• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[MCV] Nioh a 'triumphant return' for Koei Tecmo as it eyes the western market

Rozart

So happy for them! They did a fantastic job with Nioh.

“Personally I’m happy to see a lot of Japanese games hit the charts in the west, however there’s no border for entertainment and most people don’t care where a game comes from; they only care if it’s fun."

Preach.

Good to hear. Nioh made February great! Looking forward to the next Ninja Gaiden. They better make different stances with individual attack animations the norm of their games.

I want the (Bluepoint) Ninja Gaiden Trilogy remaster! Why not give the Nintendo Switch Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge, would be nice to have on the go.

Mechazawa

I'm failing to see the reasoning. With games like Senran Kagura, valkyrie drive, and gal gun getting localized with little fanfare, there's absolutely no excuse. They already went through the trouble of translating the game into english, but they can't justify bringing it over. Meanwhile, they're going to shove monthly smutty costumes at us and lecture us about our values. Yeah right.
All of the games you mentioned are picked up and published by significantly smaller outfits. The Xseeds of the world have different priorities and different metrics for success that make a niche title worth bringing over than the Koei Tecmos.

DrD

One of the best games this generation, glad I tried the demo because it put the game on my radar and I might not have bought it otherwise. I'm ready for a new Ninja Gaiden whenever, would be awesome to see both NG and DMC return in the same year.

I don't have a particularly strong interest in ever playing Nioh but it's nice to hear this game is doing well in the West. For a long time it seemed like Tecmo was a Japanese company that designed games specifically with western audiences in mind but recently it has seemed like they had lost that audience almost entirely (or it at least wasn't as big an audience as it was).

“We know a lot of our fans in the world have been waiting for the next Ninja Gaiden and it is one of the most important projects for us as well,” he says. “At the moment, we are not in a position to announce anything, but we are hoping to share good news with you once we are ready.”

Team Ninja needed Nioh. People had lost faith in Team Ninja's ability to make great games that didn't have DOA in their name. As for Ninja Gaiden my guess is that a new Ninja Gaiden will go into preproduction soon. Just a guess. They should take as much time as they need as they need to get this game right.

I have the unpopular opinion that NG2 (I'm including Sigma 2 with this) is the best game in the reboot series and NG3RE is number 2. I've owned every version of the reboot NG1 and have beaten it but only because it always felt like a game that SHOULD like so I kind of forced myself through it. For whatever reason it never grabbed me (I think my issues mostly stem from the progression system and the pacing of the game). It's funny because I actually really like NG3RE but I consider NG3 vanilla to be utter trash.

Whatever they do with NG next I don't think it can really be a direct sequel to what they have been doing. Even though Itagaki wasn't involved with NG3 I feel like the entire reboot trilogy very much reflects Itagaki's style. I think they should make a clean break and do something completely new with the series. Having said that, I think remaking the NES trilogy in the reboot NG2 style would be awesome.

BigEmil

Why no PC releases? I feel like the 'west' is shifting more and more towards pc gaming as 1080p/60fps hardware is getting cheaper by the year.
Switch port begging people dogpile and shit on but apparently PC port begging is ok?

Nioh has been a favorite this year, platinumed and continuing. But I've also gotten more into DOA5 Last Round after picking it up recently on PS4 and DOAX3 still makes the rounds. I also granted them a few bucks towards a couple costumes in DOA5 and most recently picked up the season pass.

So the past few months have had a more Koei Tecmo focus than usual for me, and that will continue. Led by Nioh.

For a Nioh sequel, I want Sony to lend them help from Japan Studio, and hook them up with recording sessions at AIR Studios. Give them the full Bloodborne treatment, and up the budget.

The idea of catering to the west is often mocked in Media Create threads but I'm glad there is clear evidence that shows it is a viable option for Japanese devs. It is just a matter of how they handle it. Koei Tecmo seems to be on the right path so far.

I still need to buy Nioh. :p

Atolm

It's probably their biggest hit since Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox.

Remember Ninja Gaiden? The first game was HUGE at the time. A reason to own that console.

Hybris

Best combat of the year for me. I would say generation but Bayonetta... After finishing the DS3 DLC all I want to do is get back to it before Persona drops. It's just so fun to play and it never gets old because they give you so many options in combat.

The idea of catering to the west is often mocked in Media Create threads but I'm glad there is clear evidence that shows it is a viable option for Japanese devs. It is just a matter of how they handle it. Koei Tecmo seems to be on the right path so far.

I still need to buy Nioh. :p

Only by those that are ignorant. One only needs to look at sales and there are many comments from other Japanese publishers to see why they focus on overseas sales.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, good to see them finding success here. I dunno why Japanese devs spent the last decade thinking that to appeal to the west, they needed to emulate western games. This is the kind of thing we wanted all along.

IvorB

Time for Nioh Volleyball. Yokai Oni and William in a thong, Ooh-La-La.

I could be interested in a pervy volleyball game with Wirriam, Ryu Hyabusa and Bayman. Can include the Oni too but no thongs.

Seriously though, Congrats to Tecmo on this. I feel like they’ve been pushing this particular brand of Japanese quasi-history for a while now in their games so glad it’s paid off. I just hope they don’t confuse chasing western success with trying to emulate western gaming trends because that did not work out for Japanese devs before. They just need to carry on doing what they do which is making great Japanese games. Keep giving us that gameplay perfection that few other countries can match.

Ferr986

All of the games you mentioned are picked up and published by significantly smaller outfits. The Xseeds of the world have different priorities and different metrics for success that make a niche title worth bringing over than the Koei Tecmos.

Then KT should change their priorities or metrics.

Blaming the outlets for your insecurity in your product is lame, and it's just playing around with your customers. DOAX3 has already been talked on the media, and will be no matter if it's releases here or no. If they don't release the game here, is only on them.

Well, good to see them finding success here. I dunno why Japanese devs spent the last decade thinking that to appeal to the west, they needed to emulate western games. This is the kind of thing we wanted all along.

Because western games really sell a lot. Nobody bats an eye if a western AAA game sells 1M, it's just a norm.

And Japanese games with western aesthetics tend to do better.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They should make use of the momentum and announce a Switch/XBox/PC release too! More platforms = more sales.

Demoskinos

Hey. You know what? Take your time with Ninja Gaiden 4. I want it done right. And I don't want to have to wait for a reissue like NG3 for it to be playable. I am however insanely excited by the prospects of seeing Ryu Hayabusa full next gen splendor. Ninja Gaiden Black is still one of if not still my favorite game of all time. Nioh has been a pretty good stand in for the moment being. I need my boy Ryu Hayabusa though.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Well deserved and hell yes to all this. They took the time to listen to the community and improve the game for the better. They deserve all the sales they get.
My most played game this generation so far aka my GOTG. I am pleased and can't wait for the April DLC.

Yeah more praise from me as well. I especially liked how they handled the demo cycles. I was really skeptical since they had been pumping out crap for my tastes for years and years but they definitely delivered.

Great to see that their philosophy of making the game they want and fuck it paid off in the end. Hopefully all these lessons will make the inevitable Nioh 2 even stronger.

Congrats on them for the success Nioh is having. However, if you want to appeal to the west in a favorable manner, K-T can start caring about the quality of their PC ports.

TreIII

Great news to read (again). They deserved every bit of this success for how well they marketed and promoted this game. All hail Nioh!

Nothing to announce regarding Ninja Gaiden doesn't sound like it's not already in development, just means they don't want to announce it yet. My bet we hear the good news by TGS.

Pretty much, yeah.

Again, there's no way I can imagine that Capcom will eventually bring their stylish action hero back into the mix and Team Ninja won't want to have their own guy primed and ready for his own return tour. And it helps that he still maintains visibility thanks to DOA and collab products like Musou Stars.

I just don't know it's in the cards for Ninja Ryu to make any announcements, this year. Team Ninja is another one of KT's busy and efficient squads, but I'd imagine that continuing to nurture Nioh and DOA6 are probably higher up on the docket. Not to mention Dissidia AE...

Q8D3vil

Played it recently, and while its not in the same genre i find it a huge step down from NG2 as an action game.
Its not a bad game by any mean, but its extremely boring, just rush for the and skip all the aweful level design boss because all the fun is there fighting them.
Better than nothing i guess, and definitely better than anything they produced since NG2.

fi1ip

It's funny because I actually really like NG3RE but I consider NG3 vanilla to be utter trash.

I feel the same way. NG3RE had its issues, but the game did a lot of the things right and is actually one of the better Ninja Gaiden games in general.

NG3 is complete trash, I agree. So after the NG3RE, I have a felling that Team Ninja knows what they should do with the series and I have very high hopes for the next game in the series.

Nice, glad to see a Japanese dev/pub see success by putting an action game on console where it belongs, and at 60fps too. Take some fucking notes Capcom.

Only by those that are ignorant. One only needs to look at sales and there are many comments from other Japanese publishers to see why they focus on overseas sales.
Yep, I agree. I just choose to let it be now. I don't have to argue with brick walls.

Either way, good on KT and I wish them the best with their future products.

Super happy about the success.
I got the platinum a few weeks ago, and still feel the gameplay / controls in my fingers and in my mind! It's truly something special.

thuway

I just hope they don't keep regurgitating future iterations until the franchise has been driven into the ground like Dynasty Warriors. The next big game they need to release is Ninja Gaiden and reboot it with inspiration from Ni Oh.

Fisty

Nioh was a fantastic proof of concept and blueprint for the series going forward. I expect this to be the "Demon's Souls" of the IP, and the next game will expand greatly on the enemy and level design and world-building. They nailed combat, performance and graphics, so if they just work on tying the smaller levels together, bringing in more enemy variety and working on lore, it will be a workhorse going forward.

Very impressed with the turnaround from NG3.

Fisty

Just let me play as Ninja Gaiden in Nioh.

About as close as you can get

Head_of_the_Iga_Ninja_Armor_Set_Nioh.jpg

Nioh was a fantastic proof of concept and blueprint for the series going forward. I expect this to be the "Demon's Souls" of the IP, and the next game will expand greatly on the enemy and level design and world-building. They nailed combat, performance and graphics, so if they just work on tying the smaller levels together, bringing in more enemy variety and working on lore, it will be a workhorse going forward.

Very impressed with the turnaround from NG3.

Said best right here. Right on.

Endo Punk

Even though I skipped on Nioh because I found the demos too difficult I would still jump into the sequel with a much improved aesthetic design and enemy variety, maybe slightly easier gameplay too *cough* I'm getting old here!

Top Bottom