• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare to announce how they're going to address ME: Andromeda on April 4th

What was your favorite video game disaster relief program?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Glad they are planning to support it going forward. I'm still interested in checking out the game, so I look forward to buying it at a discount near the end of the year.

MrDaravon

I wonder how hard the blowback has been on them both in terms of feedback and sales. Virtually no one I know is happy at all with the game, and the most bought it not expecting much but were huge ME fans and they were still disappointed. It's kind of crazy. I returned my rental copy after about 12 hours in realizing that while I was having some amount of fun exploring planets I didn't care in the absolute slightest about the story or plot, and hated or was indifferent at best to virtually every character in the game.

I wonder what they even do here. Yeah, it's fun and easy to shit on the graphical quality/animation stuff, but I feel like people are almost equally complaining about the writing and characters, so even if they manage to roll out immense graphics/animation/bug fixes I just can't imagine that undoes most of the damage already done here. I'm super interested in watching what happens here, I'd love to be given an even halfway decent excuse to pick the game back up but you can't really fix story and characters like they "fixed" the ME3 endings.

In any case I feel like this was their one shot to bring everyone back that felt burned by ME3 and the flak that got, and they fucked that up and even if they manage to turn things massively around there's some number of people they've lost forever with the bad launch. In a year of absolutely incredible releases already 3 months into the year ain't nobody got time for mediocre/broken games.

Rozart

Same thing happened to me with Peebee. The game is fun. But it's filled with problems/bugs.

I even entered a vault and went up a gravity well but she still refused to wake up. Why Cora. :(

It is very buggy. I died because my Ryder got stuck in cover yesterday.

Quoted for the new page since I've seen many people try to dismiss the problems of ME:A with this argument.
The "poor devs" sentiment, really falls flat when you've waited 5 years and paid $60, for a really buggy game with tons of head scratching design choices.

People shouldn't call out individuals. But they have every right to call out Bioware/EA as a whole.
====
I even entered a vault and went up a gravity well but she still refused to wake up. Why Cora. :(

It is very buggy. I died because my Ryder got stuck in cover yesterday.

Trust me man, I feel you. I actually had a bug the other day that made two fiends fly and come after me from sky. It was hilarious, yet very frustrating.

Zambayoshi

About time. I've been holding off on buying the game to see how Bioware will address the animations issue.

If they fix this issue I may buy the original release instead of waiting for a 'complete' edition or for it to go on sale down the track.

Pepboy

I dont think the game is even close to as bad as some think and I dont know if we should be mocking them trying to make it better and listen to fans. isn't this the kinda thing we wanted from the high speed age of new consoles?

not saying we shouldn't be skeptical or totally forgive everything but I dont think them trying to make things right deserve derision

It remains to be seen if that is what this is. It could easily be a stalling tactic to prevent people from trading in -- most (physical) game sales happen within the first 2 weeks of launch and they want new customers buying new copies, not used ones.

But we will see if they throw on a bandaid or actually patch the game in just a few days.

i-Lo

Teaser for a...disaster relief plan?

Well, it's to ensure that the gaming community recognizes that Bioware is both aware of the issues and willing to communicate. In addition, a specific date is given to show that are currently busy getting feedback for a well thought out and presentable plan of action. These allay fears of Bioware being complacent.

Personally, I don't know how they fix the uninspiring plot and cringe worthy dialogues.

Vamphuntr

Pretty great they are doing this.I guess they were pretty much forced too after the reviews landed. It doesn't seem to be topping the charts either, even cdkeys are trying to offload their keys. I wonder how they will tackle a lot of the issues. I enjoyed the game overall but it's really the worst ME game for me and pretty much agree for 6-7/10 score.

A lot of stuffs could be improved moderately easily including the transitions between planets and systems, the overall driving around the nomad (two driving mode is pointless) and the crafting and mining system.MP wise they have to fix requiring to draw the same character card 10 time to be able to max level it and fix the damage output of guns and powers. Better matchmaking too. If it lags slightly you rubber band around like crazy and dead enemies still shoot at you haha.

The not so easy stuff to fix are the animation, numerous glitches and bugs, sometimes tumblr level writing, overall secondary NPC appearances, lack of music, Inquisition like gameplay loops and MMO sidequests.

The gameplay is really good with jumping and dashing around. Powers feel good to use too. Main story missions are well done but they are so few drowned in the sea of tedious fetch quests.

Excited to see how they will tackle all of the issues.

Omadahl

Banned
This is why I still have touched the story. I'm playing nothing but MP until it's patched into something tolerable.

Banned
They're gonna pull Mass Effect Andromeda from storefronts and retailers and release Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered.

They're gonna announce that Andromeda was an early April Fool's joke and that the real Mass Effect 4 will be released soon.

Right?

Tovarisc

Expected garbage fire thread and thread delivered.

People make fun of state of game and BW, demanding fixes and patches. BioWare tells us they will soon talk to us about their plans for future of MEA and people proceed to make more fun of MEA and BW.

People who are complaining about animations and asking Bioware to prioritize that stuff for the patches..... Oh boy, you guys have no idea lol

Cause you don't need an announcement to announcement, just tell your base how you plan on going about the fixes since you already know what the problems with the game is as they developed it.

No, you keep open lines of communication with people who bought your product. The patch may not be ready for a while and players wouldn't be happy to be left in the dark and if or when any fixes are arriving.

It's pretty clear what's happened with MEA (which I haven't played btw) - it was given to a lesser dev team who couldn't handle a AAA release, and then EA tried to force it through once it was clear there were systemic problems. It was not "lazy developers" or people who intentionally wanted to waste your time, or a group of people who sat around hoping they would become the butt of a bunch of childish memes mocking them. I hear surprisingly little criticism of EA on these forums, who is quite clearly the culprit behind all of this - making an ME game anyway when the original studio wanted to move on and then forcing the game through to finish when it was not ready.

But now that the devs want to try to at least partly make it right, we're shitting on them? Can I ask why? This is not the publisher communicating with you - these are devs who're clearly in over their head, but are hard-working people who wanted to make a good product nonetheless.

I'm sure I'm missing some kind of insult here, but I don't follow you.

Retro

c8h9a88uwaaytsz.jpg-ecy3y.jpeg

I spent way too long making this...

V3e92q5.jpg

Good of them to acknowledge the issues people are having. Not so keen on the 'Stay tuned for April 4th!', but if they're not ready, they're not ready.

Complaints about the writing are pretty amusing. Mass Effect games have always had clumsy and hammy dialogue. The only real turd I've come across is the conversation about one character's theism. It's so bad you half expect Ryder to end each response with 'M'Lady'.

What would be awesome if they just came clean about the game's production problems. Instead of all the marketing speak. We all know what's come at this game over the past week or two. Their response doesn't quite capture the gravity of the situation. But of course they're going to be all corporate about it. That's the reality of the industry at that level.

They have a lot of work to do on this game though, that's for sure, so I hope they get working soon. Bugs, glitches, strange eyes, bad animation, some terribly clunky UI and systems.

Also special shoutout to the three times characters I hadn't met yet spoke to me over comms.

Gator86

People make fun of state of game and BW, demanding fixes and patches. BioWare tells us they will soon talk to us about their plans for future of MEA and people proceed to make more fun of MEA and BW.

People get to make harmless jokes and Bioware/EA walk away with millions of dollars from releasing a product they knew wasn't up to par. Pretty sure EA/Bioware came out ahead on the deal. Are consumers supposed to feel bad for a company for selling them a substandard product?

so bad: glitches, motion capture and facial animations, voice acting, and writing
Good: everything else?

Is this what people are critical of ?
Combat is okay, UI is a mess, the galaxy map is also a mess with tons of unskippable animation.

I also hate the scanning and the Alien Sudoku.

Vamphuntr

I feel many AAA companies need tastemakers to prevent this shit from happening.

Isn't that the director role in a nutshell? I guess the suits wanted the game out ASAP.

Fiscal year ends on the 31st so this is likely. It's pretty obvious they knew the game had shortcomings from mock reviews and playtests. In the last rounds of previews they were really trying hard to hammer the fact you don't have to do sidequests and that more bugs will be fixed in the final release.

EA probably forced their hands. They still can fix it. and it's pretty great they are doing this.

I'll doubt I'll even be a fraction done with Persona 5 by the time a patch does go up. Either way, I have the game still sealed because I can't motivate myself to start it knowing some of the issues. I think they should have probably patched it this week.

Yeah. It'll be there when you're ready :p I just resumed Nier for now, and will resume MEA after P5.

To all people bringing up the predictable announcement for an announcement jokes, they're in no position to stay silent and just wait for the day they will be able to talk about whatever they're trying to fix.
The longer they stay silent, the worse it gets, since people will just think they won't do shit about the game.

No, you keep open lines of communication with people who bought your product. The patch may not be ready for a while and players wouldn't be happy to be left in the dark and if or when any fixes are arriving.

It's pretty clear what's happened with MEA (which I haven't played btw) - it was given to a lesser dev team who couldn't handle a AAA release, and then EA tried to force it through once it was clear there were systemic problems. It was not "lazy developers" or people who intentionally wanted to waste your time, or a group of people who sat around hoping they would become the butt of a bunch of childish memes mocking them. I hear surprisingly little criticism of EA on these forums, who is quite clearly the culprit behind all of this - making an ME game anyway when the original studio wanted to move on and then forcing the game through to finish when it was not ready.

But now that the devs want to try to at least partly make it right, we're shitting on them? Can I ask why? This is not the publisher communicating with you - these are devs who're clearly in over their head, but are hard-working people who wanted to make a good product nonetheless.

I'm sure I'm missing some kind of insult here, but I don't follow you.
It wasn't an insult, I was agreeing. Sorry :)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
At least this years garbage space game decided to not stay radio silent for months afterwards. Small graces!

Tovarisc

To all people bringing up the predictable announcement for an announcement jokes, they're in no position to stay silent and just wait for the day they will be able to talk about whatever they're trying to fix.
The longer they stay silent, the worse it gets, since people will just think they won't do shit about the game.

BW can't win with MEA anymore, just look at this thread.

I'm glad they're taking the time to respond and address the reaction to the game. I respect that they're at least willing to engage in some way.

Hopefully we'll see some solid fixes come through.
I'm tempering my expectations though.

I really and truly wonder what they can possibly do to address issues. It sounds like there are more problems than just some bugs and poor animation. The few videos I've seen of the dialogue and the gist I've gotten of the broader story render the game almost completely unappealing to me.

This is probably gonna be a ME3 for me where the backlash turned me off of playing the game until the next game comes out. I'll probably give it a shot when the definitive edition is out for cheap.

I guess they got a lot of glitched cakes to retake ME: Andromeda.

Never ever buy anything huge on launch jeez how many games have launched perfectly recently ?

Yep, pretty much. Moral of the story is that people just really, really enjoy complaining lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom