• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

hateradio

Bible stuff.

Long story short:

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

Totally appropriate for Mass Effect and not pretentious at all.
I know it's bible stuff; I just didn't know what it meant. I wonder if he had that before he put the ME-inspired tattoo.

idyc4ejMlVhCi.jpg

He/She will never know the touch of a woman/man.

Rufus

Those shoulders are way too wide to be a woman's. And you keep telling yourself that, that person could be married for all we know. To a woman with equally tacky tattoos.

Aske

The indoctrination theory is just proof of how devoted Bioware's fanbase really is. The fans literally crafted an over the top theory just to make Bioware's writers look better. It's sad that those very same fans are called "entitled" as well by the gaming press.

So I wanted to look into this Indoctrination Theory people keep talking about. Given the derisive attitude of those who have mentioned it, I expected it to be a contrived, desperate argument with no real evidence beyond imaginative interpretations used to fill plot holes; all glued together by fan desperation.

But then I watched this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZOyeFvnhiI&feature=fvwrel

The arguments are hard to refute. After being presented with the montage of Bioware tweets at 18:40, I was completely sold.

The bottom line: does this theory seem more or less likely than the idea that Bioware's writers would just go nuts and throw away everything they'd established over the course of the game in the final ten minutes?

The hardest thing to achieve in the game is the two second scene which shows Shepard breathing. The Citadel just blew up, and the 'Destroy' option is supposed to kill Shepard anyway, if the space-god's word is to be taken at face value. So let's say the game's ending is exactly as it appears, and is just terrible. Why include this scene that shows Shepard didn't die when the player picks the 'Destroy' option? Where is Shepard's body, and how did it get there? Why is it available to only the most committed of players?

It's impossible to explain in the context of the narrative as it stands. It only makes any sense as a teaser to show that Shepard is still laying in the rubble of London, coming out of a dream sequence induced by Reaper indoctrination, and about to get the fuck up and finish the fight.

The idea that the real ending to the game will be following as DLC is disgusting, even if it is free. But it's still far, far less crazy than the ending as it stands, which not only makes no sense in the context of the game, but flagrantly contradicts what Bioware specifically said the ending would be prior to the release of the game.

I hate the way Bioware chose to do this. I hate that I'll have to wait months to finish the game properly. But I'm now certain that we'll get a true ending to the trilogy, that this was the plan all along, and that the extra content is not simply on its way because Bioware hit the panic button due to fan rage.

I'm actually surprised that the prevailing opinion in this thread is to dismiss the Indoctrination Theory as nonsense born of fan desperation. Watch the video.

Rapstah

The hardest thing to achieve in the game is the two second scene which shows Shepard breathing. The Citadel just blew up, and the 'Destroy' option is supposed to kill Shepard anyway, if the space-god's word is to be taken at face value. So let's say the game's ending is exactly as it appears, and is just terrible. Why include this scene that shows Shepard didn't die when the player picks the 'Destroy' option? Where is Shepard's body, and how did it get there? Why is it available to only the most committed of players?

It's impossible to explain in the context of the narrative as it stands. It only makes any sense as a teaser to show that Shepard is still laying in the rubble of London, coming out of a dream sequence induced by Reaper indoctrination, and about to get the fuck up and finish the fight.

1. Bioware has specifically stated that people on the Citadel might have survived, so it can't have blown up entirely.
  2. There's nothing about that scene that says it's in London. The pipe you shoot collapses over where Shepard was standing in the cut scene that moves away from the room.

Even if the indoc theory was true, that would just make the ending worse. You end a 100 hour long trilogy with a dream sequence that isn't even confirmed to be true? Get the fuck out of here.

Aske

1. Bioware has specifically stated that people on the Citadel might have survived, so it can't have blown up entirely.
  2. There's nothing about that scene that says it's in London. The pipe you shoot collapses over where Shepard was standing in the cut scene that moves away from the room.

Let's say that when the Citadel blows up at the end of the game, sections of it seal off, including the one in which Shepard was standing. That still doesn't explain why Shepard is still alive in the extra scene. Shepard is partially synthetic, and the space-god specifically said that Shepard would be destroyed along with all synthetic life the player chose Destroy. Either the space-god was wrong, or he was lying. If he is what he appears, he has no reason to lie; and the entire premise of the ending as it stands is based on the truth and accuracy of everything he says - so why is Shepard still alive?

Even if the indoc theory was true, that would just make the ending worse. You end a 100 hour long trilogy with a dream sequence that isn't even confirmed to be true? Get the fuck out of here.

The additional ending DLC was planned before the game's release. It's not a result of Bioware giving in to fans; rather it has always been their intention to present players with a delay before revealing the real ending.

Rapstah

Let's say that when the Citadel blows up at the end of the game, sections of it seal off, including the one in which Shepard was standing. That still doesn't explain why Shepard is still alive in the extra scene. Shepard is partially synthetic, and the space-god specifically said that Shepard would be destroyed along with all synthetic life the player chose Destroy. Either the space-god was wrong, or he was lying. If he is what he appears, he has no reason to lie; and the entire premise of the ending as it stands is based on the truth and accuracy of everything he says - so why is Shepard still alive?

Space god says "even you are partly synthetic", nothing more than that, in reference to Shepard in the Destroy ending. Shepard surviving the synthetic parts dying is nothing weirder than Shepard's body staying intact through falling through the atmosphere in the beginning of ME2. Usually objects of Shepard's size that do that turn into dust upon re-entry, but you don't see anyone calling Mass Effect 2 indoctrination because of that.

The ending was written literally, like it or not. Every single production note and comment we have from Walters and the writing staff before they started going "we don't want to influence how people interpret the ending" because they realised they have something to earn from it points to it being literal.

Aske said:
The additional ending DLC was planned before the game's release. It's not a result of Bioware giving in to fans; rather it has always been their intention to present players with a delay before revealing the real ending.

And what exactly in the world points to this being the case except that it would confirm your theory if it was true?

ending press release said:
An official press release went out today announcing how we are re-prioritizing the Mass Effect 3 post release content schedule to provide a more fleshed out experience for our fans.

33611897.jpg

No, they didn't plan it before release. Besides the obvious, (folding to fan pressure) that is simply NOT how video games are made.

I know it sucks. I know you are looking for anything to comfort your sorrow. I've been there, just take a step back and think for a minute. They fucked up. They tried to make what should have been one of the greatest games ever in 18 months, as opposed to the 2-3 years they needed. The ending is simply a product of a rushed development cycle. Nothing more.

Aske

Fair point to say that I can't prove that the DLC was pre-planned. I think once it's out, we'll know if it was a hastily created apology or something Bioware had long planned to release in this way.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the DLC eventually releases. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong; but the arguments in the video make too much sense for me to ignore. If you guys don't buy them, so be it. There's nothing more I can add.

I maintain that the indoctrination theory is less improbable than the ending as it stands.

Rufus

Less improbable? Because it's inconceivable that they just fucked this up, for whatever reason (time, changing writers, etc.)?

rozay

Banned
Fair point to say that I can't prove that the DLC was pre-planned. I think once it's out, we'll know if it was a hastily created apology or something Bioware had long planned to release in this way.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the DLC eventually releases. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong; but the arguments in the video make too much sense for me to ignore. If you guys don't buy them, so be it. There's nothing more I can add.

I maintain that the indoctrination theory is less improbable than the ending as it stands.
Do you really think if there was a "true ending" planned from the beginning that they would wait 5-6 months to release it? It would've been out at the end of April at the latest!

That's not even taking into account how retarded and scattershot their post-release PR is. If this was planned from the beginning, they would know what they were doing. I've never gotten that impression from them.

Gui_PT

I'm sorry but that indoctrination video was the biggest pile of crap I have ever seen.

I had to turn it off half way through

That's just some desperate guy clinging to whatever he can so his beloved game doesn't suck.

Everything can be explained by crappy writing, which is all over the game

Dear lord that was annoying

Xosen

No, they didn't plan it before release. Besides the obvious, (folding to fan pressure) that is simply NOT how video games are made.

I know it sucks. I know you are looking for anything to comfort your sorrow. I've been there, just take a step back and think for a minute. They fucked up. They tried to make what should have been one of the greatest games ever in 18 months, as opposed to the 2-3 years they needed. The ending is simply a product of a rushed development cycle. Nothing more.

So true... :(

Indoctrination theory would have been awesome. But for it to be true, 2 things where needed. The true ending should have been in the disk (aka. planned and developed along the rest of the game), and it should have been unlocked in 2-4 weeks since the launch of the game (not 4 months later in the summer).

Gui_PT

"Hey this doesn't make sense. And that doesn't make sense.

You know why? Because Shepard is indoctrinated and it's a dream."

So STUPID

DTKT

Cannot be quoted enough.

nel e nel

It's not confirmation bias when you go into the video expecting it to be far-fetched bullshit.

Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias, myside bias or verification bias) is a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses.

The inverse would also be confirmation bias: the tendency to disregard information that refute their beliefs.

DTKT

The indoc theory is nullified by Patrick Weekes post and the Final Hours app.

It's born out of desperation for answers about the current endings. I really wish Bioware would come out and kill it. But, it's the only positive thing they have going since the release. Snuffing what little hope there is would probably damage the brand even further.

Massa

The indoc theory is nullified by Patrick Weekes post and the Final Hours app.

It's born out of desperation for answers about the current endings. I really wish Bioware would come out and kill it. But, it's the only positive thing they have going since the release. Snuffing what little hope there is would probably damage the brand even further.

I don't think it's that desperate, a friend of mine thought the ending was a dream when he played it and that was without looking up things on the internet.

Wasn't it delayed by 5 months or so as well? Imagine how much worse it could have been... now there's a horrifying thought.

Rufus

I don't think it's that desperate, a friend of mine thought the ending was a dream when he played it and that was without looking up things on the internet.
Getting singed by Harbinger did have a dream-like quality to it, but you're just about dead because of it, too. That can go either way.

Yea... noone argued it makes it better. It's still BS.
People are saying that Bioware are geniuses for pulling it off which implies that it's a better ending. If were true, it would still be the shittiest ending of all time because it doesn't end the main plot. Shepard is still on Earth while everyone dies.

The Indoctrination Theory is just something used to explain away the plot holes and inconsistencies. It was literally born out of the belief that Bioware couldn't make the shitty ending we got. People felt that Bioware had something up its sleeve and they thought that indoctrination was the ace.

While Bioware did plan on having an indoctrination sequence at the end, what we have now cannot be explained by indoctrination.

And ending this with just saying it was all a dream is shitty.

Yes. That's why I have returned. I can hear it from miles away.

I felt it in my bones.

televator

He killed me. But I tried again... :(

You poor fool. Well, misery loves company, no? I lose sleep over the image of me ruthlessly gunning him down...If only I had known! Marauder intended only to express the highest level of mercy by sparing me from the atrocious ending...but I killed him. I'm a...MURDERER!

hateradio

I think they rolled with whatever came into their minds. I still want to know why Cerberus was such a huge focus. I know they revived Shepard, but beyond that they should have just been a sidebar like in the first game.

Aske said:
The bottom line: does this theory seem more or less likely than the idea that Bioware's writers would just go nuts and throw away everything they'd established over the course of the game in the final ten minutes?
No, Drew Karpyshyn is a pretty bad plotter in general. It's all over ME2 and ME3. The Ending is just when he tried to make the badness deep and provocative.

IoCaster

Gold Member
I would really like to hear what Bioware had planned for the series finale, or if they just made it up as they went along.

Go replay ME2 and really pay attention this time. This whole series went off the rails storywise in the first few minutes of that game when they killed off and resurrected Shepard for no conceivable reason other than to force him to work for TIM/Cerberus. You remember Cerberus from ME, right? Somehow we're expected to believe that a small group of former Alliance black-ops goofballs transform into a near galactic superpower with seemingly unlimited funding and a private army. It's beyond wretched how incompetent Mac Walters is at crafting a coherent narrative.

Go replay ME2 and really pay attention this time. This whole series went off the rails storywise in the first few minutes of that game when they killed off and resurrected Shepard for no conceivable reason other than to force him to work for TIM/Cerberus. You remember Cerberus from ME, right? Somehow we're expected to believe that a small group of former Alliance black-ops goofballs transform into a near galactic superpower with seemingly unlimited funding and a private army. It's beyond wretched how incompetent Mac Walters is at crafting a coherent narrative.

I just figured the whole death/rebirth thing was a bit ham-handed, but it was the best way to Metroid Shepard at the beginning of the second game. I found all of the writing, in all three games, to be a bit too much at times.

Top Bottom