• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

True widescreen! To whom do we owe thanks?
XSEED actually hired a programmer to update the game for a Steam release (including widescreen support, achievements, etc.).

They're incredible. Most companies would just stick an older game on Steam with little to no effort put into it.

Sara

Just trying to make people happy. ^^; It looks like some people are having trouble with the intro video now though. Can anyone confirm they are or aren't having issues with that? And whether the opening logos or credits are giving them the same issues? By the way, I'm aware of a couple awkward black spots seen in widescreen mode. I'm trying to compile a list of them so I can fix/work around those cases.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Started playing the game again, thanks to the wide-screen patch. (which looks awesome btw)

Wasted like 20-minutes on the second boss due to not having the ruby, when I corrected my mistake the boss was like 10x easier.:p

iavi

Loaded up my old save to see how the widescreen turned out, and it does indeed look fabulous, though; it was actually a bit weird seeing the borders around the title screen and menu, having played through the whole thing stretched, lol.

Will Origins get the same treatment, out the gate?

2San

Just trying to make people happy. ^^; It looks like some people are having trouble with the intro video now though. Can anyone confirm they are or aren't having issues with that? And whether the opening logos or credits are giving them the same issues? By the way, I'm aware of a couple awkward black spots seen in widescreen mode. I'm trying to compile a list of them so I can fix/work around those cases.
Opening logo's are fine. There are definitely troubles with the intro video though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, I see the logo, but the opening video doesn't play. If I try to open it up in a normal video program also, the thing is messed up also.

Do you think it is possible to make the Rumble to work with the 360 controller without a driver to translate the calls?

Peff

I saw one here.

flowsnake

The Opening/Intro music video (not the logos) looked all glitchy, but then I accidentally skipped it. Haven't noticed it in those other places (though I haven't checked the credits).

A while after playing the game, a flash video glitched up in a similar way, and then my graphics card driver crashed. No idea if that's related.

amrod

The Opening/Intro music video (not the logos) looked all glitchy, but then I accidentally skipped it. Haven't noticed it in those other places (though I haven't checked the credits).

A while after playing the game, a flash video glitched up in a similar way, and then my graphics card driver crashed. No idea if that's related.

My intro Opening video is glitchy too
ATI card

iavi

From the sounds of it, it should. I guess it might be pushed back for more testing though?

I'm down for whatever gets us the best game out the gate, even if it means waiting a bit.

On a related note; hopefully Origins soundtrack is as good as Oath's. I don't want to spoil myself on YT, and I was just watching Oath's ending vid over again and nearly teared up, that track is so triumphant yet melancholy.

LowParry

I'm down for whatever gets us the best game out the gate, even if it means waiting a bit.

On a related note; hopefully Origins soundtrack is as good as Oath's. I don't want to spoil myself on YT, and I was just watching Oath's ending vid over again and nearly teared up, that track is so triumphant yet melancholy.

I'd put Origins pretty close to Oath's OST. Almost equal.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't like Origin's soundtrack much at first, but it grew on me a lot. Oath has much better instrumentation since Origin goes back to synth.

Ya know, I think the "beat the last boss without getting hit" achievement could be a possibility for me, but it's not happening when there's no way to skip all of the cut-scenes before the fight and there's no way to quit out of the fight or retry after taking a hit (other than letting it finish you off, which could take a while).

Sentenza

Ya know, I think the "beat the last boss without getting hit" achievement could be a possibility for me, but it's not happening when there's no way to skip all of the cut-scenes before the fight...
I didn't play this game in a while but I'm almost sure it's entirely possible...

Volcynika

Ya know, I think the "beat the last boss without getting hit" achievement could be a possibility for me, but it's not happening when there's no way to skip all of the cut-scenes before the fight and there's no way to quit out of the fight or retry after taking a hit (other than letting it finish you off, which could take a while).

It took me about 4 or 5 times on Very Easy. You can break the second phase if you're a high enough level (just hit his hands when he's taking your magic energy, can reset it to where the laser set doesn't even come out), then the third phase is just paying attention.

It took me about 4 or 5 times on Very Easy. You can break the second phase if you're a high enough level (just hit his hands when he's taking your magic energy, can reset it to where the laser set doesn't even come out), then the third phase is just paying attention.
What level did you do it at?

I feel like I have most of the patterns down, except for the second phase, so I'll check into your tip.

Other than that, it's just endurance (and dealing with the lengthy restart process).

Volcynika

What level did you do it at?

I feel like I have most of the patterns down, except for the second phase, so I'll check into your tip.

Other than that, it's just endurance (and dealing with the lengthy restart process).

I think I was 51. The damage you get from that gives you enough of a push to get through the second phase with little trouble. Third phase is just being patient and not getting sloppy.

Jut wanted to pop in and mention that this game seems to work fine on Mac under Wineskin. The intro movie doesn't load, but everything else seems to work fine without a lot of extra configuration. Far as I can tell, anyway, I'm only about an hour in.

I think I was 51. The damage you get from that gives you enough of a push to get through the second phase with little trouble. Third phase is just being patient and not getting sloppy.
Unf, well my Very Easy save is already on 52.

Ah well, I'm working on the other achievements for now. I'm sure beating it on Hard and Nightmare will practice me up good for this one. :)

Anyone who doesn't already own this on steam it's $5 now. Your excuses mean nothing to me, buy it now. Summer sale is up. Also, Origin is at $12. Well bloody worth it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I use RB for magic so I can just keep it charged (I would have used the trigger but I don't think that worked).

A for attack, B for jump (some may prefer an A/X combination here), and one of the other buttons for boost, doesn't really matter since you won't be using it super-often like the others.

Start for menu, obviously.

LB to change magic/skills.

Man, I love this game. I've only just beaten the second boss of the Lava Zone, but every time I get to a new boss I think "fuck this game, shit is impossible" then after enough patience and practice, I manage to take it down.

The guy on the bridge so far was the worst. The first 10-15 times I fought him I couldn't even take off 100 HP before dying, and on the attempt where I finally beat him, I barely even got hit.

The guy on the bridge so far was the worst. The first 10-15 times I fought him I couldn't even take off 100 HP before dying, and on the attempt where I finally beat him, I barely even got hit.
He was the worst for me, too; and by "worst" I mean the most fun. Took me so many retries, but I loved every second of it.

I bought this when it first came out on Steam and never got around to playing it until now. I got to the Eldern Mountains in one sitting, so it's safe to say the game has hooked me. My only complaint would be that some of the platforming in this game is pretty shitty and poorly designed, but everything else is great.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I see some videos on youtube with english voice acting. Why isn't that in the steam version?

Okay, so I started out playing Origin and picked up Oath just today.

I love having maps and a town full of people! and shops! haha.
Granted Origin has a different pace of action without those things but I really like this traditional take, after all!
Feeling right at home.

Even the music feels more familiar...

I remember trying the Korean translation when I was younger, but I was too bad at games then.

Chris R

Game is kicking my ass on easy (well the bosses anyways)... Going to look up a guide to see if I'm missing anything or if I'm just that bad at the game :(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Forget guides. Find a video of it on youtube, as there are plenty. It still takes some skill once you know what to do, but a lot of them have tricks to them. Jumping is also much more important as a dodge than you may realize at first.

However, it's extremely satisfying figuring out how to take them down yourself.

Chris R

Also, what are the green leafy things... I haven't been able to pick up a single one yet it looks like. And a double jump would be nice since I'm seeing items and stuff that are just out of reach right now :(

Also, what are the green leafy things... I haven't been able to pick up a single one yet it looks like. And a double jump would be nice since I'm seeing items and stuff that are just out of reach right now :(

The leaves are herbs that heal you when you pick them up, but you can't take them if you are at full health. You get double jump and such later in the game.

Should I save the Raval crystals or should I use them to up items early game?
Forget guides. Find a video of it on youtube, as there are plenty. It still takes some skill once you know what to do, but a lot of them have tricks to them. Jumping is also much more important as a dodge than you may realize at first.

However, it's extremely satisfying figuring out how to take them down yourself.
Yes, I've been doing exactly that on youtube.
Figured out the trick for the first boss just now and it's extremely satisfying!

First boss tip (not the solution):
Guys, for the first boss, if you go buy a longsword it'll be easier, if you don't mind the walk back.

Top Bottom