• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu July 14 (DQ9 review)

Speevy

Banned
Let me be clear. It's not that I don't want the PSP to have games, but I would have settled for an Xbox 360 exclusive. This game is so beautiful and its giant battlefield benefits from a TV.

jiggle

Speevy said:
Let me be clear. It's not that I don't want the PSP to have games, but I would have settled for an Xbox 360 exclusive. This game is so beautiful and its giant battlefield benefits from a TV.

hopefully there is a console one coming still, with the artist from the first game. waste of a beautiful engine if not

Speevy said:

Eh, I think it'll be just fine on the PSP, and Valkyria on the Go is all goodness.

Speevy said:
You don't even know how the game looks or plays yet.

Kyoufu

Speevy said:

Yeah but the gameplay concept can be done on any system, and thats what I care about, the gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, I too would prefer to play it on a console but at the end of the day if they keep the gameplay intact then it will be great no matter how it looks.

xfactor said:
The 10th full scores from Famitsu, for the 10th Dragon Quest game

The rest of the games which got full scores from Famitsu according to wiki

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)
2. Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)
3. Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., Ltd., for PlayStation)
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo for Nintendo GameCube)
5. Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)
6. Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)
7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)
8. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, Konami, for PlayStation 3)
9. 428: Fūsasareta Shibuya de (2008, Sega, for Wii)
Are you fricking kidding me?

Speevy said:

So true. I don't care if they make it PS360. The game was just awesome.

By the way, i own a PSP so that's not the problem. This just pisses me off.

idlewild_

welp, that's it, time to get a psp...guess i'll wait for the go before jumping in.

Befragen19 said:

what's wrong w/that? its nintendo's top first party game for the ds...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
jiggle said:
hopefully there is a console one coming still, with the artist from the first game. waste of a beautiful engine if not

Just be happy they did not keep the franchise to one game

BlueWord

Nice score for DQIX. Not unexpected, but given the outpouring of hate that seemed to coming from Japan, I'm glad to see it still scored well.

As for VC2... well, I'll take what I can get. I do wonder why they moved the game to PSP, though; were the sales not high enough to inspire confidence in full-fledged, high-budget sequel?

kenta

Has no PEINS
Gah, can't find scans at the usual places. There must be a new usual place. Want to see this new VC art

Anyone else notice the complete and utter coincidence that just as Japan's video game market starts to kind of go down the toilet, Famitsu suddenly bumps up the number of 40s?

WOW JAPAN WE ARE SUDDENLY SO GOOD AT MAKING VIDEOGAMES HOW CRAZY

jvalioli

kenta said:
Gah, can't find scans at the usual places. There must be a new usual place. Want to see this new VC art
With the use of the quote function in google you should be able to find VC stuff easily.

Tenbatsu

Kobun Heat said:
Anyone else notice the complete and utter coincidence that just as Japan's video game market starts to kind of go down the toilet, Famitsu suddenly bumps up the number of 40s?

WOW JAPAN WE ARE SUDDENLY SO GOOD AT MAKING VIDEOGAMES HOW CRAZY
MH3 Tri - 10 10 10 10

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
xfactor said:
The 10th full scores from Famitsu, for the 10th Dragon Quest game

The rest of the games which got full scores from Famitsu according to wiki

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)
2. Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)
3. Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., Ltd., for PlayStation)
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo for Nintendo GameCube)
5. Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)
6. Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)
7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)
8. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, Konami, for PlayStation 3)
9. 428: Fūsasareta Shibuya de (2008, Sega, for Wii)
Obviously there are others on the list that have been controversial, but....really?

Befragen19 said:

You're about 4 years late to that party. And it gets mentioned every time theres a review people want to quibble over.

It's also one of the most successful DS titles that continues to sell on whatever, word of mouth or something. Sure sales =/= quality, but Nintendo did something right, even if the game isn't for you.

BlueWord said:
Nice score for DQIX. Not unexpected, but given the outpouring of hate that seemed to coming from Japan, I'm glad to see it still scored well.

As for VC2... well, I'll take what I can get. I do wonder why they moved the game to PSP, though; were the sales not high enough to inspire confidence in full-fledged, high-budget sequel?

Sounds plausible enough. The franchise has the following, just apparently not enough of one to support being on the PS3. I think it'll do a lot better for Sega on the PSP.

Darkpen

Banned
Hearing that there was a VC2 being made made me go OMFGHDFJDS;FKJADFJDSKFJA;DFAFJ

Hearing it was on PSP made me go YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Seeing the character design....

what

very excited for DQ9 but who didn't expect a 40/40? like FF13, I would be more surprised if it didn't get a perfect score from them.

Valkyria on PSP makes so much sense. I still hope there is a PS3 sequel in the future with online.

Freyjadour said:
How'd you like DQIX?
It was more of a general observation of Famitsu than any comment on DQIX in particular. Square Enix and massively hyped games tend to get better scores than they deserve. Unknown franchises tend to get the shaft.

Yeah, don't pay attention to the Famitsu review.

lupin23rd

VC2 on PSP doesn't really bother me, but it would be nice if Sega did SOMETHING (not necessarily even VC) with that gorgeous engine they've got sitting around.

Give it to Nagoshi for a few months =P

CO_Andy

Typical anime hero with spikey hair, and a direct sequel on portable? I feel like Vyse right now :(

3b77db9ab0df2529c9b806ee65c79e415g.jpg

Azure J

I saw the new stuff for Valkryia Chronicles 2 on another forum and could instantly hear some of the stuff a lot of folks here would say about it, especially about it being on PSP and the new style change.

Needless to say, GAF didn't disappoint. :lol

Darkpen

Banned
I was REALLY hoping they'd do something super interesting with the sequel, but I fear that this will be more along the lines of a mercenary acadamy highschool drama sort of thing, based on the outfits....

But what the fuck is going on with the Valkyurer?? Short skirt? Seriously? I mean, it was already pushing it with the Gallian women's fatigue, but jesus.

The game looks to take place 2 years after the original game, but I hope we can get some translations on that scan.

Top Bottom