aren't doing that anymore I can't remember.

Don't think so. And yeah I'm going to be extra careful in here.

So how do I VPN? I am using flyvpn which worked for mass effect. I read you have to log out of steam on your phone but how can you do that if you need your phone to get a code to put into steam (I hate this part of steam)

edit. nvm I am an idiot you can be logged out and still use authenticator which seems kind of counter productive.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So how do I VPN? I am using flyvpn which worked for mass effect. I read you have to log out of steam on your phone but how can you do that if you need your phone to get a code to put into steam (I hate this part of steam)

Instructions are in the PC performance thread. You still receive Steam Guard codes when logged out out of the mobile app. Also, you can change back to e-mail-based Steam Guard if you don't need the extra features the mobile authenticator allows.

sueil

after roughly 90 minutes, this feels like a bioshock in space, and that is not as close to system shock as one might think

I'm about 4-5 hours in and feel the totally opposite. This is system shock and not bioshock at all.

Pygrus

The reports of the input lag not being gone on PS4 makes me cautious. I dunno if the 780ti in my PC can play this game at a high enough quality to really bring out the amazing art direction.

I'm about 4-5 hours in and feel the totally opposite. This is system shock and not bioshock at all.
I could never get far into SS2, the combat and level design never clicked with me even though I loved the overall design

So looking forward to see Arkane's take

Mifec

The reports of the input lag not being gone on PS4 makes me cautious. I dunno if the 780ti in my PC can play this game at a high enough quality to really bring out the amazing art direction.

Pretty sure it can. People with 970 have no issues.

Ardenyal

Just unlocked for me on PS4. I'm not feeling any input lag outside of the 30fps. Could be me being used to Dishonored 2s lag since that's what i played this last week.. No supersampling on pro, boo.

haveheart

Banned
This game combines so many great games: some Bioshock, some System Shock, and I'm also getting some Portal.
I love that the whole technology appears to be from the 60ies. This alternate timeline is so awesome.

SomTervo

I love achievements, I just don't like ones that force you to play the games un-naturally, what's hard to understand about that?

Are you someone who just likes to plat game after game after game?

So...is the gamereally good or antoher average fps game?

I had a lot of hope in this game, like in Dishonored 2.

Dishonored 2 is incredible. Feedback on this so far seems great.

nOoblet16

Everything just takes so long to die, especially at the start it's pretty much impossible to avoid attacks if you are shooting using something like the beam gun due to how slow you move so you just have to keep freezing everything, but those other spikey phantom like enemies they don't remain frozen for long and take a lot more bullets than normal phantoms.

I saw that option on the first screen and it was still inferior to mouse driven controls, especially with the horrible input lag.

It is actually different on consoles, on PC even if you zoom and "inspect" the entire camera moves when you move the cursor. On consoles it doesn't move the camera and it's just the cursor that moves. I'd have liked that in the PC version as then the monitor becomes just another menu.

Top Bottom