• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Shadow Galaxy easily the best wallpaper. Never going to change it.

Does anyone else think the sound on this thing is relatively bad with headphones? I fixed it by playing with the equalizer but the stock sound was really muddy with my Sennheisers.

Wouldn't say it's bad but something is off. One time I went to advanced options and I don't know what I did but it lowered the overall volume and no matter what I do, try setting thinks to default, it won't change the volume back to higher sound. I have to have the volume at 80% to get the most of but before that 60 - 70% was already overkill.

As someone who is still on his Galaxy S4, what should I expect if I want to go with the S8(+)?

Does anyone else think the sound on this thing is relatively bad with headphones? I fixed it by playing with the equalizer but the stock sound was really muddy with my Sennheisers.

That's a bit concerning. Which Sennheisers?

quesalupa

That's a bit concerning. Which Sennheisers?
HD 598. I'm using these settings and it sounds great now.
Y48WRBTl.jpg]

Those who are interested in animated wallpapers check out
Edit: Galaxy pack by maxelus.net in the play store

Damn these are so legit. I ended up getting it for free as I had a bunch of playstore credit stacked thanks to the Google Opinion Rewards app. (Seriously, you guys should get in on that if you haven't already.) I was also worried it was gonna look funky on S8's aspect ratio, but it looks just damn fine.

What the hell is an infinity wallpaper? As in the awkward default 18.5:9 resolution wallpaper?

It's a set of wallpapers samsung put out. At first I thought it was supposed to blend in with the bezel (and it does) but I think it's shtick is that it crosses over between your home screen, lock screen and always on display as one style or look. (They're really plain though.)

Are these selling out, or is stock reasonable?

I just got paid about 45 hours worth of overtime that I worked in March and can afford one right away. I was thinking about getting one later this year but that OT pay ended up being much larger than I expected, so I plan to go Monday to T-Mobile in my neighborhood and see if they've got any around.

I know that it obviously depends on where you live, and while I know flagship phones do have a tendency to sell out pretty quick, it's not a market I have a lot of experience in, as I tend to do my upgrading well after release date on the phones I pick up.

I think this is only the second phone that's ever kind of urged an early adopter purchase out of me (it would be the first one that I actually follow through on), but I am truly in love with the infinity screen design and I'm sure the under-the-hood specs work out nicely, too.

Plus, it's my birthday in a few weeks... Got nothing else in life that really pops out as a treat-myself kinda thing right now, other than a few games I plan to pick up this month.

Treo360

This is the bomb. Sapphire (HD) is great - what others are people's favorites, I don't think I'm going to go through all 25 lol.
Lol glad you all like it, I had something like this back in the gingerbread days before I made my switch to windows phone.

If you folks like this, try earth&moon pro. I think there's a free version.

On another tip; Is anyone having horrible lag with the default messaging app? I imported some 58k worth of messages from my lumia 950xl, but since then it's about a 5 sec delay to send.

Jeffrey

I just got paid about 45 hours worth of overtime that I worked in March and can afford one right away. I was thinking about getting one later this year but that OT pay ended up being much larger than I expected, so I plan to go Monday to T-Mobile in my neighborhood and see if they've got any around.

I know that it obviously depends on where you live, and while I know flagship phones do have a tendency to sell out pretty quick, it's not a market I have a lot of experience in, as I tend to do my upgrading well after release date on the phones I pick up.

I think this is only the second phone that's ever kind of urged an early adopter purchase out of me (it would be the first one that I actually follow through on), but I am truly in love with the infinity screen design and I'm sure the under-the-hood specs work out nicely, too.

Plus, it's my birthday in a few weeks... Got nothing else in life that really pops out as a treat-myself kinda thing right now, other than a few games I plan to pick up this month.

Have no issues around here . I see them in stock at least at best buy and frys.

sun-drop

Mine arrived today, incredible phone. Didn't think​ it would be the upgrade over the s7E it is...but holy shit.

Using the iris scanner and I'm shocked how well it works. I set the press home to unlock option and basically just look at the Iris cam...no need for the mask thing..and right in. Even the finger print scanner hasn't been a problem either.. hardly use it but the times I have it's so responsive..

Man, the iris scanner kind of made me realise how much I actually used my lock screen.

I LOVE how my phone will be getting ready to ask me for a password, then just automagically log me in.

I also love that feeling of turning on the screen and it just unlocking without thinking about it.

However, it's kind of funny how I'll start reading notifications on the lock screen sometimes, then all of a sudden the phone unlocks and it's gone.

It's not really a complaint, just a realisation that while I never had a phone that could insta unlock and that I like that this one can, instant unlocking is not the holy grail all the time

/rambling

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up the VR and controller on Kijiji for a good price. In giving the Gear VR a try I had to take the phone out of the case and it still blows me away.

Initially when I first tried it in store it was hard to get a feeling for the phone with all security shit attached to it.

Izayoi

Banned
Did the iris scanner with my glasses on and it works so much better than before (when I did the scan without).

If you wear glasses I would recommend just leaving them on to register.

Jeffrey

Did the iris scanner with my glasses on and it works so much better than before (when I did the scan without).

If you wear glasses I would recommend just leaving them on to register.

Tried. Still have to readjust my glasses to get it to work. Just easier to use pin lol.

Jeffrey

Wish the phone was less aggressive about memory management. Feels like apps refresh after like the 3rd one, especially for hefty games.

Don't see any options for this like in some Chinese phones. Hmmm.

Crayons

Banned

At the store I work at we haven't even sold one yet. Though I guess it's probably because its an expensive phone in a poor area.

Penguin

So my phone has been frozen for the past 2 hours

Already tried soft resetting and doesn't respond to anything. Anything else can try before turning it into Best Buy?

Hex

Banned
So Samsung is offering free VR and controller with order so I dove in.
Any good space themed or horror themed vr out there for the Samsung VR?

BriGuy

The VR stuff came in a bigger box than the Switch. Really nicely packaged too. I priced the memory card and headphones on Amazon and they were $148 and $120 respectively. Still think I'm going to sell the VR headset though.

sun-drop

Does anyone know how to disable the swipe up/down gesture for app draw access?

I've got these mapped to other functions via Nova and I get the feeling the phone is still bringing up the app draw in the background..so redundant action

Jeffrey

Does anyone know how to disable the swipe up/down gesture for app draw access?

I've got these mapped to other functions via Nova and I get the feeling the phone is still bringing up the app draw in the background..so redundant action
?

Why would TouchWiz launcher swipes affect nova?

NeOak

The Day I take off the glass protector is the day that the phone falls from the belt clip of the Otterbox and falls screen down on to the rocks on the ground at work.

Screen has a nice line from the Bixby button to the power button now. And a dent. RIP.

Hex

Banned
The Day I take off the glass protector is the day that the phone falls from the belt clip of the Otterbox and falls screen down on to the rocks on the ground at work.

Screen has a nice line from the Bixby button to the power button now. And a dent. RIP.

One alpha glass screen protector SOLD.
Sorry it happened, but appreciate the heads up

Moff

just got it
how do I kill bixbie?
is there a way to not have all the app icons these white/grey backgrounds? looked way better on my nexus 5

kirblar

Was thinking of getting a S7E next time it was on sale, but Costco has a $200 GC w/ the phone and was thinking of doing that instead.

The low S7E prices have been around 360-380, the S8 is either 550 or 650.

For someone who doesn't do a ton on their phone beyond web browsing, would paying the extra 170 or 270 be worth it?

Top Bottom