• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Monolith Soft run over Square-Enix with 'X'?

Eidan

Versus hasn't really had any more irregular a development cycle, it has just been constantly interrupted by Square Enix execs putting the team to work on other teams' projects since THEY have screwed up (not Nomura's team). The game was announced way too early and they've apologized for that, but after that the development has advanced as any other game's, except with the interruptions.

That sounds like the very definition of an irregular development cycle.

Is anyone even working on Versus right now? Do we have an ETA on a playable demo? Is there any reason at all to believe that the promises first made over half a decade ago will actually come to pass? Has Square given anyone any reason to have faith in this disaster of a project?

Famassu

Like what?
Well...

Final Fantasy XII (International Zodiac Job System*)
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep (a better action RPG than any of the classic Squaresoft ones)
The World Ends With You (another awesome action RPG)
Theatrhythm
Dissidia 012
(Bravely Default*)
(FF Type-0*)

*only in Japan :'(

+ a plethora of not-the-greatest-and-perhaps-a-bit-flawed-but-still-decent games

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I think 2014 is going to be a good year for Square.

This year doesn't seem too promising outside of possibly BDFF if localized.

They will have to wow me in a big way at E3/TGS/JF to convince me otherwise.

Still want to see Lord of Vermilion for Wii U using that Gamepad. IT CAN WORK.

The Hermit

MEANWHILE AT SQUARE JAPAN

LtiPZEl.gif

nxkih3.jpgome7f.gif

Vamphuntr

I'll have to play it and the next big game from SE to decide. Trailers don't mean much. Monolith Soft has been hit or miss often with me and I could say the same for modern SE.

Eidan

Well...

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep (a better action RPG than any of the classic Squaresoft ones)
Theatrhythm
Dissidia 012
(Bravely Default*)
(FF Type-0*)

+ a plethora of not-the-greatest-and-perhaps-a-bit-flawed-but-still-decent games

They only make worthwhile handheld games now? This explains a lot.

Anth0ny

I definitely got a Versus XIII vibe from seeing the trailer

except this is a real game

and it's gonna come out

HYPE

King_Moc

Banned
I love me some Xenoblade, but to say they're better than SE on one game and a slight whiff of another is a bit of an overreaction. SE don't just make Final Fantasy.

Famassu

That sounds like the very definition of an irregular development cycle.
It's irregular in that it's not a game that has been worked on all the time because of other projects, but it's not irregular in that it's somehow been hugely problematic and Nomura doesn't know shit about what direction to take the game or what he's doing.

Is anyone even working on Versus right now?
Possibly not, at least not a large team. XIV 2.0 seems to have crippled pretty much most of their HD development except whatever the Osaka team might be doing (since that is not in Tokyo but... Osaka, probably easier to let their do their own thing that mix them up in it too). I'm pretty much assuming even Lightning Returns is mostly outsourced to Tri-Ace (even to a higher degree than XIII-2 before it).

Do we have an ETA on a playable demo?
No, why should we? If it's not being focused on, it's just better that they keep quiet about it and not raise false hope.

Is there any reason at all to believe that the promises first made over half a decade ago will actually come to pass?
Given that those same promises have been repeated, build upon and even somewhat shown to be true, yes? The game might end up controlling like shit or something, we can't really judge that until we've played it, but the scope is not something that is likely to disappoint. The world will be huge and you'll have reasons to explore it & will have different means to do so.

Has Square given anyone any reason to have faith in this disaster of a project?
Please explain how is it a disaster? It has a capable team behind it (KH team + a lot of people who worked on FFVII and even SQEX's masterful CGI team is giving a hand) and it taking this long after the announcement is a combination of them simply being stupid with announcing it, like, almost two years before they did much on the game and them not being able to have a full team to work on it for long periods of time once they DID start to actively work on it. That's not a disaster, it's just a victim of certain circumstances they don't have any say in (XIII's development being what it was, XIV 1.0 being a disaster at launch).

Ikael

Squarenix's quality nosedive is pretty much the whole reason behind the "JRPGS are dead and stagnant" rap. Glad to see that you guys are looking beyond that fosile company to get your JRPG goodness.

That being said, "Squarenix is irrelevant" is a really foolish thing to say. Squarenix still commands a huge sway on how the public percieves an entire genre (see my previous point), and sits in a trove of hugely valuable IP's that most companies would kill for (and that they mismanage in a horrible fashion).

Eidan

Given that those same promises have been repeated, build upon and even somewhat shown to be true, yes? The game might end up controlling like shit or something, we can't really judge that until we've played it, but the scope is not something that is likely to disappoint. The world will be huge and you'll have reasons to explore it & will have different means to do so.

I doubt it because Square has yet to ever make a game of that kind of scope. And the one game that was intended to do so conveniently gets put on the backburner for six years.

Please explain how is it a disaster? It has a capable team behind it (KH team + a lot of people who worked on FFVII and even SQEX's masterful CGI team is giving a hand)

By your own admission, there is no team behind it. They're all working on other projects.

and it taking this long after the announcement is a combination of them simply being stupid with announcing it, like, almost two years before they did much on the game and them not being able to have a full team to work on it for long periods of time once they DID start to actively work on it.

Mismanagement that has led to a game that was announced in 2006 STILL not having a playable demo in 2013 is a disaster in my eyes.

I'm convinced that Type-0 and Bravely Default were made by a company other than Square Enix.

There are five Square Enixes.

1)Eidos, which does it's own thang.
2)The mystical, mythical company that put out Type-0 and Bravely Default.
3)Enix, which only emerges every so often to remind you of Dragon Quest.
4)Nomura soft, which puts out all these neat little KH games, TWEWY, and claims to have a top-secret console game in the works.
5)Square, which only releases FF4 ports and FFXIII sequels.
I'm laughing to hide the tears induced by facing reality.

I got more of a Last Remnant vibe to the character. Like Zack Fair meets the Last Remnant meets Gaur Plain.

Anyways, this game shits on anything I've seen from Versus. Square Enix, get your shit together.

Seik

Banned
Xenoblade and X together got more hype from me than anything SE announced in the past 5 years (maybe even more).

Everytime we see a future announcement coming from Square-Enix everyone is like:

"For iOS."
"Prepare for dissapointment."
*insert joke about Versus*

I feel like I could watch this X trailer for like 50 times, I'm hyped as fuck. So yeah, Monolith is, for this gen, what Square was in the 90s for me. SE totally lost it, I concider them dead until they prove me wrong.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Your optimism will not avail you.

I don't know where he/she gets it.

Even if you believe Versus development is currently underway and that the project is going well, one would only have to look to their stable of disappointing to dog shit releases this gen to get clued in that in all likelihood its going to suck little red rabbit dick.

It would be like leaving a hundred dollar bill under your windshield wiper when parked at the mall, knowing full well what people are like, and then being optimistic that it will still be there when you return.

Verendus

Banned
All we really know is that X is made by the same people who brought us Xenoblade, that the game looks to be much like Xenoblade, and that it will release years before Versus.
True, which gives the game potential.

Versus is being brought to us by the people behind Kingdom Hearts and FF7, and will likely be out next year. I have much higher expectations for it due to the talent behind it. If it's not out in 2014, it would be because development has moved to next generation. In which case, X doesn't really stand a chance of being more impressive. But it's very unlikely they'll do that.

I don't think you'll see X sooner than you'll see Versus XIII. It will be here in 2014.

I definitely got a Versus XIII vibe from seeing the trailer

except this is a real game

and it's gonna come out

HYPE

I thought it had a Versus vibe....then I realised the combat was not user controlled like KH but instead had the same system as Xenoblade.......

I hate that system

sublimit

Banned
I think it would've been more fair for SE to compare them with great developers and publishers like PopCap,Zynga,Playfish and Gameloft.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I don't know where he/she gets it.

Even if you believe Versus development is currently underway and that the project is going well, one would only have to look to their stable of disappointing to dog shit releases this gen to get clued in that in all likelihood its going to suck little red rabbit dick.

It would be like leaving a hundred dollar bill under your windshield wiper when parked at the mall, knowing full well what people are like, and then being optimistic that it will still be there when you return.

Some are blinded by light not knowing the darkness that envelops them has the truth of what Square has become. They don't have a coherent identity anymore.

beje

Banned
What gives me the best vibes about this game against most other RPGs this generation is that its first teaser trailer shows ONLY GAMEPLAY. No CGs, no misleading "target renders", no bullshots with 8xAA, no extreme close-ups showing you how much manpower and budget went down the drain modelling the main character's hair so it can look flashy during scripted battle sequences and a couple of cutscenes, no "deep" sentences taken out of a cliché book, no moe, kawaii or waifus. Just gameplay. And given the state of the industry and especially, the JRPG industry, it's a huge statement of intentions.

Jomjom

Banned
This looks like much more of a spiritual successor to the gears series so Im pretty hyped. SE wishes they could put out a game that looks this good.

Cwarrior

Well...

Theatrhythm
Dissidia 012
(Bravely Default*)
(FF Type-0*)

A lot of these handheld games are outsourced and made by other third party devs.

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy - Silicon Studio
Dragon quest 9 - Level 5
The world ends with you -Jupiter
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy -indieszero
Final fantasy 3 ds remake & FF4 remake - Matrix Software

Exentryk

This looks amazing! This is the first game that has me more excited for it than Versus.

Any ideas on when it is coming out?

Gravijah

This looks like much more of a spiritual successor to the gears series so Im pretty hyped. SE wishes they could put out a game that looks this good.

hailtothekingbaby7qf49.png

If there are those that can enjoy subpar mediocrity then good for them. I applaud your easy satisfaction in the gaming genre of RPGs.

The absolute subjectivity of gaming makes this a silly battle, anyway. I'm off to end the universe with some science experiments and create a completely new one! Ta ta!

Not exactly, but Square looks pretty bad right now with X's fantastic trailer coming right after the shitastic Lightning Returns one

sublimit

Banned
What gives me the best vibes about this game against most other RPGs this generation is that its first teaser trailer shows ONLY GAMEPLAY. No CGs, no misleading "target renders", no bullshots with 8xAA, no extreme close-ups showing you how much manpower and budget went down the drain modelling the main character's hair so it can look flashy during scripted battle sequences and a couple of cutscenes, no moe or kawaii. Just gameplay. And given the state of the industry and especially, the JRPG industry, it's a huge statement of intentions.

Good point.This trailer made me dream about its (real time) world and characters and it has been a long while since a trailer managed to do that for me.

Top Bottom