• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Its been a year since Xbox Announced Cross-Network Play

Gowans

After the Announcement on 14th March 2016 & GAF Thread there has been little movement on this.

Apart from Rocket League connecting the Steam played and the GWENT beta connecting to GoG players I can't think of any other instances.

I thought for sure the first would have came from Minecraft and realms support on all platforms.

What do you think is next GAF? the dream on PSN / XBox games is dead now right?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Another example:
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare Xbox Live with Call of Duty Infinite Warfare Windows 10 Store.

Edit: ^ Wrong ^

Another example:
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare Xbox Live with Call of Duty Infinite Warfare Windows 10 Store.

aren't they separate?

A guy was able to get a refund as he was only able to play with the only other person who bought the Win10 store version.

Theswweet

Isn't Elite: Dangerous cross-play as well? I know that a friend of mine was bugging another friend I game-share with to get that, and said friend only has an Xbox.. so I checked and iirc that was cross-play compatible.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
aren't they separate?

A guy was able to get a refund as he was only able to play with the only other person who bought the Win10 store version.
You are right. I only saved it as something something cross play in my mind but yeah, it's not cross play any which way.

Gowans

Isn't Elite: Dangerous cross-play as well? I know that a friend of mine was bugging another friend I game-share with to get that, and said friend only has an Xbox.. so I checked and iirc that was cross-play compatible.

No just the background meta stuff, players are only PC - PC, PS4 - PS4, Xbox - Xbox

Caayn

I thought for sure the first would have came from Minecraft and realms support on all platforms.
Last I heard of this Mojang/MS was still working on bringing it to console, but want feature parity first.

You can currently already have cross-play between mobile and W10 versions of Minecraft.

Sony didn't play ball, and Sony is still selling PS4s like hot cakes. A change this drastic that could possibly affect their bottom line wasn't going to happen unless both sides were 100% certain it would greatly benefit both of them.

So, fat chance. I'd imagine that even if it was allowed stipulations enforced by Sony and Microsoft would keep most developers from implementing it completely.

Caayn

Only exploration, powerplay, etc stuff is shared between platforms. You can't actually meet players from other platforms in Elite.

But it's a cool touch to see systems discovered by players on another platform.

LewieP

I am interested to see how Nintendo approach this with the Switch, particularly with Rocket League if it gets a Switch version.

Even at the time of the announcement it was clear that there would be roadblocks to it actually happening.

We've had a couple of devs go on the record that whilst MS are technically allowing it, their policies on the matter make it impractical in reality.

I think we'd really need a game to be designed specifically around accommodating Microsoft/Sony/Steam to get this to actually work, but it would have to be fairly basic multiplayer. I also don't think there is a financial incentive for a third party publisher to fund such a venture.

The ball is in Sony's camp :^)

Who camps with a ball?

Edit: More seriously though, can people saying it is Sony's fault offer any evidence or reasoning why? I'd accept the idea that MS and Sony policies are incompatible, but Sony have a track record of being far more flexible with this stuff than any other console manufacturer.

Caayn

Where is the ball currently?
3cf1fc52f0d26226d580c3472e4a48d7.gif

Edit: More seriously though, can people saying it is Sony's fault offer any evidence or reasoning why? I'd accept the idea that MS and Sony policies are incompatible, but Sony have a track record of being far more flexible with this stuff than any other console manufacturer.

I think news like this from Psyonix pretty much super glued the ball to Sony's court, whether that is the hold up or not.

Synth

We've had a couple of devs go on the record that whilst MS are technically allowing it, their policies on the matter make it impractical in reality.

I see that others have already covered the Psyonix/Rocket League stuff... but what are the examples you're referring to of devs going on record to claim that MS' policies make it impractical?

I'm only aware of Final Fantasy XIV's situation, and that one makes sense. The one crossplay policy that MS have made publically clear is that XB1 users wouldn't be forced to play crossplay. So in the case of FFXIV, this would mean running a server specifically for XB1 players... which if they were willing to do, the game would already have been ported in the first place.

Cross Network Play hasn't got much traction since it was mainly pointed at Sony as a PR move, didn't have much impact so they didn't bother to push it further with Steam CNP.

JPS Kai

I see that others have already covered the Psyonix/Rocket League stuff... but what are the examples you're referring to of devs going on record to claim that MS' policies make it impractical?

I'm only aware of Final Fantasy XIV's situation, and that one makes sense. The one crossplay policy that MS have made publically clear is that XB1 users wouldn't be forced to play crossplay. So in the case of FFXIV, this would mean running a server specifically for XB1 players... which if they were willing to do, the game would already have been ported in the first place.

Yet Final Fantasy XI made it work for the last two gens.

terrier

Cant get any more obivous then this. But Hey this is for the Players, right?

for ps4 players. I do not think that adding a few more from XB would really benefit ps4 players that much.

That said it is probably more complicated than just saying yes... probably all have to change part of their ToS to get this working.

Synth

Yet Final Fantasy XI made it work for the last two gens.

That's because there's a single server. MS made an exception back then, and didn't duplicate it afterwards (they'd do anything for Square back then).

Final Fantasy XI doesn't have an Xbox server separate from the PC/PlayStation server. That's why FFXIV wasn't ported, but games like DC Universe Online, or Elder Scrolls Online are, because they're willing to run multiple servers for different platforms.

How's that windows store to steam crossplay going for CoD: IW players going?

Must be Sony's fault.

Or Activisions?

Allowing crossplay is just that, allowing it. MS isn't going to actually implement it in other people's games for them. They have to do that themselves (e.g. Gwent and Rocket League).

nynt9

I don't really understand how this would even work across consoles. They have vastly different architectures for handling users and connections, and trying to make those two talk to each other sounds like a nightmare. Allowing it is one thing, setting up infrastructure to make it happen is another. I don't think this is trivial.

Also Microsoft's isn't your friend. They only seek to gain by this move. They have the smaller user base so this move would let their communities die off slower, it paints Sony negatively and it lets them gather data on users in sony's ecosystem. Assuming somy's evosystem would even be able to facilitate such an interaction. There's just too much we don't know. We'll have to see how Nintendo handle this as well.

I still say this was a brilliant Pr move. They get some ppl on their side, forum warriors blood flowing ready to blame the opposition, they look good in the process. Meanwhile in reality they gave no actual information, it was a half assed blog announcement , no were currently trying to talk or work with Sony absolutely nothing

Cant get any more obivous then this. But Hey this is for the Players, right?
For the players of the the PS4. Maybe Microsoft should integrate more with it's own PC offerings (W10 store games, Steam Games, etc.) before directly getting at the rival competitor who has a few games for cross play already under their belt.

I still say this was a brilliant Pr move. They get some ppl on their side, forum warriors blood flowing ready to blame the opposition, they look good in the process. Meanwhile in reality they gave no actual information, it was a half assed blog announcement , no were currently trying to talk or work with Sony absolutely nothing
Agreed.

Synth

I don't really understand how this would even work across consoles. They have vastly different architectures for handling users and connections, and trying to make those two talk to each other sounds like a nightmare. Allowing it is one thing, setting up infrastructure to make it happen is another. I don't think this is trivial.

I don't understand how this keeps coming up...

Look at Street Fighter V, Rocket League, or any other crossplay game. In SFV Steam can't access PSN, but that doesn't matter, because you have a CFN id that binds them.

LewieP

This what what I had in mind, and it sounds like a very similar situation to FFXIV.

And yes I agree with your assessment, that is a policy that would make it extremely difficult to implement cross-platform play in many games (and no doubt, MS have other policies, and Sony would have similar policies in mind).

AALLx

Until FFXIV is finally on a Microsoft console, I'd say the ball will always stay on MS's court. Actions speak louder than words in this case.

Synth

This what what I had in mind, and it sounds like a very similar situation to FFXIV.

And yes I agree with your assessment, that is a policy that would make it extremely difficult to implement cross-platform play in many games (and no doubt, MS have other policies, and Sony would have similar policies in mind).

Yea, sounds like the same issue... that in order to have a crossplay MMO, you'd have to run the Xbox server and the combined server, rather than being able to just have the one.

Until FFXIV is finally on a Microsoft console, I'd say the ball will always stay on MS's court. Actions speak louder than words in this case.

MS' words tell us why FFXIV crossplay isn't happening though (Xbox players can opt out of playing crossplay). It's a very valid reason for any MMO to not bother, but less so for the vast majority of P2P based games.

Microsoft said:
”Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players,"

It's not some hidden policy.

LewieP

Yea, sounds like the same issue... that in order to have a crossplay MMO, you'd have to run the Xbox server and the combined server, rather than being able to just have the one.

I think it's more than that. Running two servers would be manageable, but letting players switch between "Xbox Only" and "Cross platform" on the fly would be a nightmare. Even for games without dedicated servers (albeit less-so).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sorry but who the hell gets to make unilateral declarations of cooperation with their competitors in business?

Announcing before any agreement has been reached between all parties is a transparent ploy.

Top Bottom