• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolithsoft WiiU trailer - X (Takahashi x Tanaka x Sawano, Xenoblade x/multiplayer?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The grass. All of the grass is moving.

ibdB8xQbkewx14.gif
And popping in during the approach to the largest dinosaur-thing. Hope they fix than Xenoblade already had a lot of that.

Still very pretty.

mclem

So I was staring at this image, and thinking a bit, and I think I see explicit confirmation that this is a direct sequel to Xenoblade.

As those of you who've played Xenoblade will know, there's a day/night cycle in the game; different monsters appear at different times, for instance, with occasional 'special weather conditions' leading to special monsters appearing.

While we don't see any day/night cycle directly, there *is* a clock for some reason, and I think inspecting the clock does give a pretty big hint that this might be a sequel to Xenoblade.

duckroll

I just realised that the green circular target that appears in battle enables you to target different parts of an enemies body. With the massive dinosaur at the start of the trailer you can target each leg and everything else. Awesome!

I don't know if these were gif'd yet
datscalexlqf1.gif

....dat scale

That's a great catch. Solid observation. Along with the weapon switching (?) mechanic and the mechs, it's obvious that this game will have lots more choices in combat. Definitely a huge plus, especially for a game where you only control one character directly.

majik13

Have you played any game with grass in the past couple years? Lol.

serious, even all of xenoblades grass moved, if I am not mistaken. I was a little disappointing that the characters are not moving interacting with the grass still though. Looks like it is wind only again.

So I was staring at this image, and thinking a bit, and I think I see explicit confirmation that this is a direct sequel to Xenoblade.

As those of you who've played Xenoblade will know, there's a day/night cycle in the game; different monsters appear at different times, for instance, with occasional 'special weather conditions' leading to special monsters appearing.

While we don't see any day/night cycle directly, there *is* a clock for some reason, and I think inspecting the clock does give a pretty big hint that this might be a sequel to Xenoblade.

There is a clock, and it says Reyn in that screen! TIME RE:YN :lol

DaBoss

J0C8CBN.jpg

lol who changed the time on that clock to say Reyn Time.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Just woke up, I'm dying here. I have a copy of Xenoblade but no Wii so I haven't played that yet. However Xenogears is my favorite game of all time and those little details in the trailer tugged on my heartstrings in all the right ways.

If this doesn't get a simultaneous NA release I'm just going to import a Wii U.

skypunch

Banned
That's a great catch. Solid observation. Along with the weapon switching (?) mechanic and the mechs, it's obvious that this game will have lots more choices in combat. Definitely a huge plus, especially for a game where you only control one character directly.

Yep. I can see this happening. I just know Monolith have created a fantastic battle system.

duckroll

Can someone gif the weapon switching scene at about 0:36 of the trailer? I'm really curious as to how it works. Being able to equip a sub-weapon would be awesome.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
While I am very excited for the game, the visual design leaves me a bit disappointed. If it were another series I might not have noticed, but it just seems a bit dull in comparison to Xenoblade. And the face at the end made me think, "Are they going to try hyper-realistic anime faces? Because that doesn't usually work out well..." But, honestly, I'm just excited to be getting another one, so I won't complain TOO much no matter what they do.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I am more inclined to believe its a new ip (or a xenogears related title at my most optimistic.) What point win there in not just calling it Xenoblade 2, if that's what it is.

Poyunch

While I am very excited for the game, the visual design leaves me a bit disappointed. If it were another series I might not have noticed, but it just seems a bit dull in comparison to Xenoblade. And the face at the end made me think, "Are they going to try hyper-realistic anime faces? Because that doesn't usually work out well..." But, honestly, I'm just excited to be getting another one, so I won't complain TOO much no matter what they do.

Anything would be better than the terrible face models of Xenoblade.

A.E Suggs

Sigh....alright nintendo you want me to by a wiiU.....Oh that's right! I'm one of the few mutherfuckers that actually owns a wiiU!

Over the course of a few pages I guess we lost about 10 people at the most by it having multiplayer in it. I mean why wouldn't it, I can't remember the last time a single player game was a bigger system seller than a multiplayer one so I don't know why this is a surprise.

Clevinger

Needs more color, and the face at the end looked like ass, but then again Xenoblade looked way, way better when it was released than when it was first unveiled, right? And they didn't get the Xenoblade composers back? That sucks.

Everything else looks great.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Anything would be better than the terrible face models of Xenoblade.

I admittedly hated them at first, but got used to them. Though obviously I would NOT want to go back to them. It's obvious that they won't have to cut quite so many corners with this new game, but it doesn't guarantee that it won't look awkward all the same. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Persona86

Banned
So anyone think we will have split screen coop with this? So one player is on the tv and the other on the WiiU gamepad, without slowdown? That would be pretty cool.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's a bummer this exists because it means, if Xenoblade's anything to go by, we now know the best the Wii U can look ;)

Which looks quite good, but I'm just saying, Xenoblade's grass textures were the most amazing graphical thing on the wii to me. Just because there was so much of it.

skypunch

Banned
This is just speculation but at the 0:41 mark in the trailer, it looks like the "doll" that is stationed next to you has ether flowing through its armour just like the faces had in Xenoblade. Could be ether, anyway.

Sophia

IN TAKAHASHI WE TRUST.

brb, going go to watch the video of the mech taking off again just because I don't seem to fully grasp the scale of the world.

majik13

So anyone think we will have split screen coop with this? So one player is on the tv and the other on the WiiU gamepad, without slowdown? That would be pretty cool.

that would be pretty sick, and i am sure they could scale back IQ for splitscreen, its not like it is unheard of. Its just will they do it?

Seems like it could be a first, to play a gigantic open world RPG splitscreen. I am sure it has been done somewhere, but I dont remember any.

Doombear

No. He killed one enemy before he died. The pop-up is a drop from that enemy. Lol.

I thought the exact same thing, but going back to watch the trailer again I don't know. I think the reddish box is the monster HP, your HP is below that. I think the monster that jumps actually kills "Tester" who had pretty low HP (hence the warning at the bottom perhaps?).

If you look at some of the other fights, the monster HP is that red box and even in the gif that red box seems to match the HP on the jumper.

duckroll

I thought the exact same thing, but going back to watch the trailer again I don't know. I think the reddish box is the monster HP, your HP is below that. I think the monster that jumps actually kills "Tester" who had pretty low HP (hence the warning at the bottom perhaps?).

If you look at some of the other fights, the monster HP is that red box and even in the gif that red box seems to match the HP on the jumper.

There are two enemies. He killed the enemy he was targeting, and got the drop, but the other enemy jumped on him and killed him at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom