• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of new game announcements for the Nintendo Switch.

No, s/he is correct.

Sony's entire Playstation move into the market and it's catering to the wishes of the game development community means that games will come sooner or later to their platform.

If you think N commands anywhere near the level of support as Sony does, you've not been paying attention. Sony has shifted the entire gravity of gaming towards PS. That's just self-evident.

There is still a question mark over Japanese support of the Switch. If this doesn't happen, you're looking at another Wii U situation.

I don't think you read the post they were replying to. They said "Nintendo struggles to cook up awesome stuff," which isn't true. Nearly all of their first party offerings for at least decade have consistently supplanted previous games in those franchises. The best entries kept appearing on Wii U: Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Breath of the Wild, Smash Bros., Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. They came out swinging with new takes on several concepts that took the gaming world by storm in Splatoon and Mario Maker.

Heck they just released one of the best games of all time, by score. There is absolutely no evidence that they can't "cook" anymore.

If you had a XB1 or PS4 you would already have played most of those games.

There is one game on switch I own and so far one more I will buy this year. It is like you are bragging about how big your apartment is to people who have houses on 10 acres of land
There are already a bunch of games on the system that either aren't on any other system, or came out the same day as they came out on other platforms.

zelas

These "its only been a month, why are you complaining already" comments would make a lot more sense if the launch wasn't one of the more barren ones we've ever seen.

#1: E3 is coming up.

#2: They just did an incredible indie showcase of upcoming games.

#3:

Switch_Games.png

THEY'RE MAKING A STORY OF SEASON FOR THE SWITCH?! ... Deep breaths.

These "its only been a month, why are you complaining already" comments would make a lot more sense if the launch wasn't one of the more barren ones we've ever seen.
But they've already announced more stuff. I'm pretty sure Nintendo has more first party titles slated for release this year than anyone.

PSFan

I don't think you read the post they were replying to. They said "Nintendo struggles to cook up awesome stuff," which isn't true. Nearly all of their first party offerings for at least decade have consistently supplanted previous games in those franchises. The best entries kept appearing on Wii U: Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Breath of the Wild, Smash Bros., Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. They came out swinging with new takes on several concepts that took the gaming world by storm in Splatoon and Mario Maker.

Heck they just released one of the best games of all time, by score. There is absolutely no evidence that they can't "cook" anymore.

The only one I'd agree with is BOTW. I really didn't enjoy any of the first party WiiU games as much as their earlier entries. I know that's anecdotal but I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment or WiiU would have sold way more than it did.

m.i.s.

Banned
I don't think you read the post they were replying to. They said "Nintendo struggles to cook up awesome stuff,"

I read the comment as having two parts. The part I was confirming I've put in bold below. Incidentally, the Wii U also had all those games that you stated in your post and it didn't help with sales.

Yeah because Sony were cooking up awesome stuff. Nintendo doesn't really do that any more. They are struggling to remain relevant, with less and less people making games for their platforms.

phanphare

Banned
The only one I'd agree with is BOTW. I really didn't enjoy any of the first party WiiU games as much as their earlier entries. I know that's anecdotal but I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment or WiiU would have sold way more than it did.

Mario Kart 8 is easily the best in the series. Tropical Freeze is either the best in the series or 1b to DKC 2's 1a. Smash 4 is either the best in the series or 1b to Melee's 1a. I think Pikmin 3 is easily the best in the series but I don't know how widespread that sentiment is. Mario 3D World is a really great game in a series full of all time classics (Mario, Mario 3, Mario World, Mario 64, Mario Galaxy, and Mario Galaxy 2) so it not being at the top isn't really a negative.

Velkyn

OP, the system's been out for like 2 and a half weeks, chill.

Also I think that game list is off, Puyo Tetris is April 25th in NA and 28th in UK.

Waji

Yet possibly one of the best first year.
I take that over a few more average (at best) games in the launch window.

Velkyn

Yet possibly one of the best first year.
I take that over a few more average (at best) games in the launch window.

I'm not too sure why some people are acting like all the launch games are terrible or something. Even besides Zelda; Voez is really good, Snipperclips is fantastic and so is Blaster Master Zero. Even if the VC isn't up yet, I get to play Waku Waku 7 and Neo Turf Masters on my commute.

"Barren launch lineup" might be true, but what IS there is actually really good (excluding Bomberman, ughhhhh)

Silvawuff

I think Nintendo has always had a game drip feed going on. They have a lot of fluff games pockmarked with exclusive must-haves for fans, followed by a very long and slow decline to the next hardware system -- at least in my humble observations.

You take that risk when you buy a system at launch that it could fail or under-deliver, or just be that underdog hardware that becomes niche. I'm thinking Nintendo should have waited to launch until they had more eggs in the basket, both in game and hardware availability.

Oersted

Nintendo has always had the potential of cooking up awesome stuff. But history shows that their first-party offerings aren't enough to stay a competitor.

Potential, lol. Zelda is one of the greatest games of all time and the best game of this generation.

I think Nintendo has always had a game drip feed going on. They have a lot of fluff games pockmarked with exclusive must-haves for fans, followed by a very long and slow decline to the next hardware system -- at least in my humble observations.

You take that risk when you buy a system at launch that it could fail or under-deliver, or just be that underdog hardware that becomes niche. I'm thinking Nintendo should have waited to launch until they had more eggs in the basket, both in game and hardware availability.

If you misstake Splatoon 2, Mario Kart or Breath of the Wild as solely games for fans, you are quite out of touch with the market.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not too sure why some people are acting like all the launch games are terrible or something. Even besides Zelda; Voez is really good, Snipperclips is fantastic and so is Blaster Master Zero. Even if the VC isn't up yet, I get to play Waku Waku 7 and Neo Turf Masters on my commute.

"Barren launch lineup" might be true, but what IS there is actually really good (excluding Bomberman, ughhhhh)

Different people have different tastes. The line up isn't very good for people who don't like indies, retro games etc. and only like AAA stuff like Zelda.

But to be fair, all recent console launches have sucked on that front. Having Zelda is better than PS4/X1 launches that didn't have any good exclusive (i.e. Not cross gen) AAA games at launch.

Different people have different tastes. The line up isn't very good for people who don't like indies, retro games etc. and only like AAA stuff like Zelda.

But to be fair, all recent console launches have sucked on that front. Having Zelda is better than PS4/X1 launches that didn't have any good exclusive (i.e. Not cross gen) AAA games at launch.

The problem is there just aren't many AAA games in the market. Zelda is one of the biggest launch titles in history, and people are still complaining. Yeah, of course people are having different tastes, but as members of this incredibly hardcore forum, I would expect Gaffers to be better than only caring AAA games.

Hindl

So we got three pre E3 game announcements coming in Destiny 2, battlefront, and GE3. Wonder how many of the three will be for switch?

Launch lineups are always barren. Look at the XB1/PS4 launches. If we discount games available on other systems, XB1 had Forza, Ryse, Killer Instinct, and DR3, while PS4 had Knack, Killzone and Resogun. Not a lot to write home about

NimbusD

I too was originally dissapointed with the lineup thus far, then that switched to just getting antsy.

I'm playing the switch way more than any other console, because I can play it however and whenever I want. When I get home from work and just want to lay down, I can play it in handheld, move over to the couch for a bit later on. I bring it to work and play for 30 min during lunch or so. Play for an hour on my commute.

As a result Im playing the games I bought so much more than I've usually done on other consoels. I've gotten into the habit of buying new games for consoles, playing them for a bit then moving on wihtout beating them. Usually because I just don't feel like sitting down at a couch and taking over the tv for a long time. Or sitting at my computer for a long time either (outside of overwatch, that game still has a hold on me).

So honestly, I'm fine with the output now. I know MK8 (even though I have it for wii u), will get hours and hours of use out of me, I could probably still put another 100 hours into zelda before I move on, eshop titles like shovel knight (another game I owned for wii u, but never played much), i am setsuna et al are giving me some nice variety.

Also owned a 2ds and outside of pokemon I never really used it. I just couldnt get into playing games on that small of a screen. It was a chore. I loved certain things about it (street pass for one), but just couldn't hold my attention for long (though the FE mobile game makes me want to go back to FE awakening and beat it, but it's hard to go back to a 2ds after switch).

So anyway, yeah I want them to announce more games, because I'm so enamored by this console. I will eat up every one. But I'm also doing fine with the output they have now.

I do wish the 'coming soon' on the eshop was a bit more fleshed out, even if it just had rough date estimates instead of the few games in the next two weeks. it'd help me plan out my purchases better.

EDarkness

Personally, I don't care much about AAA games. The odds of the system getting any of them is slim to none. Which is fine (though I would LOVE to play Red Dead 2 with gyro aiming...it's a dream of mine). My point is that there have been announcements of games recently (so it's obvious that pubs and devs don't need to wait until E3 to make those announcements) and almost none of them have included the NS. On top of that, not only are there very few announcements for new games for the system, but the devs aren't even talking about the games we already know are supposed to be coming. What about this Tales game? Is it a new game? A remake of an older game? How about BlazBlue? New game? What's going to be included in Steep for the NS? Will always online still be a thing? Any word on the NS version of Dragon Quest XI? There are a ton of things that could be at least talked about, but we aren't getting any of that information. So yeah, there are games for the system, but have you actually looked at the Japanese eShop? The only games they've gotten added recently have been NeoGeo games. It's sad and a little depressing. I figured of all places that would get more stuff released it would be Japan, but instead the rest of the world are really getting new games with at least indies filling in gaps with interesting games.

Not having a Destiny 2 announcement later today is fine. However, it's that people just aren't talking at all. There's no reason for that to be the case and this wait until E3 stuff is more of the "wait until X" stuff that plagued the Wii U's life. That just shouldn't be the case. There's no reason Ubisoft couldn't talk at least a little about what they are thinking about with Steep.

ViolentP

Potential, lol. Zelda is one of the greatest games of all time and the best game of this generation.

Not sure you're understanding the concept of the term potential. Zelda proves what Nintendo can do but not all Nintendo titles are Zeldas. It's not an insult to them at all, only proof of their potential levels of execution. Also calling it the best game of the generation is highly subjective.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The problem is there just aren't many AAA games in the market. Zelda is one of the biggest launch titles in history, and people are still complaining. Yeah, of course people are having different tastes, but as members of this incredibly hardcore forum, I would expect Gaffers to be better than only caring AAA games.

That's just a false assumption. Tons on here are just mainstream gamers that just play the big releases.

Hell, I mostly am, with a few exceptions for some indies. I just didn't mind buying a Switch early as I wanted the best version of Zelda and Nintendo consoles only get 5ish games a year for me anyway as it's a very complementary platform for me to Sony/PC.

You list so many handhelds, which have always had much longer than normal lives. And the 360/PS3 gen was anomalously long (sort of like Windows XP).

I know, but this "360/PS3 gen was anomalously long" stuff seems to be the new norm. Do you see PS4/XB1 getting replaced any time soon considering they're both going for boosted hardware revisions to keep them going for another few years?

At least neither of them are going to be anywhere near the 4 years Wii U went for that was being touted as normal.

LordKano

This thread in a nutshell :

Haters : It's doomed, there hasn't been any announcements !!
People thinking rationnally : What about the indies that are announced every day or so
Haters : They don't count because yada yada yada, where are the big third parties !
People thinking rationnally : The system is not even a month old, what about waiting for Direct or E3 (which is in two months and a half)
Haters : DOOOOOM-

People thinking rationnally : What about the indies that are announced every day or so
Haters : They don't count because yada yada yada, where are the big third parties !
People thinking rationnally : The system is not even a month old, what about waiting for Direct or E3 (which is in two months and a half)

Yeah...pretty much sums up my thoughts on this thread and the people holding Nintendo up to some higher standard than practically any other console that has released before. It's not even been a month people...holy hell.

PSFan

Mario Kart 8 is easily the best in the series. Tropical Freeze is either the best in the series or 1b to DKC 2's 1a. Smash 4 is either the best in the series or 1b to Melee's 1a. I think Pikmin 3 is easily the best in the series but I don't know how widespread that sentiment is. Mario 3D World is a really great game in a series full of all time classics (Mario, Mario 3, Mario World, Mario 64, Mario Galaxy, and Mario Galaxy 2) so it not being at the top isn't really a negative.

That is all your opinion. Mario Kart was nowhere near the best for me. Boring and uninspired. The way you unlock characters and things was pointless and had nothing to it. Everytime you win a cup you unlock something rather than specific challenges like previous games.

Neither of the DKC Returns games were as fun as the original to me, plus I prefer DK64 over all of them. Mario 3D World was also boring, because I was so sick of the "beat the timer to flagpole" formula and the multiplayer was just annoying most of the time. And I didn't like that they removed the single player campaign from Smash.

ViolentP

Yeah...pretty much sums up my thoughts on this thread and the people holding Nintendo up to some higher standard than practically any other console that has released before. It's not even been a month people...holy hell.

I don't think there is anything wrong with disappointment at the lack of game options at this point. People have a new device and they are anxious to use it. Now, to equate the small library to failure is a bit of a leap in logic in my opinion.

LordKano

That is all your opinion. Mario Kart was nowhere near the best for me. Boring and uninspired. The way you unlock characters and things was pointless and had nothing to it. Everytime you win a cup you unlock something rather than specific challenges like previous games.

Neither of the DKC Returns games were as fun as the original to me, plus I prefer DK64 over all of them. Mario 3D World was also boring, because I was so sick of the "beat the timer to flagpole" formula and the multiplayer was just annoying most of the time. And I didn't like that they removed the single player campaign from Smash.

The general opinion is that all the games you listed are good. All of them were well received. You may dislike them, that's your opinion but you're an outlier with that.

jariw

You'd really have to go out of your way to have not had the opportunity to play most of these games over the last five years, and you'd have to've not owned a Wii U.

So let's take a look at those 8 games that were mentioned.

This is what I currently have:

Breath of the Wild

Available on Switch and Wii U. Released less than a month ago.

Super Bomberman R

Switch exclusive. Released less than a month ago.

1 2 Switch

Switch Exclusive. Released less than a month ago.

Only exists on Switch on console (also on mobile). Released less than a month ago.

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove

The 3rd part in this collection is currently only on Switch.

Snipperclips

Switch Launch Exclusive.

Snake Pass

A game that was released this week on multiple platforms.

Human Resource Machine

Older game that was available on PC/Mac and Wii U.

Magwik

Banned
I don't think there is anything wrong with disappointment at the lack of game options at this point. People have a new device and they are anxious to use it. Now, to equate the small library to failure is a bit of a leap in logic in my opinion.
Yeah but we didn't see these kinds of threads with the 3DS though. And that thing didn't even launch with an eShop.

ViolentP

The general opinion is that all the games you listed are good. All of them were well received. You may dislike them, that's your opinion but you're an outlier with that.

Funny thing about that is that I imagine people with that opinion were owners of a Wii U. Considering its sales history, I wonder what non-owners think about those titles as they certainly didn't justify a purchase from them. Makes me wonder who the outliers really are.

Yeah but we didn't see these kinds of threads with the 3DS though. And that thing didn't even launch with an eShop.

Not sure if its fair to treat them separately but for some unknown reason, I did. My 3DS didn't get much love from me from the onset though I was a huge DS and GBA fan. Though with my Switch, I'm actually clamoring for more content to enjoy.

PSFan

The general opinion of Nintendo diehards, you mean. How can they have been well received if they weren't good enough to sell WiiU consoles?

LordKano

The general opinion of Nintendo diehards, you mean. How can they have been well received if they weren't good enough to sell WiiU consoles?

Super Mario 3D World : 93 Metacritic
Mario Kart 8 : 88 Metacritic
Super Smash Bros : 92 Metacritic
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze : 82 metacritic.

IC5

The issue is a few things:

1. Nintendo released early, with a half baked eco system. A few months ago, devs may not have had a solid release date and they likely still do not have near final specs on how the coming features will work.
With the wireless issue on some of the controllers, its clear that hardware didnt even get enough testing time. Revised controllers are already in the wild, which means Nintendo knowingly kept faulty stock in order to keep up supply numbers for their early launch. Rather than pulling the faulty stock. Who knows what condition the dev units are in.

1. Because of the early launch and unknowns about the coming features and eco system: Devs may simply not be ready to show games. The hardware seems to be doing well. So, I expect a full E3 for Switch. But I wouldn't expect most of that to make it out before Christmas.

2. It's also clear that some companies are holding back to see how well the main hardware sells and trends on social media, before committing full budgets to games. I'm sure plenty of brands have games concepted with varying amounts of pre-production. But those games may just now be getting greenlit for a fully committed project.
Rime is getting castrated and
We already have bad press on how game carts can be handled. Best for many to wait and avoid the PR.

3. Nintendo is being weird about Indies and ports. Now is not the time to be fussy and curate. Do that later, when your ecosystem is mature and a full suite of companies have projects going. And Indies could benefit from being able to put out ports this year, before the big companies start releasing.

"Low sales" and "best games in the franchise" aren't mutually exclusive. If the sales are low enough, not enough people will learn the games are best in the franchise. If the console is more expensive than people are willing to pay, the best games in the world won't make a difference.

"Best in franchise" isn't heavily disputed for most of those games. Or if it is, it's disputed among their other recent releases, like whether 3D World is better than Galaxy, or Mario Kart 8 is better than 7. There are very few people trying to argue that Donkey Kong Country 3 is better than Tropical Freeze.

EDarkness

I'm no hater. I just want to talk about new games coming up and get excited about those games. They can be released later this year, but I want to drool over new information or talk about some new releases. I want to wade into the mix of whatever Skyrim is going to be on the system. Would love to talk about the upcoming Disney collection...that didn't get announced for the NS for some odd reason.

LordKano

I'm no hater. I just want to talk about new games coming up and get excited about those games. They can be released later this year, but I want to drool over new information or talk about some new releases. I want to wade into the mix of whatever Skyrim is going to be on the system. Would love to talk about the upcoming Disney collection...that didn't get announced for the NS for some odd reason.

Your intentions weren't bad, but this outcome was inevitable with the amount of hate the Switch is getting here. There's plenty of time to announce more games for this year.

RIP in pieces Switch, Nintendo's own little Dreamcast moment.

Enough to know what we're talking about. No AAA announcements within 3 three weeks of the consoles launch indicates absolutely nothing for the consoles whole lifetime.

Then you should know that dozens of games have been announced and released since the reveal 5 months ago with very little coming for the Switch. Ports of released aren't out of the question either, considering something like DBZXV2 was announced.

phanphare

Banned

what is your favorite Mario Kart game? I have a hard time understanding how someone could think tracks like Shy Guy Falls, Mount Wario, Dolphin Shoals, Sunshine Airport, Cloudtop Cruise, Bowser's Castle, etc. were boring and uninspired. never mind the DLC tracks. strange.

and

Neither of the DKC Returns games were as fun as the original to me, plus I prefer DK64 over all of them.

whew, we are just going to have to agree to disagree there. DK64 is everything that was wrong with the 3D collect-a-thon formula.

I don't know why people always trot out this argument like the Wii U wasn't one of the least enticing pieces of hardware Nintendo has ever made in regards to the market at large. it became crystal clear sometime between 2013 and 2014 that no game was going to sell that console no matter how great or well received it was. context is key here and I think you're ignoring that.

DrArchon

I think the biggest problem isn't the lack of game announcements from Nintendo, it's the lack of release date announcements.

Seriously, doesn't Arms come out in like a couple of months? Maybe? But no date for it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So let's take a look at those 8 games that were mentioned.
Available on Switch and Wii U. Released less than a month ago.
Switch exclusive. Released less than a month ago.
Switch Exclusive. Released less than a month ago.
Only exists on Switch on console (also on mobile). Released less than a month ago.
The 3rd part in this collection is currently only on Switch.
Switch Launch Exclusive.
A game that was released this week on multiple platforms.
Older game that was available on PC/Mac and Wii U.
Did nintendo slapped you when you where a kid?

Top Bottom